Author Topic: Direct Arm Training  (Read 5768 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Direct Arm Training
« on: March 31, 2011, 04:44:32 AM »
I have went through periods where i never directly trained my arms just using Basic movements for my chest, back and shoulders...such as..
              Bench press
              bb rows
              bb press
              chin ups
              paralell bar dips

nothing new but i would like to know peoples opinions on doing no direct arm training.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Direct Arm Training
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 09:09:09 AM »
I haven't done any direct arm work for quite a number of years. The arms seem to respond very well with the basic exercises, without special attention, for me anyway.

I believe that too much special attention to curls, triceps presses, etc actually may slow down progress in getting arm mass for a lot of people.If insisting on doing arm work than a couple of sets, three on occasion, should be all that is required. Going with the common logical theme, biceps with back or any other pulling movement. Triceps with chest/delts or any other pushing motion.

In my beginning years of serious training I included direct arm work. Favored BB curls & French presses (DB's). To be honest, for me, any direct arm exercise is one of the most boring things in the world. Met a lot of lifters & BB'ers over the years and learned a lot about what worked, and did not work, for them regarding arm mass. Came to the conclusion that one method never will work for all (like anything else in BB'ing). Though the BB cheat curl and the straight up dip (never leaning forward) can produce the most mass, in the shorter period, for quite a few.

Someone (sorry can't remember the name) suggested close grip chins (in another thread), which is one of the finer exercises for the biceps. If preformed the correct way. Good Luck.
F

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 07:47:55 AM »
Donny suggested chin ups for the biceps

as far as direct arm training......yes.....I am very much in favor of it. I think that tris get worked during chest and delts......but there are certain exercises.....such as close grips for tris......one arm preachers for bis.....that really work the bis and tris specifically......to really bring quality to the arms.

But I must mention that I only perform 8 sets for bis and 8 sets for tris.....so I certainly don't over train the arms......you are accurate in saying that the arms do get some work through presses and rows.

In the end.....each individual must decide what is a sufficient workload for the arms.....some blokes get enough stimulation from pressing and rowing movements. My .02.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 08:26:06 AM »
Donny suggested chin ups for the biceps

as far as direct arm training......yes.....I am very much in favor of it. I think that tris get worked during chest and delts......but there are certain exercises.....such as close grips for tris......one arm preachers for bis.....that really work the bis and tris specifically......to really bring quality to the arms.

But I must mention that I only perform 8 sets for bis and 8 sets for tris.....so I certainly don't over train the arms......you are accurate in saying that the arms do get some work through presses and rows.

In the end.....each individual must decide what is a sufficient workload for the arms.....some blokes get enough stimulation from pressing and rowing movements. My .02.
yes you are correct itīs an individuel thing

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 09:09:58 AM »
You want good arms, hit them directly biceps-triceps IN THE SAME WORKOUT.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 09:49:23 AM »

X2

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 11:11:14 AM »
for me arms are the show piece of a bodybuilder, i couldnt not train them directly.... to add to that, i love training them, probly my most looked forward to workout

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 12:29:22 PM »

Agree..some guys go too far doing that though, like 20 sets each for bis and tris.

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 01:01:49 PM »

Agree also. I made some of my best gains when I quit going heavy all the time and did more (80%)
 bi-set & tri-set type workouts with lighter weights and lest rest.
Masters- 50-54
148#

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 01:23:57 PM »
I see guys doing biceps with chest...makes absolutely no sense to me...or tris and shoulders ::). Stupid splits in my opinion. Yea yea Dorian did it, so what? I dont give a shit.
Arms shouldnt be treated like secondary bodyparts...like calves or abs. They must have their own day.
Thats my opinion.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 02:15:09 PM »
jpm's advice of 3 sets is good. hit em twice a week, 3 hard sets each. tri's maybe 4. stay away from failure but use heavy weight and moderate rep range.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 03:10:35 AM »
for me arms are the show piece of a bodybuilder, i couldnt not train them directly.... to add to that, i love training them, probly my most looked forward to workout

Same here - in all my years of training I don't think I've ever disliked a bicep or tricep workout.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 04:16:52 AM »
Good points...I must admit after i have not worked my Arms for a while and then i do Incline barbell extensions...i feel it the next day because it gives a great stretch. When i was doing Wing chun(Ving Tsun) i read a book that suggested a very Basic routine that included close grip Benches to really give you power in punches(the punches in wing chun come mainly from your middle).. it was great. I am really a "Cross Trainer" and am not as such a massive guy but i have had good results from weight training.As for training Arms alone..yes i have done this too and Superset fashion..great Arm pump. I donīt know but i just like to work with the "Raw Basics" and this does not mean i am lazy but i like to concentrate on my Large muscle groups.  :) :D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 07:50:46 AM »
Of course, I could ask, how many of the people who do serious direct arm work (6-12 sets each on biceps/triceps) are making steady mass gains on a monthly bases? As opposed to those who do a minimum (3 sets max) at the end of a workout. Or nothing, like me.

Speaking of pure lasting muscle size increases, rather than a feel good  great pump. The pump being a giant ego booster, but in most cases a false positive. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 08:07:13 AM »
I still believe i got more gains in my Biceps with undergrip chins, cheating? no way..you get your chin up and above the Bar or you don`t. Everyone must find what works for him/her. I love compound lifts and train to get stronger. I have in the past used more volume but i was very influenced by "Braun" and i believe more is not always better. I warm up and hit 3 to 4 sets hard.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 04:02:42 PM »
close grip chins with your palms facing you and dips are excellent mass builders, having said that though, in order to maximize your arm development you have to do some isolation work like curls and extentions. No need to go crazy with the volume and the amount of exercises, pick one isolation movement for each and do 3-4 sets. Change excercises every 6-8 workouts. And really focus on form and feeling tension in the muscle you are targeting, if you are just slinging the weights around you are better off not including any isolation work at all, cause that's missing the point of the exercise entirely.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 06:11:27 PM »
Of course, I could ask, how many of the people who do serious direct arm work (6-12 sets each on biceps/triceps) are making steady mass gains on a monthly bases? As opposed to those who do a minimum (3 sets max) at the end of a workout. Or nothing, like me.

Speaking of pure lasting muscle size increases, rather than a feel good  great pump. The pump being a giant ego booster, but in most cases a false positive. Good Luck.
my arms grew about a half inch last year. theyve grown about a half inch in the past month or two. ill take a small amount of growth every workout and limit myself to a few sets shy of fialure with heavy weight before calling it quits.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 06:14:02 PM »
close grip chins with your palms facing you and dips are excellent mass builders, having said that though, in order to maximize your arm development you have to do some isolation work like curls and extentions. No need to go crazy with the volume and the amount of exercises, pick one isolation movement for each and do 3-4 sets. Change excercises every 6-8 workouts. And really focus on form and feeling tension in the muscle you are targeting, if you are just slinging the weights around you are better off not including any isolation work at all, cause that's missing the point of the exercise entirely.
X2

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 03:43:50 AM »
I hate training arms but always have and always will.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 10:56:53 AM »

well most do train because they tend to enjoy it.... you arms will stagnate after so many years obviusly, but so will your calves, quads, delts,lats etc etc etc.... might as well stop training all together ;)

i do agree that full on arm workout probly arent needed week in week out, but i will say that altho mine arent exactly busting the tape these days they do look more n more defined,vascular and knobbly every year

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 11:51:31 AM »
Train your arms as you would any other bodypart.....that is if you want them to grow.

lesaucer

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 06:24:17 AM »

x2! LOVE training arms. like mezo said, doing biceps/triceps same workout= the best. was doing chest/tricep, back/biceps before but ooo no now im never gonna do it like that again

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 02:02:38 AM »
I see guys doing biceps with chest...makes absolutely no sense to me...or tris and shoulders ::). Stupid splits in my opinion. Yea yea Dorian did it, so what? I dont give a shit.
Arms shouldnt be treated like secondary bodyparts...like calves or abs. They must have their own day.
Thats my opinion.
X2

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 07:24:09 AM »
Thats my opinion.

If I have time I do chest/bi's,back,tri's on monday and tuesday and then arms by themselves on fri.

....if no time{I play softball on fri and golf on sat and sunday is a rest day} then thats all I have time for.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 08:40:10 AM »
well most do train because they tend to enjoy it.... you arms will stagnate after so many years obviusly, but so will your calves, quads, delts,lats etc etc etc.... might as well stop training all together ;)

i do agree that full on arm workout probly arent needed week in week out, but i will say that altho mine arent exactly busting the tape these days they do look more n more defined,vascular and knobbly every year

if a muscle stops growing for an extended period your doing something wrong.