Author Topic: Are women just as capable as men in business and politics?  (Read 33647 times)

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Re: Are women just as capable as men in business and politics?
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2011, 05:39:16 AM »
too long

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2011, 12:27:33 PM »
I say again:  Margaret Thatcher. 

But maybe you're not old enough to remember that British Prime Minister?

xxxLinda
in London England

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2011, 01:40:41 PM »
I say again:  Margaret Thatcher. 

But maybe you're not old enough to remember that British Prime Minister?

xxxLinda
in London England

Anytime I hear her name, this is the only thing I think of.   :D

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2011, 01:53:37 PM »
I can't be clicking your u-tube link, I never click links. 

Looks to me though as though it's some celeb crap or some such.  No thanks.

You've asked whether women are as capable as men?  Margaret Thatcher was the Conservative Prime Minister of Great Britain for many years.  She was not much liked at the time, but has since been somewhat vindicated as we've all grown up and learned reality.  She is now revered as one of our best politicians...

xL

Three women have just won the Nobel Peace Prize?

I don't to be honest care whether you're a male or a female, just be capable and truthfull please.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2011, 03:02:49 PM »
 :-\

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2012, 10:27:40 PM »
Wal-Mart Names Brewer Sam's Club CEO
Written By Jennifer Booton
Published January 20, 2012
FOXBusiness

Wal-Mart (WMT: 61.01, +0.40, +0.66%) on Friday named Rosalind Brewer as chief executive of its Sam’s Club warehouse chain, replacing Brian Cornell, who will leave the company at the end of this month.

Brewer, 49, will become the first woman and African American to lead one of Wal-Mart’s three business units when she takes the reins at the start of the behemoth’s next fiscal year on Feb. 1.

She most recently ran Wal-Mart’s U.S. operations, where she was responsible for more than $100 billion in annual revenue, representing nearly 1,600 stores and more than 500,000 workers.

“Roz came to us with an outstanding background in consumer packaged goods more than five years ago,” Wal-Mart CEO Mike Duke said in a statement. “During that time I have seen her develop into a talented merchant and retailer.”

Brewer, who was the first chairperson of the Wal-Mart President’s Council of Global Women Leaders, previously worked for Kimberly-Clark (KMB: 73.83, -0.33, -0.44%). She is a Lockheed Martin (LMT: 82.78, -0.93, -1.11%) director and was selected one of the Most Powerful Women in Business by Fortune magazine in both 2010 and 2011.

Cornell, 52, told Wal-Mart that he planned to leave the company so that he and his wife could move back to the Northeast to be closer to their children.

Wal-Mart promoted two other women on Friday, including Gisel Ruiz, who will become the     U.S. division’s new chief operating officer, and Karenann Terrell, who will become its chief information officer.

Rollin Ford, 49, previously the company’s chief information officer, will become chief administrative officer on Feb. 1.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2012/01/20/wal-mart-names-first-woman-ceo-to-sams-club/

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2012, 06:46:24 AM »
affirmative action at work.  With their recent troubles about discrimination, this seems like appeasement.  I smell something fishy.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2012, 10:43:42 AM »
affirmative action at work.  With their recent troubles about discrimination, this seems like appeasement.  I smell something fishy.

Don't use logic when it comes to women in the work place... Beach hates that logic shit.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2012, 12:10:14 PM »
oh yeah my bad.

go estrogen!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2012, 05:45:48 PM »
I believe some women bring a different perspective to the business and political worlds, which is sometimes a good thing and other times not. Just like with men, it all depends on the person and not so much the gender of the person.

Lately, there have been a rash of women who have caught, charged and convicted of embezzlement. Seems like it used to more likely be men that did this. Just goes to show some women can be as corrupt and dishonest as some men can be.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2012, 06:49:07 AM »
Lately, there have been a rash of women who have caught, charged and convicted of embezzlement. Seems like it used to more likely be men that did this. Just goes to show ALL women can be as corrupt and dishonest as some men can be.

fixed

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2012, 10:17:39 AM »

fixed

Guess you noticed that I rarely use absolutes when speaking about people. That's because despite what you think, there are always exceptions. So, rather than fixing my post, you broke it, IMO. But everyone to his own thinking.  :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2012, 03:10:09 AM »

China sends first woman into space
By Ng Han Guan
Associated Press

JIUQUAN, China » China launched its most ambitious space mission yet on Saturday, carrying its first female astronaut and two male colleagues in an attempt to dock with an orbiting module and work on board for more than a week.

The Shenzhou 9 capsule lifted off as scheduled at 6:37 p.m. (1037 GMT) from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center on the edge of the Gobi Desert. All systems functioned normally and, just over 10 minutes later, it opened its solar panels and entered orbit.

The launch was declared a success by space program chief Chang Wanquan, a People's Liberation Army general who sits on the ruling Communist Party's powerful central military commission — underscoring the program's close military ties.

Female astronaut Liu Yang, 33, and two male crew members — mission commander and veteran astronaut Jing Haipeng, 45, and newcomer Liu Wang, 43 — are to dock the spacecraft with a prototype space lab launched last year in a key step toward building a permanent space station. All three are experienced pilots and officers in the Chinese air force.

Two of the astronauts will live and work inside the module to test its life-support systems while the third will remain in the capsule to deal with any unexpected emergencies.

China is hoping to join the United States and Russia as the only countries to send independently maintained space stations into orbit. It is already one of just three nations to have launched manned spacecraft on their own.

Another manned mission to the module is planned later this year, while possible future missions could include sending a man to the moon.

The space program is a source of enormous national pride for China, reflecting its rapid economic and technological progress and ambition to rank among the world's leading nations. The selection of the first female astronaut is giving the program an additional publicity boost.

On a state visit in Denmark, President Hu Jintao congratulated everyone connected with the mission.

"I urge you to carry forward the spirit ... and make new contributions to advance the development of our country's manned space mission," Hu said in a statement read to technicians at Jiuquan.

The astronauts are expected to reach the module, called Tiangong 1, on Monday. Now orbiting at 343 kilometers (213 miles) above Earth, the module is only a prototype, and plans call for it to be replaced by a larger permanent space station due for completion around 2020.

That station is to weigh about 60 tons, slightly smaller than NASA's Skylab of the 1970s and about one-sixth the size of the 16-nation International Space Station.

China has only limited cooperation in space with other nations and its exclusion from the ISS, largely on objections from the United States, was one of the key spurs for it to pursue an independent space program 20 years ago.

China first launched a man into space in 2003 followed by a two-man mission in 2005 and a three-man trip in 2008 that featured the country's first space walk.

In November 2011, the unmanned Shenzhou 8 successfully docked twice with Tiangong 1 by remote control.

Shenzhou 9 is to first dock with the module by remote control, then separate and dock again manually in order to fully test the reliability of the system. The astronauts are to conduct medical tests and various other experiments before returning to Earth after more than 10 days.

Associated Press writers Christopher Bodeen and Didi Tang in Beijing contributed to this report.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/159291835.html?id=159291835

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2012, 01:24:26 PM »
I didn't read any of the replies.  I think a woman can be more heartless, and ruthless than any man when it comes to business. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2012, 02:11:22 PM »
I didn't read any of the replies.  I think a woman can be more heartless, and ruthless than any man when it comes to business. 

And if they use ur sparkle bar ???
R

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2012, 02:27:42 PM »
And if they use ur sparkle bar ???
They get a pass.  8)

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2012, 10:14:12 AM »
they probably should have sling shotted her ass into orbit.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2012, 10:27:26 AM »
Bachman would be a good president?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2012, 06:22:18 PM »

Probably.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2012, 12:07:30 PM »

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2012, 04:50:44 PM »

Of what?

Migs

• Getbig V

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2012, 09:26:41 AM »
Sally Ride, first U.S. woman in space, dies at 61
By Michael Winter, USA TODAY
Updated 13h 48m ago

CAPTIONNASA file photo via AFP/Getty Images
Sally Ride, the first American woman in space, has died of pancreatic cancer at age 61.

Update at 6:27 p.m. ET: NASA has released a statement of condolences on the death of Ride, calling her "a pioneer of a different sort."

Update at 5:49 p.m. ET: In a 2008 Q&A with Florida Today, Ride reflected on her historic ride aboard STS-7:

"It was pretty crazy. But the really good thing is that I was insulated from a lot of it. So I was aware of all the hoopla in the media. But I was much less aware than you might expect just because you know how those days and weeks before launch are. There is so much new information to cram in. People are coming at you every day with this little piece of information they forgot to tell you. And this procedure has changed just a little bit. ... The fact that I was in training and within NASA's kind of bubble made it easier for me to focus on the flight and it made it relatively easy for me to ignore what was going on at least pre-launch.

"You know all that disappeared post-launch, but pre-launch I was really able to focus a lot on the mission itself."

She also said she had developed "a more refined view of the danger of the shuttle" after the Challenger's destruction during its Jan. 28, 1986, launch because of the failure of the right solid-fuel rocket booster:

"I didn't, for example, think a lot about the solid rockets. I think that I considered the main engines the riskiest part of the shuttle, and I think that most people would share that view actually. But I think we've learned a lot about the solid rockets and I think we've learned a lot about what foam can do."

Update at 5:42 p.m. ET: In a 2006 interview with USA TODAY, Ride spoke about why girls don't pursue degrees in math and science, and what businesses should do to change that:

"I'd introduce her to the coolest female engineer in the company. Girls tend to have a stereotype of engineers being 65-year-old guys who wear lab coats and pocket protectors and look like Einstein. Try to make it personal to them and show them some of the cool things that they can do in engineering."

Update at 5:37 p.m. ET: Here's the full statement from Sally Ride Science, the San Diego company she developed to provide classroom materials, programs and professional help for K-12 teachers:

Sally Ride died peacefully July 23, 2012 after a courageous 17-month battle with pancreatic cancer. Sally lived her life to the fullest, with boundless energy, curiosity, intelligence, passion, commitment, and love. Her integrity was absolute; her spirit was immeasurable; her approach to life was fearless.

Sally was a physicist, the first American woman to fly in space, a science writer, and the President and CEO of Sally Ride Science. She had the rare ability to understand the essence of things and to inspire those around her to join her pursuits.

Sally's historic flight into space captured the nation's imagination and made her a household name. She became a symbol of the ability of women to break barriers and a hero to generations of adventurous young girls. After retiring from NASA, Sally used her high profile to champion a cause she believed in passionately—inspiring young people, especially girls, to stick with their interest in science, to become scientifically literate, and to consider pursuing careers in science and engineering.

In addition to Tam O'Shaughnessy, her partner of 27 years, Sally is survived by her mother, Joyce; her sister, Bear; her niece, Caitlin, and nephew, Whitney; her staff of 40 at Sally Ride Science; and many friends and colleagues around the country.

Update at 5:35 p.m. ET: "The nation has lost one of its finest leaders, teachers and explorers," said NASA Administrator Charles Bolden.

Update at 5:29 p.m. ET: After leaving NASA, Ride worked at the Stanford University Center for International Security and Arms Control, became a professor of physics at the University of California-San Diego and was director of the California Space Institute.

CAPTIONNASA file photo
Original post: Sally Ride, the first American woman in space, has died of cancer at age 61, her organization has announced.

On June 18, 1983, Ride was 32 when she launched aboard the space shuttle Challenger.

Ride, a physicist, helped develop the shuttle's robotic arm.

She was one of 8,000 people who responded to a newspaper advertisement seeking NASA applicants. She joined the space agency in 1978 and left in 1987.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/07/sally-ride-first-us-woman-in-space-dies-at-61/1#.UA7CtRy1Ohs

Purge_WTF

« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2012, 07:26:48 AM »

Beat me to it.

Corruption and greed can overtake anyone, no matter what's between their legs.  ;)