Author Topic: MLB talk.  (Read 56976 times)

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
Re: MLB talk.
« Reply #200 on: December 20, 2011, 08:45:58 AM »
Braun's excuse for testing positive - it was his herpes medication. Lololol.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #201 on: December 20, 2011, 09:03:25 AM »
Wait, the rangers won the bid ($51m) to negotiate with darvish?

Weren't they near bankrupt a couple seasons ago? Where is this money coming from.  :-X

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #202 on: January 10, 2012, 07:14:26 AM »
Barry Larkin got elected to the HOF.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #203 on: January 10, 2012, 09:47:12 AM »

http://www.freep.com/article/20120110/SPORTS02/201100468/Path-to-Hall-of-Fame-via-Ann-Arbor?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE%7Cs

“Bo always told me he would strike me out, anyway. That was Bo’s way of saying, ‘Congratulations kid, you did it,’” Larkin remembered. “He would always tell me: ‘You’ll be back. You’ll miss football. Nobody comes to the University of Michigan to play baseball,’ is what he used to say.”  8)
D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #204 on: January 13, 2012, 06:15:33 PM »
For the two guys who talk baseball here, the Yankees just made themselves better this year.
Y

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #205 on: January 13, 2012, 06:31:30 PM »
For the two guys who talk baseball here, the Yankees just made themselves better this year.
sorry lil late ,,they sure did...

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #206 on: January 13, 2012, 06:34:24 PM »
sorry lil late ,,they sure did...

Losing Montero stings, but Pineda sat at 94.7 mph last year, fourth best in all of baseball, and held RH hitters to something like a .185 avg.

And they signed Kuroda to a one year deal.

Now they need a DH since Montero's gone.   They might not be done.
Y

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #207 on: January 13, 2012, 06:41:41 PM »
Losing Montero stings, but Pineda sat at 94.7 mph last year, fourth best in all of baseball, and held RH hitters to something like a .185 avg.

andru jones resigned i like him and he's ready to hit like rueben sierra was called upon.pitching is what wins,,they hit the crap out of the ball 162 games a yr,,its the last 10 or so games playoff and w.s when the hitters shut down there pitching couln't hold up or keep leads.3-2 games tight pitching is what wins those games not 12-0 there rare even tho there were some big blowout games in playoffs this yr in texas .

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #208 on: January 13, 2012, 07:47:32 PM »

Pineda, as in michael pineda from the mariners?

Its a bombshell for sure. But...no king felix?

I wouldn't have dealt montero to seattle unless they gave up king felix.

Damn.  :'(

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #209 on: January 14, 2012, 06:28:36 AM »
ryan madson a red.
F

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #210 on: January 14, 2012, 03:25:23 PM »
Pineda, as in michael pineda from the mariners?

Its a bombshell for sure. But...no king felix?

I wouldn't have dealt montero to seattle unless they gave up king felix.

Damn.  :'(

There's no way to acquire a player of Pineda's potential without giving up someone like Montero.   I guess the Yankees didn't view him a real MLB catcher, so his value to them dropped.

Pineda immediately is a legit #2 behind Sabathia, and Campos is a jewel, and is immediately in the Yanks' top 5 MLB prospects.   King Felix was never available, and would have cost Montero/Banuelos/Betances +
Y

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #211 on: January 14, 2012, 03:38:29 PM »
There's no way to acquire a player of Pineda's potential without giving up someone like Montero.   I guess the Yankees didn't view him a real MLB catcher, so his value to them dropped.

Pineda immediately is a legit #2 behind Sabathia, and Campos is a jewel, and is immediately in the Yanks' top 5 MLB prospects.   King Felix was never available, and would have cost Montero/Banuelos/Betances +

At this point is his career pineda is a fly ball pitcher. Not exactly conducive to yankee stadium.

He is a nice young arm don't get me wrong, and even though both teams filled weaknesses I feel that seattle got the better of this deal.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #212 on: January 14, 2012, 07:12:22 PM »
At this point is his career pineda is a fly ball pitcher. Not exactly conducive to yankee stadium.

He is a nice young arm don't get me wrong, and even though both teams filled weaknesses I feel that seattle got the better of this deal.

I can't get too hung up on the fly ball ratios when you consider the other stats

Among qualified AL starting pitchers last year, only Brandon Morrow and Justin Verlander posted a higher strikeout rate than Pineda, who whiffed 24.9% of the batters he faced. His K% was better than David Price, CC Sabathia, and yes, even Felix. Pineda’s live fastball and willingness to live up in the strike zone led to a lot of swinging strikes, and that had nothing to do with the park he played in.

Lots of young pitchers can throw hard and rack up strikeouts, however. What sets Pineda apart is his impeccable command at such a young age. 66 percent of the pitches he threw last year were strikes, and his 7.9% BB% was below the league average. It is highly uncommon to see a kid with that kind of live arm arrive in the Major Leagues pounding the zone, but that’s exactly what Pineda did. 94-97 MPH fastballs to get ahead, and then an out-pitch slider or a fastball out of the zone with two strikes to get the K. It was a recipe for success, and Pineda used his command of those two pitches to establish himself as one of the game’s best young starting pitchers

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/yankees-land-michael-pineda-dont-pay-retail/

This is one of many articles and quote I read where the consenus is that the Yankees got a steal.  Seen it in a lot of places.  I will admit I was bummed about Montero, since I've followed him for a few years now, but the Yanks rotation really was suspect.   Now,  I can wait to see what they do with the glut of pitching they have.
Y

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #213 on: January 14, 2012, 07:43:41 PM »
I can't get too hung up on the fly ball ratios when you consider the other stats

You should get a little hung up. Those fly balls in safeco are hr's in yankee stadium.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/yankees-land-michael-pineda-dont-pay-retail/

This is one of many articles and quote I read where the consenus is that the Yankees got a steal.  Seen it in a lot of places.  I will admit I was bummed about Montero, since I've followed him for a few years now, but the Yanks rotation really was suspect.   Now,  I can wait to see what they do with the glut of pitching they have.

That article from fangraphs reads like a yanks fan who is a prisoner of the moment.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #214 on: January 14, 2012, 09:24:36 PM »
You should get a little hung up. Those fly balls in safeco are hr's in yankee stadium.

That article from fangraphs reads like a yanks fan who is a prisoner of the moment.

Can you find a link that proves how many of the FB Pineda gave up at Safeco would have been HRs at YS?  Someone will no doubt actually do this.

You can handle the FB ratios by the fact that he neutralizes RH hitting and has sick K rates.

Am I doing cartwheels over this trade?   No.  Do I see great upside and potential?  Yes.
Y

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #215 on: January 15, 2012, 05:21:45 PM »
Can you find a link that proves how many of the FB Pineda gave up at Safeco would have been HRs at YS?  Someone will no doubt actually do this.

You can handle the FB ratios by the fact that he neutralizes RH hitting and has sick K rates.

Am I doing cartwheels over this trade?   No.  Do I see great upside and potential?  Yes.

I feel the same way.

But I think about who we'll be fighting all year and all those lefty bats. The sox are going to tee off on pineda.  :-X

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #216 on: January 15, 2012, 05:44:30 PM »
I feel the same way.

But I think about who we'll be fighting all year and all those lefty bats. The sox are going to tee off on pineda.  :-X

The sox aren't even on my radar right now.

I heard an interesting perspective from a friend of mine who does scouting for one of the Yankee blogs.  He said if Pineda were a Yankee prospect, and had the rookie year he just had, then we traded him for Jesus Montero, we'd all be going ape shit over it.

There's an impact bat on the market every year - heck, there's a monster one out there for the taking right now.  It's much easier to acquire that than it is for a legit #2 with #1 upside who is 22 and under control.   The Mariners only made this deal because they have some great arms in the minors.
Y

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #217 on: January 15, 2012, 05:50:21 PM »
The m's are stacked with young pitching. Thats why I felt that they got the better part of this deal.

We have a lot of aging bats on the team and Hank is taking the route to develop talent versus buying it. He's made it clear they're not going to spend like they used to.

Only time can tell how this deal will favor both teams.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #218 on: January 15, 2012, 06:02:51 PM »
The m's are stacked with young pitching. Thats why I felt that they got the better part of this deal.

We have a lot of aging bats on the team and Hank is taking the route to develop talent versus buying it. He's made it clear they're not going to spend like they used to.

Only time can tell how this deal will favor both teams.

They're not spending like they used to, but if they have a need and there's elite talent available, they'll spend.   They will have to anyway - we don't have a hitter nearly like that in the system, but Gary Sanchez in the minors might be the reason they were willing to part with Montero.
Y

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #219 on: January 15, 2012, 06:06:41 PM »
They're not spending like they used to, but if they have a need and there's elite talent available, they'll spend.   They will have to anyway - we don't have a hitter nearly like that in the system, but Gary Sanchez in the minors might be the reason they were willing to part with Montero.

Farewell, Jorge.  :'(

At least he retired a yank.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #220 on: January 15, 2012, 06:13:33 PM »
Farewell, Jorge.  :'(

At least he retired a yank.

Yeah.  It's weird seeing players retire who you followed their entire career.   Core 2 now.

Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #221 on: January 15, 2012, 06:20:37 PM »
I know where you stand on the trade, but I didn't know this stuff below.  Pretty amazing:

I think the people who are questioning the deal are not fully understanding what Pineda did last year. The gap between Pineda and Montero in terms of success at the big league level is so wide that it is just flat-out incorrect to say that he has "a little more success" as a Major Leaguer than Montero at this point.

Here are some rankings that I got Baseball Reference:

Of all rookie RHP in the AL in the DH era (1973-current) 22 or younger who started at least 25 games, Pineda's 2011 season was:

1st in BAA
1st in H/9
1st in K/BB ratio
2nd in total strikeouts (Bobby Witt 1st)
2nd in K/9 (Witt)
2nd in WHIP (Mark Fidrych 1st)
2nd in SLG against (Fidrych)
2nd in OBP against (Fidrych)

Expanding to all rookie RHP 22 years old and younger in American League history (The AL was founded in 1901) who started at least 25 games, Pineda's year ranked:

1st in K/BB rate
2nd in total strikeouts
2nd in K/9
2nd in WHIP
3rd in H/9

If you broaden the scope even further and compare his 2011 season to all rookie RHP 22 or younger, who started at least 25 games in any league since the AL was formed in 1901, Pineda's freshman campaign ranks:

4th in K/BB rate (Behind only Don Sutton, Dwight Gooden, and Gary Nolan)
8th in total strikeouts
5th in in K/9 (Behind only Kerry Wood, Gooden, Witt, and Tom Griffin)
5th in WHIP (Behind only Fidrych, Gooden, Sutton, and a guy from the Deadball Era)
8th in H/9

Pineda's 2011 wasn't just "good", "solid", or "successful", it was very clearly "historic".

Just for clarity's sake, I'm once again not arguing against the idea that he's not a risk due to injury, but instead that his accomplishments in the Majors somehow don't out distance Montero's by a margin that is so big it's not even remotely close.
Y

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #222 on: January 15, 2012, 06:33:42 PM »
Most 22 year old pitchers worth a damn are not in the big league at that age, wouldn't you agree?

Pineda's got a ton of starts so early in his career. He's obviously talented. Combined with the trust(or necessity) the m's put in him I can't say I'm surprised at those records. Having a great defense behind him couldn't have hurt either.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #223 on: January 15, 2012, 07:55:29 PM »
You make vaild points, but as for the defense points, he did post a .342 FIP, which is top 30.

The guy can flat out pitch.  We'll see how it goes.
Y

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #224 on: January 18, 2012, 07:38:37 PM »
Interesting new luxury tax rule in the 2011 Collective bargaining agreement that I wasn't aware of.

• The current $178 million thresholds for the "luxury tax" on payrolls will remain unchanged in 2012 and 2013 but will increase to $189 million for 2014, 2015, and 2016. The tax rate will decrease to 17.5 percent for teams that exceed the threshold for the first time, and increase to 50 percent for clubs that exceed it for the fourth time or more. Rates will remain the same for clubs that exceed the threshold for the second time (30 percent) and third time (40 percent).

Wow