Author Topic: Your opinion on tricep rope pushdowns?  (Read 8931 times)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
Your opinion on tricep rope pushdowns?
« on: May 11, 2011, 01:33:47 AM »
I think its a useless exercise...

Who does it?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
Re: Your opinion on tricep rope pushdowns?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 02:02:16 AM »
Moi ;D Just kidding ma man ;) The absolute best tricep exercise is probably parellel bar dips

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 02:14:13 AM »
I use the rope maybe to warmp up my elbows...not needed but its good to do it.

Dips are awesome..

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 05:46:53 AM »
I sometimes/rarely use them as my last exercise for tri’s just for something different, but they’re never my first choice.
If done with the right way, I can feel them in the lateral head, although that’s after my other triceps work.
Regardless, I don’t consider any movement I can feel to be completely useless.

However, I began getting better results after switching to overhead extenstions and dips as my primary triceps movements.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 08:24:01 AM »
Might try doing tri ropes with one hand. Alternating after each set without a pause between sets.

Dips are exceptional, but keep the body in a straight up and down line (might have to have a training partner hold the ankles/legs to keep the body at 180 degrees..or keep a box/bench under you to help hold the legs in that 180 position) . And do not have the elbows flair out at any time. Than this can almost be a pure tricep movement, which you will not need to add any extra weight to right away. Good Luck.
F

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 08:48:57 AM »
i like ropes for a change, with moderate weight you can get a good squeeze... wont touch real pushdowns

dips are ok, for me the best tricep mass builder will always be seated ez over head extension, if only my elbows could take it, hits the long head like nothing else

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 09:03:32 AM »
i like ropes for a change, with moderate weight you can get a good squeeze... wont touch real pushdowns

dips are ok, for me the best tricep mass builder will always be seated ez over head extension, if only my elbows could take it, hits the long head like nothing else

How about overhead tricep extensions with a dumbbell?

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 09:18:40 AM »
i personally dont like them, for me there a clumsy movement

i find ive got  much better form with the ez bar, realy slow stretch with a heavy weight and a perfect contraction at the top, pure triceps and mostly long head

my tricpes used to hang off the back of my arm after a few heavy sets of these

but as i said, elbow wreckers.....

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 09:59:19 AM »

I do these "Gustavos way"... 8)

from 1:11

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 10:17:42 AM »

Who does it?
number 1 do these if they good enuff for larry...well i'm just saying...
F

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 11:59:12 AM »

yep, i cant duplicate that stretch and contraction with any other exersize.....

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 06:37:08 PM »
I use the rope to warm up my elbows to when they are acting up.

I dont really consider standing tricep ext. with a rope a great mass builder, i do get a good pump from them though. Ill do overhead tricep ext with a rope but towards the end of my work outs.

Dips and overhead tricep ext with a DB but these kill my elbows, I did ez bar ext like gustavo but even those seem to hurt my elbows...

I used to work out at a gym that had a cable machine like that, the only one ive ever seen I loved that damn machine.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 06:44:21 PM »
I do them often, when done right they feel great, I can feel them in my whole tricep. Most people just use too much weight and swing their elbows forward/up and don't contract their triceps or spread their hands at the bottom.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 06:50:39 PM »
I use the rope to warm up my elbows to when they are acting up.

I dont really consider standing tricep ext. with a rope a great mass builder, i do get a good pump from them though. Ill do overhead tricep ext with a rope but towards the end of my work outs.

Dips and overhead tricep ext with a DB but these kill my elbows, I did ez bar ext like gustavo but even those seem to hurt my elbows...

I used to work out at a gym that had a cable machine like that, the only one ive ever seen I loved that damn machine.

One thing you may wish to try is slowing the descent.
Controlling and coming down easier on the negative can eliminate some of the elbow tendon trauma that repeated "bouncing" often produces.

I had rather bad inflammation of the inner elbow tendons several years back.
It took over a year for them to heal.
Now, I am back to doing all of my favorite triceps movements, but with much better form, I've not had any problems since; I've even made decent progress.

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 09:45:10 PM »

he could have gotten 1 or 2 more forced reps  :-X

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 02:41:40 AM »
I do close grip Bench press or Parallel bar dips..I like incline bench ex but i like to use a straight bar. Rope pushdowns i never do because they are over rated in my opinion, if anything a finishing off movement. If you have elbow problems stick to close grip benches. They also develop punching power like nothing else.. ;)

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 11:29:22 AM »

Who does it?

You can get a wicked burn doing them, esp drop sets, but they don't really give you much improvements after a month or so from doing them.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 04:43:13 PM »

One thing you may wish to try is slowing the descent.
Controlling and coming down easier on the negative can eliminate some of the elbow tendon trauma that repeated "bouncing" often produces.

I had rather bad inflammation of the inner elbow tendons several years back.
It took over a year for them to heal.
Now, I am back to doing all of my favorite triceps movements, but with much better form, I've not had any problems since; I've even made decent progress.
yea ive noticed that slowing the motion makes it a tad less painful my elbows hurt right behind elbow just below my tricep...pretty painful shit.

dips hurt my shoulders more than anything right now

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 04:14:46 AM »
More often than not they're a part of my tricep routines. Good done first as a warm up, good done last as a killer burn.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 09:54:16 PM »
More often than not they're a part of my tricep routines. Good done first as a warm up, good done last as a killer burn.

Look at 1:20

I tried it in my last workout.

Pretty good pump and contraction for a rope exersice I would say.

Still doesnt change my opinion on rope pushdowns = all show.  ;D

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 09:15:26 AM »
i feel rope pushdowns more than any other tri excersize.

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 02:25:06 PM »
I warm up with them and then since i have a bit of pain in my wrist after a good chest or tricep routine i take the rope and use it for one sided ropes extentions but yeah the classic rope pressdowns should only be used for warm-ups or possibly burnouts

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 06:52:45 PM »
I wouldn't put the one arm rope pressdowns in the same category as the "two arm pull the rope apart at the bottom" version.
I know they are both done with the rope BUT, with the one arm version you can load up the weight and only concentrate on getting from point A to point B while still getting a nice contraction. With the two arm version, the very bottom of the movement where you spread the rope apart is the portion that forces you do drop down in weight, but there is really no extra range of motion there as far as your triceps are concerned, it's just isometric tension. So in a sense, you drop the load during the most important part of the movement just so that you can get to the isometric contraction. Thats why it's a shitty size builder and pretty much useless. Does give you a great pump though.

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 03:36:45 PM »
I wouldn't put the one arm rope pressdowns in the same category as the "two arm pull the rope apart at the bottom" version.
I know they are both done with the rope BUT, with the one arm version you can load up the weight and only concentrate on getting from point A to point B while still getting a nice contraction. With the two arm version, the very bottom of the movement where you spread the rope apart is the portion that forces you do drop down in weight, but there is really no extra range of motion there as far as your triceps are concerned, it's just isometric tension. So in a sense, you drop the load during the most important part of the movement just so that you can get to the isometric contraction. Thats why it's a shitty size builder and pretty much useless. Does give you a great pump though.

Yeah..... i didnt mean to compare but it just came to mind and flowed right out lol and now that i read it,it did sound like a comparison sorry bout that.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 03:43:51 PM »
I do them often, when done right they feel great, I can feel them in my whole tricep. Most people just use too much weight and swing their elbows forward/up and don't contract their triceps or spread their hands at the bottom.
exactly.