Author Topic: Anybody here actually train for strongman?  (Read 21942 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Anybody here actually train for strongman?
« on: April 08, 2011, 06:22:57 PM »
Like the title says.........anybody?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
Re: Anybody here actually train for strongman?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 07:09:50 PM »
Use to, sir. Hardcore, in fact ! Did a couple of local contests here in Michigan and had a training partner that ended up doing nationals out in Nevada. Only reason I stopped training strongman is because my training partner sold all of his equipment ( he owned the stones, tires, etc. ) ... which left me screwed. I'm still pissed about it, actually. Oh, well. I will say this though ... LOVED doin' strongman training. Absolutely LOVED it. 

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 07:46:24 PM »
Use to, sir. Hardcore, in fact ! Did a couple of local contests here in Michigan and had a training partner that ended up doing nationals out in Nevada. Only reason I stopped training strongman is because my training partner sold all of his equipment ( he owned the stones, tires, etc. ) ... which left me screwed. I'm still pissed about it, actually. Oh, well. I will say this though ... LOVED doin' strongman training. Absolutely LOVED it. 
How do you stop the side to side wobble while walking the yoke? I've only used it twice now but 700lbs wobbling from side to side sucks. Is it just experience in walking with the thing?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 08:27:12 PM »
How do you stop the side to side wobble while walking the yoke? I've only used it twice now but 700lbs wobbling from side to side sucks. Is it just experience in walking with the thing?
you got the dimensions for it?...i am thinking of building one...

bench

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 08:45:29 PM »
you got the dimensions for it?...i am thinking of building one...

bench
I cut up a piece of equipment the gym had laying around to make it...... :P

Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 08:48:31 PM »
Sleds I made......
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 08:49:15 PM »
Logs I made........
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 08:57:06 PM »
Logs I made........
these logs look epic as hell!!

bench

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 09:02:37 PM »
these logs look epic as hell!!

bench
3/8" wall black pipe....1 1/4" handles......made to last in America, by an American! 8)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 09:06:07 PM »
3/8" wall black pipe....1 1/4" handles......made to last in America, by an American! 8)

bwahahaha bro, you powder coated your strongman equipment.....but rattle canned your bike!!!!.....i like it 8)

bench

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 09:19:31 PM »
bwahahaha bro, you powder coated your strongman equipment.....but rattle canned your bike!!!!.....i like it 8)

bench
;D

I have had(?) every intention of painting my bike......someday.. ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 09:23:39 PM »
;D

I have had(?) every intention of painting my bike......someday.. ;D
what do you even have to paint?...a tank, and rear fender?  ;D

bench

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 09:29:01 PM »
what do you even have to paint?...a tank, and rear fender?  ;D

bench
Yeah......I swore I was going to do it this winter.....but we don't really have a winter out here..LOL
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 09:35:21 PM »
Yeah......I swore I was going to do it this winter.....but we don't really have a winter out here..LOL
yall have more of a winter than i do though ;D

just drop it off next time you gt your stuff powder coated...i keep saying i am going to powdercoat a lot of suspension parts on my supra...been 3 years and all i have done is "talked" about it ;D

bench

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 07:49:42 AM »
yall have more of a winter than i do though ;D

just drop it off next time you gt your stuff powder coated...i keep saying i am going to powdercoat a lot of suspension parts on my supra...been 3 years and all i have done is "talked" about it ;D

bench
youve got a supra? you bastard...was my dream car when I was younger

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 07:53:46 AM »
very cool stuff chaos

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 10:20:36 AM »
youve got a supra? you bastard...was my dream car when I was younger
i have had 3, or 4 of them...this one was a salvage title i built ground up....no A/C, no radio...just race, still passed the houston smog test...that being said i havent even turned the key on it in a month....so i will be playing with it today....this one has never been on a dyno...i tuned it by data logger, and exhaust gas temp...

bench

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 01:21:55 PM »

In my experience, Chaos, the wobbling of the yoke comes from hand position and sometimes stance. To better explain, when you are gripping the yoke apparatus like you would a squat bar when squatting, the yoke will tend to wobble a lot when walking with it ! So rather than gripping the yoke like I described above, try placing your hands and arms out to the sides in order to stabilize the yoke while walking with it. Helped me out a ton !! Was able to move a lot of weight that way.

So, to sum it up, try gripping the sides of the yoke, and not the top bar that rests of your neck and back. If you still notice the wobbling, try widening your stance a bit. Not too much though or you won't be able to move quick with it ( since speed is a HUGE factor in strongman ). Other than those two things I just told you, I really don't know what else would cause the wobbling. Hope I helped.

Btw, VERY nice equipment. Never seen homemade equip. look that good before. NICE job !!!

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 04:49:59 PM »

In my experience, Chaos, the wobbling of the yoke comes from hand position and sometimes stance. To better explain, when you are gripping the yoke apparatus like you would a squat bar when squatting, the yoke will tend to wobble a lot when walking with it ! So rather than gripping the yoke like I described above, try placing your hands and arms out to the sides in order to stabilize the yoke while walking with it. Helped me out a ton !! Was able to move a lot of weight that way.

So, to sum it up, try gripping the sides of the yoke, and not the top bar that rests of your neck and back. If you still notice the wobbling, try widening your stance a bit. Not too much though or you won't be able to move quick with it ( since speed is a HUGE factor in strongman ). Other than those two things I just told you, I really don't know what else would cause the wobbling. Hope I helped.

Btw, VERY nice equipment. Never seen homemade equip. look that good before. NICE job !!!
I thought this same thing about the hand position.......I squat with my hands out collar to collar, but when I get under the yoke I bring my hands in close like most people squat.....I'll try the hands out position and see if it helps. 

Thanks, I don't like to build shitty stuff and I have all kinds of contacts for metal and powdercoating so why make shitty looking equipment?  Also, if it looks "hardcore" and rusty, etc, the gym won't let me bring it in since they hold classes using the equipment. We're pouring our first stone today.....240# :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 09:57:03 PM »
i have had 3, or 4 of them...this one was a salvage title i built ground up....no A/C, no radio...just race, still passed the houston smog test...that being said i havent even turned the key on it in a month....so i will be playing with it today....this one has never been on a dyno...i tuned it by data logger, and exhaust gas temp...

bench
what you got running on it? twin turbo, single? charger?

I always loved the design and the sport roof is fucking awesome!!!

Id love to find one and build it up same as an old k1500 blazer or whatever with the removale top...shit i would love that thing

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 03:57:09 PM »
what you got running on it? twin turbo, single? charger?

I always loved the design and the sport roof is fucking awesome!!!

Id love to find one and build it up same as an old k1500 blazer or whatever with the removale top...shit i would love that thing
single...its a little on the big size for the build...but it still works...it would be faster with a smaller turbo..

bench

w8m8

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 11:09:05 AM »
very cool stuff chaos

THIS x 2 !!

Good work that stuff looks great !!

I couldn't find a live link .. but found this in regards to stabilizing the yoke when you're walking may be helpful may not be  :-\

Preparing for the Super Yoke
Joshua Davis

"There isn't much to the yoke, it would appear that you get under the bar, partially squat the weight up, then you walk with it... that sounds simple enough..."

Have fun with that line of thinking... we're not laughing at you, we are laughing near you. This article is addressed towards the novice looking to prepare for the yoke, or to improve upon his/her walk with the Super Yoke.

what is a super yoke?

To start with, just about every yoke is different. Some yokes are chain-suspended barrels of heavy objects balanced from a metal pipe. Some yokes are fabricated works of beauty, built specifically for this grueling event in mind. Some have had a crossbrace installed on the skids to reduce "wobble" - although most yokes do not have this feature. Some are rickety pain-inducing torture devices - in fact, this applies to most of them. If you don't like pain, I would question your reasons for strongman training, as it isn't gonna improve your golf or tennis swing.

getting the stance

The yokes bar will probably be adjustable, and you want to start with the bar at a height around your lower pectorals (with your arms at your side, just below the top of the bicep)... of course bodies and leverages vary... so experiment. Remember, when you load that puppy down with 700lbs-plus, it will make you a few inches shorter during the walk.

I don't care how you squat, you will not be able to walk out with the yoke with a wide stance. Get into a "leg press" stance, with the bar higher on your traps than it would be for a standard powerlifting squat. If the bar is too low, the weight will force it to slide down your back, and that is bad. Grab the bar like you would in a squat (more on this later), look up and follow upwards with your chest as you lock it out, and move!

walking the yoke

The first few steps are crucial. You need to make sure that you can establish a rhythm with it before you take off. You also need to make sure your balance is in the right place... if you get cocky and step too far with one leg, or bend the knee too much, you may bottom out the yoke and have to pick it back up again. Get as comfortable as you can with 500-plus pounds on your back - and then take off!

As you increase speed, you will notice that the yoke dosen't just sway at the bottom - soon you will start to feel some stress in your mid back. At this point, you must focus on posture and keeping your back and abs as tight as possible... otherwise you won't complete your run. If the yoke swings enough to jerk your body, slow down your next step or two and stay tight... let the yoke stabilize and then continue along.

the finish line

When it starts to get hard, you really don't have a choice but to push though it. Personally, I feel like I am going through a gauntlet, but that gauntlet only ends when I cross the finish line. I don't look down, don't look up, I just stare at that finish line and charge as best I can. I have subconsciously taught myself "this pain will be over as soon as I cross that line."

other quick tips

About the grip of the bar - if you feel that the stress isn't signifigant in your middle back, or you know for sure that you have a strong upper and middle back - you may want to try stabilizing the sides of the yoke with your hands during the walk. Gripping the bar is effective for some people just starting out with the yoke, because the position of the arms tightens the erector chain (the muscles that move along your spine), and prevents you from rounding your back.

Work on getting your body to constantly stabilize the weight, throughout the walk, so you don't have to slow down to a crawl everytime the yoke shakes in a way that is disagreeable.

The most important tip I can tell people (especially tall people or thin people) is to really focus on keeping your hips inline. You cannot walk with a normal gait, you must keep your hips as "square" as possible... if your hips are moving side-to-side in any way, you will not be supporting the yoke with your whole body, but with only one leg at a time.

Last, but certianly not least in these tips, I get asked alot for what you can do in the gym to simulate this grueling event. Squat walkouts will not help you here, it may make sense in your head, but keep in mind the weight is in a different place. You can only simulate the yoke with a yoke... that being said, anything that strengthens your hips, glutes, entire back, and even your neck and abs will help you once you are under the bar. When I was preparing for my first competition, which featured a 600lb yoke, I did 700+lb 4" and 8" lockouts in my squat rack until I saw stars. I would suggest heavy partial lockouts (like 4" ROM with 150-200% of your max squat), stiff legged deadlifts, headstrap work, situps, and leg lifts. All these movements will build your back from butt to neck, and strong hips are a must. Don't neglect your regular gym work either - if your back is strong enough for the yoke, but you can't do a 4-6" partial with the implement, what good is it?

Hope this brief article helps out a few people with their yoke walk, or their preparation for it. Have fun, stay safe, train hard!

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-5335.html

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 07:06:56 PM »
Thatnks w8.....I figured most of it out by watching a crapload of youtube videos.....even the pros wobble and set it down. :P

The 240lb stone........should be cured and ready in about a week.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 06:01:25 AM »

bench

This!

w8m8

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 06:17:46 AM »
Thatnks w8.....I figured most of it out by watching a crapload of youtube videos.....even the pros wobble and set it down. :P

The 240lb stone........should be cured and ready in about a week.

as long as the wobble doesn't throw off your pace it's all good if you don't get tweaked anyplace from it

that's a great casting on the stone ... are you planning to use any elevated pedestals ? differing heights ?

I love strongman stuff .. this is a cool thread .. you've made excellent implements  :)