Author Topic: Bodybuilding can be very expensive  (Read 13208 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Re: Bodybuilding can be very expensive
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2011, 05:33:17 PM »
Who else would they ask us to listen to? Poets?  ;D

Plato.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2011, 05:34:19 PM »
So if they require surgery or other more expensive treatments, do they get it without ending up with a fat medical bill?

Pretty much, in this country they cannot deny medical treatment. oh they'll get a bill that the hospital knows they cannot pay.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2011, 05:37:04 PM »
Coach hates democracy and the government, is he an anarchist?

And you came to that conclusion how?

Wanting a smaller government that is involved with every aspect of our lives from what kind of light bulbs we can use, how much water we're allowed in our flush toilets and whether we can allow smoking in our own homes if there are children present is not the same as wanting NO government.

And Coach is the one always accused of black and white thinking.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2011, 05:38:14 PM »
Pretty much, in this country they cannot deny medical treatment. oh they'll get a bill that the hospital knows they cannot pay.

I got it before you did.  ;D

Don't worry, brah. I got your back. Though it can be tough some times.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2011, 05:38:20 PM »
Pretty much (hello?). In this country (US!?) they cannot deny medical treatment (Yes. they can. and they do, coach).oh they'll get a bill that the hospital knows they cannot pay (debatable)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2011, 05:39:03 PM »
Coach hates democracy and the government, is he an anarchist?

No, unlike you, I'm independent enough to NOT depend on the government for my needs, that's not what OUR government was ever intended for.

Xerxes

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2011, 05:39:55 PM »
His advice is valid/good but not applicable to all in the same fashion Finish high school? But 60% of your neighbourhood didn't, why should you? Sure its easy in white suburbia, where biggest problem you have is not being the popular kid..

Neither of your parents have any money or you might not even have parents, and food is scarce. What do you, work for minimum wage to barely eat? Hope that one day when you're 30 you might be able to move with your hard-earned and saved capital? Odds are you'll still be living in the same shithole and be robbed of your grocery shopping from a crackhead or some stickup kids as a regular occurence

Stay away from drugs? Easy to say, but if your life is full of shit, and the majority of your friends do drugs, some of them being drugdealers, add in peer pressure, then the situation suddenly doesn't look as rosy.

No children before getting married sounds like good advice, but getting a girl pregnant can happen to anyone, to use myself as an example, I used to be very lazy with using condoms, shit happens, in the ghetto some women use getting a kid as a way to get a provider for themselves.

In the end, no matter how you put it, how does the biggest economy in the world offer inferior healthcare to Cuba?

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2011, 05:43:03 PM »
No, unlike you, I'm independent enough to NOT depend on the government for my needs, that's not what OUR government was ever intended for.
How do you define 'independent,' Coach?  And how do you define 'government,' as you notably mention it twice.   

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2011, 05:45:44 PM »
His advice is valid/good but not applicable to all in the same fashion Finish high school? But 60% of your neighbourhood didn't, why should you? Sure its easy in white suburbia, where biggest problem you have is not being the popular kid..

Neither of your parents have any money or you might not even have parents, and food is scarce. What do you, work for minimum wage to barely eat? Hope that one day when you're 30 you might be able to move with your hard-earned and saved capital? Odds are you'll still be living in the same shithole and be robbed of your grocery shopping from a crackhead or some stickup kids as a regular occurence

Stay away from drugs? Easy to say, but if your life is full of shit, and the majority of your friends do drugs, some of them being drugdealers, add in peer pressure, then the situation suddenly doesn't look as rosy.

No children before getting married sounds like good advice, but getting a girl pregnant can happen to anyone, to use myself as an example, I used to be very lazy with using condoms, shit happens, in the ghetto some women use getting a kid as a way to get a provider for themselves.

In the end, no matter how you put it, how does the biggest economy in the world offer inferior healthcare to Cuba?

Not saying that doesn't happen but everyone has a choice, there some very successful people in business, that have pulled themselves out of the ghetto not wanting to live like that. If you were to ask almost anyone in a ghetto environment what life they would choose, 90% would choose to get out for a better life. They are not stuck or not as much as they think they are.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2011, 05:50:14 PM »

But you still think that insane amounts should be spend on national defense?

basil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2011, 05:51:21 PM »
I already give to the poor, I don't need someone to steal it from me

Coach, do you tithe to the Church?

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2011, 05:53:21 PM »
I had no insurance. I stopped at the nurse's station on my way out and paid them in cash.

I then walked to the helipad, boarded my helicopter, along with my super model wife and flew to my home in Beverly Hills.

Getbig. All the way Getbig.
a

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2011, 05:54:57 PM »
Not saying that doesn't happen but everyone has a choice, there some very successful people in business, that have pulled themselves out of the ghetto not wanting to live like that. If you were to ask almost anyone in a ghetto environment what life they would choose, 90% would choose to get out for a better life. They are not stuck or not as much as they think they are.
Lie.
Maybe.
Perhaps.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2011, 06:01:47 PM »
The economist, Walter Williams, said that in this country there are only five simple easy to achieve rules you have to follow to guarantee you a decent middle class life style. That doesn't mean you'll be rich but that you will not end up on the streets or living off someone else's labor.

Finish high school. Don't have children before you are married. Don't get addicted to drugs or alcohol. Don't get in trouble with the law. Get a job, any job, stick with it, and work hard. Even if you work at a fast food place, if you work hard you will eventually get promoted and move up and become at least a manager -- but usually more if you pursue an education. Maybe not the most glamorous life but you at least have the dignity knowing that you are pulling your own weight and providing for you and your family. My brother's best friend got a job at Walmart as a bag boy. Some 40 years later he's still there now a district manager making six figures. The guy siting next to me on the plane while coming back to Hawaii came to the US and barely speaking the language worked as a janitor for Jack-in-the Box. Still working for the same company he was now on his way from his home in Marin County to stay at his vacation home in Hawaii. Stories like this are endless here in America.

In this country there are always going to be a certain percentage that are poor. But those are not always the same people. People are changing their economic circumstance constantly. A student, such as Xerxes, may have a pitiful annual income that will place him in the lower economic ladder. But with his reasonable intelligence and biting wit this won't last long providing he has some ambition. When you start digging into why a person or a family are consistently destitute you will invariably find that they have broken one of those five years. Usually it has to do with alcohol and drugs.  

He forgot ''don't you ever get sick''.

My mother in law (63 yr/o)has cancer and my father in law (61 yr/o)has heart problems (heart open surgery 6 month ago) middle class family ,they worked their whole life ,they just sold their house to pay their medical bills (co  payment)now they are renting  a small apartment and they are broke as fuck.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2011, 06:02:11 PM »
D

Xerxes

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2011, 06:07:51 PM »
From my observation usually the rags to riches stories come from extremely driven people. Extremely driven people will succeed no matter their environment IMO.

Some of these "rags to riches" people seem to resent many of the people in their own original social class due to them being, in their eyes, inferior, weak, lazy or whatnot and many tell their story to differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack.

They've been lumped together with the "bad" for so long that they do whatever they can to not act/be one of "them", sometimes that includes telling your story in such a way to make people think getting out of the ghetto is "just something you should do" if you are from there. This of course does not taking into account all the other factors that come into play, and there are many.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2011, 06:08:33 PM »

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2011, 06:09:07 PM »
His advice is valid/good but not applicable to all in the same fashion Finish high school? But 60% of your neighbourhood didn't, why should you?

That's dumb, maybe cause you don't want to be a poor dirtbag like 60% of your neighborhood?

???

Xerxes

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2011, 06:14:43 PM »
That's dumb, maybe cause you don't want to be a poor dirtbag like 60% of your neighborhood?

???

Yeah its easy ain't it  :-\. Go to school and study hard even though you're the only kid in class paying attention, have no people to study with, all your friends giving you shit for it (peer pressure), having to persevere for YEARS, maybe DECADES and still never own your own home. Its all so easy.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2011, 06:16:06 PM »
Yeah its easy ain't it  :-\. Go to school and study hard even though you're the only kid in class paying attention, have no people to study with, all your friends giving you shit for it (peer pressure), having to persevere for YEARS, maybe DECADES and still never own your own home. Its all so easy.

It's not easy, but the alternative is being poor...  :-X

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2011, 06:29:48 PM »

Just to get this out of the way quickly -- Nobody goes to Cuba if they want the best health care. They come to the US. Forget the stats that come out of a government controlled Communist society.

As far as your arguments, this is where personal responsibility comes into play. 60% don't finish high school. So what? You're going to be part of the 40%. It doesn't take much effort to finish high school. Just some effort. Taking some responsibility for your life.

I had a miserable childhood. With a family of nine there was never any food in the house and I constantly had welts from the belt that was liberally used in my time when the government didn't arrest you for slapping your child let alone beating them, sometimes unconscious, like they do now. The thought of using drugs to help me cope was never even a thought. I got a punching bag and used it every night. Every damn night. And I grew up in a culture where pot is more common with the young folks than smoking cigs. Still is today.

When I moved to Cali while still a teen and I lived in a ghetto (Crip territory) and was the only white person (well, non Black) in my neighborhood. I had no preconceptions about inner city Blacks as I had zero experience with them growing up and just looked at them as I did Samoans, Tongans, and Hawaiians. My opinion on that has changed radically. I know crime first hand and saw a city burn as the cops fled. Still, I worked three jobs, 7 days a week, and put myself through college. Not a cent from my parents and all student loans paid.

And getting a girl pregnant does not happen to everyone. I was never "lazy" about using a condom and yes some women get pregnant knowing that someone else will be paying for it. That's one of the things republicans want to end. In Cali they had a bill that you get the first one free, all others is on your dime. When you subsidize a certain behavior you will get more of that behavior.

Nothing in life is a sure thing. You can always make excuses as to why you have to use drugs, can't graduate high school, or you get a girl pregnant. But at some point you have to take responsibility for your own actions. These five rules are not unrealistic, unachievable goals. You have to decide for yourself if you want to be a loser your whole life. And if you do, then sleep in the gutter and stay out of my way. When your choice is between starving to death or washing cars or loading trucks (both which I have done) then maybe you'll get your act together. There should be real consequences for your actions.

I sympathize with your beliefs. You're a good guy with a good heart and don't like to see people suffer. It's just not right. Chimps is the same way. I have a soft spot for people with good hearts. I was the same way until I got out on my own and realized life is not a bowl of cherries. There's very real consequences to your actions and the choices that you make. But as Winston Churchill once said, "If you are not a liberal when you are thirty, you have no heart. If you not a conservative when you are forty, you have no brain."

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2011, 06:32:27 PM »
But you still think that insane amounts should be spend on national defense?

We spend 20%. And all the world looks only to us whenever there is trouble in the world. If there was no US with our formidable military who is to keep Russia, China and North Korea at bay. Europe? LOL!

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2011, 06:36:47 PM »
We spend 20%. And all the world looks only to us whenever there is trouble in the world. If there was no US with our formidable military who is to keep Russia, China and North Korea at bay. Europe? LOL!

Yeah yeah yeah.  ::) ::) ::) That was SLIGHTLY off the point asshole.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2011, 06:40:20 PM »
He forgot ''don't you ever get sick''.

My mother in law (63 yr/o)has cancer and my father in law (61 yr/o)has heart problems (heart open surgery 6 month ago) middle class family ,they worked their whole life ,they just sold their house to pay their medical bills (co  payment)now they are renting  a small apartment and they are broke as fuck.

Those rule were intended as the minimum required so that you don't live on the streets or on the dole. There are ALWAYS exceptions. Shit does happen. There will always be people who are just fucked. I stressed that and always stress that. My sister worked for Aloha Airlines for 28 years before they went bust. She lost everything. Pension, 401K everything she worked for since she was 19 years old. But should Coach and others like him be forced literally at gun point to bail her out? There are no guarantees in life. Did your mother-in-law have health insurance?

Xerxes

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2011, 06:47:28 PM »
Just to get this out of the way quickly -- Nobody goes to Cuba if they want the best health care. They come to the US. Forget the stats that come out of a government controlled Communist society.

As far as your arguments, this is where personal responsibility comes into play. 60% don't finish high school. So what? You're going to be part of the 40%. It doesn't take much effort to finish high school. Just some effort. Taking some responsibility for your life.

I had a miserable childhood. With a family of nine there was never any food in the house and I constantly had welts from the belt that was liberally used in my time when the government didn't arrest you for slapping your child let alone beating them, sometimes unconscious, like they do now. The thought of using drugs to help me cope was never even a thought. I got a punching bag and used it every night. Every damn night. And I grew up in a culture where pot is more common with the young folks than smoking cigs. Still is today.

When I moved to Cali while still a teen and I lived in a ghetto (Crip territory) and was the only white person (well, non Black) in my neighborhood. I had no preconceptions about inner city Blacks as I had zero experience with them growing up and just looked at them as I did Samoans, Tongans, and Hawaiians. My opinion on that has changed radically. I know crime first hand and saw a city burn as the cops fled. Still, I worked three jobs, 7 days a week, and put myself through college. Not a cent from my parents and all student loans paid.

And getting a girl pregnant does not happen to everyone. I was never "lazy" about using a condom and yes some women get pregnant knowing that someone else will be paying for it. That's one of the things republicans want to end. In Cali they had a bill that you get the first one free, all others is on your dime. When you subsidize a certain behavior you will get more of that behavior.

Nothing in life is a sure thing. You can always make excuses as to why you have to use drugs, can't graduate high school, or you get a girl pregnant. But at some point you have to take responsibility for your own actions. These five rules are not unrealistic, unachievable goals. You have to decide for yourself if you want to be a loser your whole life. And if you do, then sleep in the gutter and stay out of my way. When your choice is between starving to death or washing cars or loading trucks (both which I have done) then maybe you'll get your act together. There should be real consequences for your actions.

I sympathize with your beliefs. You're a good guy with a good heart and don't like to see people suffer. It's just not right. Chimps is the same way. I have a soft spot for people with good hearts. I was the same way until I got out on my own and realized life is not a bowl of cherries. There's very real consequences to your actions and the choices that you make. But as Winston Churchill once said, "If you are not a liberal when you are thirty, you have no heart. If you not a conservative when you are forty, you have no brain."

Originally I agreed very much with the five pieces of advice he gave, but I felt it painted a somewhat rosy picture of reality and wanted to counter it to give the other side of the story a voice. I agree 100% about taking personal responsibility but I feel we as humans have not evolved enough for it to be reasonable to suggest all people will.

That said, cases like che's parents in his post above are truly awful. Cringeworthy stuff what I hear of your healthcare/insurance systems, but you and Coach suggest it isn't really that bad. It seems to me the really poor get off with getting bad credit, but the middle class, with some meager resources have to pay and many end up in bad situations.