Author Topic: Only for the experts. serious replies - new to the weights.  (Read 3135 times)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
Only for the experts. serious replies - new to the weights.
« on: April 06, 2011, 03:07:15 AM »
Ok, I want advices on how should I start my brother to train with weights.

Note that he has never seen the inside of a gym or picked weights but I can tell he has great genetics like me.

Im thinking of starting him with 3x a week fullbody workouts and go on from there. then 2nd week the same...3rd week im going to introduce him to "splits". something like that.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Only for the experts. serious replies - new to the weights.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 03:53:47 AM »
How old is he?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee

Meso_z

• Getbig V

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 08:49:22 AM »
Don't think you need expert advice on this manner, just a little common sense. The first choice (in my view) was correct from Meso_z, three times a week full body. And keep the full body thing going for a good 6 months. Keeping it short and simple compound exercises mostly. Squats, benches, rows, etc. With a max of 6 exercises at 3X8-12 reps. If he does have great genetics, than progress will certainly advance at a steady pace. You want your bro is adapt to working and to a point where he looks forward to the next workout. So three times a week may be a good start.

The common thread lately in BB'ing training seems to be slipping back to the basic style of training, as full body workouts, 2 to 3 times a week (BB'ing falls into phases, or even fads, that people seem to change to over time). If your bro decides to follow Splits after the breaking in period of 6 months, than alternate between a push/pull style of training on workout days.  There are dozens of splits, some rather stupid in my view only.

Of course I would have to ask the question, is it the bros idea to workout or was it yours for him to start lifting? He may have the genetics, but the interest and desire is another thing all together.  Plus the free time factor, which can be handled very well by short, to the point full body workouts three times a week. Good Luck.
F

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 08:02:34 PM »
Don't think you need expert advice on this manner, just a little common sense. The first choice (in my view) was correct from Meso_z, three times a week full body. And keep the full body thing going for a good 6 months. Keeping it short and simple compound exercises mostly. Squats, benches, rows, etc. With a max of 6 exercises at 3X8-12 reps. If he does have great genetics, than progress will certainly advance at a steady pace. You want your bro is adapt to working and to a point where he looks forward to the next workout. So three times a week may be a good start.

I dunno about 6 months but this is good advice, he should progress as he feels the need to as far as what kind of regimine he wants to follow.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

lesaucer

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 08:40:56 PM »
this is what i suggest: depending on his schedule..3 times a week, split up his bodyparts how you want.. rep range 13+ no less,always endurance first for a beginner. most important part; show him the exercises so he do them perfectly, and show him how to flex the muscle hes working

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 10:39:19 PM »
I don't know if your bro has any kind of lifting expirience, but this is what I would recommend for complete newbie. First 30-90 days( depending on progression), BW only movements. Pushup variations, pull up variations, dip variations, handstand pushups, pistol squats, once every other day workouts. Most people think this is useless, but by developing a good amount of relative strength it will make going into weights more effective. Next, I would stick with the 3 days a week full body split as JPM said. And I would ride that shit out until recovery is no longer possible from 3 full body workouts a week. In my opinion this is a huge window of opportunity that a lot of people miss out on, you can make tremendous gains due to a high training frequency. This does not last forever and depends on the individual, but eventually you will get stronger to the point where you will not be able to recover from workout to workout. Once you have tapped out the 3 full body workouts per week, drop down to hitting a bodypart twice per week on a upper/lower 4 day split. Same thing here, ride it out until you can no longer recover. After that drop to a upper/lower 3 day a week A B A, B A B split. Now once you have tapped out all of those options, then you can go into a more detailed bodypart training split. By this time a good amount of strength and muscle mass has been added. This may not be the most entertaining way to progress, but it is the shortest path to putting on the most muscle in the shortest period of time.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 10:46:46 PM »
lots of good advice here.

i strongly agree with full body workouts for at least 6 months. focus on power movements. make sure he masters the form on all the basic compounds.  have him stay away from failure. mixed rep ranges.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 12:44:22 AM »
thanks for the replies guys

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 08:42:13 AM »
only for "EXPERTS" ...lol after so maney posts? you are takeing the piss.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 02:59:06 AM »
I don't know if your bro has any kind of lifting expirience, but this is what I would recommend for complete newbie. First 30-90 days( depending on progression), BW only movements. Pushup variations, pull up variations, dip variations, handstand pushups, pistol squats, once every other day workouts. Most people think this is useless, but by developing a good amount of relative strength it will make going into weights more effective. Next, I would stick with the 3 days a week full body split as JPM said. And I would ride that shit out until recovery is no longer possible from 3 full body workouts a week. In my opinion this is a huge window of opportunity that a lot of people miss out on, you can make tremendous gains due to a high training frequency. This does not last forever and depends on the individual, but eventually you will get stronger to the point where you will not be able to recover from workout to workout. Once you have tapped out the 3 full body workouts per week, drop down to hitting a bodypart twice per week on a upper/lower 4 day split. Same thing here, ride it out until you can no longer recover. After that drop to a upper/lower 3 day a week A B A, B A B split. Now once you have tapped out all of those options, then you can go into a more detailed bodypart training split. By this time a good amount of strength and muscle mass has been added. This may not be the most entertaining way to progress, but it is the shortest path to putting on the most muscle in the shortest period of time.

i cant see somone not engrossed in training keeping somthing like that up....

most people start on the 3 day a week full body, and it works great.... yates won a brit title training that way too

once he see's big changes he'll be hooked, same thing happend with my younger brother, he was fat as fuck till i bullied him into training, and he thanks me for it regulary, as he's had years of slaying puss puss thanks to his new big ripped body.

the best thing with being brothers is your likely to have similar builds, so you can pass on how you feel the movement, how you change different techniques to suit your body etc

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 03:51:35 AM »
 :)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 08:07:43 AM »
Training really comes down to one thing; K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid). Training is not a complex thing, why people try to make it so is beyond my understanding. Seems the more bells and whistles added, the less satisfied results. People seem to confuse more with better, which most ofter is their first mistake in working out. Good Luck.
F

Fitness4Life

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 07:31:16 PM »
would you ever do full body workouts?  your bro shouldn't have to either.  give him a 3 day split, chest should tri, back and bi, legs.  BOOM.  Adjust according to progress.  Not rocket science

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 02:13:34 AM »
would you ever do full body workouts?  your bro shouldn't have to either.  give him a 3 day split, chest should tri, back and bi, legs.  BOOM.  Adjust according to progress.  Not rocket science
Fullbody workouts do have their place in training but i tend to agree with Fitness4Life that you can do a 3 day split right from day 1. If you are going to do a fullbody workout then do it 2 times aweek and not 3. And before you ask if i am an Expert....NO...i am a SEXPERT.. ;D

Metabolic

• Getbig IV
  • Team I Fucked Her Face
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 05:14:28 PM »
Have him do Reg Parks beginner routine

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 07:32:10 PM »
New here.  Not claiming expert.  Much respect to you guys on here.  Been a personal trainer since 01.  Started own pt studio/small private gym in 05.  Work with almost all beginners. I believe that all these guys have given great advice.  I do believe however, that your brother would benefit from the basic split laid out in the last post.  What I would do in the beginning is to choose one compound exercise to start each workout with. Most likely bench press or squats or bent rows.  I would go into the workout with my #1 priority being to teach and explain the details of the exercise and the body parts involved.  Then you can take the workout in the direction you think would most benefit him.  Usually, there is so much to explain about either of these three exercises to complete beginners. That it takes about 30 minutes or more of trial and error, doing, explaining, and teaching to really give someone even a beginners understanding of them.    I have found most beginners really appreciate having the exercises taught to them in detail.  I can see and feel the motivation build within them.  Usually if we are shooting for an hour or so workout, we have just enough time to explain and perform some exercises that hit the supporting muscle groups in just as much detail.  I would do the same split for the first month.  I would change the way you're doing the compound exercise each week, so you can explain the variations and how they effect the muscle differently.  And depending on your brothers response you will be swapping out or adding different exercise for the supporting muscle groups over the course of the month.   And also through the course of the month you can show him things like: supersets, giant sets, drop sets, forced reps, etc... And the difference between the types of resistance.  This type of approach has always worked for me with beginners.  They are always so sore after their workouts the first week that anymore than this might be too much.  

My brother (16yo) started going to the gym with me and this is exactly what I had in mind.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 07:42:26 PM »
Ok, I want advices on how should I start my brother to train with weights.
Note that he has never seen the inside of a gym or picked weights but I can tell he has great genetics like me.
Im thinking of starting him with 3x a week fullbody workouts and go on from there. then 2nd week the same...3rd week im going to introduce him to "splits". something like that.

It it his or your idea? Why not advise him a simple allbody workout 2 - 3 times a week and let him find out for himself if its for him or not. At 24  years he should be able to make his own judgements beyond the elementary introduction
c

Domthemilky

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 03:44:44 AM »
Starting strength would be a good programme or even 5/3/1 but 5/3/1 is pretty hard on the body if you go for more reps on the last set. Need to train that nervous system first before concerntrating on hypertrophy training. Also teaches him the correct form with all the exercises, hard to not squat properly when you do it 3x a week.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 09:23:34 AM »
K.I.S.S.

Just my view, but way too much information & input for a pretty simple  process of basic workouts. Try not making it brain surgery, it's pretty simple stuff.

Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 10:27:09 AM »
K.I.S.S.

Just my view, but way too much information & input for a pretty simple  process of basic workouts. Try not making it brain surgery, it's pretty simple stuff.

Good Luck.
It is not hard...basic moves and recovery. I agree with jpm on this.