Author Topic: Greatest Sports Memories  (Read 23554 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Greatest Sports Memories
« on: June 04, 2011, 09:32:39 PM »
Some of mine:

LA coming back from 15+ down to beat Portland in game 7.  Portland had some horses on that team.  

The Billy Sims karate kick:

Watching that freak Bo Jackson.  Breaking the bat on his head is one of the freakiest things I've seen:

Steve Atwater laying the lumber on Christian Okoye:

Montana to Taylor in Super Bowl XXIII

Watching the greatest RB in the history of the NFL:

Magic's sky hook over the Chief and McHale to win a championship:

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Re: Greatest Sports Memories
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 08:30:27 PM »
 :o  10.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 12:39:14 PM »
 ;D i got pretty many i was in attendance when derek jeter hit a homerun for his 3000 hits. i was in phillie when joe carter got his 2000 hits. i saw mark mcgwire take batting practice in phillie and than hit a centerfield upperdeck shot in the game. barry bonds hitting a hr and next time up rickey bo who just got in the game plunk him in the ass on the first pitch, rickey bo got a black eye and an ejection for his trouble. i was there when tom tresh hit 3 hrs in one game and on and on.
F

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 02:21:41 PM »
The Magic skyhook had me screaming at the fuzzy picture on our TV for 10 minutes....I was crushed !!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 02:25:37 PM »
The Magic skyhook had me screaming at the fuzzy picture on our TV for 10 minutes....I was crushed !!!!

lol.  That's arguably the greatest shot in the history of basketball, given the stakes, the kind of shot, and who he made it over (the Chief and McHale).  I was screaming for a different reason.  lol

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 05:26:38 PM »
lol.  That's arguably the greatest shot in the history of basketball, given the stakes, the kind of shot, and who he made it over (the Chief and McHale).  I was screaming for a different reason.  lol

I know we have talked about it before, but I REALLY miss the 80's Celtics vs Lakers.  In my opinion it was the greatest professional sports rivalry.  Yankees/Red Sox was way too one sided for decades.  Plus the stakes were always at the highest level when they played.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 06:42:33 PM »
I know we have talked about it before, but I REALLY miss the 80's Celtics vs Lakers.  In my opinion it was the greatest professional sports rivalry.  Yankees/Red Sox was way too one sided for decades.  Plus the stakes were always at the highest level when they played.

Completely agree.  Was watching a couple older games on NBA TV earlier today.  Really miss those days.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 10:22:23 AM »
this game was the only time i didn't think the steelers had a chance of winning, it felt just as good as the super bowl wins

best play in super bowl history, i'll never forget thinking to myself that we needed a defensive miracle, wow did we get a miracle

this drive and touchdown, the end to a rollercoaster season that crowned the steelers as 6 time super bowl champs

E

E

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 01:39:21 PM »

best play in super bowl history, i'll never forget thinking to myself that we needed a defensive miracle, wow did we get a miracle

E

Greatest overall play in Superbowl history:

I don't know how this can be topped in terms of context:  First, it had two parts, a ridiculous escape, followed by a ridiculous catch during a last minute drive that only a TD could help against the statistically greatest offense in NFL history, who was going for an unprecedented 19 win undefeated season.
Y

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 03:37:02 PM »
That Ben throw/Holmes catch was one of the greatest plays of all-time IMO.  And even though the catch was a 10, the throw was equally impressive, because he had just made the same throw to the opposite side of the endzone.  Forget whether it was dropped or penalty or whatever.  

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 04:57:53 PM »

Oh, that fellow Edwards!

~

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 07:28:59 PM »
Greatest overall play in Superbowl history:

I don't know how this can be topped in terms of context:  First, it had two parts, a ridiculous escape, followed by a ridiculous catch during a last minute drive that only a TD could help against the statistically greatest offense in NFL history, who was going for an unprecedented 19 win undefeated season.

i'm sorry but a play that goes for a first down can not top a 100 yard interception return, and nobody remembers that game if new england isn't undefeated

it is one of the most memorable plays, but it wasn't a better play than the 100 yard int

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 07:31:52 PM »
That Ben throw/Harrison catch was one of the greatest plays of all-time IMO.  And even though the catch was a 10, the throw was equally impressive, because he had just made the same throw to the opposite side of the endzone.  Forget whether it was dropped or penalty or whatever. 

the throw before that went through his hands, funny because it should've been an easier catch

it was a great catch but i think it is overrated, it's one of the most memorable for me because it clinched the super bowl win after coming from behind with little time to spare

E
E

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 03:51:52 PM »
i'm sorry but a play that goes for a first down can not top a 100 yard interception return, and nobody remembers that game if new england isn't undefeated

it is one of the most memorable plays, but it wasn't a better play than the 100 yard int

E

Your description of it ignores all the context around it that made it the greatest.  The Patriots WERE undefeated, you can't take that away when evaluating it.

I enjoyed the Steelers / Arizona SB as much as I could enjoy a game that my own team wasn't playing, but I didn't put too much stock in all the hoopla it got, because the Steelers won a game in dramatic fashion only because they let an inferior team almost beat them.  They won when they were supposed to win as they were 7 point favorites.

Harrison play was definitely a top ten in SB history, but I'd put the Holmes catch above it.
Y

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 04:09:55 PM »
the throw before that went through his hands, funny because it should've been an easier catch

it was a great catch but i think it is overrated, it's one of the most memorable for me because it clinched the super bowl win after coming from behind with little time to spare

E

Overrated?  I don't think so at all.  Incredibly difficult.  Absolutely perfect pass, but the hands, footwork, and body control were just amazing.  And with the stakes, it was just even more impressive. 

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 10:36:47 AM »
Your description of it ignores all the context around it that made it the greatest.  The Patriots WERE undefeated, you can't take that away when evaluating it.

I enjoyed the Steelers / Arizona SB as much as I could enjoy a game that my own team wasn't playing, but I didn't put too much stock in all the hoopla it got, because the Steelers won a game in dramatic fashion only because they let an inferior team almost beat them.  They won when they were supposed to win as they were 7 point favorites.

Harrison play was definitely a top ten in SB history, but I'd put the Holmes catch above it.

the game was 10 -7 until the final 3 or 4 minutes, that's boring football imo, a great game imo is great from start to finish

i say the holmes catch was overrated because i think the harrison int was more spectacular, while many say the opposite

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 03:48:37 PM »
I miss this little fattie.  (no homo)  Could never keep his weight down.  Played at about 250-60.  Needed to be about 215.  Definitely NFL talent. 

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 05:32:59 PM »

Oh, that fellow Edwards!

It's at the top of a few lists, but no way the best try ever.
P

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 01:32:10 AM »
It's at the top of a few lists, but no way the best try ever.

It happened before you were born and people still talk about it.
~

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 08:48:10 AM »
1. Hail Mary pass Flutie to Phelan

2. Cal versus Stanford 1982

3. Nolan Ryan Robin Ventura brawl

4. Spud Webb wins 86 Slam Dunk Contest

5. Michigan versus Colorado Hail Mary

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 11:39:24 AM »
1. Hail Mary pass Flutie to Phelan

2. Cal versus Stanford 1982

3. Nolan Ryan Robin Ventura brawl

4. Spud Webb wins 86 Slam Dunk Contest

5. Michigan versus Colorado Hail Mary

Still have nightmares about that game and Ty Law fucking up that one game.  :-\
D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 12:27:32 PM »
On TV:

1976 Watching Chambliss HR as a kid with my Grandpa while my Dad was away on a trip
1996 Final WS out at my friend's house
2007 Giants Superbowl
2003 Boone HR (subsequently spoiled by WS loss)
NY Rangers playoffs against NJ during Cup run

In person:

Tino Martinez GS in Game 1 of 1998 WS
1999 game four WS clincher
Taking daughter to first Yankee game at age 5

Phil Simms 43 yd TD run on Madden '93 to win game, which was pretty much impossible to do.
Half rink shot on Blades of Steel in Arcade with no time on clock to win bet and make friend get on GNC scale (295 lbs total)
Clubber Lang going 5-5 with 5 HR on Colecovision Super Action baseball against me in one game (we had to name our teams and keep stats on paper since the games didn't then)
Y

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 04:34:16 PM »
1993 UNC mens basketball Natl Championship....the Webber TO game....  I was stationed in Germany at the time, it was about 4 am and when he walked on the rebound before "the TO" I was yelling at the top of my lungs....when the doofus called timeout I woke up the entire section of my barracks.

The Laettner shot to beat Kentucky.  Again, stationed in Germany and the LAST time I pulled for Duke.  It was only because I hadn't been back home yet and ran into all the converted Duke fans, none of who pulled for Duke when I was in HS with them.....back to back titles tend to do that.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 05:06:17 PM »
1993 UNC mens basketball Natl Championship....the Webber TO game....  I was stationed in Germany at the time, it was about 4 am and when he walked on the rebound before "the TO" I was yelling at the top of my lungs....when the doofus called timeout I woke up the entire section of my barracks.

The Laettner shot to beat Kentucky.  Again, stationed in Germany and the LAST time I pulled for Duke.  It was only because I hadn't been back home yet and ran into all the converted Duke fans, none of who pulled for Duke when I was in HS with them.....back to back titles tend to do that.

Did you have your strong hatred for Kentucky at that time, or did that come later?

I was in the Army during the Duke game but I was at home with my (at the time) new wife.  The UNC-Michigan game took place a few months after I left the Army.
~

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 02:01:57 PM »

:'(
D