Author Topic: Newt Gingrich slams Paul Ryan's plan to overhaul Medicare  (Read 1320 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Source: LA Times

Presidential contender Newt Gingrich took a potshot Sunday at Republican House Budget Chairman Paul D. Ryan’s proposal to reform Medicare, becoming the most prominent Republican to distance himself from the plan.

Ryan's proposal, which was passed by the GOP-controlled House in April, would have people 54 and younger choose from a list of coverage options and have Medicare make “premium-support payments” to the plan they chose.

I don’t think right-wing social engineering is any more desirable than left-wing social engineering,” Gingrich scoffed in an interview on NBC's "Meet the Press."

House Republicans, including Speaker John A. Boehner, have stood behind Ryan's plan, which was the subject of fierce debate at town-hall meetings nationwide. Other Republican presidential contenders have praised Ryan's political courage without going so far as to endorse the budget blueprint.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Re: Newt Gingrich slams Paul Ryan's plan to overhaul Medicare
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 07:53:54 PM »
Gingrich: I oppose Paul Ryan’s Medicare reform but support a “variation” of the individual mandate

Says Andrew Stiles of NRO, “Newt Gingrich’s appearance on ‘Meet the Press’ today could leave some wondering which party’s nomination he is running for.” DrewM at Ace’s site thinks it’s yet another illustration of Newt’s loose-cannon lack of message discipline, but I can’t believe that; he surely must have considered how this will play in the primaries, especially after the pounding Romney just took on the right for his health-care speech. What’s his strategy? Maybe he’s decided his shot at the nomination is so long that his only chance is by Mediscaring seniors, who famously turn out in high numbers at the polls, into backing him. Paul Ryan’s budget has played remarkably well with the 65+ crowd thus far, but an AP poll taken late last year, before he introduced his plan, found even Republican seniors opposed privatizing Medicare to the tune of 71 percent. If professional Smart Guy Newt Gingrich is now warning them that Ryan’s gone too far, their jitters about reform may make them inclined to believe him. It’s desperate, but since he’s not going to win with support from the GOP’s right, why not pander to its left? I just hope he’s prepared for the relentless beating he’ll rightly take in conservative media for kneecapping Ryan at a moment when deficit hawks are frantic to move national opinion on entitlement reform via a unified party message. He’s handed the left a campaign commercial here and they’re already using it.

As for his point about mandates, Gregory’s question was presumably inspired by this recent HuffPo piece. Here was Newt’s chance to climb down from his previous Romney-ish rhetoric about our individual duty to buy coverage. But … nope. He’s still all for it — not for a mandate specifically, mind you, but for variations on it, like having to post a bond. What his strategy in the primaries is in taking that position, I have no idea. If anything, it gives Romney a bit of cover by now being able to claim (a) that the mandate isn’t as fringe as conservatives would like to believe and (b) that Mitt’s the more responsible of the two since at least he doesn’t want anything like this at the federal level. Any theories on what Gingrich was thinking here? I’m mystified.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 08:10:31 PM »
FUNG!!!!!

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 10:49:52 PM »
mEH, Newt isnt getting my vote. I really wish he had stayed out of the race. Those that dont have much of a chance should stay out.

For those who oppose Ryan's plan, what is thier alternative? I think its a great plan. Its about as progressive as reality will allow, and it puts paitents more in control. I guess I can undestand people attacking it from the right, but those attacking it from the left need to get thier heads out of thier asses.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 12:11:30 AM »
mEH, Newt isnt getting my vote. I really wish he had stayed out of the race. Those that dont have much of a chance should stay out.

For those who oppose Ryan's plan, what is thier alternative? I think its a great plan. Its about as progressive as reality will allow, and it puts paitents more in control. I guess I can undestand people attacking it from the right, but those attacking it from the left need to get thier heads out of thier asses.
That means all of the GOP must stay home then.  :D

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 03:28:31 AM »
That means all of the GOP must stay home then.  :D

:)

You should atleast start admitting to yourself that Obama is going to have a much tougher time with this one. The electoral map looks very good for the Republicans.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 03:37:23 AM »
A paper bag will beat obama next year. 

He has a horrible record and can't just blame bush anymore. 

He only won by six points last and is a ton less popular than before. 

With the economy still in the toilet and gas prices high, he is done.   Only strong support he will have is from blacks, govt workers, gays, guilt ridden whites, and frinhe groups.

He has a disastrous record and everything he has touched has turned to shit. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 03:38:17 AM »
A paper bag will beat obama next year. 

He has a horrible record and can't just blame bush anymore. 

He only won by six points last and is a ton less popular than before. 

With the economy still in the toilet and gas prices high, he is done.   Only strong support he will have is from blacks, govt workers, gays, guilt ridden whites, and frinhe groups.

He has a disastrous record and everything he has touched has turned to shit. 

That's a lot of people.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 04:16:44 AM »
Independents decide elections and Obama has been bleeding them for a while now. 240 and his butt buddies Pelosi and Reid can brag about Obama's approval rating staying above 40% but at the end of the day it's not the 40% that always vote Dem or the 40% that always vote Repub that decide elections.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 04:29:55 AM »
Shit. I'm the group that decides?

We are fucked.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 04:34:34 AM »
Shit. I'm the group that decides?

We are fucked.

Just vote for "paper bag" and we will be better off than if obama gets a second term.   

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 04:48:19 AM »
Just vote for "paper bag" and we will be better off than if obama gets a second term.   

Possibly. But paperbag won't count against anyone and it creates work for people.

Did you know that every vote must be tallied. Even if its for imaginary creatures like Mickey Mouse.

If the Republicans find someone who doesn't suck. I'd vote for them. At present though. Most Republican candidates suck ass.

Why is it only the kooks run for Office?

Is there no normal people in either party anymore?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 04:53:30 AM »
Possibly. But paperbag won't count against anyone and it creates work for people.

Did you know that every vote must be tallied. Even if its for imaginary creatures like Mickey Mouse.

If the Republicans find someone who doesn't suck. I'd vote for them. At present though. Most Republican candidates suck ass.

Why is it only the kooks run for Office?

Is there no normal people in either party anymore?

Personally I want to see Christie/Rubio   or Christe/West   or something like that.   

I also would be thrilled with Cain/West, or Bachmann/West or some combo of the above.   

At least Huck is out.   I can see voting for Daniels.  Ron Paul, who i like a ton, scares off too many people to get elected nationally.  His son Rand would have a better chance at winning in 2012 IMHO.         

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 05:28:29 AM »
:)

You should atleast start admitting to yourself that Obama is going to have a much tougher time with this one. The electoral map looks very good for the Republicans.

Really?  Because all I have seen so far is all the GOP candidates seem to be VP material.  Not a single one of them stands out from the pack well enough to fill the leading role.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 07:33:12 AM »
Really?  Because all I have seen so far is all the GOP candidates seem to be VP material.  Not a single one of them stands out from the pack well enough to fill the leading role.

Yeah, we haven't seen a Jeb or Christie or someone with that "oh shit!" factor.  In 2008, it was Rudy who had that - someone who you just looked at and said "oh yeah, he's gonna be president".

I look at this group - it's hard to say "oh yeah, I can picture West taking the oath".  Mitt maybe?  RPaul I wish.

Pat buchannan - who republicans love - said this morning that Huck did the math and realized he probably won't beat obama.  He said that is why most are sitting out.  It's what I've been saying for a while.  I guess Buchannan's a lib now too, huh?  Facts are facts, sadly.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 07:43:17 AM »
Yeah, we haven't seen a Jeb or Christie or someone with that "oh shit!" factor.  In 2008, it was Rudy who had that - someone who you just looked at and said "oh yeah, he's gonna be president".

I look at this group - it's hard to say "oh yeah, I can picture West taking the oath".  Mitt maybe?  RPaul I wish.

Pat buchannan - who republicans love - said this morning that Huck did the math and realized he probably won't beat obama.  He said that is why most are sitting out.  It's what I've been saying for a while.  I guess Buchannan's a lib now too, huh?  Facts are facts, sadly.

ha ha ha ha - you were the same guy who thought Crist would be the 2012 GOP nominee. 

By next year - if things stay the same or get worse as they probably will, your messiah is gone, thankfully. 

and again - please tell me what exactly Obama wants with a second term? 

Amnesty for illegals
Cap & Trade
Kagans on the court etc

? ? ?   

Why would anyone vote for this asshole again with his horrible record as well as his plans for the future? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 08:21:14 AM »
ha ha ha ha - you were the same guy who thought Crist would be the 2012 GOP nominee. 

LOL!  Youre wrong about shit about 20x more than I am.  Where are your threads celebrating obamacare being defeated?  lol

I would love to see obama lose in 2012.  What I'm saying - and buchannan is saying too - is that an incumbent obama might be really tough to beat.  Any republican that LOSES in 2012 is political toast.  if you can't beat Obama in a depression and 2-3 losing wars, you suck.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 08:24:41 AM »
LOL!  Youre wrong about shit about 20x more than I am.  Where are your threads celebrating obamacare being defeated?  lol

I would love to see obama lose in 2012.  What I'm saying - and buchannan is saying too - is that an incumbent obama might be really tough to beat.  Any republican that LOSES in 2012 is political toast.  if you can't beat Obama in a depression and 2-3 losing wars, you suck.

50% of this nation are not affected by bad economic times.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 08:27:15 AM »
50% of this nation are not affected by bad economic times.   

Translation - obama has created a situation where 50.1% of the population don't mind that we're in a depression.

Morally corrupt, but politically smart.  I wish repubs would point this out instead of screaming about birth certificates and college records.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 08:29:38 AM »
Translation - obama has created a situation where 50.1% of the population don't mind that we're in a depression.

Morally corrupt, but politically smart.  I wish repubs would point this out instead of screaming about birth certificates and college records.

Part of those 50.1% are the geezers screaming "keep the govt out of medicare"  who might vote for the GOP. 

Totally depressing how juvenile the public debate is when really it is basic math that should be driving the decisions.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 08:31:54 AM »
Part of those 50.1% are the geezers screaming "keep the govt out of medicare"  who might vote for the GOP. 

Totally depressing how juvenile the public debate is when really it is basic math that should be driving the decisions.   

agreed.  LOL @ Keep the govt out of medicare!

If you had no dog in this fight - if you were a martian just watching it all - you'd probably be amused that Obama is able to pull off such a stunt.  get 45% of the population to pay for the other 55%.   Brilliant. 

AND - you get the working 45% to spend their days arguing about birth certificates and christmas decorations instead of the plot you're pulling off ;)

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 08:42:41 AM »

Please name the republicans screaming about birth certificates.  Who? Trump? Last time I checked, Trump was calling Bush the worst president ever until 2 years into Obama's presidency. Do you actually think Trump has any chance?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 08:47:30 AM »
Please name the republicans screaming about birth certificates.  Who? Trump? Last time I checked, Trump was calling Bush the worst president ever until 2 years into Obama's presidency. Do you actually think Trump has any chance?

Trump.  Also, bachmann, palin and others have offered coy support of an investigation into it.  huck bringing up the kenyan thing.  Newt too.  Mitt and T-paw were the only two major canddiates to steer clear of it altogether.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 08:48:36 AM »
Trump.  Also, bachmann, palin and others have offered coy support of an investigation into it.  huck bringing up the kenyan thing.  Newt too.  Mitt and T-paw were the only two major canddiates to steer clear of it altogether.

You yourself are a birther no?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 08:51:01 AM »
You yourself are a birther no?

of course.

but I know that the only thing that matters is the PERCEPTION - not the truth.

Doesn't matter if you're right - it only matters what the masses think.