Author Topic: Universities that live off their prestige but actually offer little else:  (Read 10946 times)

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
lol That would be nice albeit impossible
A

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
makes no sense to go to college for 10 years with debt, even 5 youll go into debt. just make a modest income live within means

if i lived life all over again id just pay some cheap rent for a shitty apartment by the beach, id have no car only a bicycle and just mow lawns and paint
work part time and go to college at same time. then for mba, work full time go to college part time. you lazy fuck.
A

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
makes no sense to go to college for 10 years with debt, even 5 youll go into debt. just make a modest income live within means

if i lived life all over again id just pay some cheap rent for a shitty apartment by the beach, id have no car only a bicycle and just mow lawns and paint

Wow.  Do you really beleive in this?

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
 The University system is a hustle, it's a business.

The degree is usually NOT worth what you invest into it.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
1. TA claims he has all of these degrees yet he bags on the people getting their degrees at 30 or older....like he's freaking Doogie Houser.

2. UCLA about 18-25k per year
   USC $55k per year

Both schools are great.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
The University system is a hustle, it's a business.

The degree is usually NOT worth what you invest into it.

So wrong!  A strong educational system provokes a good economy. Look at India.  Even the US as a case study.  The educational system is in shambles right now and coincidentally so is the financial system.

I've recently recruited and brought 5 people from other countries to Canada to work. Mainly due to not being able to find good talent locally.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
So wrong!  A strong educational system provokes a good economy. Look at India.  Even the US as a case study.  The educational system is in shambles right now and coincidentally so is the financial system.

I've recently recruited and brought 5 people from other countries to Canada to work. Mainly due to not being able to find good talent locally.
yup, a degree is very important in getting a good job, especially in this economy.
A

Firemuscle

• Getbig V

Generally. An education is important, and on a nationwide scale it's important to have an educated populace.

But right now in the USA, for an individual. Getting a degree usually does NOT pay off.

I've seen it a million times. People with degrees working retail or other shit jobs.

There is an over-abundance of University graduates right now and not enough jobs to go around for all of them.

che

• Getbig V
yup, a degree is very important in getting a good job, especially in this economy.

What's a good  job?

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
BSRF, I can tell you now that's simply not true! We are in dire need of more developers and project managers. Having a hard time in a city of 6Million, offering good six figure salary with bonus attached to that. I can bring a well educated East Indian here pay him/her 100k give them a car, work visa etc., and they will work circles around everyone else. Uruguay as well seems to have an awesome talent pool. We'll we have been lucky at least.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World

the problem with India is that they have over a billion people, and out of those, only a small faction of those are "really bright" ones...No matter where you go in this world, the rich and the educated are in power, and amny times this goes hand in hand---or in some places like Central America or West Africa---the smart people get killed off, because they are competition.

One of the main failings of the American Educational system is that everybody is "above average"---and grades are given. My mother was a teacher for 42 yrs--very strict, but parents wanted my mother to give their kids grades (We are not C parents), I ran into this when I was student teaching...I said to hell with that...and got out. 

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V

Good for you for going to Imperial College, regardless of what you think of the program, its a HUGE name and I hear very hard to get into.

I'm doing my PhD at a State University (UCF) now and finding the engineering program there just as good, if not BETTER, than the one at the bigger name private university where I did my undergrad and Masters (George Washington University).

Makes you wonder!

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
No it's where I've grown to look down upon the scoundrels and rats that crawl the earth such as yourself.  ;)

You relish the realm of peasantry with your cheap dry-wall and plastic Korfam Kenneth Cole shoes.  The king of leases and large debt to income ratio is hardly something worth trumpeting about.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
work part time and go to college at same time. then for mba, work full time go to college part time. you lazy fuck.

ROFLMAO at work, work, work, work mentality.

When will you ever find time to live?  When you are dead?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V

You oughta be put out to pasture for not "hiring" Americans and outsourcing.  However, you probably didn`t hire anybody and just thought the story too cute and had to post.  You are nothing but a philandering weasel who probably should be brought to justice so we don`t have to see your posts for a few years.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
Never heard of "Imperial College" Ita prestige probably exists only in your head, so that's probably why it offers little else.

Hope this helps.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Never heard of "Imperial College" - so that's probably why it offers little.

Hope this helps.

Located in London, England...  You can say its one of the most prestigious universities in the world, and very hard to get into!

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
Located in London, England...  You can say its one of the most prestigious universities in the world, and very hard to get into!

Heard of the colleges at Oxford and Cambridge and the LSE.  Imperial College, not so much.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V

Looked up on wikipedia: Imperial College has a mammoth endowment of 60m pounds.

LMAO.  No wonder it can't offer anything.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Heard of the colleges at Oxford and Cambridge and the LSE.  Imperial College, not so much.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/top-200.html

Cambridge and Oxford are tied for 6th place worldwide, Imperial is at 9th...

London School of Economics is somewhere in the 80's!

Nice to see my Alma Mater (GWU) on the list, even if its 95th lol

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
"Times" higher education.... they wouldn't be pulling for the "home teams" now would they.  That list is pretty ridiculous below the top 6. Everybody knows what a prestigious school is.  No need for rankings.

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT, Oxford, Cambridge .... maybe Columbia.  The rest are all wannabes.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/top-200.html

Cambridge and Oxford are tied for 6th place worldwide, Imperial is at 9th...

London School of Economics is somewhere in the 80's!

Nice to see my Alma Mater (GWU) on the list, even if its 95th lol

Schmoff

• Getbig V
Most doctoral degrees are earned in the mid 30s; I was 31 when I finished.  Many MBAs are earned in the 30s as well.  The JD is usually late 20s-mid 30s.

what field is your doctoral degree in?

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V

Yeah Bay, I didn't know you had a PhD?  What did you study?

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
are you a physician, Onemorerep?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
are you a physician, Onemorerep?

Ask nicely and maybe you`ll get him to play doctor.