Author Topic: Universities that live off their prestige but actually offer little else:  (Read 10953 times)

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
Somehow TA seems to have this sense of entitlement and really doesn't know the meaning of "work" or knowing what it's like to work for something or take care of a family. Seems he's had everything handed to him or maybe inherited something.....but work is definitely not in his vocabulary. 

Nope he has no money  ;)  Zero anything.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
It's a shame TA derailed my thread. Not the first time. He can be such an annoying bugger.
I hate the State.

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
I used to hear stories from friends who attended Harvard, Yale, et al. about the quality of education they received from these places. Now, I have been attending a so-called prestigious university and finding out to my dismay that this trend, if it is a trend, holds true. At my current institution (Imperial College), it seems that there is little else than reputation and not only in my department but in others. Most of the graduates here simply enter finance, banking and investment upon graduation irrespective of their course of studies and looking back at it, my 'shitty' State University of New York that I attended as an undergraduate gave me a better education in terms of breadth and learning, with better instruction and teachers than anything here for a much better price. Unfortunately this formula of prestige keeps people rolling in again and again, but you have to admit that it is fucked up. There is just something wrong about universities whose sole attributes are prestige and research quality where everything else goes to pot. I suppose this is sort of a rant but I wonder if any of you have experienced this as well. ???

So you're still living the dream? (Mid 30s, 10 degrees, 20 languages, and haven't earned one dime?)

How about getting jobs instead of degrees?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Other than not continuing playing baseball the biggest regret in my life was not finishing up my degree and actually experiencing a college life. Every time I step on campus at USC or UCLA (about twice a month to each) or when I visit other Universities around the country for seminars, I feel like I really missed out. I envy you guys that have went and experienced that "college life". I see the kids that I've worked with since they were in Jr. high through HS and some since even elementary school going on recruiting trips to different colleges, planning their lives, etc. The only thing I can do now is help some of these kids gain scholarships through their athletics (we've helped about 15-20) and help tutor to get their GPA's up for college, HS and just to stay in OUR program. (My wife is a credentialed teacher). Kick myself everyday.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
So you're still living the dream? (Mid 30s, 10 degrees, 20 languages, and haven't earned one dime?)

How about getting jobs instead of degrees?

I tried, which why I am doing the current degree, to make me marketable.
I hate the State.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior

How many degrees do you have Deicide?

Boost

• Getbig V
Have you ever thought of cleaning up your image?

Good looking, lean people are more attractive to employers.

Who wants to hire an Overweight guy?..... Potentially horrible sickness record + Lazy lifestyle indicative of lazy work ethic.

3 Steps for you to enter the workplace:

Lose some weight

Learn to smile

Clean Shaven + Nice Tan

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
How many degrees do you have Deicide?

Going on my 2nd Masters...so 3rd degree.
I hate the State.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.

Learn to smile

Apparently this is not on the curriculum at Imperial College.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...

Who wants to hire an Overweight guy?..... Potentially horrible sickness record + Lazy lifestyle indicative of lazy work ethic.

Lose some weight

Learn to smile

Clean Shaven + Nice Tan

You are trapped in the past.
I hate the State.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V

Lose some weight

Learn to smile

Clean Shaven + Nice Tan

Yes being jacked + tan are keys to life, well said Boost.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
Toxic Avenger is going to have a starting salary of 250,000 when he 'finishes'  ::) ::) ::) ::)
L

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
rutgers university paying 32,000 for snookie to speak to their student body! and with the few who protested that ( which is scary that the majority that it was okay and cool?!) they now think to make the school look better in their eyes trying to hire bruce springsteen to speak! lol! love the boss, but what is he going to say " born in the u.s.a., go u.s.a. and um, what else?)
The Boss Bruce Springsteen could not stand college and dropped out to never return without finishing a year.  I don`t know Snooki`s story at all, but I don`t think she ever went to or finished a college.

Why do they then hire them to speak at college graduations?

Because it is a giant show.  Entertainment. (athletics, etc.) and lastly, MONEY-MONEY-MONEY.

Its all a scam and you are being had.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Come on!  It's fairly obvious this guy isn't very bright.  He doesn't have a degree nor does he have an established career.  I'm 100% on that  ;)
Proof please.  You plastic cheap schmuck.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
men work you bitch made m*th@fuck@. stop bleeding the system, you ungrateful fuck.
How do I "bleed the system"?  I have never taken a dime from the government, never taken out a loan, never have lived off credit, nothing.

So tell me, how is this "bleeding the system"?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Nope he has no money  ;)  Zero anything.
Would you like to compare houses?

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
so true, the true adonis! all about money, athletics and entertainment! EDUCATION A DISTANT THIRD, MAYBE 4TH! SAD!

why do you think the highest paid people are the coaches, well football coaches that is! because football brings in the money to the campus! and funny that not a single person (the people who hold the purse strings) thinks this is wrong, morally and socially wrong much less any of these coaches for them to get paid a hundreds of thousands of dollars if not a million dollars while the actual reason for the school (any school for that matter) is supposedly for the education and training of students and the teachers are the first to be let go!

i guess i was raised to be too morally right, perhaps i was born in the wrong era!

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
so true, the true adonis! all about money, athletics and entertainment! EDUCATION A DISTANT THIRD, MAYBE 4TH! SAD!

why do you think the highest paid people are the coaches, well football coaches that is! because football brings in the money to the campus! and funny that not a single person (the people who hold the purse strings) thinks this is wrong, morally and socially wrong much less any of these coaches for them to get paid a hundreds of thousands of dollars if not a million dollars while the actual reason for the school (any school for that matter) is supposedly for the education and training of students and the teachers are the first to be let go!

i guess i was raised to be too morally right, perhaps i was born in the wrong era!

lol, you claim to be morally upstanding, but you begin by agreeing with the true adonis - one of satan's lesser imps.  

che

• Getbig V

The True Adonis

• Getbig V

EXACTLY. 

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
You mean the house that X-Factor worked for to buy or the house you inherited without doing a damn thing? Tell us TA, what do you do for a living again?

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
i don't know about true adonis's previous postings, all i know is that i agree with him on this particular subject, that's it. later everyone!

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
i don't know about true adonis's previous postings, all i know is that i agree with him on this particular subject, that's it. later everyone!

Thanks for posting, Tom!

Campeon Del Mundo

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
   I graduated from one of the smaller California State University campuses.  They didn't have a football team.  It was at that time a small college and I missed out on real college life.  I wish I would have gone to a more recognizable major university, but not a party school.

But the so called pretigious universities don't make good students.  Good students just go there.  I've said this for years.

But one thing i've noticed about prestigous universities is that the classes tend to be more specific and more oriented towards academic research and not the work place.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
It's sad to say but a lot of these degrees are worthless. You end up with a lot of student debt and no real career to show for it. So many who get PHD's find the only good job they can get that pays well is teaching at a university. Other than that it's almost a worthless piece of paper for many.

So many college profesors have never been in the real world. They were students till they are 30 and then they taught college. They have a liberal warped view of the world. Yes they make 100K plus teaching but many couuldn't make it in the outside world.

In todays world if you go to college you have to treat it as a trade school. You have to ask yourself, when I get that piece of paper where do I go for my job?  If the answer is I don't know, then good luck. Many dream that if they only get that MBA then a buisness will be so impressed that they will give them an office, reserved parking and a secretary.  The truth is that the entry job they land they could have gotten with no degree. Now they have 100k of studen loans to pay.  They would have made more money opening up a deli or pizza store with that money.