Author Topic: CM Punk?  (Read 19359 times)

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
CM Punk?
« on: June 28, 2011, 07:29:23 PM »
Whether this was a work or not, one of the best promo's I've ever seen.  Gets very close to the bone with some of the ego's behind the scenes...

He was apparently 'suspended' last night, and they've now come to an agreement for him to work out his contract.  I'm still not entirely sure whether this whole thing was planned or not.

leaky_frog

• Getbig III
Re: CM Punk?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 08:45:29 AM »
What a great work!  Hope it's the start of something fantastic!

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 12:13:04 PM »
IMO, the answer to whether or not it was a work lies somewhere in between.

Clearly, the speech was planned, but, I believe he went beyond the script. I can't see why WWE creative would mention other promotions and include John Laurinitis, who isn't even known by the casual fan.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 12:25:14 PM »
IF it was a work, can't believe that the WWE would play that much to the "smarks"  should have learned that lesson from WCW.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 01:07:05 PM »
IF it was a work, can't believe that the WWE would play that much to the "smarks"  should have learned that lesson from WCW.

WCW was ridiculous with their damned "worked shoots."

FFS...

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 01:08:53 PM »

WCW was ridiculous with their damned "worked shoots."

FFS...

i never understood why they tried so hard to please such a small part of the fanbase?  Remember Madden constantly making comments about how little the "smarks on the internet" know? 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 01:24:28 PM »
i never understood why they tried so hard to please such a small part of the fanbase?  Remember Madden constantly making comments about how little the "smarks on the internet" know? 

I never cared for Madden's announcing, and frankly, failed to see why they replaced Heenan with him.
I know "management" (for lack of a better word) wanted a younger, more "MTV" look, but young & hip is NOT what I think of when I hear and especially see Mark Madden.

I remember watching a Rick Steiner match one night in which Rick wasn't being too cooperative.
Madden made the comment: "Man, look at Steiner. He's not selling any of those punches!"
It makes me think of watching a shoot out scene in Die Hard and hearing Bruce Willis say, "Man, that squib barely had any blood in it!"

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 01:37:51 PM »

I never cared for Madden's announcing, and frankly, failed to see why they replaced Heenan with him.
I know "management" (for lack of a better word) wanted a younger, more "MTV" look, but young & hip is NOT what I think of when I hear and especially see Mark Madden.

I remember watching a Rick Steiner match one night in which Rick wasn't being too cooperative.
Madden made the comment: "Man, look at Steiner. He's not selling any of those punches!"
It makes me think of watching a shoot out scene in Die Hard and hearing Bruce Willis say, "Man, that squib barely had any blood in it!"

Madden was just a fat slot who looked like he would stink if you got too close.  He added nothing to the broadcasts and was just another example of how badly the WCW was run.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 01:41:24 PM »
Madden was just a fat slot who looked like he would stink if you got too close.  He added nothing to the broadcasts and was just another example of how badly the WCW was run.

He also SOUNDS fat when you hear him talk.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 04:28:18 PM »
This is definitely a good angle. If this was a shoot, he would not have been "suspended"...

I wonder if his "contract end date" is a work as well...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 04:42:03 PM »
Jim Ross made the following comments regarding Punk's "shoot" on JRsBarBQ.com:

"CM Punk's show closing promo on MNR is still seemingly the talk of the wrestling biz. It was the best promo that I've heard on TV in years. Can't say it was the definitive 'best ever' but it ranks among the best that I can recall. Steve Austin, who cut some memorable promos in his day, was extremely impressed with Punk's work as were several other great promo men such as JBL and Mick Foley…

Punk says that he is leaving after the MITB Ladder Match PPV in Punk's hometown of Chicago in July. He also says he's leaving WWE with the WWE Title. Those two elements certainly should make for some compelling TV on Monday Night Raw. Whether Punk wins or doesn't win the WWE Title is a hill I choose not to die upon but Punk staying in WWE is something that I personally hope happens in some shape, form or fashion."

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 08:26:48 PM »
Source: PWInsider

- Sources report that CM Punk's entire promo at the end of RAW this week was improvised by Punk and not scripted. Nobody in the back knew what Punk was going to say until he said it live on RAW.

WWE officials told Punk to go out and say in his own words why he was leaving the company, why he wanted the WWE Title and why he wanted to leave with it in his possession. There was a discussion that when officials felt Punk was going too far, they would pull the plug on the segment and cut his mic.

It's said that Punk was upset months ago when Triple H came back to feud with The Undertaker and while some of his comments on RAW towards Vince McMahon were well thought out to appear not as a shoot to the average viewer, most believe that Punk's comments towards Triple H and John Laurinaitis were strictly a shoot.

Word also is that Punk had some notes for his speech jotted down on his wrist tape.

As far as his contract status, Punk's deal apparently expires the second week of July but he signed an extension to work through Money in the Bank. Still with last night's new storyline development, sources maintain that Punk is leaving at Money in the Bank.

I watched it again, and it's still awesome.  It's been a long time since I've actually looked forward to seeing how things play out with a storyline.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 03:34:09 AM »
Just read on another board that Lesnar, Heyman and Cobana are working on something with the WWE, possible new faction????

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
Just an absolute great promo.  Goes to show letting a guy who can work the mic actually say what he wants to say instead of what was scripted by writers and it comes across that way.  There is just something different about a wrestlers delivery when its his own thoughts and words.....because lets face it, they are "ok" actors but anybody who has watched any of them in movies understands that they aren't great at it. 

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 07:34:14 PM »
Just read on another board that Lesnar, Heyman and Cobana are working on something with the WWE, possible new faction????
Lesnar has to finish with UFC first, no way in hell will Dana let Brock do anything with WWE until then.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 08:43:01 PM »
Who is John Laurinitis?

Animal's brother, used to wrestle as Johnny Ace.  He's in charge of Talent Relations now.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 06:15:53 AM »
The Observer-
According to a reliable source in WWE, there was some significance CM Punk mentioning Brock Lesnar, Paul Heyman and Colt Cabana during his shoot promo on RAW - as each of them could be working with WWE again in the coming months.

Heyman and Lesnar have reportedly either made a deal or are at least in very serious negotiations to have a business relationship with WWE. Regarding Lesnar, word is that he won't be wrestling and won't be a TV character, should he establish a business relationship with WWE again. Heyman would start working with the company again under a deal similar to Lesnar.

As for Punk's WWE future, the creative team has been told that he's finishing up at Money in the Bank and most feel that he is still leaving. During his negotiations with WWE Punk recently asked for his friend Colt Cabana to be re-hired and put on the main roster.

WWE still has an offer on the table, so we shall see.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 06:41:05 AM »
Dwyane "The Rock" Johnson has responded to the WrestleMania comment CM Punk made during his Raw promo this week by posting the following on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/TheRock:

"CM Punk: it's simple business - The Rock is the main event at Wrestlemania cause it draws more money in one night, then u will in lifetime."

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 05:37:02 PM »
Truth hurts. It all comes down to the number$. The Rock just laid the smacketh down.
Real.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 11:08:32 AM »
From Angle's twitter a few days ago... He didn't even mention Angle?

anglefoods1 Kurt Angle

CM Punk had classic promo last night. Good for Him. But if U ever say another word about Me again, Ur toast! If U don't believe Me, try Me!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 11:30:14 AM »
from pwtorch arena report in Australia:

7). John Cena beat C.M. Punk to retain the WWE Title in 26:00. This was much better to watch than Cena vs. R-Truth earlier in the tour. They showed good chemistry in the ring and it was fun to watch. I am glad they changed up the matches tonight. About mid-match, Punk removed a turnbuckle cover. Later, he was able to throw Cena head first into it, but only got a two count. After a ref bump, Cena locked in the STF, but couldn't get the win. Punk broke free, hit Cena in the head with the belt, a second ref ran in, and Punk only scored a nearfall again. Cena was then able to deliver the Attitude Adjustment, but again a nearfall. He went for the AA again, launched him high, and Punk landed on his feet. He then did the Go To Sleep for a nearfall. Punk went up top for a cross-body, which Cena absorbed, rolled through, and then power lifted him up for AA #3. This finally got the pin!

Post-match, Punk took the mic and spoke highly and respectfully of Cena. He then cut a promo on 'Dwayne,' explaining "that is The Rock for those of you who watch bad Disney movies." He said that while Dwayne is off making movies, Cena is here in sickness and health ready to perform for the fans. Punk offerred a handshake, which Cena accepted. Punk did say that July 17 was his day!

As Punk left, Cena returned the love and respect for Punk, calling him the best wrestler in the company right now. He then said to the crowd that they had witnessed a special moment tonight, but Vince McMahon was all about stopping these types of moments!

Cena promised that the MITB match with him and Punk will be the biggest match of the year, finishing with "and sorry Rock, this will be bigger even that WrestleMania." A few more pleasantries and that was it for the show!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 08:57:57 AM »
The most obvious way for McMahon to stick it to both Cena and Punk (storyline-wise):

McMahon interferes in the match and has Cena lose to Punk; Cena gets fired.

Then, McMahon has new Nexus (or somebody else) beat the mess out of the new WWE champion.

And, in keeping with tradition, the Raw MITB winner cashes the briefcase on a near-lifeless Punk.

Cena gets canned; Punk leaves; WWE title stays put; Mr. McMahon is happy!!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 02:01:23 PM »
According to Dave Meltzer, there are clues that CM Punk might be turning babyface in the near future.

First, WWE has recently trademarked Punk's name for merchandising. For those of you wondering, Punk gave WWE the rights to use the name but he can still use it himself if he leaves the company.

Second, in a match with John Cena during WWE's tour of Australia, Punk worked as a babyface and put over Cena after the match.

Meltzer speculates that Vince McMahon's promo on the taped RAW was designed to get Punk over as a babyface and the company wants Punk to be cheered in Chicago at the Money in the Bank PPV. It's possible that, when/if Punk returns, he'll be the #2 babyface on RAW next to Cena and hopefully appeal to the male demographic that Cena doesn't attract.

There's talk that there will be a Vince McMahon/CM Punk confrontation on RAW this Monday but nothing is confirmed at this point.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 10:07:01 PM »
Once again, Punk shows why he's the best in the world at the moment.  The guy is gold right now.  Vince must have signed him up already, otherwise why allow this kind of angle?

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 05:54:43 PM »
Once again, Punk shows why he's the best in the world at the moment.  The guy is gold right now.  Vince must have signed him up already, otherwise why allow this kind of angle?
Both segments were perfect. Hot crowd, Punk and Vince played their roles perfectly. Cena was great in the first segment but his second promo was lackluster.