Author Topic: Grand National (Horses)  (Read 1572 times)

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
Grand National (Horses)
« on: April 09, 2011, 07:21:13 AM »
The English Grand National is one of the world's most prestigious horse races.

Each year 40 horses line-up to tackle the awesome Aintree course. Four & half miles, with 30 fence jumps, the Grand National is arguably the toughest test of horse and jockey in the world.

4:15pm BST today on BBC 1

(i'm fancying v-neck or polo neck, they're great jumpers) joke ok? xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
Re: Grand National (Horses)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 07:24:55 AM »
Grand National tips are Backstage (12/1), Big Fella Thanks (16/1), Hello Bud (25/1), State of Play (25/1) and West End Rocker (33/1).

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 07:40:06 AM »
Google Ladbrokes or Coral or William Hill or Paddy Power if you'd like to see a proper line-up

Aintree Grand National 2011 Grand National Race Card Grand National Odds Grand National Tips Grand National Free Bets Grand National Runners
Grand National Racecard

The Midnight Club    Form: 133-21   (W P Mullins / R Walsh)
Trained by Willie Mullins and ridden by Ruby Walsh, the same team who won with Hedgehunter in 2005. Winner of Bobbyjo Chase in last run and looks well handicapped. A Leading contender
9/1

Don't Push It    Form: 1-P070   (Jonjo O'Neill / A P McCoy)
Last year's winner will again be partnered by Champion jockey A P McCoy but this time carries top weight and race trends very much against him winning for the second consecutive year
10/1

Silver By Nature    Form: 21-071   (Miss L Russell / P Buchanon)
Winner of Grand National Trial at Haydock in February and 2nd in the 2009 Welsh National. Might need a bit of cut in the ground but this grey stays all day and has each-way claims
11/1

Ballabriggs    Form: 11-112   (D McCain / J Maguire)
Trained by the legendary McCain family who have won this race on four occassions. Lost last time out to end a 5 race unbeaten run, but definite claims here for owner who won in 2005
14/1

Oscar Time    Form: 52-263   (M Lynch / S Waley-Cohen)
Bought by the Waley-Cohen's specifically with this race in mind. 2nd in 2010 Irish Grand National and could provide a memorable Grand National/Gold Cup double for connections
14/1

What A Friend    Form: 11-524   (P Nicholls / D Jacob)
Owned by Sir Alex Ferguson and Paul Nicholls' best chance of first National win. 4th in Gold Cup and 15lbs well in on official ratings. Dual Grade 1 winner last season, could go close
14/1

Backstage    Form: -57011   (G Elliott / P Carberry)
Unseated rider in race twelve months ago but has won two hunter chases in Ireland on recent starts and subject to ante-post gamble. Trainer Gordon Elliott won the race with Silver Birch in 2007
16/1

Big Fella Thanks    Form: 4-2F44   (F Murphy / G Lee)
6th in 2009 and 4th in 2010. Change of stables last summer and lightly campaigned this season, he could go that bit extra in 2011 and take the prize for Ferdy Murphy
16/1

Quinz    Form: 0-1131   (P Hobbs / R Johnson)
Winner of the Racing Post Chase in February, but there hasn't been a winner of the Grand National under the age of eight for 70 years, which doesn't bode well for trend backers
16/1

Arbor Supreme    Form: 2U-9P2   (W P Mullins / D J Casey)
Travelling well in race last year before unseating rider. Finished one length behind The Midnight Club in last prep race but double the price here. Has each-way claims if he gets round safe
20/1

Becauseicouldntsee    Form: 212-42   (N Glynn / D N Russell)
Runner from Ireland owned and trained by Noel Glynn. Lightly raced this term and injured following 2nd behind Majestic Concorde in Grade B handicap at Leopardstown over Christmas
25/1

Bluesea Cracker    Form: 21-046   (J Motherway / A J McNamara)
Surprise winner of the 2010 Irish Grand National and favourite for this season's Welsh National before injury ruled her out. Some ante-post support , newly acquired by J P Mcmanus
25/1

Character Building    Form: -30563   (J J Quinn / Miss N Carberry)
Flambuoyant jumper who finished 7th in last year's National. Winner of the 2009 Kim Muir at Cheltenham but poor form this season. Trainer bullish about his chances however
25/1

Niche Market    Form: 9P-F58   (P Nicholls / H Skelton)
Paul Nicholls second runner in the race. Won the 2009 Grand national but pulled up in first attempt at this race last year. 5th in Hennessy Gold Cup this season but a poor effort last time out
25/1

Calgary Bay    Form: -56242   (Miss H Knight / H Frost)
No win for two years and trainer Henrietta Knight wonders whether he'll get the trip. Finished sixth in the 2010 Gold Cup but this looks a big ask in his first Grand National
33/1

Hello Bud    Form: 75P-1P   (N Twiston-Davies / S Twiston-Davies)
Veteran who has finished fifth in this race the last two years. Won the 2009 Scottish Grand National and also won over the Aintree fences in last November's Becher Chase
33/1

Majestic Concorde    Form: 2/1-31   (D K Weld / R P McNamara)
Winner of the Grade B Paddy Power Chase at Leopardstown over Christmas who also ran in last season's Cesarewitch on the flat. An interesting runner for Dermot Weld
33/1

Skippers Brig    Form: 13-011   (N Richards / D Elsworth)
Beat Ballabriggs last time out yet four times the price. Good form mixed in with bad but gets into the race off bottom weight and could go well at a big price
33/1

State Of Play    Form: 44/P3-   (E Williams / P Moloney)
Placed in the Grand National for the last two years, getting on in years now and not been seen on a racecourse since his 3rd place at Aintree 12 months ago. Sure to get a run for your money
33/1

West End Rocker    Form: 07-11P   (A King / R Thornton)
Alan King trained nine year old who had won on both starts this season before pulling up in the Grand National Trial at Haydock in February. Has won on all sorts of going
33/1

Chief Dan George    Form: 1-753F   (J Moffatt / P Aspell)
Winner of the 2010 William Hill Trophy at Cheltenham but a faller in that race this year. Not shown the same level of form this season. Would be a fairytale winner for trainer returning from illness
40/1

Comply Or Die    Form: 00-06P   (D Pipe / T Murphy)
Winner of this race in 2008 and has plotted his way around the course successfully on both occassions since. Back off a manageable mark this year although not getting any younger
40/1

Tidal Bay    Form: 4-3226   (J H Johnson / B Hughes)
sixth in the Gold Cup but has never won over two miles chasing. Won an Arkle and in his best form over the longer trips this season, but carries plenty of weight and this looks a very tough ask
40/1

Or Noir De Somoza    Form: -42F14   (D Pipe / T Scudamore)
French import who has pocketed just under £1 million on the other side of the English Channel. Connections bullish about chances but never won over two and a half miles and carries plenty of weight
50/1

Vic Venturi    Form: U-7744   (D Hughes / A E Lynch)
A winner of the 2009 Becher Chase over these fences but unseated rider on first National attempt twelve months ago and should prefer the going if on the soft side
50/1

Dooneys Gate    Form: F24-41   (W P Mullins / P W Mullins)
The least fancied of the four Willie Mullins trained horses in the race. Winner last time out though beating Northern Alliance 13 lengths and 4th in Topham Chase here 12 months ago
66/1

Grand Slam Hero    Form: 1FP18P   (N Twiston-Davies / A Coleman)
Modest form this form and pulled up in handicap chase last time out at Ffos Las and a faller in last Summer's Galway Plate
66/1

Killyglen    Form: P-2536   (S R B Crawford / R M Power)
Won the Mildmay Novices' Chase at Aintree two years ago but form seems to have deserted him, finishing a well beaten sixth in the Grimthorpe Chase last time out
66/1

King Fontaine    Form: 1-11P5   (M Jefferson / D O'Regan)
Pulled up in the Grand National Trial at Haydock in February but bounced back with decent fifth place finish in the Stewart Family Spinal Research handicap Chaset at Cheltenham last time out
66/1

Ornais    Form: 51P/52   (P Nicholls / N Schofield)
Paul Nicholls' fourth string but well in at the handicap if returning to the novice form before long injury lay-off. Been hunter chasing this season
66/1

Golden Kite    Form: 1d10019   (A Maguire / S J Hassett)
Winner of the Munster National last Autumn and comes into this race off bottom weight. A sound jumper whose trainer has ridden in many Nationals, could go well at a big price
80/1

The Tother One    Form: 05-244   (P Nicholls / R Mahon)
Not won over the big fences since his novice days, but finished fourth in this season's Hennessy Gold Cup behind stablemate Denman. Plenty with better claims here though  -  £25 Free Bet
80/1

Can't Buy Time    Form: F-8P5P   (Jonjo O'Neill / R McLernon)
Looking to get around the course for the first time in third attempt this year. Modest form this season and easy to avoid in the betting with other horses having better claims  -  £50 Free Bet
100/1

In Compliance    Form: 3431U   (D T Hughes / L Aspell)
Third in a Guinness Gold Cup and sixth place in the Topham Chase over the National fences at Aintree twelve months ago. Unseated rider last time out  -  Bet Now
100/1

Royal Rosa    Form: 5U-42P   (H Johnson / P Gallagher)
Unseated rider twelve months ago on first attempt in the Grand National. Has form at Aintree though finishing 2nd in the Becher Chase last Autumn. Needs one to come out to guarantee run
100/1

That's Rhythm    Form: 391059   (M Todhunter / J Reveley)
French breds have woeful record in the race and nothing to suggest Martin Todhunter's eleven year old will buck that trend in 2011. Fell in last year's Scottish Grand National  -  £20 Free Bet
100/1

Piraya    Form: 234PP   (D Pipe / J Farrelly)
Second attempt in the race for David Pipe's eight year old who plugged on for 13th in race last year. Pulled up in last two efforts this season and a big outsider here  -  £25 Free Bet
150/1

Quolibet    Form: FF25P   (Jonjo O'Neill / P Walsh)
Another French import who was pulled up in the Cross Country Chase at Cheltenham last month. No win over two and a half miles and would be a big upset were he to win here  -  £50 Free Bet
150/1

Surface To Air    Form: 2111/0   (C Bealby / T Messenger)
Lightly raced ten year old from small yard. Has won three of his four chase starts and had one warm up on reappearance after long injury lay-off last month. Durham National winner will stay all day  - 
150/1

Santa's Son    Form: 207710   (H Johnson / J Moore)
Howard Johnson's third string who finished 16th in the Grand Annual at Cheltenham last time out. No win over two mile six furlongs and big outsider here

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 07:47:38 AM »
I've got £5 each way on Character Building at 25/1.

My uncle who lives up north in Liverpool and I have a system and win more often than not.  
we always bet on horses with l-i-n-d-a in their names.

Anything can happen in the Grand National, it's often carnage, I'm surprised they still allow it.  If it's on tv where you are, it's worth watching...

madly
xL

our whole country goes out to pick a horse and bets a quid each way today, more people bet on the Grand National than vote, it's a massive event.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 09:17:36 AM »
Ballabrigs won

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 09:24:04 AM »
from yesterday's Sun newspaper: (I also read this to my Unc this morning, so I hope he put a tenner on it:

"Balla is luckiest"
All the omens point to the 14/1 shot Ballabriggs claiming victory in the National, it was claimed last night.  Bookies Ladbrokes found seven quirky facts which the last ten winners had in common - and only Ballbriggs meets all seven.  The lucky factors include having an Irish jockey, an 11-letter name and being nine or ten years old.  Ladbrokes named Ballabriggs as their selection.

I've watched the replay and still don't even know whether my horse finished.  They had cameras from above, they even had cameras in the ditches under the fences.  Wonderful photography coverage.  Incredible.
xL

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 04:00:46 PM »
I think I'll drink Guinness tonight.
Y

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 02:26:38 PM »
It was, as I said, total complete and utter carnage.  Two horses dead and a jockey in a coma.

Can't wait till the tennis is on.
xL