Author Topic: Universities that live off their prestige but actually offer little else:  (Read 10952 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I used to hear stories from friends who attended Harvard, Yale, et al. about the quality of education they received from these places. Now, I have been attending a so-called prestigious university and finding out to my dismay that this trend, if it is a trend, holds true. At my current institution (Imperial College), it seems that there is little else than reputation and not only in my department but in others. Most of the graduates here simply enter finance, banking and investment upon graduation irrespective of their course of studies and looking back at it, my 'shitty' State University of New York that I attended as an undergraduate gave me a better education in terms of breadth and learning, with better instruction and teachers than anything here for a much better price. Unfortunately this formula of prestige keeps people rolling in again and again, but you have to admit that it is fucked up. There is just something wrong about universities whose sole attributes are prestige and research quality where everything else goes to pot. I suppose this is sort of a rant but I wonder if any of you have experienced this as well. ???
I hate the State.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
I used to hear stories from friends who attended Harvard, Yale, et al. about the quality of education they received from these places. Now, I have been attending a so-called prestigious university and finding out to my dismay that this trend, if it is a trend, holds true. At my current institution (Imperial College), it seems that there is little else than reputation and not only in my department but in others. Most of the graduates here simply enter finance, banking and investment upon graduation irrespective of their course of studies and looking back at it, my 'shitty' State University of New York that I attended as an undergraduate gave me a better education in terms of breadth and learning, with better instruction and teachers than anything here for a much better price. Unfortunately this formula of prestige keeps people rolling in again and again, but you have to admit that it is fucked up. There is just something wrong about universities whose sole attributes are prestige and research quality where everything else goes to pot. I suppose this is sort of a rant but I wonder if any of you have experienced this as well. ???

Wholeheartedly agree.

My undergrad years I attended an IVY league in NYC. For my graduate degree work I went to a SUNY in the city.  

I found that:

(A) The professors were of the same caliber. Heck, often times the same professors that taught at Columbia would also teach at the SUNY on their days off.

(B) It was very inexpensive to go to a SUNY.

(C) At the end, after you pass boards and gather the necessary certifications needed, it makes very little difference when looking for a workplace.  GRANTED a Harvard grad with a strong GPA in his discipline will always get a second look, but I've also seen a Harvard grad with a shitty GPA be considered as much as the next guy.

(D) Networking was pretty much the same.

"1"

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Why are you a mid 30s perpetual student?  Haven`t you grown tired of it yet?  I mean you could easily just wait for Chomsky`s books or Pinker`s books to come out and study them and re-study them.  Wouldn`t that be more effective as far as learning goes, not to mention cost?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Wholeheartedly agree.

My undergrad years I attended an IVY league in NYC. For my graduate degree work I went to a SUNY in the city.  

I found that:

(A) The professors were of the same caliber. Heck, often times the same professors that taught at Columbia would also teach at the SUNY on their days off.

(B) It was very inexpensive to go to a SUNY.

(C) At the end, after you pass boards and gather the necessary certifications needed, it makes very little difference when looking for a workplace.  GRANTED a Harvard grad with a strong GPA in his discipline will always get a second look, but I've also seen a Harvard grad with a shitty GPA be considered as much as the next guy.

(D) Networking was pretty much the same.

"1"
At the end of the day facts are facts no matter where you learn them.

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
At the end of the day facts are facts no matter where you learn them.

At the end of the day you are stupid queer. That's a fact.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Why are you a mid 30s perpetual student?  Haven`t you grown tired of it yet?  I mean you could easily just wait for Chomsky`s books or Pinker`s books to come out and study them and re-study them.  Wouldn`t that be more effective as far as learning goes, not to mention cost?

Most doctoral degrees are earned in the mid 30s; I was 31 when I finished.  Many MBAs are earned in the 30s as well.  The JD is usually late 20s-mid 30s.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
At the end of the day you are stupid queer. That's a fact.
;D

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
The average graduating age in my program was probably around 30 for a Ph.D.  If you go straight through school (BS-MS-PhD) there is no reason you can't be done at 28 or so, as long as you're not in some weird social sciences program where PhDs take 10 years.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
The average graduating age in my program was probably around 30 for a Ph.D.
Watch, in a decade it will be 40 years old.  Its really just a financial game at this point and as long as the fools continue to line up and pay, it will only get worse.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Most doctoral degrees are earned in the mid 30s; I was 31 when I finished.  Many MBAs are earned in the 30s as well.  The JD is usually late 20s-mid 30s.
And still nobody is going to write Beethoven`s Ninth Symphony.  What hijinks.

jwb

• Getbig V
And still nobody is going to write Beethoven`s Ninth Symphony.  What hijinks.
Why would someone need to write it again?

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
Watch, in a decade it will be 40 years old.  Its really just a financial game at this point and as long as the fools continue to line up and pay, it will only get worse.

I don't think it will ever get that bad at least in the sciences.  The programs are still and have always been set up so that a PhD takes 4-5 years and if you take longer than that it's hard to stay in the program.  There are fields in the humanities today where it is not altogether uncommon to take 10 years on a PhD though.  Also in the sciences doing multiple post-docs (2-3 years each) before getting a faculty position is becoming pretty common but that's mostly due to the shitty job market.

The real number to look at is average years to earn the degree, since lots of people are not 22 when they start grad school.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Why would someone need to write it again?
Thats precisely the point.  Its an exercise in obvious futility.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V

MBA at 29 here.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
Regardless, let's say you get an MBA from a prestigious Univ but the education was sub par.  It really doesn't matter, part of what you are paying for is the recruiting process and abilities to attract key companies.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
bs. most, me included, get masters late 20s
A

che

• Getbig V
MBA at 20 here

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Regardless, let's say you get an MBA from a prestigious Univ but the education was sub par.  It really doesn't matter, part of what you are paying for is the recruiting process and abilities to attract key companies.
Is that where you learned to be a gaudy piece of white trash who does nothing but partake in a throw away society?

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
MBA at 20 here

lol That would be nice albeit impossible

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
makes no sense to go to college for 10 years with debt, even 5 youll go into debt. just make a modest income live within means

if i lived life all over again id just pay some cheap rent for a shitty apartment by the beach, id have no car only a bicycle and just mow lawns and paint
A

efanhowz

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
What really counts is if you can talk your way through an interview and come off as friendly, outgoing, not cocky, but also knowledgable. I have 2 friends that graduated USC business. 1 is a temp. 1 works at twitter. I think education doesn't really matter unless it's specialized

BUT MAINLY IT'S WHO YOU KNOW

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
Is that where you learned to be a gaudy piece of white trash who does nothing but partake in a throw away society?

No it's where I've grown to look down upon the scoundrels and rats that crawl the earth such as yourself.  ;)

The_Leafy_Bug

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
What really counts is if you can talk your way through an interview and come off as friendly, outgoing, not cocky, but also knowledgable. I have 2 friends that graduated USC business. 1 is a temp. 1 works at twitter. I think education doesn't really matter unless it's specialized

BUT MAINLY IT'S WHO YOU KNOW

This is it.

Education is not very important these days. It's just all about nailing the interview and having connections to get in. Education is just the icing on the cake nowadays. Usually I think getting a Masters is a waste of time and money, except for a small handful of fields.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
MBA = GED

Need to try a little harder there.  Go practice and try again later