Author Topic: "Breathing squats"?  (Read 16019 times)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
"Breathing squats"?
« on: June 18, 2011, 01:26:49 AM »
How exactly are you supposed to do them?

Are they beneficial for muscle growth?

Im thinking of trying those. Since Im fed up with straight sets + heavy weight, I want to try smthing new.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: "Breathing squats"?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 01:38:37 AM »
You take a weight where you can perform 10 reps,then you do 20 reps with it come hell or high water.

These are the famous 20 rep breathing squats,you could use a different rep scheme bur they have to be high or there would be no need for the "abnormal" breathing.

OK you take 3 deep breathes,and do a rep this way each time..............after getting the original 10,now the hard stuff begins.................. ......3 deeps breathes,eke out one more rep and so on until you hit 20 or failure but you should adjust the poundage so approximately 20 can be performed.

You will more than likely be sucking in more than 3-5 deep breaths as the set progresses but this is normal.

Touted as an exercise that would melt fat off a sumo wrestler and make an anorexic kid build gargantuan size.

In my opinion,one all out gut busting set of these..............(and they have to be very hard and done with blackout concentration like your fucking life depended on hitting 20 reps) is a real bastard and very result producing.

As the reps go on,more breaths are needed bewteen reps as a rule..............one agonizing shaky rep at a time no matter how long it takes to get to 20. (Personally if you hit 17-18 reps,I wouldn`t sweat it much as long as they really kicked the shit out of you...........the 20 is jst a goal or it should be IMO, but failure (17-18 reps) in this game is one of the few times that means you won by failing....because you gave it all you had)

Tough way to train!!

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 01:43:55 AM »
Thanks wes!

How many sets in total shoul i do?

Do you prefer them in the end or in the beggining of a workout...or even a whole workout based on those?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 01:51:16 AM »
Thanks wes!

How many sets in total shoul i do?

Do you prefer them in the end or in the begining of a workout...or even a whole workout based on those?
They recommend only one all out gut busting set...................it has to really make you wonder if you can live through it!  ;D

That`s how hard it truly has to be.

IF I did it,I`d do the one set,followed by a Giant-Set of moderate weight leg exercises all done in a row for one set too,............I`d adjust from there going by my bodys feedback

Hard to say just do your normal 1015 sets for legs as it is supposed to be brutal the way I described.

The old timers would only do that one set for sure.............seemed to be something magical about it as far as results go........prolly stimulated your bodys natural test level,natural GH level,and worked on your metabolic rate.

This is real old school...........I mean back before even my ancient ass was born!!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 01:52:55 AM »
Sorry start legs with them as they should kill you,then adjust your workout depending on how you feel if you decide to do more stuff.

I like more volume personally though I`ve probably overtrained all my fruiggin` life because of it.  :)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 01:53:23 AM »
They recommend only one all out gut busting set...................it has to really make you wonder if you can live through it!  ;D

That`s how hard it truly has to be.

IF I did it,I`d do the one set,followed by a Giant-Set of moderate weight leg exercises all done in a row for one set too,............I`d adjust from there going by my bodys feedback

Hard to say just do your normal 1015 sets for legs as it is supposed to be brutal the way I described.

The old timers would only do that one set for sure.............seemed to be something magical about it as far as results go........prolly stimulated your bodys natural test level,natural GH level,and worked on your metabolic rate.

This is real old school...........I mean back before even my ancient ass was born!!

Is this famous Tom Platz vid a "breathing squat" set?

looks tough.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 01:58:54 AM »
Kind of..........he didn`t take the deep breathes in between each rep the fucking animal!  LOL  ;D

Something about the 3-5 deep breathes between the reps that stimulated progress.

I bet jpm could add more info..........guy knows his shit,in the meantime once I wake the fuck up and have more coffee,I`ll Google some shit to see if I could find more info................ (or you could if you feel sorry for old groggy fucks like me)  ;D

Just wanted to say bro,you`re a good guy..................... .....I must be having a fucking Midiol moment or something!!  ;D

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 03:08:02 AM »
Kind of..........he didn`t take the deep breathes in between each rep the fucking animal!  LOL  ;D

Something about the 3-5 deep breathes between the reps that stimulated progress.

I bet jpm could add more info..........guy knows his shit,in the meantime once I wake the fuck up and have more coffee,I`ll Google some shit to see if I could find more info................ (or you could if you feel sorry for old groggy fucks like me)  ;D

Just wanted to say bro,you`re a good guy..................... .....I must be having a fucking Midiol moment or something!!  ;D
I think the diet makes you sensitive. lol  ;D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 03:17:14 AM »
I`m telling you man I`ve been a sensitive bitch lately!!    :(

I hope I don`t burst out in tears in public again today like I did yesterday!  LOL   ;D

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 09:46:48 AM »
i did these for a while... i didnt realy start the deep breathing until i hit the 11th rep, take a few deep breaths an d knock out 3 reps, take some more big gasps of air and knock out 2 reps and so on,,,, leaves u shaking in a total state afterwords...

same protocol works well on hacks to, i used to go upto 30 reps( 15 reps striaght, then the rest breathing style) to finish leg day off, not on same workout as the 20 rep squats tho...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 09:50:56 AM »
Wes gives an excellent description of the 20 rep breathing squat.

Might add a few points to this protocol. There are two versions of breathing squats. First is using a lighter weight, 100lbs or so, keeping this weight for all future workouts. Mark Berry developed this system probably 80-90 years ago. Second method is adding weight (usually 2 1/2's) each workout, working up to some impressive weight after a while. J. C. Hise (best I know) developed this system. If new to trying breathing squats, might suggest a light weight (100lb) to become accustomed to the breathing and the higher reps.  Either light or heavy, both can give results, depending of the level of development desired.

You breath through the mouth (never the nose) heavily, expanding the upper chest with air. Another reason to use a light weight is to get use to the breathing pattern, some can become dizzy with a heavier weight at first. Take about 3 to 4 workout to get use to the breathing and style of the squat. Than begin adding weight.

Do a set of light straight arm pullovers (20 reps) after a set of squats. Suck in as much air as you can. If your young enough (mean average 24 years) the cartilage has not matured and set to a harden state. Which means that a rib box expansion (to the chest) can be expected. 1 to 2 inches gain in over all chest measurements are common (expect more in some people). The breast bone can become sore, during and after a hard set of breathing squats (even days after). Take advantage of this stretch by adding the pullover right after for an even more stretch. (this is not bone growth or enlargement but the cartilage between the ribs themselves..which some get confused with)

Breathing squats are a form of the Rest/Pause system. You will be taking 5 to 8 deep breaths during the last part of the set. Take as many breath/rest between reps as you need, just make the goal of 20. Some hit 30 or more reps per set. Going to find that this form of squatting becomes more of a 50-50 physical and mental effort.  Only do one set of squats, if done correctly that is all that is needed.  Just to note,you may be praying for death after the 18 rep but keep on going. Suggest doing these in a PR/cage or have a couple of guy's stand by. Add 2 sets of benches, presses & row..that's it. Try 2 times a week workout, to see how the body adjust.

When I began training ,with serious intent, at 16 I gained just about 30lbs in 8 weeks. And lost around my waist. The chest/rib box gained quite well also.  Polynesian genetic do help, but many a football player has gained 10 to 25 lbs in a somewhat short period of time with this style training protocol.

Some have applied this method to DL's. I have use it with cleans (PR or floor) and found it an exceptional movement. Even have done the pullover (bent arm) in this breathing style an had gotten surprising good results, like lats, triceps and chest. The pullover is the upper body squat, as Jones suggest years ago. Good Luck.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 11:10:45 AM »
Might add I got some good old school advice from my two uncles. Plus them both yelling in my ears, "one more rep'"over and over again. Best option is to have people around who can motivate to go beyond what you think you can do.

Drank a gallon (4 quarts during the day, between meals..hint, sip rather than chug-a-lugging it) of whole milk. Peanut butter on whole wheat bread, sometimes with honey, etc. Doing the squats and getting ready for the coming football season, at that time, put me in some of the best shape of my life. No drugs (never have) only old fashion hard work. Good luck.
F

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 11:19:43 AM »
Are they good for thigh growth? or will they give me more cardiovascular benefits?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
You take a weight where you can perform 10 reps,then you do 20 reps with it come hell or high water.

These are the famous 20 rep breathing squats,you could use a different rep scheme bur they have to be high or there would be no need for the "abnormal" breathing.

OK you take 3 deep breathes,and do a rep this way each time..............after getting the original 10,now the hard stuff begins.................. ......3 deeps breathes,eke out one more rep and so on until you hit 20 or failure but you should adjust the poundage so approximately 20 can be performed.

You will more than likely be sucking in more than 3-5 deep breaths as the set progresses but this is normal.

Touted as an exercise that would melt fat off a sumo wrestler and make an anorexic kid build gargantuan size.

In my opinion,one all out gut busting set of these..............(and they have to be very hard and done with blackout concentration like your fucking life depended on hitting 20 reps) is a real bastard and very result producing.

As the reps go on,more breaths are needed bewteen reps as a rule..............one agonizing shaky rep at a time no matter how long it takes to get to 20. (Personally if you hit 17-18 reps,I wouldn`t sweat it much as long as they really kicked the shit out of you...........the 20 is jst a goal or it should be IMO, but failure (17-18 reps) in this game is one of the few times that means you won by failing....because you gave it all you had)

Tough way to train!!
without rst you go from the squats and do a set of pullovers,if you do these at the right age you can expand your ribcage.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 01:44:09 PM »
pullovers right after squats
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 01:45:26 PM »
then you get a chest like this
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 03:02:23 PM »
Are they good for thigh growth? or will they give me more cardiovascular benefits?

Both.
They require strength, but also stamina/endurance; you'll be breathing like a steam engine before it's done - provided you're doing it properly.

If you go this route, be sure to consume lots of water, good food, and get ample rest.
You may even want to up the Zinc & Vitamin B-6.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 06:40:57 PM »
Great input JPM,Monty,and Funk51......I forgot about the straight-arm pullovers right after the squats for ribcage expansion.

Of course it was 4:30 in the AM and I just woke up.

Not that I really need an excuse.........can`t remember jackshit these days anyway!

Good stuff guys!  :)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 11:35:03 PM »
Im going to try them with a lighter weight.

2 plates, I normaly do them for 15-17 reps.

Im going to try getting those extra 3-4 reps with the deep breaths, only to get used to it, then move on to heavier weights.

this upcoming friday.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 08:35:43 AM »
Wes gives an excellent description of the 20 rep breathing squat.

Might add a few points to this protocol. There are two versions of breathing squats. First is using a lighter weight, 100lbs or so, keeping this weight for all future workouts. Mark Berry developed this system probably 80-90 years ago. Second method is adding weight (usually 2 1/2's) each workout, working up to some impressive weight after a while. J. C. Hise (best I know) developed this system. If new to trying breathing squats, might suggest a light weight (100lb) to become accustomed to the breathing and the higher reps.  Either light or heavy, both can give results, depending of the level of development desired.

You breath through the mouth (never the nose) heavily, expanding the upper chest with air. Another reason to use a light weight is to get use to the breathing pattern, some can become dizzy with a heavier weight at first. Take about 3 to 4 workout to get use to the breathing and style of the squat. Than begin adding weight.

Do a set of light straight arm pullovers (20 reps) after a set of squats. Suck in as much air as you can. If your young enough (mean average 24 years) the cartilage has not matured and set to a harden state. Which means that a rib box expansion (to the chest) can be expected. 1 to 2 inches gain in over all chest measurements are common (expect more in some people). The breast bone can become sore, during and after a hard set of breathing squats (even days after). Take advantage of this stretch by adding the pullover right after for an even more stretch. (this is not bone growth or enlargement but the cartilage between the ribs themselves..which some get confused with)

Breathing squats are a form of the Rest/Pause system. You will be taking 5 to 8 deep breaths during the last part of the set. Take as many breath/rest between reps as you need, just make the goal of 20. Some hit 30 or more reps per set. Going to find that this form of squatting becomes more of a 50-50 physical and mental effort.  Only do one set of squats, if done correctly that is all that is needed.  Just to note,you may be praying for death after the 18 rep but keep on going. Suggest doing these in a PR/cage or have a couple of guy's stand by. Add 2 sets of benches, presses & row..that's it. Try 2 times a week workout, to see how the body adjust.

When I began training ,with serious intent, at 16 I gained just about 30lbs in 8 weeks. And lost around my waist. The chest/rib box gained quite well also.  Polynesian genetic do help, but many a football player has gained 10 to 25 lbs in a somewhat short period of time with this style training protocol.

Some have applied this method to DL's. I have use it with cleans (PR or floor) and found it an exceptional movement. Even have done the pullover (bent arm) in this breathing style an had gotten surprising good results, like lats, triceps and chest. The pullover is the upper body squat, as Jones suggest years ago. Good Luck.
Have you Medical proof of this? I mean that you can stretch your cartilage so much? i donīt believe it.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 12:15:05 PM »
Have you Medical proof of this? I mean that you can stretch your cartilage so much? i donīt believe it.
you have to do it at a young  enough age before your bones stop growing. don't always go by what the medical community tells you. doctors used to say that steroids don't work. we all know how wrong a statement that is.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 06:17:54 PM »
Actually that's a common medical fact, regarding the cartilage and it's elastic property's, while still in that state of flux. Maturity will set and harden that cartilage. Main reason you chest is not the same size as it was as a child; cartilage growth and expansion. But if you wish not to accept these reality's, that is you choice and pleasure.

There are also simple stretches/exercises that may increase shoulder width, related to the same above principle. Think all gymnastic are born with extra wide and impressive shoulders?  Good Luck.
F

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
you have to do it at a young  enough age before your bones stop growing. don't always go by what the medical community tells you. doctors used to say that steroids don't work. we all know how wrong a statement that is.
They also used to tell you to avoid lifting weights at all costs.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 07:36:26 PM »
They also used to tell you to avoid lifting weights at all costs.

They also told me that doing "something" too much would make me go blind, but I only did it until I needed glasses.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 04:57:04 AM »
Well ok...you men could have a point :)