Author Topic: Duke study shows liberal bias of American MSM journalists/news organizations  (Read 2135 times)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Study: CBS's Couric, NBC's Todd Almost as Liberal as DKos; WaPo Left of Firedoglake
By Lachlan Markay | March 21, 2011 | 18:34

Twitter and other social networks have provided social scientists with unprecedented means of measuring human interaction. As it turns out, that fact has implications for the media bias debate.

In a study to be released next month, three Duke University researchers rank politicians and other public figures by political ideology as measured by a formula that incorporates whom they follow on Twitter, and who follows them. "The results dovetailed with ideological ranking systems based on the politicians’ voting records," the New York Times reported on Monday.

If the study is accurate, it demonstrates just how liberal some of America's most prominent journalists really are. Check below the break for some key findings concerning on the not-so-neutral news media.

According to the Duke study:

- NBC's Chuck Todd and CBS's Katie Couric are almost as far left as the Daily Kos,

- The Washington Post and MSNBC are more liberal than far-left blog Firedoglake,

- NBC's Brian Williams and the Los Angeles Times are further left than Andrew Sullivan's blog the Daily Dish,

- MSNBC's Joe Scarborough, a former Republican congressman, is significantly left of center.

Conspicuously absent from the chart of the study's findings was the New York Times, which, as mentioned above, reported on those findings Monday. One wonders where the Gray Lady would fall on the list.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/lachlan-markay/2011/03/21/study-cbss-couric-nbcs-todd-almost-liberal-dkos-wapo-left-firedoglak#ixzz1HLuBGJvf

The chart itself: http://newsbusters.org/sites/default/files/file_attach/twitter-study.pdf

Cue the far-left waterworks. Let me guess, Duke is biased towards the right-wing!

I mean, "FAUX NEWS, FAUX NEWS, FAUX NEWS!!! They're the real bigots! The rest of the organizations are unbiased and straight-shooting!!!! MSNBC = moderate and objective!!!"  ::)

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
I thought this was dead long ago.  People seek information they agree with, the left seeks out left wing sources, the right seeks out right wing sources.  News is now opinion.  Provided humans are writing it or speaking it, they will almost always have a slant or bias.  I just can't believe this is a study.  Of course left wing journalists will follow and be followed by left wing people. 
Abandon every hope...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Study: CBS's Couric, NBC's Todd Almost as Liberal as DKos; WaPo Left of Firedoglake

Twitter and other social networks have provided social scientists with unprecedented means of measuring human interaction. As it turns out, that fact has implications for the media bias debate.

In a study to be released next month, three Duke University researchers rank politicians and other public figures by political ideology as measured by a formula that incorporates whom they follow on Twitter, and who follows them. "The results dovetailed with ideological ranking systems based on the politicians’ voting records," the New York Times reported on Monday.

If the study is accurate, it demonstrates just how liberal some of America's most prominent journalists really are. Check below the break for some key findings concerning on the not-so-neutral news media.

According to the Duke study:

- NBC's Chuck Todd and CBS's Katie Couric are almost as far left as the Daily Kos,

- The Washington Post and MSNBC are more liberal than far-left blog Firedoglake,

- NBC's Brian Williams and the Los Angeles Times are further left than Andrew Sullivan's blog the Daily Dish,

- MSNBC's Joe Scarborough, a former Republican congressman, is significantly left of center.

Conspicuously absent from the chart of the study's findings was the New York Times, which, as mentioned above, reported on those findings Monday. One wonders where the Gray Lady would fall on the list.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/lachlan-markay/2011/03/21/study-cbss-couric-nbcs-todd-almost-liberal-dkos-wapo-left-firedoglak#ixzz1HLuBGJvf

The chart itself: http://newsbusters.org/sites/default/files/file_attach/twitter-study.pdf

Cue the far-left waterworks. Let me guess, Duke is biased towards the right-wing!

I mean, "FAUX NEWS, FAUX NEWS, FAUX NEWS!!! They're the real bigots! The rest of the organizations are unbiased and straight-shooting!!!! MSNBC = moderate and objective!!!"  ::)

they should wait until they release the study before reporting the results

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Not surprising at all. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
how many times have we seen so called results reported on NewsMax or WND and when we did into the actual study (or poll) we see the actual results are not what was reported and often the opposite of what was report (i.e. cherry picking certain results while igoring others)

I'm sure we can trust the site titled "New Busters - Exposing Liberal Media Bias"

for non-biased reporting

Fury

• Getbig V
they should wait until they release the study before reporting the results

Try reading my post dipshit as I linked the chart showing the results of the study. It was also reported by the NY Times (linked through the newsbusters site).  ::)

Your panties are already in a bunch. Too funny.

Serious question, do you even read the threads you respond to? Or do you just like talking out of your ass (I'm leaning towards this given your posting history)?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Try reading my post dipshit as I linked the chart showing the results of the study. It was also reported by the NY Times.  ::)

Your panties are already in a bunch. Too funny.

Serious question, do you even read the threads you respond to? Or do you just like talking out of your ass (I'm leaning towards this given your posting history)?

links don't work (or didn't when I clicked)

when does the actual report come out

I want to see the report or the study and not some biased website spin on the so called results

Fury

• Getbig V
links don't work (or didn't when I clicked)

when does the actual report come out

I want to see the report or the study and not some biased website spin on the so called results

Here's a stunning tidbit: I couldn't give a fuck as to what you want to see. The liberal NY Times article is saying the same things as the newsbusters one.  ::)

Claiming a biased spin in an attempt to cover up the findings is akin to a child sticking their fingers in their ears and shouting at the top of their lungs. Are you 8 or 9 years old, too?

Try reading posts before responding to them next time, champ.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Here's a stunning tidbit: I couldn't give a fuck as to what you want to see. The liberal NY Times article is saying the same things as the newsbusters one.  ::)

Try reading posts before responding to them next time, champ.

do you have a link to the study

I'd rather draw my own conclusions rather then being told what I should think

Fury

• Getbig V
do you have a link to the study

I'd rather draw my own conclusions rather then being told what I should think

Feel free to dig it up on the NYTimes.com. I'm not your personal army. And if you can't even be bothered to read the posts you're responding to then I'm certainly not going to waste my time holding your hand as you travel through the internet.

You're looking pretty immature here. It's cute, really.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Feel free to dig it up on the NYTimes.com. I'm not your personal army. And if you can't even be bothered to read the posts you're responding to then I'm certainly not going to waste my time holding your hand as you travel through the internet.

You're looking pretty immature here. It's cute, really.

so no actual study to review (as I said in my first post)

I'd rather read the study and draw my own conclusions rather than letting NewBusters or the NYT tell me what to think

clearly you're fine not thinking for yourself

to each his own

Fury

• Getbig V
so no actual study to review (as I said in my first post)

I'd rather read the study and draw my own conclusions rather than letting NewBusters or the NYT tell me what to think

clearly you're fine not thinking for yourself

to each his own

The results of the study have been posted. The study itself has not as it's being presented in a few weeks. The NY Times, liberal rag that it is, has seen the study and reported on the results.

And let's be honest, there's a 99.99% chance you will never read the study so feel free to drop the smug, elitist attitude. But it's not surprising that you come off as an arrogant, smug elitist given that you're completely incapable of admitting when you're wrong (Hi, George Washington and the post office!). If I had to guess, I'd say you're from the Bay Area.  :)

Keep getting your panties in a bunch over the notion that the MSM bias towards the left appears to be true.  8)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
The results of the study have been posted. The study itself has not as it's being presented in a few weeks. The NY Times, liberal rag that it is, has seen the study and reported on the results.

And let's be honest, there's a 99.99% chance you will never read the study so feel free to drop the smug, elitist attitude. But it's not surprising that you come off as an arrogant, smug elitist given that you're completely incapable of admitting when you're wrong (Hi, George Washington and the post office!). If I had to guess, I'd say you're from the Bay Area.  :)

Keep getting your panties in a bunch over the notion that the MSM bias towards the left appears to be true.  8)

virtually everytime someone post the results of a poll or study I go find the actual study or poll and read it and almost always find contradictions, misleading or false claims etc..

but shit

why wait for the actual study

let's just run with it

Fury

• Getbig V
virtually everytime someone post the results of a poll or study I go find the actual study or poll and read it and almost always find contradictions, misleading or false claims etc..

but shit

why wait for the actual study

let's just run with it

Hasn't stopped the liberal NY Times, beacon of light in the darkness for the left.

Perhaps you should take it up with your heroes.  :)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Hasn't stopped the liberal NY Times, beacon of light in the darkness for the left.

Perhaps you should take it up with your heroes.  :)

why would I bother

I don't look to the NYT to think for me

kind of funny that the NYT is supposedly biased toward liberals

If that were true then why would they run this story

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
why would I bother

I don't look to the NYT to think for me

kind of funny that the NYT is supposedly biased toward liberals

If that were true then why would they run this story

Man, sometimes irony just crashes down on your head like a Piano doesnt it?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Man, sometimes irony just crashes down on your head like a Piano doesnt it?

the real irony is drawing conclusions from an unpublished study

tonymctones

• Getbig V
follow the link straw it has a graph and everything....

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
follow the link straw it has a graph and everything....

as I mentioned the link didn't work when I tried it the first few times

I've looked since looked at the graph but it's really meaningless without the study

the NYT article (referenced) in the link also doesn't draw any conclusions and the study has not even been released but somehow "NewsBusters has already reached a conclusion

Not suprising considering their stated purpose for existing is:  "Exposing and Combating Liberal Media Bias"

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
I thought this was dead long ago.  People seek information they agree with, the left seeks out left wing sources, the right seeks out right wing sources.  News is now opinion. 

Yep.  You want unbiased, you watch Headline news, where they give you 2 sentences of the events and they move to the next story.

What you get with most media is slanted analysis in the flavor of your choosing.  The fact that most of it is liberal means, well, that most consumers prefer liberal media to conservative media.  If it were any different, networks and advertisers would see people enjoy the right-wing stuff and move there more.  They go where the $ is.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
LOL bro, youre a fuking idiot

Fury

• Getbig V
Yep.  You want unbiased, you watch Headline news, where they give you 2 sentences of the events and they move to the next story.

What you get with most media is slanted analysis in the flavor of your choosing.  The fact that most of it is liberal means, well, that most consumers prefer liberal media to conservative media.  If it were any different, networks and advertisers would see people enjoy the right-wing stuff and move there more.  They go where the $ is.

Hahaha, what? Fox News absolutely annihilates it in the ratings. If most consumers preferred liberal media to conservative then MSNBC wouldn't have the abysmal ratings it does.

It's funny how a little Duke study has lefties like you and Straw Man spinning that hamster wheel that passes for your brains in an attempt to spin it.

Don't worry, though, as these Duke guys aren't the only ones that drew these conclusions. A Gallup poll in September showed that 50% of Americans thought the media was 'too liberal' as opposed to something like a scant 18% that thought it was 'too conservative'.  :D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
MSM = mainstream media = totally liberal, right?

FOX is just a small fringe part of it, overall % wise, right?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
LOL never saw that gallup poll...

http://www.gallup.com/video/123368/americans-tilt-towards-saying-media-liberal.aspx

here you go straw and 240...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Hahaha, what? Fox News absolutely annihilates it in the ratings. If most consumers preferred liberal media to conservative then MSNBC wouldn't have the abysmal ratings it does.

It's funny how a little Duke study has lefties like you and Straw Man spinning that hamster wheel that passes for your brains in an attempt to spin it.
Don't worry, though, as these Duke guys aren't the only ones that drew these conclusions. A Gallup poll in September showed that 50% of Americans thought the media was 'too liberal' as opposed to something like a scant 18% that thought it was 'too conservative'.  :D

how can I be "spinning" a report that hasn't been released yet

do you remember how many times we've seen right wing sites publish articles telling us the results of a poll only to find that the actual results and conclusions were nothing like the claims in the story and often were the opposite of what the site actually reported

All I'm saying is if they are going to try to tell us teh conclusion of a report then they should wait until the report is published so we can read it for ourselfves

I also like how Newsbusters hedged their claim a bit in their own story: