Author Topic: Arnold presses: anyone tried those?  (Read 5183 times)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
Arnold presses: anyone tried those?
« on: June 01, 2011, 10:46:42 PM »

For delts...Its seems to stimulate all 3 heads of the delt.

L00n

• Getbig IV
  • Bulgaria
Re: Arnold presses: anyone tried those?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 11:22:41 PM »
pretty good exercise.you can do them seated too and don't go extreme on the weight.

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 12:26:51 AM »
form is key. Drop the ego and lower the weight, because you won't be able to go as heavy as you do with regular dumbbell shoulder presses. Great burn with this exercise.

POTA

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »
They're excellent. Throw them in at least once every few workouts.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 05:47:48 PM »
Never been a fan of them, but some people love them.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 07:33:13 PM »

Mostly anterior w/a little lateral, but no posterior
:

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 07:34:25 PM »
gonna try them tomorrow

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 07:57:11 PM »
Might also mention Larry Scott's DB presses. A true TUT exercise.

If anyone knows the name of the DB press exercise (seated), where the DB's start with the elbows in close and the knuckles face outward. And ends, all the way overhead, with the knuckles facing towards you, please let us know. This DB press requires a twist, as the weight goes up, following the natural path of the overhead press.

There is the DB Cuban Press, that some guy's swear by. Can be done with a BB also. Good luck.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 08:13:54 PM »

If anyone knows the name of the DB press exercise (seated), where the DB's start with the elbows in close and the knuckles face outward. And ends, all the way overhead, with the knuckles facing towards you, please let us know. This DB press requires a twist, as the weight goes up, following the natural path of the overhead press.

Are you referring to these:

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 12:45:03 AM »

There is the DB Cuban Press, that some guy's swear by. Can be done with a BB also. Good luck.
"W" Presses ???

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 07:40:59 AM »
Just got out of the gym and tried them.....they are great and an ass-kicker....good advice not to go too heavy..I used 40 lb dumbbells and did 4 sets of 15-20...gave me a nice pump

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 08:29:35 AM »
Wes: don't think their "W" presses. The Arnold press looks like a version of the "W" press though. So many exercises can go by other names. The unknown (for me) named exercise, with the twisting of the DB's, seems to be a very effective way of hitting the anterior and lateral heads. As do the other DB presses.

Montague:  Yes those are the Scott presses I meant.  Inspired by Gironda no doubt. Some Gironda freaks out there probably know and have used that twisting DB press before.

Smart move by not going heavy on these style DB presses. More designed for control & TUT movements. The 3/5th advice from Scott is very interesting. Kind of like what quite a few modern BB'ing are doing with their middle range, partial performance of exercises. Good Luck.
F

Attila

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 12:03:39 PM »
I'm gonna give those Arnold presses a try this week.
"lifting for life"

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 11:13:13 PM »

Are you referring to these:

I have watched this OVER 15 FUCKING TIMES and cant copy the form  ;D!. Interesting technique.. Im going to try this tommorow as a warmup first, to learn the motion.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 01:26:52 PM »
I have watched this OVER 15 FUCKING TIMES and cant copy the form  ;D!. Interesting technique.. Im going to try this tommorow as a warmup first, to learn the motion.

The video may be a little confusing since Scott & Benfatto perform the movement slightly differently - particularly in terms of how far back they bring their elbows.

It feels a little awkward at first and, to be honest, I don’t do them often - although I much prefer them to Arnold Presses.
I’ve gotten favorable results applying Larry’s “middle 3/5” idea to standing militaries & seated db presses.
There’s a lot to be said for improving TUT on muscles - especially shoulders.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 01:28:13 PM »
I have tried them... 'meh.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 01:55:39 AM »

Arnold's enough in the press allready these weeks..

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 06:22:23 AM »
Arnold's enough in the press allready these weeks..
I have made them a part of my gym routine.....I have also made it a part of my routine to bang my housekeeper ;)

Carmello

• Getbig III
  • Believe it or not. Your choice.
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 04:59:02 PM »
I do something similar that has recently shown me results. Seated, I start the db's like an Arnold press, but alternate them...passing the side of my face on the way up, and turning the db so that at the top the db is almost directly above my shoulder with the palm facing away. I call these "Black panther presses" cause they go straight up, and I feel Arnold presses come out a bit at the top of the movement.

Oh, one more thing..try and arch your back slightly so that you're looking at the ceiling easily at the top of the motion. Make sure your upper back is touching the backrest of the bench.
CEA999

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 05:43:48 PM »
Do them in a Total Body Strength class I take at Lifetime Tuesdays and Thursdays. The raising them over my head I can feel, the squeezing them inward, not so much. But we do volume with low weights and move on to other shoulder movements so combining it with other exercises helps burn out my delts. Probably wouldn't do them outside the class environment

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 02:44:03 AM »
Don't really see the point in them to be honest.

Carmello

• Getbig III
  • Believe it or not. Your choice.
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 09:27:52 AM »
Do them in a Total Body Strength class I take at Lifetime Tuesdays and Thursdays. The raising them over my head I can feel, the squeezing them inward, not so much. But we do volume with low weights and move on to other shoulder movements so combining it with other exercises helps burn out my delts. Probably wouldn't do them outside the class environment
This brings a good point..do u think it's better to do higher volume for shoulders? Let's say..2 exercises for each head? 18 sets? ..and are there any good compound movements for rear delts?
CEA999

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 02:59:13 PM »
This brings a good point..do u think it's better to do higher volume for shoulders? Let's say..2 exercises for each head? 18 sets? ..and are there any good compound movements for rear delts?

Rear delts get some work doing certain back rowing movements - particularly with a wider grip.
I began doing face-pulls and really like the way they feel on my rear heads.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 06:23:31 PM »
For rear delt's might try reverse pec decks, with elbows on the pads. Also one arm DB rear raises. Keeping the other arm braced/holding onto something solid. Feel free to swing the DB up to get it started. Reaching the top position, try keeping the DB there for a second or two.

Most pulling movements for the back will hit the rear delt's well, but much better when the elbows are held out wide and inline with the upper back. Front and rear chins hit the posterior delt's quite well also.

The whole point of Arnold (and similar type DB presses) presses is to keep the tension (TUT) on the delt's throughout the exercise. More of a moderate (different from each of us) and controlled  weight is used.

For mass, suggest military presses/push presses for the shoulder girdle. Including the press behind the back. Hi-pulls hits the lateral and posterior delt's very, very well. Good Luck.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 06:56:52 PM »
My first gym had a lateral raise machine that people would occasionally use for rear delt work.
You would stand facing the front of the machine, bend about 90 degrees at the hips resting your head on the backrest, position your elbows on the pads, and lift.

It reminded me a bit of the picture I once saw of an old Nautilus lat machine that used roller pads for the elbows to perform the lat contraction.
Same principle of removing most of the hands/arms from the movement.