Author Topic: Boehner's dealing REVIVES DC Opportunity Scholarships  (Read 2082 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Boehner's dealing REVIVES DC Opportunity Scholarships
« on: April 10, 2011, 11:28:53 AM »
This isn't getting a whole lot of air play. But, for a evil, racist Republican who doesn't like kids or women, reinstating this program to get low-income (i.e. black) children out of crappy public schools (the same program that Obama and his teacher-union-loving cronies DROPPED) is pretty good.

Congrats to Speaker Boehner. Keep it up!!!

The D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program — which provides low-income District students with federal money to attend private schools — is a top priority of Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio). The program was closed to new entrants by Democrats in 2009, but Boehner has sought to revive and expand the program. The House passed a Boehner-authored bill last month -- the SOAR Act -- to reauthorize the program for five more years, and that bill will be included in the final spending deal and signed into law by Obama.

The scholarship program is opposed by Norton and Mayor Vincent Gray, but backed by City Council Chairman Kwame Brown and former mayors Anthony Williams and Marion Barry.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-wire/post/sources-budget-deal-includes-dc-abortion-rider-money-for-school-vouchers/2011/04/08/AF3ET24C_blog.html

Here's more!!

The White House announced Tuesday that President Obama was “strongly opposed” to a bill reviving and expanding the DC Opportunity Scholarship Program, one day before the measure championed by House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) is scheduled for a vote on the House floor. But the White House did not threaten to veto the bill, suggesting that it could still pass as part of a larger compromise on education policy.

Boehner’s bill, known as the SOAR Act, would permit new entrants to a program that gives low-income District students money for private school tuition. Boehner helped create the program in 2004, but it was ended by Democrats in 2009, with only existing scholarship recipients allowed to continue. The bill would authorize $60 million a year for the next five years, with the funds evenly divided between the scholarship program, D.C. charter schools and traditional D.C. public schools.

In an official statement of administration policy released Tuesday, the White House Office of Management and Budget said: “While the Administration appreciates that H.R. 471 would provide Federal support for improving public schools in the District of Columbia (D.C.), including expanding and improving high-quality D.C. public charter schools, the Administration opposes the creation or expansion of private school voucher programs that are authorized by this bill.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-wire/post/obama-opposes-boehners-dc-school-choice-bill-but-does-not-threaten-veto/2011/03/29/AFjOO0wB_blog.html

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Boehner's dealing REVIVES DC Opportunity Scholarships
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 11:43:08 AM »
The mayor of Washington DC doesn't seem impressed
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/04/09/dc-budget-deal-revives-school-voucher-program-reinstates-ban-abortion-funding/

For D.C., Budget Deal Revives School Voucher Program, Reinstates Ban on Abortion Funding

The eleventh-hour budget deal to fund the federal government for the next five months includes two controversial policy riders that have infuriated Washington D.C. local leaders.

One bans Washington from spending its own money to provide abortions for low-income women and the other includes money to revive the city's school voucher program, which subsidizes private school tuition for needy students with federal funds.

In a Saturday morning tweet, Mayor Vincent Gray called both riders a "shameful violation of our right to govern ourselves."

"This is ludicrous," Gray said in statement."While one rider purports to provide educational aid to children in need, the other takes away desperately needed aid from poor women. Hypocrisy is alive and well in the United States Congress."Gray called on all D.C. residents to voice their opposition to the "colonial status of the District of Columbia."

The GOP-led House voted to reinstate the program last month and passed a stopgap measure this week that included the abortion rider. But those bills had little chance to go any further with the Obama administration opposed to vouchers and the abortion rider.

However, the Republicans were able to get those initiatives included in Friday night's deal that cut spending by $38.5 billion.

Congress eliminated the voucher program in 2009. Critics of vouchers, including teachers unions, say it draws money away from public schools.

Under the program, which began in 2004, more than 3,700 students, mostly black or Hispanic, have won scholarships which provide up to $7,500 in private-school tuition.

In 2009, the Obama administration lifted the ban on D.C. funding abortions. But earlier this year, House Republicans proposed reinstating the ban in a larger bill that would effectively make permanent a string of separate restrictions, including the so-called Hyde Amendment, which have to be renewed periodically by Congress.

Planned Parenthood, which avoided losing its federal funding when Democrats refused to include that proposal in the budget deal, said it was "deeply disappointed" with the D.C. abortion funding rider.

"It's clear that the fight for women's health will continue, and we will continue to work on behalf of the millions of American women who count on this critical care," the group's president, Cecile Richards, said in a statement.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 12:24:50 PM »
Oh brother.  ::)

Giving poor, intelligent black kids a chance to go to a good college is hypocritical because the government is no longer going to pay for their crack addict mothers to kill them before they are born.

Straw, you and the Mayor of DC should colonize Antarctica and take all the queers, drug addicted welfare recipients and Islamic fanatics with you. After the Islamic fanatics kill the drug addicts and homo's by feeding them to polar bears, you could explain to the nice bearded men why you hate America and how your not Islamophobic while they saw your head off with a butter knife.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 02:31:46 PM »
Oh brother.  ::)

Giving poor, intelligent black kids a chance to go to a good college is hypocritical because the government is no longer going to pay for their crack addict mothers to kill them before they are born.

Straw, you and the Mayor of DC should colonize Antarctica and take all the queers, drug addicted welfare recipients and Islamic fanatics with you. After the Islamic fanatics kill the drug addicts and homo's by feeding them to polar bears, you could explain to the nice bearded men why you hate America and how your not Islamophobic while they saw your head off with a butter knife.

oh brother

when did I say I had a problem personally had a problem with the voucer program

My entire statement on the matter was "the mayor of Washington DC doesn't seem to be impressed"

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 03:52:56 PM »
oh brother

when did I say I had a problem personally had a problem with the voucer program

My entire statement on the matter was "the mayor of Washington DC doesn't seem to be impressed"

That's because the mayor of Washington DC hates educating minorities and loves abortions. 
Y

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 04:00:03 PM »
LOL at the mayor of DC saying that funding abortions for low income women is "desperately needed aid" LMFAO

how about birth control?

sounds like he is locking the barn after the cow is already out

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 04:35:59 PM »
LOL at the mayor of DC saying that funding abortions for low income women is "desperately needed aid" LMFAO

how about birth control?

sounds like he is locking the barn after the cow is already out

It's okay to be prejudiced when you're demanding taxpayer money be used for something "those people" don't want to pay for. lol

Low income women: Nothing but dumb whores who are too fucking stupid to tell Mr. dickoftheday to pull out, too poor to buy protection, and too "low income" to know that "put your dick somewhere else" is an acceptable alternative to "Sure, you can cum inside me.  Feel free to just lay there inside me until you go soft, boo."

White guilt taxpayers: Too full of self-hatred to see the absurdity in arguing against being prejudiced by demanding that poor black women are too lazy, stupid, and broke to get an abortion on their own.
Y

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 04:39:32 PM »
It's okay to be prejudiced when you're demanding taxpayer money be used for something "those people" don't want to pay for. lol

Low income women: Nothing but dumb whores who are too fucking stupid to tell Mr. dickoftheday to pull out, too poor to buy protection, and too "low income" to know that "put your dick somewhere else" is an acceptable alternative to "Sure, you can cum inside me.  Feel free to just lay there inside me until you go soft, boo."

White guilt taxpayers:  Too full of self-hatred to see the absurdity in arguing against being prejudiced by demanding that poor black women are too lazy, stupid, and broke to get an abortion on their own.
funny part is that the same place these morons go for abortions, they can go to get FREE contraceptives...

some ppl just dont fuking think

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 05:23:50 PM »
LOL @ WTF is any rider about abortion doing on any other bill like this

Those fuccking d-bags appealing to religious base voters.
More importantly, LOL @ the d-bags who vote for a candidate because he introduced 75,000 abortion riders last year.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 05:29:22 PM »
LMFAO, if obama had done something to appeal to his base you would be praising him right now...

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 05:30:58 PM »
funny part is that the same place these morons go for abortions, they can go to get FREE contraceptives...

some ppl just dont fuking think

I thought that abortions were only like 3% of the money they get anyway... That's what everyone says anyway. So the contraceptives are the cost.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 05:35:25 PM »
LMFAO, if obama had done something to appeal to his base you would be praising him right now...

geez youre a broken record on that.  'but but if obama did this, you'd do this'.

well, he didnt.... i didnt... and your only defense for this douchebaggery anti abortion ridering is some bullshit hypothetical scenario, then I've already set up a tent and defecated in your brain and seem to own some real estate there.

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 06:09:12 PM »
I thought that abortions were only like 3% of the money they get anyway... That's what everyone says anyway. So the contraceptives are the cost.

Well if you do 3 abortions and hand out 97 condoms in a day, looks like 97% of your business is contraceptives now doesn't it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 06:42:06 PM »
Well if you do 3 abortions and hand out 97 condoms in a day, looks like 97% of your business is contraceptives now doesn't it.

They didn't say procedures... They said it was 3 percent of the budget.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 06:44:45 PM »
Libs rather kill black babies than educate them. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 06:46:26 PM »
Libs rather kill black babies than educate them. 

I don't think that's true... Well, I dunno. I consider myself pretty liberal on most social issues and I think education and planned parenthood are both good.

I think we need to be cutting in lots of other areas that no one ever talks about Defense / Medicare / Social Security.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 06:50:05 PM »
I was joking.  The only fair way to do cuts is right across the board. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 06:50:14 PM »
I don't think that's true... Well, I dunno. I consider myself pretty liberal on most social issues and I think education and planned parenthood are both good.

I think we need to be cutting in lots of other areas that no one ever talks about Defense / Medicare / Social Security.

?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 06:53:59 PM »
?

It's a reference to the fact I consider myself liberal, as would some, but many extreme liberals would say I'm conservative... I can only reference liberal vs. conservative within what I perceive them to be.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 06:59:05 PM »
It's a reference to the fact I consider myself liberal, as would some, but many extreme liberals would say I'm conservative... I can only reference liberal vs. conservative within what I perceive them to be.

are you unsure whether "libs" would rather kill black babies than educate them ?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 06:59:32 PM »
I was joking.  The only fair way to do cuts is right across the board.  

Exactly.

Cut assistance to poor mothers and senior medicare.

Cut tax rates for corporations and the wealthy.

Everyone takes a cut, dammmmit.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 07:05:34 PM »
are you unsure whether "libs" would rather kill black babies than educate them ?

I'm sure some extreme liberals put abortion in front of education... Don't you?

I don't think it's accurate to say "kill rather than educate" but there some extremes who seem to think that spending money on education is not as important as abortion, but then there's some extreme conservatives who think that spending money on education of sex is not important too.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 07:26:53 PM »
Yessir, it's the government's job to fund abortion. Best reward stupidity with the money to take care of the problems caused by it.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 07:40:20 PM »
geez youre a broken record on that.  'but but if obama did this, you'd do this'.

well, he didnt.... i didnt... and your only defense for this douchebaggery anti abortion ridering is some bullshit hypothetical scenario, then I've already set up a tent and defecated in your brain and seem to own some real estate there.
strong trolling these days bro...

google irony and apply it to your obsession with reps ;)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 08:03:05 PM »
I'm sure some extreme liberals put abortion in front of education... Don't you?
I don't think it's accurate to say "kill rather than educate" but there some extremes who seem to think that spending money on education is not as important as abortion, but then there's some extreme conservatives who think that spending money on education of sex is not important too.

no

are you joking?