Author Topic: Does anyone else get light headed when doing heavy bent over rows or deadlifts?  (Read 9539 times)

EatShizzel

• Getbig II
  • I'm not cocky but my dick is
About everytime I do bent over rows I get light headed after the set. Maybe its because I do it at a 90 degree angle. When I go heavy on deadlifts I also become light headed. It really only happens when I'm in the 5 to 6 rep range. When I go for 10 to 12 reps it hardly happens.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
It happens.

Sometimes squatting, deadlifting, benching, overhead pressing........it happens.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Meso_z

• Getbig V
It happens.

Sometimes squatting, deadlifting, benching, overhead pressing........it happens.
Yes...sometimes my vision blurs and I see "stars" too lol.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Are you holding your breath?
:

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
Are you holding your breath?

good question.  Make sure to take good size (not huge) breaths in and out when doing compound lifts.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Three  things come to mind.

1) Not breathing fully and deep enough or something might be restricting breathing (lifting belt comes to mind).

2) Nerve or muscle cramps/stress, which can relieved by massage or stretching. Usually occurs at the neck, trap or upper back area. In rare events, lower back.

3) High blood pressure. Which really is a silent killer. Pro BB'ers and PL'er seem to have this problem quite a bit. My race and blacks have this concern at a higher percentage rate than whites or any other race.

If the light headed feeling is not felt that much with higher rep's, that might be because your using a lighter weight as opposed to using lower reps, with more weight used. And more force put into the lift. Which might hint at higher blood pressure. Don't have to be some old guy, fat or out of shape. Now days even teenagers can have HB. Girls included. Might be surprised how many prime athletes have blood pressure problems.

There is a distance #4 reason, which may be a stretch, and that would be heart disease. The heart is not pumping enough blood/oxygen through the body. Blood flow is not regulated the way it should. Would doubt if it would all come down to that. Anyway might check the family history and your blood pressure from time to time. Good Luck.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
As with PL and Traps good suggestions:

Don't want to over do the heavy breathing, that can also cause a momentary dizzy feeling. Or even a blackout. Some will get those feelings when first doing 20 rep breathing squats or similar protocols. That bar on the shoulders/traps, when doing most forms of squats, can press against a nerve until you learn the correct way to place the bar on the back.

Might also add to breath through the open mouth, not through the nose only. Nose only breathing can also restrict the full amount of air/oxygen taken in the lungs when involved in serious workouts. Good Luck.
F

Yev33

• Getbig III
Definetly seen stars before on heavy squats, never had the light headed feeling or dizzyness.

chaos

• Getbig V
I find its usually from exhaling deeply during the rep. It only lasts a few seconds, I would think that if it lasts longer there might be other issues.

I can see people reading jpm's post and making appointments with a cardiologist! ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

EatShizzel

• Getbig II
My BP is good and I make it a point not to hold my breath. It usually only last a few seconds after the set is over. The best i can describe the feeling is when I played football and had to do suicides and suicides up hill during speed camp. I find taking deep breaths after the set usually brings me back from the brink of vomiting or passing out.  Thanks for the insight

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
I find its usually from exhaling deeply during the rep. It only lasts a few seconds, I would think that if it lasts longer there might be other issues.

I can see people reading jpm's post and making appointments with a cardiologist! ;D

I see a lot of people at the gym who SHOULD be making appointments with a cardiologist.

chaos

• Getbig V
I see a lot of people at the gym who SHOULD be making appointments with a cardiologist.
;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

EatShizzel

• Getbig II
Maybe I should have a heart scan to be safe. I did use anabolics for around 7 years. I have my blood work done every three month and everything is in check. But, you never really now with heart disease

Attila

• Getbig II
Three  things come to mind.

3) High blood pressure. Which really is a silent killer. Pro BB'ers and PL'er seem to have this problem quite a bit. My race and blacks have this concern at a higher percentage rate than whites or any other race.

If the light headed feeling is not felt that much with higher rep's, that might be because your using a lighter weight as opposed to using lower reps, with more weight used. And more force put into the lift. Which might hint at higher blood pressure. Don't have to be some old guy, fat or out of shape. Now days even teenagers can have HB. Girls included. Might be surprised how many prime athletes have blood pressure problems.

Any idea why Pro BB'ers and PL'ers have this problem quite a bit ? I'm not being sarcastic,just wondering.
"lifting for life"

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
Maybe you're just getting a little older and a little out of shape??  I'm not trying to be inflammatory, just pointing out that you might be needing to add a bit of cardio to your routine.  I've found that cardio can really help your lifting efforts.

EatShizzel

• Getbig II
I do cardio 4 to 6 days a week. Sometimes twice a day. In the off season it goes down to no less than 3 days a week. I also lift 5 days a week high intensity. Over training might have something to do with it. Just trying to get my six pack yoked for the summer. I have appointments with my docs and I shall see whats going on.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
you answered this in another thread. you did and are doing too much steriods. now if you are smart and stop it NOW then maybe you will be better... donīīt you think?? sure all the wanna be Muscle gods here can tell you it is ok but at the end of the day YOU will pay the price.

chaos

• Getbig V
you answered this in another thread. you did and are doing too much steriods. now if you are smart and stop it NOW then maybe you will be better... donīīt you think?? sure all the wanna be Muscle gods here can tell you it is ok but at the end of the day YOU will pay the price.
I don't use steroids and it happens to me on heavy deads or squats, sometimes overhead pressing too.

Now what ???
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

EatShizzel

• Getbig II
I did do roids back in the day. It's been about 4 years. Yes, I shall again soon. But, taking it light this time around. All my blood work is money. I may however have a pinched nerve in my neck but it has nothing to do with my anabolic use. As this has just came up and I haven't used in 4 years. I had an EKG about 2 years ago and it checked out fine. I personally just think it's the pressure you put your body under when doing heavy complex movements. When lifting heavy to failure it put's your body under extreme metabolic stress. Which probably has something to do with the dizziness.  If you consider dead lifting 300lbs for 6 reps hard then don't even respond to this post. I'm taking 500lbs and up. If this has never happened to you one then your not lifting heavy enough or with enough intensity.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
I don't use steroids and it happens to me on heavy deads or squats, sometimes overhead pressing too.

Now what ???
After those sets I always say to myself "in the next workout Im going to breath better!!"...but always fail to do. I completely forget it when i lift.  ;D

chaos

• Getbig V
After those sets I always say to myself "in the next workout Im going to breath better!!"...but always fail to do. I completely forget it when i lift.  ;D
Ditto!
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

EatShizzel

• Getbig II

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
During the set the bloodpressure is immense. This is very normal. Directly after the set bloodpressure drops instantly. For some people it temporarily shoots below normal pressure.
It's harmless, unless you fall with your head on the concrete floor.

So says Dr Dutch, MD