Author Topic: Forearms give way before larger muscles on large compound exercises...  (Read 3842 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Pullups, deadlifts, even bicep curls....apart from straps, what would be the best solution?
I hate the State.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Don't use straps, work within your grip to strengthen it, add direct forearm/grip work.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
well with the pull ups.. what i found good was always hanging from a chin up bar with your fingers (if you know what i mean) just hang as long as you can. This really strengthens your hands,fingers and forearms.

Attila

• Getbig II
I agree on training forearms and not useing straps...except maybe for  heavy deadlifts. I know guys who use them for shrugs,but they are moving alot of iron.
"lifting for life"

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Don't use straps, work within your grip to strengthen it, add direct forearm/grip work.

I've never actually done direct forearm work because I thought with heavy exercises they were well trained with it; would you recommend forearm curls?
I hate the State.

chaos

• Getbig V
Tons of variations of forearm curls you can do, reverse curls, hammer curls...do them all.

Are you trying to bodybuild or are you more concerned with strength?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
good advice above

but

you shouldnt be going to failure anyways

Maddy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbigs Watchdog
good advice above

but

you shouldnt be going to failure anyways

where does he say hes going to failure? his grip is giving out before he can exhaust the muscle, typical of people that rely on straps

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Tons of variations of forearm curls you can do, reverse curls, hammer curls...do them all.

Are you trying to bodybuild or are you more concerned with strength?

I guess strength, I am just a hobby weightlifter, nothing more.
I hate the State.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Simple and very effected advice from Donny. Can also try using one hand at a time. Reaching more of a advance stage, hold a DB in the free hand while just holding with the other. A 20 second hold may be  a start.

Might try loading the bar up to around 40lbs above your best DL and just hold the weight. Use a false grip (thumbs over the bar). Preferred using a height adjusted PR or Smith. With the chins & DL's, there is lot to be said for the benefits static holds for strength gains. Can also use DB's of course.

For a stronger all around grip try hanging or chinning from overhead rafters, using a pinch grip. Can see how weak the thumbs actually are. Rafter beams are usually 2" thick (2x4, 2X6. 2x8, etc) and easy to get to in most garages.

Reverse BB curls are also a good grip developer. Try the false grip rather that the thumbs overlapping, Dozens of good grip/forearm exercises around, pick your choice.

Can use powder or block chalk if you wish, helping the grip. Lifters all use this stuff.  In fact most lifters are covered with this chalk during meets. There are also stick'ums or gum based products on the market. Good luck.
F

untamedsense

• Getbig II
  • Bigger, Better, Badder!!!
where does he say hes going to failure? his grip is giving out before he can exhaust the muscle, typical of people that rely on straps

Wait a minute...it's not ALL just "grip strength" that can be corrected.  Some people have small hands, fingers aren't long, giving them a grip disadvantage.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with using straps to help work the target muscle without having a "weak link" interfere.  Leave the strengthening of the grip, hands, forearms for the end...
Those who play with cats; expect to get scratched!

Carmello

• Getbig III
  • Believe it or not. Your choice.
JPM nailed it. Once I started using a false grip years ago with many movements (pullups/downs, bbrows, reverse grip cambered bar curls, basically most any pulling w/a Barbell) and an overhand, or over under grip on deads, I never had grip problems again.
CEA999

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
As a bodybuilder,I recommend straps.........you are trying to build your back muscles,not your hand strength,and your grip will give out long before the large muscles of the back have been taxed enough to make progress.

On arm day,after training bi`s and tri`s,then do forearms and grip work.

They don`t ask you to display your grip on stage but they do ask for 2 different mandatory back poses.

Maddy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbigs Watchdog

Wait a minute...it's not ALL just "grip strength" that can be corrected.  Some people have small hands, fingers aren't long, giving them a grip disadvantage.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with using straps to help work the target muscle without having a "weak link" interfere.  Leave the strengthening of the grip, hands, forearms for the end...

Are your hands/fingers so small they cannot fit around a standard Olympic bar? or a handle for the cable attachments?

untamedsense

• Getbig II
  • Bigger, Better, Badder!!!
Are your hands/fingers so small they cannot fit around a standard Olympic bar? or a handle for the cable attachments?

This is a question from an ignorant viewpoint.  Even Bill Kazmier (sp?) states often in strongman events the importance of hand size...and these people have MORE than large enough hands to fit the bars/attachments you're mentioning.
A parallel question would be:  Are your back muscles so weak you only want/can use the weight your hands/grip can hold?
The simple fact is, if you're working a muscle, there's no need to be hindered by the weakest link.  If you have options to be able to take yourself to higher levels lifting, you do so.  Obviously, this is from a muscle building/bodybuilding stand point...not a strength athlete.

In the muscle building/bodybuilding game, if you want to gain the most possible, there's no place for the "be a man" mentality...
Those who play with cats; expect to get scratched!

chaos

• Getbig V
This is a question from an ignorant viewpoint.  Even Bill Kazmier (sp?) states often in strongman events the importance of hand size...and these people have MORE than large enough hands to fit the bars/attachments you're mentioning.
A parallel question would be:  Are your back muscles so weak you only want/can use the weight your hands/grip can hold?
The simple fact is, if you're working a muscle, there's no need to be hindered by the weakest link.  If you have options to be able to take yourself to higher levels lifting, you do so.  Obviously, this is from a muscle building/bodybuilding stand point...not a strength athlete.

In the muscle building/bodybuilding game, if you want to gain the most possible, there's no place for the "be a man" mentality...

Powerlifting/bodybuilding/strongman are all different, Deicide specfically states he is working on strength, you're speaking about bodybuilding..........tw o different disciplines. In strongman hand size is very important, I would think it rare to find a powerlifter or bodybuilder with hands so small they don't fit around the bar. :P  For bbing purposes, I can see using straps, for powerlifting or strongman I can't see using them consistantly, maybe once in a great while.

I guess strength, I am just a hobby weightlifter, nothing more.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
not my 4arms. As seen in my video

[ Invalid YouTube link ]