Author Topic: Steel Divas - reality show 05-03 with Felicia Romero  (Read 5254 times)

TK

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Steel Divas - reality show 05-03 with Felicia Romero
« on: May 03, 2011, 11:37:02 PM »
It's housewives meet pumping iron," says Roxanna Wood of the new show "Steel Divas" premiering on the Lifetime network at 11 p.m. Tuesday, May 3. The reality-style show follows various national physique contestants as they prepare for competition. Wood, a "fitness bikini" competitor, has a bit part in the opening show, but an expanded role in subsequent episodes.

Wood, who now lives in Gilbert, Ariz., grew up in Williamsburg and graduated from Lafayette High School. She returns to Williamsburg every other month to work and visit family. Unable to find a gym in the area that fit her requirements, she opened her own, Max Fit24, last June. "There wasn't a gym that caters to what I do. I've hand-picked all the equipment that works best, that's exactly what you need. I wanted to put my little flair on it," says the 36-year-old married mother of two children, ages 15 and 10.

Wood wasn't always fit and she wasn't always thin. She took up body competitions just three years ago. There are three styles, she explains: bodybuilding, figure and fitness bikini. The latter is her specialty. "It's not as lean a look as figure. It's more curvy. You get to eat a little more carbs. Figure is more muscular."

Wood answered a casting call in Arizona in October and was called back the next day. "The reason they picked me was my level of fitness, being a mom and owning a business. The show is not just about fitness. It's about mind, body and soul. It's about balance in life," she says. The crew started filming in November, recording Wood competing as well as at home. "They show my everyday life, being a mum, cooking healthy food, going to the gym. They want to emphasize my independence. It's about women bringing their "A" game, the total package."

It's about time management too, says Wood. She hopes to inspire other women by showing that there's time to fit in fitness with other daily activities. "I'll be giving 'Max Fit minute' tips, showing how a minute of time can make an impact and change your life or a routine," she says.

Audience response will determine how many episodes follow and what time they'll air.

TK

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Re: Steel Divas - reality show debuts May 3rd
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 11:40:24 PM »
Felicia Romero is on it, and she is competing at some contests

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 12:04:21 AM »
Felicia Romero is on it, and she is competing at some contests

The contest she competed on and was featured on Steel Divas was the 2010 IFBB Border States at the Scottish Rite Auditorium in San Diego last October 30th.  Felicia came in second to Teresa Anthony. And Ava Cowan qualified for the Olympia here!

http://www.getbig.com/results/figure/ifbb/borderstatesfigure.htm

w8m8

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 05:31:05 AM »
She's hot !!

I don't like the ribs showing so much .. I like smooth lines

newmom

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 05:38:40 AM »
I actually happend to be up and saw the show. Next thing I knew, I see Ron A on tv taking a group photo. I thought it was a great show.

newmom

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 05:39:16 AM »
She's hot !!

I don't like the ribs showing so much .. I like smooth lines

ah darn, I got not shot..FML ;)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 07:21:25 AM »
I actually happend to be up and saw the show. Next thing I knew, I see Ron A on tv taking a group photo. I thought it was a great show.

That was interesting, but they portrayed the IFBB and Jon Lindsay's contest in a good light, which I was happy about.  Felicia Romero and her partner at AZ Fitness Pros portrayed it nicely. Definately the episode was more melodramatic, but you need to for a television show. 

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Steel Divas - reality show 05-03 with Felicia Romero
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 09:14:50 AM »

From the examiner

http://www.examiner.com/body-building-in-national/steel-diva-s-airs-on-lifetime-featuring-felicia-romero-roxanna-wood

Steel Divas has set off fireworks for the bodybuilding, fitness, figure and bikini community. The Lifetime network aired its first segment of the reality-style show at 11 p.m. Tuesday, May 3. The series includes national and professional level figure and bikini competitors, but features gym owner’s Roxanna Wood and IFBB Pro Felicia Romero, both of whom live in Arizona.

Wood says that she was not always fit, but has been competing in the bikini division for the past three years.  She even opened her own gym called Max Fit24 to accommodate her needs for training.  According to Wood, "They show my everyday life, being a mum, cooking healthy food, going to the gym. They want to emphasize my independence. It's about women bringing their "A" game, the total package."  Wood hopes this will allow others to see fitness as an attainable goal.

Romero, on the other hand, has been in the industry for a longer period of time and is an owner of J&F Personal Training in Mesa, Az. Romero’s recent competition endeavor included the 2011 IFBB Arnold Classic, Ms. International, Fitness International & Figure International, where she won fourth place.

For the community, this is a new source that will reach the mainstream audience like no other. Although promoters for the Olympia, Arnold Classic and the Phoenix Pro show have made competitions available via live streaming, that doesn’t mean the population has been watching.

The history of the Lifetime network has been known for its commitment of “offering the highest quality entertainment and information programming content that celebrates, entertains and supports women,” and hopefully this creates more interest in the sport.  According the Lifetime site, the show is about the combination of high drama between “body building divas” that are struggling for top spots in the competitive world.

TK

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Re: Steel Divas - reality show 05-03 with Felicia Romero
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 05:34:54 PM »
Damian Segovia posted this on Siouxcountry

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xijya2_steel-divas-of-arizona_news

Alright guys and gals I will be the first to post about the show. I'm not really sure what I can and can't say due to our contract... so sorry if I'm somewhat vague.

Filming this show was an "interesting" process. It was long,stressful and at times very uncomfortable. Not saying it didnt have its fun times just saying it put a lot of stress on all of us. Felicia,Whitney and myself run a very busy personal training studio so trying to balance home life, the business, the girls competing and following a filming schedule was hard. As you can see it took a toll on all of us involved. Please just remember that it's "reality" tv so please dont take anything to serious

I would like to get some facts straight about what was showed.

1. First off....do I train Felicia? Yes. But am I her trainer? NO! She is Kim Oddo's athlete and HE is her trainer. I am just a person part of her team that helps her push through her workouts and make sure she stays on track. Kim has been her trainer for 7 years and that has not changed. Kim has been nothing but respectful towards me throughout our relationship and I owe him the same respect by setting the record straight.

2. Felicia and I have seperated and there were some tough times. We have made it through those rough patches and have formed a new friendship that we lacked in our relationship. We are actually an even better team than we were during our relationship. We have a mutual respect for one another and want the best for our clients, athletes and co workers.

3. Obviously, from the TV show you can see that I am very passionate about my job as a trainer. I want the best for our athletes and try to push them to be better versions of themselves. Yes... I am sometimes hard on them, but I have to be. That is what they hired me for. I am not there to hold their hand but i am there to educate, push and train them to be THEIR best.

4. Lastly, to give you an update on Whitney...yes she switched to Fitness. This move was based on the fact that her physique is very muscular and vascular and she had a dance/gymnastic background...so figure just wasnt in the cards for her. I am sure some of you might wonder??? Well, what about her heart condition?? Well, there was never a heart issue to begin with...after months of having her heart monitored and going thru multiple testing it turns out her heart is fine. Pretty much the docs don't really know for sure what causes her heart rate to go up/down throughout certain periods of the year. They have now figured out that her brain has a hard time regulating her heart rate for unknown reasons. So she has been cleared by all her doctors and it's a 100% ok for her to compete. I would never risk the health of one of my athletes nor my biz partner/friend.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this post!