Author Topic: if muscle weighs more than fat, explain this to me....  (Read 5776 times)

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
if muscle weighs more than fat, explain this to me....
« on: April 13, 2011, 09:29:54 AM »
what's up everyone! question, i've always heard it said that muscle weighs more than fat, and that if someone is very lean and muscular they can look like they weigh more than they do, right? so here's the question and here's the thing...

my gym buddy weighs 188 pounds and is very muscular and about somewhere between 10 to 12 percent bodyfat.

me? i weigh 221 pounds with probably 20 to 23 percent bodyfat.

it doesn't make sense to me? lol! i mean you would think this guy weighs more than me if muscle weighs more than fat, because he's pretty big and muscular compared to me, but i outweigh him by a good 30 pounds or so?

yeah, i guess the obvious answer is that my 30 plus pounds over him is by higher fat percentage, but i thought muscle weighs more than fat. and i don't think i look like i have that much bodyfat, i mean i know i do, but i don't look like i do, i just have a tiny pooch of a stomach and that's it.

it would seem the obvious answer is that i have more fat than he has muscle? but it doesn't look that way if you saw both of us? or maybe i have muscle to just covered with too much fat?

all i know is my buddy looks jacked at 188 pounds! and when a npc level bodybuider told me that i should go for being 210 and 10 percent bodyfat that it would make me look HUGE and look like i weigh alot more i thought he was kind of full of it! but damn if i could look like my buddy and yet weigh 20 plus more? shit!

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
Re: if muscle weighs more than fat, explain this to me....
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 01:05:46 PM »
cant tell you much without pics bro.

at 20% bodyfat you have quite a bit of chunkyness. 10% means visible abs and very little visible fat.

you will look much more muscular and bigger when your leaner, but not so much in clothes.

at 20% you will probably lose a ton off your waistline and you will not only be more defined everywhere else but the smaller waist will give for a greater illusion of size.

muscle doesnt weigh more than fat. one pound is one pound. but a pound of fat can be spread all over the body in very small amounts making it hardly noticeable, while a pound of skeletal muscle tissue gained is more visible to the eye. 

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 01:34:15 PM »
thanks tbombz for the reply! so what's my best bet to ge to where i want to be?

lately, instead of doing the 4 day a week (mon,tue,thurs,fri) typical bodybuilding routine you know chest/shoulders on monday, 3 exercises per bodypart, 3 to 4 sets, etcetera.

i've started doing supersetting routines and only working out ( that is lifting weights) monday, wednesday and friday.

tues, thurs,sat only cardio 20-25 minutes and ab and core exercises routine.

typical on monday i've been doing chest and back ( opposing muscle groups) doing 3 sets and 3 exercises of each bodypart, but hardly any rest in between, one long superset, rest a few minutes and do it all again until i've done the rotation 3 times (3 sets)

do shoulders and legs the same way on wednesday and friday do biceps and triceps.

been doing this for about a month and also been trying to do a high protein and moderate carb on the days i lift and high protein and low carbs on the day i do cardio.

think i will continue doing this until the end of summer, then come winter (bulking phase?) go back to working the usual 4 to 5 days a week lifting typical bodybuilding routines, but while not supersetting anymore still keep up the short 45 second to 1 minute rest between sets and still keep up with the cardio?

thought about just doing circuit training for the next few months, i know that stuff burns a bucket load of calories and helps a person gain strength, but to me whether rightly or wrongly it seems that is for people who are grossly overweight or have never workout before? i mean i am trying to go for the bodybuilder physique after all! get back to me on your thoughts! thanks again!

asbrus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 12:52:43 AM »
what's up everyone! question, i've always heard it said that muscle weighs more than fat, and that if someone is very lean and muscular they can look like they weigh more than they do, right? so here's the question and here's the thing...

my gym buddy weighs 188 pounds and is very muscular and about somewhere between 10 to 12 percent bodyfat.

it doesn't make sense to me? lol! i mean you would think this guy weighs more than me if muscle weighs more than fat, because he's pretty big and muscular compared to me, but i outweigh him by a good 30 pounds or so?

yeah, i guess the obvious answer is that my 30 plus pounds over him is by higher fat percentage, but i thought muscle weighs more than fat. and i don't think i look like i have that much bodyfat, i mean i know i do, but i don't look like i do, i just have a tiny pooch of a stomach and that's it.

it would seem the obvious answer is that i have more fat than he has muscle? but it doesn't look that way if you saw both of us? or maybe i have muscle to just covered with too much fat?

all i know is my buddy looks jacked at 188 pounds! and when a npc level bodybuider told me that i should go for being 210 and 10 percent bodyfat that it would make me look HUGE and look like i weigh alot more i thought he was kind of full of it! but damn if i could look like my buddy and yet weigh 20 plus more? shit!

MUSCLE D0SEN'T WEIGH M0RE THAN FAT. IT'S M0RE DENSE THAN FAT. 1LB 0F MUSCLE IS THE SAME AS 1LB 0F AT IN WEIGHT.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 06:20:19 AM »
I remember telling a guy in the Gym to start doing a bit of Cardio after his workout. He was a guy like you i think..who used to be strong and pump out the close grip Benches.. curls till he Dropped BUT walked around in a skin tight T-shirt and had a BELLY because he was, infact overweight. The story is always the same..you eat too much, go on the piss at the weekends,your Cardio is not intense enough..and Bigger is not always better. Look at Frank Zane..pure class.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 09:28:09 AM »
youve hit the nail on the head there,,,,

train as much as u like,,, if your eating more than 'you' need youl either get fat or stay fat, even if you are eating clean, if your eating much more than you burn youl still be a plumper

dogbowl

• Getbig IV
  • Team anyone except heath
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 10:49:38 PM »

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 03:14:20 AM »

MUSCLE D0SEN'T WEIGH M0RE THAN FAT. IT'S M0RE DENSE THAN FAT. 1LB 0F MUSCLE IS THE SAME AS 1LB 0F AT IN WEIGHT.
Muscle does weigh more then fat. What this means is that if you get 2 bins of equal volume and fill 1 bin with fat and the other with muscle the one with muscle will weigh more.
 On a body however the musculer man with little fat will give the illusion that he takesup more space

asbrus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 01:16:21 PM »
Muscle does weigh more then fat. What this means is that if you get 2 bins of equal volume and fill 1 bin with fat and the other with muscle the one with muscle will weigh more.
 On a body however the musculer man with little fat will give the illusion that he takesup more space

N0 Y0U'RE WR0NG. PE0PLE USUALLY LEARN THIS IN ELEMENTARY SCH00L THAT 1 LB 0F TW0 DIFFERENT ITEMS IS THE SAME. 5LBS 0F FAT WEIGHS THE SAME AS 5LBS 0F MUSCLE. DENSITY IS N0T THE SAME AS WEIGHT.

Density is mass/(volume) while weigh is mass/(gravity).
Examlpe:
A ton of iron and a ton of straw weigh the same (a ton) but take up different amounts of space due to different densities.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_density_and_weight#ixzz1KJhCEiVF

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 02:05:01 PM »
N0 Y0U'RE WR0NG. PE0PLE USUALLY LEARN THIS IN ELEMENTARY SCH00L THAT 1 LB 0F TW0 DIFFERENT ITEMS IS THE SAME. 5LBS 0F FAT WEIGHS THE SAME AS 5LBS 0F MUSCLE. DENSITY IS N0T THE SAME AS WEIGHT.

Examlpe:
A ton of iron and a ton of straw weigh the same (a ton) but take up different amounts of space due to different densities.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_density_and_weight#ixzz1KJhCEiVF
What, jesus, we aren't in grade 2 here , everybody knows that 5 pounds of feathers weighs the same as 5 pounds of iron, duh, What we are talking about here is having 2 equal volumes ' 1 with fat, 1 with muscle. The bin with muscle weighs more, hence muscle weighs more, you are wrong.Please explain to me when I claimed that a pound of anything weighs more then another pound of something else. Nobody said that

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 10:51:23 AM »

Examlpe:

Hahaaa - we're talking about volume, not density! You've completely missed the point of the argument.

Muscle will always weigh more than fat when taking up the same volume.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 04:28:25 PM »
Hahaaa - we're talking about volume, not density! You've completely missed the point of the argument.

Muscle will always weigh more than fat when taking up the same volume.

Thank you

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 06:51:12 PM »

Examlpe:

Weight is mass times gravity you goddamned idiot.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 09:40:28 PM »

I don't understand your question but everyone looks bigger with less bf% unless your nickname is "Black flag red star". ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »

By volume, muscle weighs more than fat; that is a physiological FACT.
Your fat volume probably exceeds your friend’s muscle volume.
Don’t forget to factor in any possible height differential, as that can also play a significant role.

People often (honestly) miscalculate their body fat composition.
Even the chain gym “trainers” with their little calipers and digital sensor bullshit hand devices do not always get an exact measurement.

The reason you can look “bigger” leaner is that lower body fat makes the muscle you have more visible.
Sharpening the shape and definition of your musculature enhances the appearance of your muscle.
That explains why, when dieting for a show, guys are actually dropping total body weight, but their muscles appear larger.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 02:41:11 AM »
I was training for a contest in 2001 and was never leaner  ( 4% bf easy )...........lightweight class,154 pounds,people guessed my weight at between 170-180 !!  LOL  :)

Your muscles stand out more pronounced, and you just look bigger and better.......you can`t flex fat!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 04:40:24 AM »
I was training for a contest in 2001 and was never leaner  ( 4% bf easy )...........lightweight class,154 pounds,people guessed my weight at between 170-180 !!  LOL  :)

Your muscles stand out more pronounced, and you just look bigger and better.......you can`t flex fat!!
yes very true. what is your split Wes?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 05:46:49 AM »
Right now I`m training for another contest (first one in 3 1/2 years so lots of cardio (5-6 days a week but nothing really too strenuous)...........relying mostly on my diet.

Mon.-Quads,Hams,Calves
Tues.- Chest,Abs,Cardio
Wed.-Back,Traps,Lower-Back,Cardio
Thurs. Delts,Abs,Cardio,(sometimes a bit more calf work but not always)
Fri.- Arms,Forearms,Cardio

Sat.-Cardio,Few sets of ab work
Sun.-Cardio (not always,depends on how I feel)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 05:54:14 AM »
Right now I`m training for another contest (first one in 3 1/2 years so lots of cardio (5-6 days a week but nothing really too strenuous)...........relying mostly on my diet.

Mon.-Quads,Hams,Calves
Tues.- Chest,Abs,Cardio
Wed.-Back,Traps,Lower-Back,Cardio
Thurs. Delts,Abs,Cardio,(sometimes a bit more calf work but not always)
Fri.- Arms,Forearms,Cardio

Sat.-Cardio,Few sets of ab work
Sun.-Cardio (not always,depends on how I feel)

sounds good. what do you think of hitting a muscle 2x a week? thanks for taking the time to answer.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 10:00:39 AM »
I`ve tried twice a week,but found my legs didn`t recover well at all.

I`m thinking of doing it again though.......once heavy and basic,second time less rest more intense,super-sets,tri-sets,etc.

I was just thinking about this yesterday after watching some old school training stuff on You Tube...........got me thinking.

We`ll see.

Attila

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 12:04:43 PM »
Yep I always understood it to mean volume vs. volume.
"lifting for life"