Author Topic: Parental Discipline or Child Abuse?  (Read 17485 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Parental Discipline or Child Abuse?
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2013, 02:49:24 PM »
WTF?  You wouldn't say the dad's a piece of shit? I think the majority of people in this day and age would disagree with you on that point after watching the video. 

It's not just that he's spanking his daughter.  It's that he's doing it in anger (pretty sure I heard him say, "Bend over or I'll hit you in the fucking face") to a girl who is 16 years old.  What the hell kind of person is he trying to raise? 

If anyone deserves a beating, it's the father.  He is definitely a POS.

It depends which "majority of people" you were talking to.  There are geographical and cultural differences when it comes to corporal punishment.  What some people think is abuse, others view as normal.  The kind of discipline you saw in the video has been and is being used by parents since forever. 

Disciplining in anger isn't abuse either.  Some psychologists actually advocate that you do it in anger (without abusing your kid). 

I didn't discipline my kids the way this guy did, but I'm not going to judge his methods.  I know way too many good parents who used (and continue to use) that method. 

But times have changed.  I remember the principal and vice-principal at my school having a paddle hanging on the wall, that they actually used.  Today, that would land him or her in jail.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2013, 01:10:22 PM »
This is criminal.

Heaviest 5-year-old recorded in UK taken into custody
Published December 09, 2013

Britain's fattest five-year-old has been taken into care after weighing in at more than 143 pounds, or at least three times the weight of what is expected of a healthy child.

Child protection experts told the Sunday Times the case was "a tragedy", expressing disbelief that action was not taken sooner by the local council.

The newspaper says the girl was seized in Newport, south Wales, in August last year weighing approximately 145 pounds – heavier than any 5-year-old of either sex recorded in an English school since 2008. Typically, girls that age weigh about 42 pounds.

Newport city council said the decision was made purely because of the girl’s obesity.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/12/09/heaviest-5-year-old-recorded-in-uk-taken-into-custody/?intcmp=obnetwork

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2013, 02:03:15 PM »
this kid was supposedly 10 stone (140lbs) at 3 years old

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2014, 10:21:03 AM »
Spanking of 8-year-old girl for cursing was not excessive, court rules
Published July 21, 2014
Associated Press

CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. –  A state appeals court has ruled that a Long Island father used reasonable force when he spanked his 8-year-old son for cursing at an adult.

Newsday says the state Appellate Division dismissed a child neglect proceeding against the man last week.

The father had used the disciplinary action in October 2012 during a party at a friend's house.

The Suffolk County social service department alleged he used an open hand and a belt on the boy's buttocks, legs and arms after they got home. A county family court found him in neglect.

But the appellate division said under the circumstances the spanking "did not constitute excessive corporal punishment." It said there was insufficient evidence to prove he hit his son with a belt.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/21/spanking-8-year-old-girl-for-cursing-was-not-excessive-court-rules/?intcmp=latestnews

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2014, 04:11:33 PM »
Vikings running back Adrian Peterson indicted for child injury
BY SI WIRE
Posted: Fri Sep. 12, 2014

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has been indicted on charges of child injury in Texas and a warrant has been issued for his arrest.

According to MyFOXHouston, the charges are for "reckless or negligent injury to a child."

The Vikings deactivated Peterson for Sunday's game against the New England Patriots.

Peterson's attorney Rusty Hardin released the following statement:

“Adrian Peterson has been informed that he was indicted by a grand jury in Montgomery County, Texas for Injury to a Child. The charged conduct involves using a switch to spank his son. This indictment follows Adrian’s full cooperation with authorities who have been looking into this matter. Adrian is a loving father who used his judgment as a parent to discipline his son. He used the same kind of discipline with his child that he experienced as a child growing up in east Texas. Adrian has never hidden from what happened. He has cooperated fully with authorities and voluntarily testified before the grand jury for several hours. Adrian will address the charges with the same respect and responsiveness he has brought to this inquiry from its beginning. It is important to remember that Adrian never intended to harm his son and deeply regrets the unintentional injury.”

CBS Houston obtained a draft of the police report where Peterson admitted that he did “whoop” one of his children last May while the boy was visiting him in Houston. The boy's mother took him to a doctor when he returned to Minnesota.

According to the police report, Peterson hit the four-year-old boy with a tree branch after removing all the leaves. The doctor told investigators that the boy had "a number of lacerations on his thighs, along with bruise-like marks on his lower back and buttocks and cuts on his hand."

The doctor also reportedly described some of the marks as open wounds and termed it “child abuse.” Another person who examined the boy called the cuts “extensive.”

The boy was interviewed by authorities, who reportedly told them "Daddy Peterson hit me on my face." He also told them he had been hit by a belt and that “there are a lot of belts in Daddy’s closet.”

The punishment happened after the boy pushed another one of Peterson’s children off of a motorbike video game, according to the police report.

The Vikings released a statement Friday saying they are "in the process of gathering information regarding the legal situation involving Adrian Peterson" and defer any questions to Hardin at this time.

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports that Peterson has been cooperating with investigators. Glazer adds that the indictment means Peterson will have to turn himself in.

According to Glazer, Peterson testified in front of a grand jury on Aug. 21. He reportedly told investigators that it was a "normal spanking" and not excessive. A grand jury decided not to indict him on Sept. 4 before he was indicted by a second grand jury a week later.

Statement from the Montgomery County Sheriff's Department:

"An unknown police department called the City of Houston police department with a complaint of child endangerment, and Houston referred it to the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office where the alleged case occurred. Montgomery County investigated a complaint of “injury to a child” and referred the case to the district attorney. The DA then handed the case to the Grand Jury."

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/12/adrian-peterson-child-injury-indictment

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2014, 07:24:30 AM »
Peterson enters no contest plea
Updated: November 4, 2014
ESPN.com news services

Minnesota Vikings star Adrian Peterson avoided jail time Tuesday in a plea agreement reached with prosecutors to resolve his child abuse case.

Under the agreement approved by Montgomery County state District Judge Kelly Case and announced during a scheduled court hearing, Peterson pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge of reckless assault.

Case deferred a finding of guilt for two years while imposing a $4,000 fine and 80 hours of community service on Peterson.

Vikings Rushing OK Without Peterson
Adrian Peterson has missed a total of 10 games since the beginning of the 2013 season. But the Vikings have fared pretty well in their running game without Peterson. Minnesota is averaging more rushing yards per game as a team and has scored more rushing touchdowns in games that Peterson has not played in since the beginning of last year.

Peterson   Other RBs
Games   15   10
Rush yds PG   89.4   114.8
Yds per rush   4.5   4.4
Yds after cont.   607   429
Rush TD   10   13
-- ESPN Stats & Information
"I'm just glad this is over," Peterson said shortly after Tuesday's plea deal was announced. "I can put this behind me, and me and my family can move forward."

Peterson was indicted in September on a felony charge of injury to a child for using a wooden switch to discipline his 4-year-old son earlier this year in suburban Houston. The All-Pro running back says he never intended to harm his son and was disciplining him in the same way he had been as a child growing up in East Texas.

The boy suffered cuts, marks and bruising to his thighs, back and on one of his testicles, according to court records. If convicted of felony child abuse, Peterson could have faced up to two years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

"I truly regret this incident," Peterson said. "I take full responsibility for my actions. I love my son more than anyone you could even imagine, and I'm anxious to continue my relationship with my child."

The NFL and the Vikings have not yet announced whether they will suspend Peterson, who already has missed eight games with pay this season under the terms of the commissioner's exempt list.

League spokesperson Brian McCarthy did not offer a timetable for when the NFL will make a decision, telling ESPN's Ben Goessling that the league "will review the court documents."

Last month, a visiting judge denied a request by prosecutors to remove Case as judge in the case. Prosecutors had accused Case of being biased against them and wanted a new judge appointed.

The plea deal made moot a pending motion by prosecutors to revoke Peterson's $15,000 bond for alleged marijuana use.

We all know the kind of person he is. We've stood behind him this whole time. You'd be crazy not to welcome him back into that locker room. It would be a big pickup for this locker room being we have so many young guys.

- Vikings tight end Kyle Rudolph, on teammate Adrian Peterson
The NFL Players Association expects that the league will punish Peterson as it would any other player determined to be guilty of a misdemeanor, league sources told ESPN's Ed Werder.

The union will likely argue, sources told Werder, that Peterson, who has been paid his full salary of nearly $5.3 million in his absence, should be reinstated and perhaps forced to pay a substantial fine. Only commissioner Roger Goodell can reinstate Peterson from the exempt list, meaning the two could be required to meet.

Carolina Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy, who is facing a trial for a domestic violence charge, also was placed on the exempt list in September.

Both players agreed as part of a deal that they would be ineligible to play until their cases are adjudicated, but that they would receive full compensation until that time.

Once Goodell reinstates Peterson, presuming the commissioner eventually does so, the Vikings would either have to allow the running back to return to the team or be required to release him.

Vikings general manager Rick Spielman declined to comment on Peterson during his midseason news conference Tuesday.

"All I'm going to say is basically at the appropriate time, and I know you guys can appreciate this, we'll keep all of our comments under the Adrian situation until it's appropriate to speak," Spielman said. "And I'll just leave it at that."

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer was asked about Peterson on Monday as the team began its bye week, and he made it clear he judges Peterson based on his own personal interactions and considers him to be "top-notch, first-class."

Several prominent Vikings players said Tuesday they'd be excited to have Peterson back on the roster, adding that the running back wouldn't have to do anything to regain trust in the locker room.

"We all know the kind of person he is," tight end Kyle Rudolph said. "We've stood behind him this whole time. You'd be crazy not to welcome him back into that locker room. It would be a big pickup for this locker room being we have so many young guys. Any time you can have a veteran back in that locker room, the leader that he is in the locker room, out on the practice field, would be huge for us.

"Guys have chatted amongst each other, and I don't think there's anyone in that locker room that would need to hear from him. We all know the kind of person Adrian is, and I feel like he's proven that over his time here."

A prolific player at his position, Peterson set an NFL record with 296 rushing yards against San Diego on this date in 2007.

The case revived a debate about corporal punishment, which is on the decline in the U.S. but still widely practiced in homes and schools.

Corporal punishment is legal in every state. The Texas Attorney General's office notes that belts and brushes "are accepted by many as legitimate disciplinary 'tools,'" but "electrical or phone cords, boards, yardsticks, ropes, shoes, and wires are likely to be considered instruments of abuse."

Texas law says the use of non-deadly force against someone younger than 18 is justified if a parent or guardian "reasonably believes the force is necessary to discipline the child or to safeguard or promote his welfare."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11819670/adrian-peterson-minnesota-vikings-enter-plea-lesser-charge-felony-child-abuse-charge-avoid-jail

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2014, 02:29:10 PM »
Union: Adrian Peterson to appeal ban
November 18, 2014
ESPN.com news services

Adrian Peterson has been suspended without pay for at least the remainder of this season.

The NFL announced its highly anticipated ruling Tuesday morning, stating that the Minnesota Vikings' star running back will not be considered for reinstatement before April 15, 2015, for violating the league's personal conduct policy.

The league said it informed Peterson of the ruling in a letter from commissioner Roger Goodell, who spelled out a path for his return to the field.

The Vikings have six games left this season. The league's enhanced disciplinary policy calls for a six-game suspension for first offenses of assault, battery or domestic violence. Aggravating circumstances warrant higher levels of discipline, and Goodell's letter to Peterson spelled that out.

But a league source told ESPN's Ed Werder that it is "very possible" that Peterson could return to the field for this Sunday's game against the Green Bay Packers, pending a ruling by the independent arbitrator in Monday's grievance hearing.

The NFL Players Association quickly announced its plan to appeal and sharply rebuked what it calls the league's inconsistency and unfairness in the process.

If arbitrator Shyam Das rules in favor of Peterson, he could play while his appeal of Tuesday's suspension is heard, according to rules laid out in the NFL's collective bargaining agreement. Goodell, under the CBA, would decide who hears Peterson's appeal.

Another source told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that if Das decides Peterson should be reinstated, the issue will become more complex and "there will be many lawyers involved."

You have shown no meaningful remorse for your conduct. When indicted, you acknowledged what you did but said that you would not 'eliminate whooping my kids' and defended your conduct in numerous published text messages to the child's mother. You also said that you felt 'very confident with my actions because I know my intent.' These comments raise the serious concern that you do not fully appreciate the seriousness of your conduct, or even worse, that you may feel free to engage in similar conduct in the future.

- Excerpt from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's letter to Adrian Peterson
Peterson was indicted in September on a felony charge of injury to a child for using a wooden switch to discipline his 4-year-old son earlier this year. The All-Pro pleaded no contest to a lesser charge of misdemeanor reckless assault Nov. 4, setting the stage for the NFL's ruling.

Peterson was placed on a special exempt list at the sole discretion of Goodell on Sept. 18, essentially paid leave while his case went through the legal system.

The NFLPA said Peterson was told that would count as time served for any suspension levied, citing an unnamed NFL executive. League spokesman Brian McCarthy told The Associated Press in an email that Peterson's stay on the exempt list was taken into account.

"There were aggravating circumstances that led to the discipline announced," McCarthy told the AP.

The league's statement included excerpts of the letter written by Goodell, who has required that Peterson undergo counseling and treatment in order to be reinstated.

"We are prepared to put in place a program that can help you to succeed, but no program can succeed without your genuine and continuing engagement," Goodell wrote in the letter. "You must commit yourself to your counseling and rehabilitative effort, properly care for your children, and have no further violations of law or league policy."

The Vikings also released a statement, saying they "respect the league's decision and will have no further comment at this time."

Peterson's case revived a debate about corporal punishment, which is on the decline in the U.S. but still widely practiced in homes and schools. Peterson has repeatedly claimed that he never intended to harm his son and was disciplining him in the same way he had been as a child growing up in East Texas.

Goodell, however, expressed concern in his letter that Peterson does not "fully appreciate the seriousness" of his conduct.

"You have shown no meaningful remorse for your conduct," Goodell's letter said. "When indicted, you acknowledged what you did but said that you would not 'eliminate whooping my kids' and defended your conduct in numerous published text messages to the child's mother. You also said that you felt 'very confident with my actions because I know my intent.'

"These comments raise the serious concern that you do not fully appreciate the seriousness of your conduct, or even worse, that you may feel free to engage in similar conduct in the future."

The boy suffered cuts, marks and bruising to his thighs, back and on one of his testicles, according to court records. Goodell cited those injuries in his letter to Peterson.

"The difference in size and strength between you and the child is significant, and your actions clearly caused physical injury to the child," Goodell's letter said. "While an adult may have a number of options when confronted with abuse -- to flee, to fight back, or to seek help from law enforcement -- none of those options is realistically available to a four-year-old child.

"Further, the injury inflicted on your son includes the emotional and psychological trauma to a young child who suffers criminal physical abuse at the hands of his father."

The NFL stated that Peterson and the union did not provide the league with information that "would be relevant to evaluating Peterson's conduct." The league also claimed that Peterson, his representatives and the union would not participate in a disciplinary hearing that had been scheduled for last week.

The union responded with its statement, which cited a "credibility gap" within the NFL's disciplinary process.

"The decision by the NFL to suspend Adrian Peterson is another example of the credibility gap that exists between the agreements they make and the actions they take," the NFLPA statement said. "Since Adrian's legal matter was adjudicated, the NFL has ignored their obligations and attempted to impose a new and arbitrary disciplinary proceeding.

"The facts are that Adrian has asked for a meeting with Roger Goodell, the discipline imposed is inconsistent and an NFL executive told Adrian that his time on the commissioner's list would be considered as time served. The NFLPA will appeal this suspension and will demand that a neutral arbitrator oversee the appeal. We call on the NFL Management Council to show our players and our sponsors leadership by committing to collective bargaining so a fair personal conduct policy can be implemented as quickly as possible."

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith echoed those sentiments during an interview Tuesday on ESPN Radio's "Mike & Mike," accusing the NFL of "making it up as they go along."

"Our initial reaction is that the process that the NFL has employed since the beginning of the season has been arbitrary, inconsistent and uneven," Smith said. "You get the feeling that the NFL, over the past few months, has been simply making it up as they go along. That is something that is not in the best interest of the game, the players, or the sponsors."

Peterson received support from Vikings teammate Jerome Felton, both on Twitter and in comments to ESPN's Josina Anderson. Felton said this issue goes beyond Peterson and should concern all NFL players.

"The players need to stand together," the fullback told ESPN. "[Suspensions] can't just be some arbitrary number that they come up with. There needs to be a set policy, and it's something that is followed, and it needs to be collectively bargained. If it's not, then there are always going to be issues. There will always be fighting and there will always be lawyers."

Goodell announced Aug. 28 that the league would toughen punishment for players involved with domestic violence. That action stemmed from a torrent of criticism for the initial leniency toward former Ravens running back Ray Rice following a caught-on-camera knockout punch of the woman who is now his wife.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11896187/adrian-peterson-minnesota-vikings-suspended-least-rest-season

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2015, 11:49:29 AM »
 :o

Snellville barber offers 'old man' haircuts for misbehaving kids
Posted: Feb 04, 2015 6:22 AM HST
Updated: Feb 05, 2015 12:21 AM HST
By David YirchottCONNECT
SNELLVILLE, GA (CBS46) -

Have a kid who is acting out and out of control? Three days a week, a Snellville barbershop offers a free haircut called the "Benjamin Button Special," that'll make your misbehaving child resemble a senior citizen.

A picture of the cut was posted to Instagram by Russell Fredrick, who owns A-1 Kutz in Snellville and goes by the name Master Barber Rusty Fred on the social site.

The picture was accompanied with the following text:

"So you wana act grown...well now you can look grown too👴. The grown-up kids special by: @rusty_fred GOT TO REACH EM SOMEHOW.... #ittakesavillage #thiscantbelife #hairloss #rusty_fred #rustyfred #toughlove #lessons #learningexperience #tryme #grownkids #kidsbarber #barberlove #barbergame #a1 #a1kutz #a1kidzz #a1__kutz #hair #haircut #naturalhair #barbershopconnect #lifelessons #yougonelearntoday"

In an interview with the Washington Post, Fredrick -- who has three children -- said he decided to promote the cut after he gave his 12-year-old son a similar old-man haircut and the boy's grades "dramatically skyrocketed."

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/28022916/snellville-barber-offers-old-man#ixzz3QtyY1p7M

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2015, 07:11:57 AM »
I see nothing wrong with it...some think it is shaming but I think shame is a big part of instilling discipline

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2015, 07:28:45 AM »
Having to humiliate your kid so they try hard in school is a failure in parenting. 

Even the best parents fail from time to time.  Lol

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2015, 08:41:36 AM »
Not sure exactly what I think about this, but I can see it being a great motivational tool.  Certainly worked for that barber's kid.  Not something I would have done, but I wouldn't call it abuse.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2015, 02:16:44 PM »
Having to humiliate your kid so they try hard in school is a failure in parenting. 

Even the best parents fail from time to time.  Lol

disagree

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2016, 02:41:23 PM »
Education Secretary Urges States to End Corporal Punishment
By Theodore Bunker   |   Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016

The Obama administration is calling for the end of corporal punishment in the states and counties where it is still allowed, The Washington Post reports.

Education Secretary John B. King, Jr., wrote a letter to governors and leaders in state schools calling corporal punishment "harmful, ineffective, and often disproportionately applied to students of color and students with disabilities," and asked them to "eliminate this practice from your schools, and instead promote supportive, effective disciplinary measures."

Corporal punishment is banned in 28 states and the District of Columbia, but there are 15 states where it is still permitted, and seven where it has not been outlawed.

According to a study published in January from the Brookings Institution, 80 percent of corporal punishment that occurs in schools takes place in Mississippi, Texas, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee and Oklahoma.

"First, black students are more likely to be located in states that use corporal punishment extensively. Second, in many states black students are disproportionately likely to be singled out for corporal punishment," wrote Dick Startz, U.C. Santa Barbara economics professor and the researcher behind the report.

"Notably, the very acts of corporal punishment that are permissible when applied to children in schools under some state laws would be prohibited as criminal assault and battery when applied to adults in the community in those very same states," King said.

Randi Weingarten, president of the American Federation of Teachers, and Fatima Gross of the National Women's Law Center joined King in a conference call to reporters Monday, where they argued that corporal punishment is not useful.

It often has a negative impact on improving behavior and academic achievement, and that it is often minor infractions such as tardiness that result in physical punishment.

"What we know is that these sorts of severe discipline policies don't work. They leave students feeling unwelcome and unsafe at school," Gross said. "Corporal punishment of adults has been banned in prisons and in military training facilities and it's time we do the same for our nation's schoolchildren."

Weingarten argued that corporal punishment should have been outlawed "by all 50 states years and years ago," and that Donald Trump's administration should publicly oppose physical punishment.

"This is not just a Nov. 15 issue," Weingarten said. "This is a Jan. 21 issue. It doesn't actually matter who the secretary of education is or what people's view is about the election. This is a moral matter.

"This is a matter that we must all be — I don't care if you're a Republican or a Democrat, a conservative or a progressive — we must all be about safe and welcoming places for all students."

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/education-secretary-urge-states/2016/11/22/id/760183/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2021, 04:49:35 PM »
Forcing a 2 year old to wear a mask to protect him/her from a virus that has almost a zero percent change of killing the child sounds like child abuse to me.