Author Topic: Solution re 5 concentric, superposed discs  (Read 21461 times)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Re: Solution re 5 concentric, superposed discs
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2011, 10:18:45 AM »
 The answer is not online.

Because the disks turn at different speeds and directions, it can be once again at the same position it was after 7 minutes at 9 minutes relative to itself and disk E, which corresponds to the position disk A was at 2 minutes after it started spinning, disk B 3 minutes after it started spinning and disk E 9 minutes after it started spinning. Why can't you guys understand this? :)

SUCkMYMUSCLE
No it cant.
according to this:
19 minutes for disc D to make 1 360* revolution
So it has to take at LEAST 19 minutes for the disc to make one revolution.
And since it has to be 7 minutes away from the starting point, that means it has to go more than 1 revolution to be lined up, which cant happen with less than 19 minutes.
I dont know what the right answer is, but yours is wrong.

Your answer of 9 minutes puts this disc 9 minutes away from its starting point, when the prompt CLEARLY STATES that for disc D to be lined up, it has to be 7 minutes away from its starting point.
This in and of itself renders your answer incorrect. The only way that could work, is if the disc spun so fast that it made a full revolution + some in that time, which it doesnt, as seen by the prompt stating it takes 19 min for disc D to go one full revolution.

Accept it SMM, you fucked up.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2011, 12:00:08 PM »
No it cant.
according to this:So it has to take at LEAST 19 minutes for the disc to make one revolution.

Nowhere does it state the disk has to complete one full revolution.

And since it has to be 7 minutes away from the starting point, that means it has to go more than 1 revolution to be lined up, which cant happen with less than 19 minutes.

How is the fact that it must be at least 7 minutes away fom the starting point means it has to complete one full revolution? It doesen't.

I dont know what the right answer is, but yours is wrong.

My answer is 100% correct.

Your answer of 9 minutes puts this disc 9 minutes away from its starting point, when the prompt CLEARLY STATES that for disc D to be lined up, it has to be 7 minutes away from its starting point.
  The starting point are disimilar as well as the direction that they turn, hence the disk can align with the ot on disk E in the position that the red dot was at seven minutes on disk D. This is what you fail to understand.

This in and of itself renders your answer incorrect. The only way that could work, is if the disc spun so fast that it made a full revolution + some in that time, which it doesnt, as seen by the prompt stating it takes 19 min for disc D to go one full revolution.

And it can do exaty that, since the speed of revolution is disimlar for alll the disks. :)

Accept it SMM, you fucked up.

No I haven't

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2011, 12:01:23 PM »
lol, no surprise that SMM fucked up. 

suckmymuscle

« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2011, 12:05:50 PM »
lol, no surprise that SMM fucked up. 

No, I haven't. It's not my fault you guys are too stupid to understand this no matter how many times I explain this to you. The dot on disk D can be again in the same position it was after 7 minutes two minutes latter(9 minutes) because the disks spin at different speeds and directions, so there is no corelation between the amount of time that transpired and the positions the dot will be relative to the position on the other disk.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
Re: Solution.
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2011, 12:37:27 PM »
Where do you continually come up with 162+? It says nothing of the sort on their website.

Oh and while we're at it........how did that whole Delta thing work out for you?

LMAO.........trolls..... .at least Adonis is consistant. ;)

1. Delta Force don't have UNARMED training exercises, all their training is LIVE
2. Delta doesn't have a reserve division, hahahah

nice try though

Lumberjack88

• Getbig III
  • "Big Dreamers Never Sleep" - David Lee Roth
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2011, 12:48:02 PM »
I looked at this problem and immediately thought of the "least common multiple" concept, so I tried it that way. Don't know if my answer is correct...

Ok, let's state the facts first...

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ___________________

*Premises*

Starting Positions:

Unknown

Directions of movement:

Either clockwise or counterclockwise (i.e. it doesn't matter)

Starting Time [minutes]:

Time for Disks to complete 360° turn [minutes  ||  seconds]: (360° time)

Disk A = 7    ||  420

Disk B = 13  ||  780

Disk C = 17  ||  1020

Disk D = 19  ||  1140

Disk E = 23  ||  1380

Angular velocity (no acceleration involved/constant velocity) [°/second]:

Disk A = 6/7

Disk B = 6/13

Disk C = 6/17

Disk D = 6/19

Disk E = 6/23

Time that elapsed from the start of each disk rotation until the position of the red dot alignment was reached [minutes  ||  seconds]: (first alignment Time)

Disk A = 2  ||  120

Disk B = 3  ||  180

Disk C = 4  ||  240

Disk D = 7  ||  420

Disk E = 9  ||  540

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ___________________

*Solution*

We now know from the premises where the alignment point of every disk is, in regards to time. It doesn't matter whether the disks are spinning CW or CCW, because ultimately each disk reaches the alignment point, due to the fact that the direction of movement is constant (i.e. it doesn't alter from CW to CCW or vice versa) and velocity ≠ 0.

We also know when each disk reaches the alignment point again, for the second time, third time, fourth time etc. We can put it mathematically like this:

Alignment[*i*] := (first alignment time) + (360° time) x (i)            Dimension=[minutes]

whereas i is the i-th time the aligned position is reached again and i is element of the natural numbers:

i (element of) { 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ...}

In the concrete case of Disk A, the formula can be written as follows:

a[*i*] := 2 + 7 x i

That means for the first alignment point, which we can calculate by setting i = 1, we get:

a[1] = 2 + 7 x 1 = 9 [minutes]

some more examples:

a[2] = 2 + 7 x 2 = 16 [minutes]

a[4] = 2 + 7 x 4 = 30 [minutes] etc.

that means after 9 minutes since the disks have started to spin, disk A reaches it's alignment position for the 1st time again, after 30 minutes for the 4th time again.

If we make this formula for every disk, we get this:

This mathematica program defines the above function for each disk, a[i_] for Disk A, b[i_] for Disk B etc.

Then it makes a list with all solutions of this functions by inserting many numbers from the set of natural numbers for i and saves these results in a list. In the program you see, mathematica has calculated these functions for i between 1 and 1'000'000.

The list for Disk A for the first 30 integers looks like this:

{9, 16, 23, 30, 37, 44, 51, 58, 65, 72, 79, 86, 93, 100, 107, 114, 121, 128, 135, 142, 149, 156, 163, 170, 177, 184, 191, 198, 205, 212}

Now that we have a list of times that represent the reaching of each disk's alignment point, we can look what times all these disks have in common, e.g. if the same number occurs in all the lists of each disk, then it's the time all of the red dots are at the same position.

Example:

a[2] = 16 [minutes]

b[1] = 16 [minutes]

when a reaches the alignment positions for the second time again, b reaches the alignment position for the first time again. If this problem consisted of these two discs only, the solution would be 16 minutes. Now we have to find the times when every Disk (from a to e) function reaches the same solution time. 

This is how to do it: The lists can be viewed as normal sets of numbers, and we're basically looking for an intersection of all these lists/sets of numbers, i.e. the numbers these lists have in common.

These are the times when all the discs reach the same positions (Dimension = [minutes]):

{477857, 1153896, 1829935, 2505974, 3182013, 3858052, 4534091, 5210130, 5886169, 6562208}

The first time they reach this position is 477857 minutes, that's 331 days 20 hours 17 minutes .

And that's my take on this whole problem... i did it quite intuitively, don't know if it's correct...

@suckmymuscle: *the nine minute solution*

Here's how the disks are situated after 9 minutes (in my opinion):

Disk A : Uses the first 2 minutes to reach the alignment position, then reaches it again after another 7 minutes have elapsed. So that means that Disk A is at its alignment position after 9 minutes.

Disk E : Uses the whole 9 minutes to reach its alignment position for the first time. So after 9 minutes, Disk E is at its alignment position, just like Disk A.

Disk B : Uses the first 3 minutes to reach the alignment position for the first time. It reaches the alignment position again after another 13 minutes have elapsed. So after 9 minutes in total, Disk B is about 190° away from it's alignment position.

Same problem with Disk C & D.

Because B,C & D are not at their alignment positions after 9 minutes, 9 minutes can't be the solution to this problem.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2011, 01:36:30 PM »
lol poor suckmymuscle...  is it becoming clear now?

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2011, 01:44:27 PM »
I looked at this problem and immediately thought of the "least common multiple" concept, so I tried it that way. Don't know if my answer is correct...

*Premises*

Starting Positions:

Unknown

Directions of movement:

Starting Time [minutes]:

Disk A = 7    ||  420

Disk B = 13  ||  780

Disk C = 17  ||  1020

Disk D = 19  ||  1140

Disk E = 23  ||  1380

Disk A = 6/7

Disk B = 6/13

Disk C = 6/17

Disk D = 6/19

Disk E = 6/23

Time that elapsed from the start of each disk rotation until the position of the red dot alignment was reached [minutes  ||  seconds]: (first alignment Time)

Disk A = 2  ||  120

Disk B = 3  ||  180

Disk C = 4  ||  240

Disk D = 7  ||  420

Disk E = 9  ||  540

*Solution*

We now know from the premises where the alignment point of every disk is, in regards to time. It doesn't matter whether the disks are spinning CW or CCW, because ultimately each disk reaches the alignment point, due to the fact that the direction of movement is constant (i.e. it doesn't alter from CW to CCW or vice versa) and velocity ≠ 0.

We also know when each disk reaches the alignment point again, for the second time, third time, fourth time etc. We can put it mathematically like this:

Alignment[*i*] := (first alignment time) + (360° time) x (i)            Dimension=[minutes]

whereas i is the i-th time the aligned position is reached again and i is element of the natural numbers:

That means for the first alignment point, which we can calculate by setting i = 1, we get:

some more examples:

that means after 9 minutes since the disks have started to spin, disk A reaches it's alignment position for the 1st time again, after 30 minutes for the 4th time again.

This mathematica program defines the above function for each disk, a[i_] for Disk A, b[i_] for Disk B etc.

Then it makes a list with all solutions of this functions by inserting many numbers from the set of natural numbers for i and saves these results in a list. In the program you see, mathematica has calculated these functions for i between 1 and 1'000'000.

{9, 16, 23, 30, 37, 44, 51, 58, 65, 72, 79, 86, 93, 100, 107, 114, 121, 128, 135, 142, 149, 156, 163, 170, 177, 184, 191, 198, 205, 212}

Now that we have a list of times that represent the reaching of each disk's alignment point, we can look what times all these disks have in common, e.g. if the same number occurs in all the lists of each disk, then it's the time all of the red dots are at the same position.

Example:

a[2] = 16 [minutes]

b[1] = 16 [minutes]

when a reaches the alignment positions for the second time again, b reaches the alignment position for the first time again. If this problem consisted of these two discs only, the solution would be 16 minutes. Now we have to find the times when every Disk (from a to e) function reaches the same solution time. 

This is how to do it: The lists can be viewed as normal sets of numbers, and we're basically looking for an intersection of all these lists/sets of numbers, i.e. the numbers these lists have in common.

These are the times when all the discs reach the same positions (Dimension = [minutes]):

{477857, 1153896, 1829935, 2505974, 3182013, 3858052, 4534091, 5210130, 5886169, 6562208}

The first time they reach this position is 477857 minutes, that's 331 days 20 hours 17 minutes .

And that's my take on this whole problem... i did it quite intuitively, don't know if it's correct...

Disk A : Uses the first 2 minutes to reach the alignment position, then reaches it again after another 7 minutes have elapsed. So that means that Disk A is at its alignment position after 9 minutes.

Disk E : Uses the whole 9 minutes to reach its alignment position for the first time. So after 9 minutes, Disk E is at its alignment position, just like Disk A.

Disk B : Uses the first 3 minutes to reach the alignment position for the first time. It reaches the alignment position again after another 13 minutes have elapsed. So after 9 minutes in total, Disk B is about 190° away from it's alignment position.

Because B,C & D are not at their alignment positions after 9 minutes, 9 minutes can't be the solution to this problem.

holy crap, thanks for doing that. Was an awesome read.
from incomplete data

WhiteCastle

• Getbig III
  • The Wizard of Filth
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2011, 01:50:35 PM »
Yep, nine minutes is definitely wrong. Only a delusional person who thinks they are a genius delta force op (wait, delta force proved to be too much of a bunch of pussies for him) would still cling to this.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2011, 02:22:07 PM »
 Nowhere does it state the disk has to complete one full revolution.

How is the fact that it must be at least 7 minutes away fom the starting point means it has to complete one full revolution? It doesen't.

My answer is 100% correct.
   The starting point are disimilar as well as the direction that they turn, hence the disk can align with the ot on disk E in the position that the red dot was at seven minutes on disk D.

It doesnt matter which way it turns, how fast it turns, any of that, because it takes 7 minutes away from the STARTING POSITION (whichever direction or speed) to be aligned. Rendering your 9 min answer incorrect.
Not that it matters, you will never admit youre wrong, and you cant prove that youre right. So its simple reading comprehension vs. your overinflated sense of IQ.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2011, 02:43:40 PM »
LMAO @ LJ88 actually taking the time........I'd rather just tell Francis he's wrong and watch him melt. :)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2011, 02:51:38 PM »
 ;D

suckmymuscle

« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2011, 03:35:51 PM »

*Premises*

Starting Positions:

Unknown

Directions of movement:

Starting Time [minutes]:

Disk A = 7    ||  420

Disk B = 13  ||  780

Disk C = 17  ||  1020

Disk D = 19  ||  1140

Disk E = 23  ||  1380

Disk A = 6/7

Disk B = 6/13

Disk C = 6/17

Disk D = 6/19

Disk E = 6/23

Disk A = 2  ||  120

Disk B = 3  ||  180

Disk C = 4  ||  240

Disk D = 7  ||  420

Disk E = 9  ||  540

*Solution*

some more examples:

Example:

a[2] = 16 [minutes]

b[1] = 16 [minutes]

Your solution is incorrect, although you did a much better job than Cephiseus.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2011, 03:37:11 PM »
  wow, you guys just don't get it. :)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2011, 03:41:17 PM »
  Your solution is incorrect, although you did a much better job than Cephiseus.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

ROFLMAO, please point out where exactly he fucked up.
from incomplete data

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2011, 03:41:45 PM »
lol our solutions are identical...  as are our dissections of your faulty answer.

anyone with an IQ of 160+ should be able to see this.   ::)

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2011, 03:43:42 PM »
lol our solutions are identical...  as are our dissections of your faulty answer.

anyone with an IQ of 160+ should be able to see this.   ::)
Maybe he's so smart he's retarded......what are those guys called?? You know like rainman smart?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2011, 03:47:27 PM »
i think rainman was autistic or had "savant syndrome" or something... i dunno though never seen the movie.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2011, 03:49:40 PM »

anyone with an IQ of 160+ should be able to see this.

Let me clarify. You are both wrong, but the methods he used to arrive at his conclusion and his rationale was better than yours. This is what I mean when I say he did better than you. But your answer is incorrect.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
  Cephiseus, let me ask you a question: do you really think it took more than a month for the red dots to be aligned for the first time? LMAO! ;D

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Lumberjack88

• Getbig III
  • "Big Dreamers Never Sleep" - David Lee Roth
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2011, 03:51:36 PM »
lol poor suckmymuscle...  is it becoming clear now?

I now realized that we came to the same conclusion via two different approaches (we did use the same premises, though :)). Something tells me that our solution is "correct".

holy crap, thanks for doing that. Was an awesome read.

No problem man!  ;D

LMAO @ LJ88 actually taking the time........I'd rather just tell Francis he's wrong and watch him melt. :)

When you discredit a man's theory, that he so heavily believes in, mathematically... it crushes something deep inside... it's the maximum domination :D

Here is a similar problem:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Word-Problems-2062/Third-Grade-Word-Problem.htm

It's actually fairly easy... I can't picture MIT professors struggling with this problem. Can you picture a mechanical engineering professor struggling with a 5 disk rotation problem? I can't. These guys are able to design space shuttles, motors, ships etc., all of them very complex mechanical systems, where there are not only 5 disks, but 1000, plus there is friction, thermodynamics, electricity etc. involved, yet they fail to answer this question?

Maybe if they had to answer on the spot.. and couldn't use any calculators or computers... then it will become tricky... but with permission to use numerical methods on calculators or computers... it's no big deal. What I and cephissus did was basically modeling the 5 discs with mathematical code. The computer then started to spin these disks mathematically and checked at what times all of the disks were in the aligned position. That's all... no real magic behind it...

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2011, 03:57:04 PM »
When you discredit a man's theory, that he so heavily believes in, mathematically... it crushes something deep inside... it's the maximum domination :D

Here is a similar problem:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Word-Problems-2062/Third-Grade-Word-Problem.htm

It's actually fairly easy... I can't picture MIT professors struggling with this problem. Can you picture a mechanical engineering professor struggling with a 5 disk rotation problem? I can't. These guys are able to design space shuttles, motors, ships etc., all of them very complex mechanical systems, where there are not only 5 disks, but 1000, plus there is friction, thermodynamics, electricity etc. involved, yet they fail to answer this question?

Maybe if they had to answer on the spot.. and couldn't use any calculators or computers... then it will become tricky... but with permission to use numerical methods on calculators or computers... it's no big deal. What I and cephissus did was basically modeling the 5 discs with mathematical code. The computer then started to spin these disks mathematically and checked at what times all of the disks were in the aligned position. That's all... no real magic behind it...

I understand this, but no matter how hard you try or what evidence you produce, Francis will always say you are wrong. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2011, 03:57:54 PM »
  Guys, your solution would be corect - I made the same mistake - if the red dots in the disks were aligned at first, but they aren't. The question is not when the red dots will be aligned again after they start spinning at their own velocities and directions, but when they will be aligned for the first time. Your solution is incorrect.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2011, 03:58:59 PM »
Yeah I don't think suckmymuscle even understands that these sort of problems are usually distributed in a setting where you have access to a computer...

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2011, 04:02:55 PM »
Yeah I don't think suckmymuscle even understands that these sort of problems are usually distributed in a setting where you have access to a computer...

SMM lives in some third world country so he doesn't have access to much of what we take for granted, but he tries hard.