Author Topic: Gsp vs. nick diaz set for october  (Read 16871 times)

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
Gsp vs. nick diaz set for october
« on: May 02, 2011, 11:52:24 AM »
Diaz is has an unpredictable style that can really give GSP some problems, mainly psychologically.  Everything about GSP is so calculated that an unpredictable fighter like Diaz can really screw with him

Diaz is also not afraid to take some shots in order to get his hands on GSP.

If nothing else, Diaz can make for an exciting GSP fight.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
Re: Gsp vs. nick diaz set for october
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 01:14:55 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing this.  I think Diaz can hang on the ground with gsp, at least in terms of JJ. 

I don't know what's next for GSP.  Perhaps marquardt if he drops.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 01:36:54 PM »
Marquardt already has a fight lined up with Anthony Johnson on UFC Versus 4 6/26

I like the idea of Diaz vs GSP.  

You got one guy (Diaz) who hasn't had a boring fight in years.

You got one guy (GSP) who hasn't has an exciting fight in years.

This makes for a good fight!

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 01:45:28 PM »
Marquardt/Rumble will (should) be a slugfest. 

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 04:19:17 PM »
I hope this fight happens, but Diaz has no chance in hell of wining.  Wrestlers are his kryptonite.  It's why lost so many UFC fights. 
w

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 03:56:15 AM »
Marquardt/Rumble will (should) be a slugfest. 

They said that about Rumble & Hardy, but Rumble unfortunately doubted himself in the stand up.

Cliff Clavin

• Getbig II
  • It's a little known fact
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 04:39:25 AM »
It's why lost so many UFC fights. 

or maybe it was because he was 20 years old and not 1 tenths the fighter he is today...

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
or maybe it was because he was 20 years old and not 1 tenths the fighter he is today...

Really?  He lost against other guys his age like Diego Sanchez.  Do you really think his wrestling has improved enough to stuff the GSP take down?  This would be a boring fight.  25 minutes of GSP laying on Diaz.
w

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 09:56:49 AM »
Really?  He lost against other guys his age like Diego Sanchez.  Do you really think his wrestling has improved enough to stuff the GSP take down?  This would be a boring fight.  25 minutes of GSP laying on Diaz.

The thing with Diaz is, GSP would not have one glaring weakness in Diaz to expose. Diaz has good stand-up and good ground skills.

But GSP's solution could be LnP for 25 minutes.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 11:57:33 AM »

The thing with Diaz is, GSP would not have one glaring weakness in Diaz to expose. Diaz has good stand-up and good ground skills.

But GSP's solution could be LnP for 25 minutes.

Diaz does have a major glaring weakness...his wrestling!  This fight would have a lot of great hype going into it, but would be 25 minutes of GSP laying on Diaz. 
w

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 12:10:07 PM »
Diaz does have a major glaring weakness...his wrestling!  This fight would have a lot of great hype going into it, but would be 25 minutes of GSP laying on Diaz.  

Do you think GSP would keep it standing or will he think it's safer to take it to the ground, seeing that Diaz is strong in JJ and could possibly submit GSP?

This is what makes me like this match-up.  There is no real 'safe' area for GSP.  Diaz can be dangerous in all aspects.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 12:15:59 PM »
Do you think GSP would keep it standing or will he think it's safer to take it to the ground, seeing that Diaz is strong in JJ and could possibly submit GSP?

This is what makes me like this match-up.  There is no real 'safe' area for GSP.  Diaz can be dangerous in all aspects.

He would probably put a game plan together that worked.  Look at the last BJ fight.  He took him to the ground with no fear of getting submitted (BJ has better BJJ than Diaz).  After he tired him out, he picked him apart on his feet.  Who knows what kind of game plan he would have.  I'm sure it will involve exposing Nick's poor wrestling...
w

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 12:26:41 PM »
He would probably put a game plan together that worked.  Look at the last BJ fight.  He took him to the ground with no fear of getting submitted (BJ has better BJJ than Diaz).  After he tired him out, he picked him apart on his feet.  Who knows what kind of game plan he would have.  I'm sure it will involve exposing Nick's poor wrestling...

Diaz is taller and has better cardio than BJ, so that changes things a bit. His chin is solid as well.

Overall, I see this match-up as being needed for bothe fighters and has many possibilities of being an exciting fight.

There are risks for each fighter, no matter where it ends up.  Both of these guys have been fighting nearly one dimensional opponents recently.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 02:41:18 PM »
Diaz is taller and has better cardio than BJ, so that changes things a bit. His chin is solid as well.

Overall, I see this match-up as being needed for bothe fighters and has many possibilities of being an exciting fight.

There are risks for each fighter, no matter where it ends up.  Both of these guys have been fighting nearly one dimensional opponents recently.

Nick has been fighting a bunch of StrikeForce cans.  You know that as well as anyone.  GSP has dominated and/pr finished every top 170lb foighter...some twice.  I don't think Nick would get past Kos or Fitch, let alone GSP.  They should make him fight a few times in the UFC before getting a title shot.  Same thing they've done with Condit...
w

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 03:12:36 PM »
Nick has been fighting a bunch of StrikeForce cans.  You know that as well as anyone.  GSP has dominated and/pr finished every top 170lb foighter...some twice.  I don't think Nick would get past Kos or Fitch, let alone GSP.  They should make him fight a few times in the UFC before getting a title shot.  Same thing they've done with Condit...

Normally I would say he should earn his title shot with a couple wins in the UFC, but due to the lack of viable contenders that GSP hasn't beaten, a GSP vs Diaz fight makes sense right now. Just for the entertainment value alone.

It's a win/win situation for the fans.  Either GSP get's beat, and we have an exciting, reckless champ, or Diaz gets destroyed and quits MMA for good.  I'm pretty tired of the ghetto shit from Diaz to be honest. Who doesn't like to see a punk get his ass whooped?

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 05:00:31 PM »
Normally I would say he should earn his title shot with a couple wins in the UFC, but due to the lack of viable contenders that GSP hasn't beaten, a GSP vs Diaz fight makes sense right now. Just for the entertainment value alone.

It's a win/win situation for the fans.  Either GSP get's beat, and we have an exciting, reckless champ, or Diaz gets destroyed and quits MMA for good.  I'm pretty tired of the ghetto shit from Diaz to be honest. Who doesn't like to see a punk get his ass whooped?

I agree.  I guess we're back to being a gimmick...
w

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 01:21:39 AM »
I like the idea of this fight, but realistically i dont see Diaz being able to pull it off ( win ).Id like to see him beat GSP personally but i dont think he has the tools.GSP is too smart.He wont stand n box with Nick.I dont think theres any area where Nick is better than GSP either.Even boxing or JJ theyre not miles apart, and although GSP looked shit against Shields he always gets the job done

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 07:49:26 AM »
I like the idea of this fight, but realistically i dont see Diaz being able to pull it off ( win ).Id like to see him beat GSP personally but i dont think he has the tools.GSP is too smart.He wont stand n box with Nick.I dont think theres any area where Nick is better than GSP either.Even boxing or JJ theyre not miles apart, and although GSP looked shit against Shields he always gets the job done

I agree, I don't think Diaz has what it takes to beat GSP, but I think he's the next best match-up that GSP has not already beaten.

I would be happy with whomever wins this fight.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 08:25:21 AM »
I think Marquardt would push the fight with him. 

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 08:51:14 AM »
I think Marquardt would push the fight with him. 

from what I hear, GSP toys with him during sparring...
w

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 10:16:16 AM »
from what I hear, GSP toys with him during sparring...

Really?  That's interesting.  If true, why would Nate move to 170 only to know that he'd get schooled in a championship fight?  Then again, who knows whether they'd fight each other or not.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 10:37:36 AM »
Really?  That's interesting.  If true, why would Nate move to 170 only to know that he'd get schooled in a championship fight?  Then again, who knows whether they'd fight each other or not.

I think Nate believes that by the time he got a title shot, GSP would have vacated the title.
w

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 01:39:57 PM »
Nate would make GSP struggle to get his usual UD

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 01:55:38 PM »

I think Nate needs to have a fight at 170 before we can start speculating.  Nate is another 'safe" fighter, and my bet is a fight with GSP would be one of the worst selling PPV title fights in UFC history.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 01:57:24 PM »

25 minutes of Nate laying on his back...guaranteed.
w