Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 551736 times)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1075 on: November 19, 2014, 03:38:37 PM »
I understand that, and neither of us are fans, if I presume correctly. But at least his other 'Killing' titles made sense, as the subjects were murdered. Patton, though? It was a car accident.
So, they would have you believe. See: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077272/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_10        ;D

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #1076 on: December 01, 2014, 02:13:03 PM »
Our new Young Adult novel REDEMPTION'S WARRIOR was offered for FREE on Amazon Kindle for Cyber Monday and Tuesday. We hit #55 out of 9,222 in our category half way thru today.

If you are young at heart or have young adult family/friends...take advantage of FREE.

http://redemptionswarrior.com

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1077 on: December 01, 2014, 06:03:22 PM »
Our new Young Adult novel REDEMPTION'S WARRIOR was offered for FREE on Amazon Kindle for Cyber Monday and Tuesday. We hit #55 out of 9,222 in our category half way thru today.

If you are young at heart or have young adult family/friends...take advantage of FREE.

http://redemptionswarrior.com
'Redemptions Warrior: A young adult novel is fantasy fiction, blending mystical with mundane realities.

Do you believe in beneficence? Can you fathom a goodness requiring you to make acts of power and truth? Acts resonating into the world on waves on intention; where the impossible intersects with freedom.

Redemptions warrior is the story of Christopher Marcus accused of running drugs, incarcerated on Ilas Tres Marias, an island prison sixty miles southwest of Mazatlan.

Not soon enough Juanita will be off her father’s boat and back in the little room off the kitchen in the home of La Currendea. The healer teaches Juanita, “your belly is filled with miles of sensors. To live an authentic life you must unite your mind and hearth with your belly.” Together Juanita and Christopher will fight for his freedom and a life together.

Redemptions Warrior. The hero’s journey; a quest for freedom. Would you bet your life on beneficence?'

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #1078 on: December 01, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »
Thanks dr.   We just hit #42 on Kindle this evening. Would love to be in the 30s by midnight.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #1079 on: December 03, 2014, 03:31:59 PM »
"Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive"

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #1080 on: December 03, 2014, 04:00:05 PM »
How to exercise without moving a muscle, 1973

Rhino

• Getbig IV
  • Jesus Christ is lord and savior
« Reply #1081 on: December 16, 2014, 06:10:03 PM »
Ah yes, another "what are you reading thread" where Getbiggers try and out-do each other with their impressive intellectual reading skills and post titles of books suck as "Advanced quantum physics and string theory" and "How to build a hadron collider".  ::)

Not me! I'm reading Catcher in the Rye.  ;D
X

Rhino

• Getbig IV
  • Jesus Christ is lord and savior
« Reply #1082 on: December 16, 2014, 06:14:07 PM »
Also, reading the Old Man and the Sea. It's a good book for aging getbiggers. Makes ones realize that we all have our time. And, eventually, our days our gone! There comes that day when you're are going to have your last fishing trip or taste of the good life being the "top dog" in the gym. :'(
X

churbro

• Getbig II
  • Don't fear death...fear a life unlived
« Reply #1084 on: December 22, 2014, 03:04:18 AM »
Anybody read the Flashman books by George MacDonald Fraser? Historical novels meticulously researched and involving the most cowardly 19th century British Cad to have ever lived. Also the reason I now love using the word poltroon!  :)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1085 on: December 22, 2014, 10:00:51 AM »
Just finished an article about Tony Blair in Vanity Fair. He's a very interesting person. It is hard to determine whether he is completely corrupt or it just appears that he is. He is definitely "in bed" with some scary people. The fact that he profits financially from these "friendships" is suspect. Some folks believe he is worth £100 million. He claims this is not the case and that he is worth about £20 million and not motivated by money. I find this hard to believe.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1086 on: January 10, 2015, 05:45:04 AM »
Drove by my local Barnes and Nobles last night and it was closed up :'(

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1087 on: January 11, 2015, 08:42:58 AM »
Anybody read the Flashman books by George MacDonald Fraser? Historical novels meticulously researched and involving the most cowardly 19th century British Cad to have ever lived. Also the reason I now love using the word poltroon!  :)
Been years, but I remember them being a lot of fun. Flashman was apparently the bad guy in the book Tom Brown's School Days. Can't remember who wrote that one, tho.

/oh, and the guy who wrote the books was a pseudonym/had secrets?  something weird?

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1088 on: January 11, 2015, 09:55:37 AM »
Drove by my local Barnes and Nobles last night and it was closed up :'(
You're not buying local enough, bro.  >:(

/me neither. half-price on-line is a no-brainer.  :-\

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1089 on: January 11, 2015, 09:57:06 AM »
To Hell and Back, Audie Murphy.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1090 on: January 11, 2015, 09:25:17 PM »
Robert Stone has passed. Solid author, best known for 'Dog Soldiers.'

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1091 on: January 13, 2015, 08:19:25 AM »
You're not buying local enough, bro.  >:(

/me neither. half-price on-line is a no-brainer.  :-\

I was on my way there to buy >:(

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #1092 on: January 17, 2015, 02:00:43 PM »
Dr.Michael Mosley ' The Fast Diet'

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1093 on: January 17, 2015, 05:24:52 PM »
Dark Places, Gillian Flynn (author of Gone Girl). This chick is good.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1094 on: January 22, 2015, 12:26:06 PM »
Dark Places, Gillian Flynn (author of Gone Girl). This chick is good.
Bought her first book, Sharp Objects, on a recommendation; was not impressed. She blew up. Big mistake.  ;D

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1095 on: January 22, 2015, 09:00:07 PM »
With the Old Breed - Eugene Sledge

WWII Marine's firsthand account of the Pelileu and Okinawa invasions. Brutal stuff.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1096 on: January 22, 2015, 09:01:03 PM »
Bought her first book, Sharp Objects, on a recommendation; was not impressed. She blew up. Big mistake.  ;D

Just started the one I mentioned, but Gone Girl was excellent, except maybe the ending.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1097 on: January 23, 2015, 07:49:33 AM »

Just picked up Bernard Cornwells latest on his Saxon series.

...lol, walked in the Barnes and Nobles two towns over >:( with a $25.00 gift card and ended up finding three more books besides that :-\

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #1098 on: January 23, 2015, 11:57:11 AM »
The Complete Roman Army, Adrian Goldsworthy

churbro

• Getbig II
  • Don't fear death...fear a life unlived
« Reply #1099 on: February 03, 2015, 05:19:53 AM »
Been years, but I remember them being a lot of fun. Flashman was apparently the bad guy in the book Tom Brown's School Days. Can't remember who wrote that one, tho.

/oh, and the guy who wrote the books was a pseudonym/had secrets?  something weird?

Thomas Hughes created the character of Harry Flashman in Tom Brown's School Days in 1857 and George MacDonald Fraser based the Flashman books on that outline.

He wrote under his own name and as far as I know there were no skeletons in his closet. Served in WW2, worked for a newspaper before becoming a fulltime writer. He also wrote the movie screenplays for the Three Musketeers (1972) and Octopussy.