Author Topic: at what age does weight start to drop?  (Read 2253 times)

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
at what age does weight start to drop?
« on: March 22, 2011, 10:14:17 PM »
i figure most naturals begin to suffer strength losses in their 40's or so.  i'm 27 but feel that if i lifted my guts out i would be just as strong as i was when i was 18.  what is the consensus here for natural males?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: at what age does weight start to drop?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 01:19:16 AM »
well i am in May 45 and i can tell you i am still just as strong as i was when i was 20. The only difference is nowadays i have to make sure i use perfect form(as you should do).

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 01:21:54 PM »
The only time where I felt that I was naturally stronger than other times in my life was around age 17.
I remember when we benched around for the first time and the initial weight I used(~120 to 150) was way heavier than anything I used at 25 where I was hellbent on super strict form..
I'm 34 and feel no different compared to 10 years ago.
You outlook, genetics and training will determine when you fall apart - if ever.

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 12:03:17 PM »
i figure most naturals begin to suffer strength losses in their 40's or so.  i'm 27 but feel that if i lifted my guts out i would be just as strong as i was when i was 18.  what is the consensus here for natural males?

Progress for me up to this date. 41 years old, trained for 15 years.

Nn

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 11:17:25 PM »
- Sixty-six here. I have been training (bodybuilding) for that past forty-eight years. I feel just as strong today as ever. I still work out six days a week, lifting about an hour a day and doing 20 - 30 minutes of cardio most weeks. Actually since I retired, my workouts have been more consistent than when I worked. I don't expect to stop lifting until I die, sometime in the distant future.

-Never did much gear. Our family doctor prescribed  D-bol when I was eighteen. I was on it for about six months and again when I was twenty-nine for three months and one last time, one cycle when I was about fifty. The past two years, I've been on doctor prescribed TRT, injecting 140 mg testosterone cypionate, once a week. Other than that, I eat well, use protein supplements and creatine. Again being retired, I get at least 8 hours sleep a night.

I am 5'11" tall and weigh 217 lbs. most days. I would guess my bodyfat at around 10 to 11%. Not real big, but really don't have the genetics to get big. Waist 34", chest 47" arms 17", quads 26"....like I said, I am not real big. I definitely could stand to get a little more cut....but I like to eat too much for that to happen anytime soon.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 02:05:34 PM »
Im 27 and making steady progress, way stronger and bigger than when I was 19. Its great to hear from the older guys that they are still going strong and not losing any steam.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 03:42:41 AM »
At 55,I`m stronger on a lot of stufgf,but weaker on a few things such as squats due to my bad back.

Keep pumping,age is no excuse,if it feels heavy,it is heavy,fuck the numbers anyway.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 11:19:03 PM »
At 55,I`m stronger on a lot of stufgf,but weaker on a few things such as squats due to my bad back.

Keep pumping, age is no excuse, if it feels heavy, it is heavy, fuck the numbers anyway.

Totally agree that one should never give up the ship. Whatever one can do, they should do it. I don't have back issues like you, but I do really heavy leg presses as opposed to squats. Squats are better and harder and if your back is compromised, probably not advisable. A couple of other good leg exercises one can do is hack squats and reverse hack squats on a hack squat machine. One's back is more stabilized using a machine. This is good if you have a bad back. It doesn't give you all the benefits of a full squat without the aid of a machine.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
This is a great thread.  I"m 33 in a month and have been at it since 1992 (19 years).

Strength is still great.  I agree with most, that form has to be a priority because injuries nowadays aren't as forgiving as they were in younger days.  And, they're more frequent. 

The key, i feel, to staying strong and big is to not take too much time off.  At older ages, muscle is harder to build..  but can be maintained with training.  SO, don't lose it with too much time off. 

I've also lightened up the weights a tad in lieu of more repetitions, which I think is key also.

barrettaswine

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 09:19:45 AM »
I am 52 years old and I am as strong today as twenty years ago. The only difference is the next day after legs, I don't have the recovery I used to have.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 10:42:56 AM »
never give up guys.  ;D

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 11:52:48 AM »
never give up guys.  ;D
No matter what :)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 02:17:27 PM »
Bunch of strong old bastards in this thread !!  ;D

Keep pumping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 09:17:29 AM »
I've trained men in their mid 50's and 60's who had never worked out before and they all gained strength and muscle size. Nothing overwhelming to the average weight trainee, but for them great results. But there is a Bell Curve where body strength and muscle mass is concerned. The cause-affect when the body produces less of the chemicals /hormones/etc. Results being less recovery abilities, strength and body mass. The all important internal organs are also affected.

The age of decline depends on genetics.  The mental attitude is also a major influence. Some are starting to become old at 40, others at 80 (I see a lot of old young guy's around these days). For weight training, recovery is a most important factor. Where less is more, as far as aging & training goes. Cutting back on training days & gym time may be an important adjustment for a lot of older men. Can do a lot with just twice or three times a week workouts. You may not increase those 18" guns any more but you may keep what you have into your 60's and 70's. Just think, you could be the biggest & baddest MoFo in the rest home. Good Luck.
F