Author Topic: ***Zuffa buys Strikeforce***  (Read 4008 times)

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
***Zuffa buys Strikeforce***
« on: March 12, 2011, 10:49:59 AM »
LAS VEGAS -- In a transaction that will forever change the mixed martial arts world, Zuffa, the parent company of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, has purchased its top competitor, Strikeforce.

UFC president Dana White spoke to MMA Fighting exclusively about why the historic purchase happened, the terms of the deal, what this means for the Strikeforce brand and fighters and much more.

http://sherdognet.craveonline.com/index.php#http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/03/12/zuffa-purchases-strikeforce/
Predictions
 40/61

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
Re: ***Zuffa buys Strikeforce***
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 11:29:18 AM »
Omg.

I wonder if they bought SF just to terminate Barnett and Fedor's contracts.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 11:52:04 AM »
Omg.

I wonder if they bought SF just to terminate Barnett and Fedor's contracts.

I'm waiting for Spin/evolver/stoolpshr 's can related posts.
Predictions
 40/61

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 12:53:41 PM »
LOL-- Maybe the "not that great a fighter but all around good guy" Randy Coture can fight Fedor now assuming the UFC doesn't cut him on the spot.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 01:10:16 PM »
What will we debate about on here now? LOL!

Strikeforce will be kind of like what the WEC was until the contract with showtime is up.

It's not like they are killing the Strikeforce brand yet...

But this is an AMAZING day in MMA.

This is what all MMA fans want to see. This will help prevent another Fedor debacle from ever happening again.

Can we all get along now?

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »
UFC has to honor the Strikeforce contracts a part of the deal;  The only thing certain according to Dana is Paul Daley won't fight in the UFC ever....

I want to see Gil Melendez fighting for the UFC LW belt before the end of the year,  make this happen!!!!

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 01:29:16 PM »
I'd heard some rumors about this going down but didn't think they were true...holy shit!!!

This is a HUGE day in MMA!  No more arguing about undisputed weight class champs. Can you imagine!  If they did this deal right, we're going to get to see Gilbert Melendez go up against the top UFC lightweights. Overreem against the top Heavies!!  I love it!

How long before Barnette and Lindland get shit canned...lol.

As for Fedor, I bet M1 gets in the middle of this and some manage to deprive me of a Fedor humiliation by the best fighters in the world.
w

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 01:54:41 PM »
As much as i am delighted by this, it makes me wonder what is on the horizon for the sport. Vince McMahon's monopolization of the wrestling business eventually ruined it with only TNA emerging as what can only be deemed at best  a mediocre "rival" organisation. This is where the similarities come to light as TNA is filled with people cut from WWE just as SF is full of talent cut from UFC - sure there are the little leagues to go to if all else fails but nobody is going to make a real impact or living fighting for Bellator or Dream (how is it still in business?)

I look forward to the unification fights and i genuinely believe there are solid acquisitions there for Dana to use, he has the potential to make several outstanding cards in late 2011 - 2012 if he so wishes. As much as i disagree with the opinions that Overeem is #1 i think he is going to have some very solid fights against men just as big and just as strong, although he does bring an excellent striking game into the fold which is perhaps only matched / bettered by Cain & JDS (perhaps!).

Every fans dream come true (for the short term atleast), i still remember the buzz of seeing the PRIDE guys in the octagon for the first time. Whilst i do not generally agree with alot that Evolver says, i believe he is spot on when he states that M1 could intervene to save Fedor from losing badly at this stage of his career.

This is certainly a great day.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 02:27:37 PM »
The only downside to this is that fighters will have less leverage and bargaining power. In the long run I do think this is better for the fighters though.

This is super exciting. So many possibilities!
w

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »
Wow!!!!!!

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 03:38:43 PM »
Does this mean Carwin gets to welcome Fedor into the ufc?!  Hopefully fedor gives it another go...I know carwin needs an opponent for his upcoming fight.

I love all these he's now in the same org.  Wow

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 08:33:47 PM »
What will we debate about on here now? LOL!

Strikeforce will be kind of like what the WEC was until the contract with showtime is up.

It's not like they are killing the Strikeforce brand yet...

But this is an AMAZING day in MMA.

This is what all MMA fans want to see. This will help prevent another Fedor debacle from ever happening again.

Can we all get along now?
WEC was the best fight card available......UFC managed to turn it in to shit.....lets see how they use the strikeforce deal to even further the downfall of MMA in this country...

bench

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 08:58:49 PM »
Downfall of MMA ???

Last time I checked the popularity was at an all time. And now we get to see everyone fight eachother.

Clearly you're a Pride fanboy pinning over the "old days"... Lol. You lose.
w

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 09:47:21 PM »
I wonder how the ufc will save face when the strikeforce fighters win their titles.....like pride fighters have done. ;D

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 09:55:06 PM »
I wonder how the ufc will save face when the strikeforce fighters win their titles.....like pride fighters have done. ;D

Rua is the only Pride guy that has a UFC title, but he lost to TUF winner Forrest...there is nothing more humiliating.

The only StrikeForce guys that have a chance are Alistar and Gilbert. If they get UFC titles I got no problem with it. It'll make for awesome fights.
w

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 10:05:30 PM »
LOL but Nog, Rampage and Anderson won the belts too.

Page beat the suppose number one guy Chuck lol...and Nog beat Tim.

Both men were second best at their weight in Pride.

;)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 10:31:09 PM »
Who gives a shit...they're all UFC fighters now...UFC wins :-)
w

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 08:18:15 AM »
WEC was the best fight card available......UFC managed to turn it in to shit.....lets see how they use the strikeforce deal to even further the downfall of MMA in this country...

bench

:o

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 10:20:22 AM »

bench

Where are the best WEC fighters now?

You have got to be kidding me....Name one WEC fighters who is unhappy that they merged.

Any true MMA fan wants is to see all the best be available to fight the best.  Simple.

Too many of you have hated Dana White for so long you can't see the positives in this buyout.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 11:32:58 AM »
From what i've read, it looks like the two orgs won't co-mingle fighters...and least now. 

It's so ridiculous that we're all still arguing about what org has the best fighters... or that org X produces the best etc, when most top level guys have been around a few orgs.

Let's really just try to discuss up and coming fights and stop wasting time with name calling when one doesn't agree with a viewpoint.

I do hope that eventually the fighters with strikeforce are mingled in with fighers from the ufc.  The possible matches are awesome.  I'd love to see an Overeem/Cain fight and a Rogers/Lesnar fight.  ALso Carwin/Fedor.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 12:40:07 PM »
From what i've read, it looks like the two orgs won't co-mingle fighters...and least now.  

It's so ridiculous that we're all still arguing about what org has the best fighters... or that org X produces the best etc, when most top level guys have been around a few orgs.

Let's really just try to discuss up and coming fights and stop wasting time with name calling when one doesn't agree with a viewpoint.

I do hope that eventually the fighters with strikeforce are mingled in with fighers from the ufc.  The possible matches are awesome.  I'd love to see an Overeem/Cain fight and a Rogers/Lesnar fight.  ALso Carwin/Fedor.

Dana is going to honor all of the StrikeForce contracts.  Until then, it will be "business as usual".  Once they're up though, StrikeForce will cease to exist and StrikeForce fighters will have the option of signing with the UFC (if the UFC wants them) or going elsewhere.

And for those that think there are no other options for fighters, you should check out Bellator (MTV2) and MFC (HDNet).  Both have been producing awesome fight cards.
w

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 01:46:34 PM »
Rua is the only Pride guy that has a UFC title, but he lost to TUF winner Forrest...there is nothing more humiliating.

really?  how many tuf fighters have been ufc champs?

E
E

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 02:16:42 PM »
really?  how many tuf fighters have been ufc champs?

E

3 that I can think of.  What's your point?
w

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 02:38:57 PM »
3 that I can think of.  What's your point?

so i guess 3 tuf fighters have humiliated the entire ufc organization

not to mention keith jardine (who got cut) beating ufc poster boy chuck liddell

E
E

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 03:08:35 PM »
so i guess 3 tuf fighters have humiliated the entire ufc organization

not to mention keith jardine (who got cut) beating ufc poster boy chuck liddell

E

I guess you don't understand.  All of you anti-UFC Pride fan boys always try to insult new MMA fans by calling them "TUF Newbies".  You're implying that anyone who became a fan of MMA by watching TUF, is not a real "hardcore" MMA fan and you look down on them.  Your argument is that all of these TUF guys are a bunch of cans that would have been demolished in Pride.  It's you guys who think that, not UFC fans.  So, when a TUF fighter beats the best Pride has to offer, it's a bit humiliating isn't it? 
w