Author Topic: Lifting after a head injury  (Read 6832 times)

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Lifting after a head injury
« on: March 10, 2011, 07:30:32 AM »
How many days (if any) should you wait to lift after a head injury?  Probably no concussion.
R

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
Re: Lifting after a head injury
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 06:14:48 AM »
As long as it dosent bother one while training.May i ask what is the nature of injury?is there any localised pain?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 07:14:57 AM »
How many days (if any) should you wait to lift after a head injury?  Probably no concussion.

What caused the injury?
What was the severity?
What kinds of symptoms were/are present?
Due to all the possible variables, head trauma is a very individualized thing, and a person really ought to consult a health care professional regarding a head injury.

In any event, when choosing to start back, it's always advisable to begin slow, light, and easy.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 05:26:17 PM »
Woke up to pee Tues. morn. and was very dizzy and fell backward and hit head on the footboard of the bed, the top of which is about 18 in. from the floor. 

Head bled pretty profusely and was sweating and nauseous right afterward.  SEemed spaced out that day but could have just been super-aware of it.

Didn't lose consciousness.
Pupils looked and still look even.
Right eye vision seemed blurry on Saturday but maybe it was my imagination.
Head & neck is sore and kind of have a headache today but that could be from the weather.

Didn't lift from Tues. on last week but did light cardio.
Did cardio today.

I've been reading up on it and talked to a paramedic friend and it seems like unless I have additional nausea or headaches or vision etc problems I'm probably fine...but one thing I read said not to lift if you have a concussion...Doesn't seem like I do though.

R

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 06:32:25 PM »
I’m not a doctor, but it's worth mentioning the possibility that your problem(s) may not be a result of the fall, but rather the cause of it.
What I mean is, perhaps the same thing that caused you to feel "spaced out" is also what caused your dizziness earlier and blurred vision later.
Vision and balance issues and can be symptoms of brain circulation problems.

Anterior brain circulation symptoms include:
   Unilateral paresis (weakness)
   Unilateral paresthesia (tingling or numbness)
   Dysphasia or aphasia (difficulty speaking)
   Amaurosis Fugax (visual loss; like a shade being pulled down over the eye)

Posterior brain circulation symptoms include:
   Vertigo (difficulty maintaining equilibrium; sensation of moving around in space, or objects moving around you)
   Ataxia (difficulty in reaching for objects)
   Bilateral vision blurring
   Diplopia (double vision)
   Drop attack (falling without symptoms)

Out of curiosity, have you noticed any abnormal muscle cramping or other unusual symptoms in either arm while exercising lately - anything that presents itself during exercise, but promptly ceases after your workout is over?

Benoitlapierre

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 11:04:05 PM »
Woke up to pee Tues. morn. and was very dizzy and fell backward and hit head on the footboard of the bed, the top of which is about 18 in. from the floor

passed out like this ,,, hypoglycaemia ? need constant complex carbs intake ,,

low blood pressure ? ,,, just start a cycle? ,, using stimulant lately ? change diet ?
Your messed up BLP!

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 11:21:38 AM »
I’m not a doctor, but it's worth mentioning the possibility that your problem(s) may not be a result of the fall, but rather the cause of it.
What I mean is, perhaps the same thing that caused you to feel "spaced out" is also what caused your dizziness earlier and blurred vision later.
Vision and balance issues and can be symptoms of brain circulation problems.

Anterior brain circulation symptoms include:
   Unilateral paresis (weakness)
   Unilateral paresthesia (tingling or numbness)
   Dysphasia or aphasia (difficulty speaking)
   Amaurosis Fugax (visual loss; like a shade being pulled down over the eye)

Posterior brain circulation symptoms include:
   Vertigo (difficulty maintaining equilibrium; sensation of moving around in space, or objects moving around you)
   Ataxia (difficulty in reaching for objects)
   Bilateral vision blurring
   Diplopia (double vision)
   Drop attack (falling without symptoms)

Out of curiosity, have you noticed any abnormal muscle cramping or other unusual symptoms in either arm while exercising lately - anything that presents itself during exercise, but promptly ceases after your workout is over?

Aw sheesh, now I'm getting nervous :-\

I've had "almost cramping" in my right foot that started the last few months..it feels like it's going to cramp but I stretch it out and it doesn't.  This is at rest.

I also have tremor occasionally in my left arm/hand (not during exercise)...that was more pronounced than usual the other day.
R

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 11:24:28 AM »
Woke up to pee Tues. morn. and was very dizzy and fell backward and hit head on the footboard of the bed, the top of which is about 18 in. from the floor

passed out like this ,,, hypoglycaemia ? need constant complex carbs intake ,,

low blood pressure ? ,,, just start a cycle? ,, using stimulant lately ? change diet ?

I had been taking MucinexD for a cold for a couple days prior...it seems to suppress your appetite so I wasn't eating as much.

My blood pressure is usually low normal but that is a good idea, I will check it.

No stimulant..but maybe that MucinexD is kind of a stimulant.

No cycle ever (if you mean drugs)...but I was near my "cycle" if you mean menstrual period.
R

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 11:55:03 AM »
Aw sheesh, now I'm getting nervous :-\

I've had "almost cramping" in my right foot that started the last few months..it feels like it's going to cramp but I stretch it out and it doesn't.  This is at rest.

I also have tremor occasionally in my left arm/hand (not during exercise)...that was more pronounced than usual the other day.

First of all, RELAX... 8)
Sometimes, when we are "looking" for problems or explanations, we notice & read more into "normal" things that happen all the time.

Consider if you have experienced/are experiencing any other of the above symptoms.

Also, ask your paramedic friend to take brachial blood pressure readings in both of your arms.

I doubt you'll find anything, but if there is a Systolic BP difference of greater than 15-20 mm Hg between arms, ask him about that.
And, if he’s unsure, shoot me a response or PM and we can discuss what it might mean.

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 12:30:10 PM »
Thats much greatly exlained and put up by Montague.Stella you need to take it little easy! :) Wish you a speedy recovery!

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 07:33:19 AM »
Thanks guys! :)
R

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 11:06:34 AM »
WOW I hope you are OK

I rolled my car last year and got a hefty smack on my head when the roof caved in.
I had only 2 injuries, a golf ball sized lump on my forehead and a cut neck from the seat belt.
After a few days I felt OK and started training again

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 07:32:24 AM »
WOW I hope you are OK

I rolled my car last year and got a hefty smack on my head when the roof caved in.
I had only 2 injuries, a golf ball sized lump on my forehead and a cut neck from the seat belt.
After a few days I felt OK and started training again

Thx.  Back lifting again :)
R

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 05:59:05 PM »
Thx.  Back lifting again :)

Have you experienced any more symptoms?

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 07:24:32 PM »

No stimulant..but maybe that MucinexD is kind of a stimulant.

yes.  I take the severe kind and it has 120 mg of psuedoephedrine.  It gives me jitters when I first begin taking it.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 06:41:29 AM »

Have you experienced any more symptoms?

Just dizziness.

yes.  I take the severe kind and it has 120 mg of psuedoephedrine.  It gives me jitters when I first begin taking it.

Do you take it often?  I guess a friend of ours takes one every day.
R

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 07:02:07 AM »
Just dizziness.

Well, it's hard to say what's causing it, but you may want to see a doctor if it continues and/or worsens.
I work in a vascular lab, and before beginning various tests, we ask patients a series of questions that often indicate symptoms of different pathologies.

Of course, questions alone are not completely sufficient; they just give a starting point for diagnosis.
There is a variety of non-invasive testing that can pinpoint or rule out causes of symptoms - should you get to that point.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 06:14:54 PM »
Are you feeling better?

Discuss

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 12:47:59 PM »
Are you feeling better?

Discuss
yep Iam Curious too

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 06:57:34 AM »
Thanks guys, yes feeling much better..had more headaches but that could have been the weather.  Still dizzy occasionally when I stand up etc but nothing crazy...it's actually kind of pleasant (other than the time I fell).

And thanks for that info Monty.

Discuss

;D
R