Author Topic: GSP P4P REALLY??  (Read 6737 times)

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
GSP P4P REALLY??
« on: May 01, 2011, 09:38:22 AM »
Hahaha getting busted up by Jake freakin Shields and cries that he cant see. Erik Morales fought his last fight with his eye shut and never complained. Every since Sierra ko'd his chinny ass, hes been fighting saftey first.

Fedor never fought like that in his reign ;)

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Re: GSP P4P REALLY??
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 11:34:54 AM »
I honestly expected GSP to steamroll Jake in the 1st round.  Jake's standup really didn't look any different than it has in the past, it just seemed like once again.....GSP was just content with pot shotting Jake to yet another point victory, maybe he was scared to over commit to strikes and risk Jake taking him down....either way he has been overly conservative in every facet since Serra cleaned his clock.  Erik Morales has balls of steel, I saw that fight and he fought his ass off with one eye against a brutal puncher who was naturally bigger than him for 11 rounds.  Gsp's eye was injured late in the second.....he had 2 rounds of fully functioning eyes that he could have gotten Jake out of there in. 
Predictions
 40/61

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 06:17:31 PM »
I hate to say it, but Anderson would make mincemeat out of him if he fights the way he did against SHields.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 06:48:24 AM »
I hate to say it, but Anderson would make mincemeat out of him if he fights the way he did against SHields.

What's what i've been saying all along.

Anderson would dice him up.

I think GSP should move up to 185, but not right to Anderson.  Start with top 5 and work up.  I'd like to see a Belfort/GSP fight.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 07:34:18 AM »
GSP is currently fighting the best at 170 and I feel a move to 185 would kill his career. Other than Silva, there's really no outstanding talent for him to fight there either.

GSP and Anderson are so far ahead of anyone else, they appear to not be challenging themselves, when in fact they are.

If 185 was better stacked than 170, then I would be worth the move.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 07:39:43 AM »
GSP is currently fighting the best at 170 and I feel a move to 185 would kill his career. Other than Silva, there's really no outstanding talent for him to fight there either.

GSP and Anderson are so far ahead of anyone else, they appear to not be challenging themselves, when in fact they are.

If 185 was better stacked than 170, then I would be worth the move.

The talent pool at 85 may not be the best outside of Silva, but remember those guys are physically bigger than GSP.  How would GSP handle Marquardt or Okami?  Vitor would be a hellava fight imo.  I don't think GSP would storm thru the division.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 07:54:17 AM »
The talent pool at 85 may not be the best outside of Silva, but remember those guys are physically bigger than GSP.  How would GSP handle Marquardt or Okami?  Vitor would be a hellava fight imo.  I don't think GSP would storm thru the division.

This is exactly my point....what incentive does GSP have to move up in weight? He IS being challenged now at WW, it just doesn't appear that way because of his safe style.

I feel there is little benefit to GSP moving up and I doubt we'll see it.

Marquardt's next fight is at 170.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 08:09:17 AM »

This is exactly my point....what incentive does GSP have to move up in weight? He IS being challenged now at WW, it just doesn't appear that way because of his safe style.

I feel there is little benefit to GSP moving up and I doubt we'll see it.

Marquardt's next fight is at 170.

If Marquardt can perform at 170 well, this should be a legit matchup.  His striking is much better than GSP's imo..  and his wrestling is strong too.  I see a Marquartd win.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 08:10:35 AM »
If Marquardt can perform at 170 well, this should be a legit matchup.  His striking is much better than GSP's imo..  and his wrestling is strong too.  I see a Marquartd win.

It would be interesting, except they occasionally train together.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 08:14:02 AM »

Nate has been one of GSP's main training partners in preparation for fights for almost 4 years now.
Predictions
 40/61

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 08:20:41 AM »
Nate has been one of GSP's main training partners in preparation for fights for almost 4 years now.

Well there goes that fight..  unless you think one of two things will occur:

1.  UFC will force the fight, or
2.  They'll fight regardless of their friendship.

Thoughts Chute?

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 08:42:57 AM »
Hahaha getting busted up by Jake freakin Shields and cries that he cant see. Erik Morales fought his last fight with his eye shut and never complained. Every since Sierra ko'd his chinny ass, hes been fighting saftey first.

Fedor never fought like that in his reign ;)

Fedor fought cans.  GSP fights the best int he world, and dominates every single one.
w

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 11:22:08 AM »
Well there goes that fight..  unless you think one of two things will occur:

1.  UFC will force the fight, or
2.  They'll fight regardless of their friendship.

Thoughts Chute?

First off im curious to see how Nate handles that cut, he's pretty big for a middleweight let alone a welter.  I think they can manage to avoid fighting each other for a while though,  A.K.A has 3 WW.'s that have all managed to avoid fighting each other (Kos,Fitch,Swick).  I really doubt they'll fight each other unless, one of them has a falling out with Greg Jackson.
Predictions
 40/61

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 11:24:17 AM »
Fedor fought cans.  GSP fights the best int he world, and dominates every single one.

If by dominate you mean ekes out a victory.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 11:33:36 AM »
This is what pisses me off about GSP:  that he dominates the other guy, but never can finish anyone.  How does one correct this?  Work striking?  Not be so defensive in a fight.  IDK.  That's why I didn't waste $55.99 on this UFC.   I knew it was gonna be a vintage GSP decision by bore and snore.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 11:45:27 AM »
This is what pisses me off about GSP:  that he dominates the other guy, but never can finish anyone.  How does one correct this?  Work striking?  Not be so defensive in a fight.  IDK.  That's why I didn't waste $55.99 on this UFC.   I knew it was gonna be a vintage GSP decision by bore and snore.

I agree...that is the big dilemma with GSP. If he's so dominant, why can't he finish a fight?

But at the same time, he's winning the fights and defending his belt. He's smart not to put himself in risky positions.

To me, I think GSP is one of the best, but at this point in his career, I would say he is nowhere near legendary status do to his safe style of fighting.

The first guy that can make GSP uncomfortable in a fight can defeat GSP.  GSP's biggest weakness is his fear of defeat.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 12:10:03 PM »
I agree.  I don't think Diaz can beat him.  Hopefully Marquartd can get a shot at some point.

I also doubt Silva/Gsp ever takes place.  It's marketing suicide for one of them.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 12:47:54 PM »
I don't think it will ever happen either.  Whomever loses will claim "weight issues" and I don't want to hear it.

A Jon Jones/ Anderson Silva would be nice though and more reasonable.  Silva has fought at 205 before, so it wouldn't be a big stretch.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 04:08:18 PM »
If by dominate you mean ekes out a victory.

ekes out a victory?  He stuffed every single take down.  Kept the fight exactly where he wanted it.  And, in spite of getting eye-fucked, still pulled out the unanimous decision. 
w

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 04:16:24 PM »
Guys, GSP just fought one of the best ever welterweights and he did it with one eye!  In his 32 fights, Shields has only been finished once (his 3rd fight 11 years ago).  And, you could tell that GSP was trying hard to finish him.  He must have thrown that overhand right at least two dozen times and it came a hair away from landing on more than one occasion. 

Of his 22 wins, GSP has finished 13 (3 of them after the Serra loss).  IMO, he is still the best P4P fighter and greatest welterweight ever.  I hope they feed him Diaz.
w

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 04:27:01 PM »
And, you could tell that GSP was trying hard to finish him. 

You're a funny guy.

basil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 04:58:20 PM »
I honestly expected GSP to steamroll Jake in the 1st round.  Jake's standup really didn't look any different than it has in the past, it just seemed like once again.....GSP was just content with pot shotting Jake to yet another point victory, maybe he was scared to over commit to strikes and risk Jake taking him down....either way he has been overly conservative in every facet since Serra cleaned his clock.  Erik Morales has balls of steel, I saw that fight and he fought his ass off with one eye against a brutal puncher who was naturally bigger than him for 11 rounds.  Gsp's eye was injured late in the second.....he had 2 rounds of fully functioning eyes that he could have gotten Jake out of there in. 

You're comparing apples to oranges.  In the Morales-Maidana fight, Morales was in survival mode.  He was not dictating the pace of the fight, and was looking to make the 12 rounds regardless of the amount of damage he took.  Morales has prob already suffered a considerable amount of brain damage from the punishment he's taken over his career.  GSP was in total control of the fight, despite his injury.  He would have to be a fool/retarded to do anything that would put him at a greater disadvantage than he already was.  If Shields had any balls, he would have went after the lame duck instead of standing back and being controlled.  GSP did the smartest thing he could have done with the injury by staying where he felt comfortable and still controlling things.  The fight was 3 days ago, GSP is still champ, and Sheilds suffered his first lost in a dogs age, so GSP obviously made the right decision(s). 

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 05:19:40 PM »
You're a funny guy.

You couldn't tell that he was trying to force a KO?  When have you seen GSP throw that over righ hand before?  He clearly trained for it and tried hard to land it.  Unfortunately, it didn't happen...
w

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 10:26:12 PM »
He won, that's all that matters.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 07:32:34 AM »
You're comparing apples to oranges.  In the Morales-Maidana fight, Morales was in survival mode.  He was not dictating the pace of the fight, and was looking to make the 12 rounds regardless of the amount of damage he took.  Morales has prob already suffered a considerable amount of brain damage from the punishment he's taken over his career.  GSP was in total control of the fight, despite his injury.  He would have to be a fool/retarded to do anything that would put him at a greater disadvantage than he already was.  If Shields had any balls, he would have went after the lame duck instead of standing back and being controlled.  GSP did the smartest thing he could have done with the injury by staying where he felt comfortable and still controlling things.  The fight was 3 days ago, GSP is still champ, and Sheilds suffered his first lost in a dogs age, so GSP obviously made the right decision(s). 

Jake was in survival mode the entire fight, while GSP was in his usual "safe mode", even before his eye was hurt.  Jake was the same old Jake he always is (stand up wise) and GSP failed to capitalize on that.  GSP was probably so afraid of Jake getting the take down  that he just pot shotted him all night from the outside rather than going for the kill and risking being taken down.  GSP had 2 rounds of fully functioning eyes to get it done and he chose stand and pray rather than the "finish" that he always promises.  Much like in his last fight in which HE had a one eyed Koscheck in front of him for almost the entire fight, yet he still lacked the balls to go out and put the stamp on that dead man walking.  It's official that Matt Serra took GSP's balls, and we'll probably never see another exciting highlight reel finish from him again because he's too scared of the consequences in that risk.
Predictions
 40/61