Author Topic: Aging and the lower back....  (Read 2572 times)

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
Aging and the lower back....
« on: May 10, 2011, 04:00:06 AM »
I'm most interested in hearing from people 35 or over, as that is how old I am now.

Should men just expect lower back problems as they grow older, especially if they are lifting weights? Do you think people can do anything to stop or lessen the problem?

I run a lot (6-7 days per week, a few miles a day) and my back gets pretty tight by the time I'm done. I don't notice it as much in the gym (3-4 days a week), but that doesn't seem as intense on my back as the run. I do squats once a week and I would imagine that is the most stress I put on my lower back - even if done correctly, any weight squatted will have be held up by the abs/lower back.

I was wondering if you guys had any tips for the lower back. I stretch it the best I can, below is the stretch I usually use. It helps some.

Is there any other stretch or strengthening exercise that any knows of?
G

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Aging and the lower back....
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:16:03 AM »
Stretch your hamstrings, too.
Tight hammies can “pull” on the lower back region.
Also - and you probably already know this - strengthening your abdomen muscles often helps counter lower back problems.
As far as specific stretches & other relief measures, there are a number of different causes of back pain that manifest in the same symptoms.

Running is a big cause of piriformis syndrome, which can present as low back pain, among other things.
Here is a brief description: http://stemcelldoc.wordpress.com/2011/03/26/piriformis-syndrome-ultrasound-therapy-is-superior/
Here are some treatments: http://www.my-physical-therapy-coach.com/Piriformis-Syndrome.html &
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/piriformis.htm

Psoas complications are, IMO, more common.
They can also present lower back pain, and much from the same causes.
Here is some information, including stretches you can do for psoas relief:
http://www.somatics.com/psoas.htm
http://www.squidoo.com/psoas

You can also google more on the above topics or for just general lower back stretching techniques.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 11:44:48 AM »
Montague is right.  STRETCH THE HAMS. 

When you bend over to pick something up, or whatever the case may be, somethings gotta pull.  If you have loose hammies, the pull will be there, in that region. 

If your hams are tight, the pull will shift to the lower back. 

trust me, stretch hams everyday if you work them out religiously.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 12:58:27 PM »
Good stuff Montague,I`ll be reading this tonight................. .my back is fucked.

Thanks!  :)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 03:52:33 PM »
Good stuff Montague,I`ll be reading this tonight................. .my back is fucked.

Thanks!  :)

You bet!

One other thing is to consider seeing a good chiropractor if you haven’t.
Once again, there are numerous causes of low back discomfort and if your spine is at all misaligned, you may never feel optimal relief.

Many people suffer sacro-iliac problems and believe the symptoms to be the result of “back” pain because that’s the vicinity of the pain.
You can often identify this problem by determining if the pain favors one particular side and is down low around the pant line.
A pelvic rotation like that is easily corrected with a simple lumbar adjustment.
Unfortunately, some people have a difficult time staying in place.
That’s where strengthening and loosening the tissue & tendons around the SI joint can help.

Bottom line is there are many root causes of back discomfort.
Stretching helps on numerous levels.

So, stretch your asses!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 04:32:22 PM »
Lower right hand side for me.....hurt it years ago doing heavy hack squats.

Been off and on in intensity of pain for years no.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 05:12:36 PM »

Hmm...
That's interesting.

3 questions:
   1.) Is it a very sharp, localized pain that you could almost pinpoint with your finger?
   2.) Do you ever "feel" a bit uneven when you stand - like maybe your right leg is a little shorter than the left?
   3.) Have you ever seen a chiropractor about it?

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 05:17:07 PM »
i real good exercise for strentghing the lower back is pullthrus on a cble machine,you can add weight as you get stronger.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 05:58:04 AM »

Sounds like herniated disc.  Does the pain lessen, but is always there if you try to activate it? 

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 04:02:30 PM »
also reverse hypers are real good,and they will make your squat and deadlift go up.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 08:48:32 PM »

:

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 05:34:08 PM »
I'm most interested in hearing from people 35 or over, as that is how old I am now.

Should men just expect lower back problems as they grow older, especially if they are lifting weights? Do you think people can do anything to stop or lessen the problem?

I run a lot (6-7 days per week, a few miles a day) and my back gets pretty tight by the time I'm done. I don't notice it as much in the gym (3-4 days a week), but that doesn't seem as intense on my back as the run. I do squats once a week and I would imagine that is the most stress I put on my lower back - even if done correctly, any weight squatted will have be held up by the abs/lower back.

I was wondering if you guys had any tips for the lower back. I stretch it the best I can, below is the stretch I usually use. It helps some.

Is there any other stretch or strengthening exercise that any knows of?

Deadlifts, stronger deadlifts = stronger lower back = no back issues squatting.

Like others have suggested, stretching and a trip to a chiropractor wouldn't hurt.

As far as lessening the problem it sounds like the issue is the impact from your running more than anything, maybe get some better shoes?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 05:37:09 PM »
My back rarely hurts after 35 plus years of lifting and running. I will be 52 in a month. Maybe it's genetic good luck but in my early twenties my lower back always went out on me. Two things that help my lower back is slow low rep semi stiff legged deadlifts off a stable platform.  A couple of sets of 6 reps does the trick. I try to get a really good stretch. It stretches  the bicep femoris (ham strings) and makes them strong. I follow that up with weighted back extensions.  Back in the day they called it a hyper extension bench. I like the old fashion horizontal one to the new 45 degree ones. I hold a plate behind my head.  I rarely need over 35 pound plate.  If you can use more than a 45lbs use a barbell. Semi stiff leg deads gets the stretch position and back extensions gets the contracted position.  Just make sure you don't jerk the exercises. Smooth movements with little momentum.

I'm going to contradict the other posts that say running contributes to back pain.  When I don't run my back can act up. Running seems to build stabilizer muscles that hold the spine during the impact of running. I have heard from so many guys starting running programs that their backs hurt. I believe that they haven't developed the muscles needed to stablize their backs during this activity.  Once they get into the running program their back pain goes away.

Also train the abs. I just got an ab wheel about a month ago or so. I never thought that the ab wheel was any good but the cheap price got me.  Let me tell you I have never felt sorer abs the day after than that. I do crunches, pulley crunches, sit ups, hanging leg raises, knee up and others. The ab wheel  made my abs painfully sore unlike the previously mentioned exercises. Maybe it will work for you. You can pick one up for $10 bucks. Start on your knees and extend. If you can get to standing and extension you are better than me.  I'm not there yet.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 02:48:47 AM »

Hmm...
That's interesting.

3 questions:
   1.) Is it a very sharp, localized pain that you could almost pinpoint with your finger?
   2.) Do you ever "feel" a bit uneven when you stand - like maybe your right leg is a little shorter than the left?
   3.) Have you ever seen a chiropractor about it?
Yes to numbers 1+2.........haven`t seen a chiro in years now.

Sorry `bout the late reply.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 02:50:08 AM »
Sounds like herniated disc.  Does the pain lessen, but is always there if you try to activate it? 
Bingo!!!!

I`ve been doing glute/ham raise machine and oddly enough deadlifts which ,odddly enough once again,seem to be helping a bit.