Author Topic: Christian Nation  (Read 18430 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: Christian Nation
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2011, 10:50:19 AM »
I am not putting words in your mouth. Go back to the replies I referenced by number and examine what you said. That serves the same purpose as me quoting you and is much easier to read. You keep avoiding it. I have nothing else to say that wouldn't be restating what I've already said.

I am probably obsessed with winning this argument. That is because I have done my homework in this area and I have had this same argument many times before. I'm sorry loco, but as already shown in my last post, you have failed in this thread. If you want to come out on top, you need to restate your point in explicit detail. IF your point is only that some people that lived in the united states were christian, then that is a very different claim from saying the United States was founded on christian principles (as you claimed it in fact was in reply #2 but changed later on as evidenced by my last post). In my last post I brought up every point you made and showed how every one of those points has been answered.

I think it's demeaning to Christianity to claim sexist, violent, bigoted, murdering, raping, slave owning, etc men had christian principles in mind when founding this country.

your move stud.

Yes you are putting words in my mouth and you are not quoting me.  It is not my fault that you are Internet Forum illiterate.  It is actually easier to use the "Quote" feature because it includes a link that one can click and be redirected to the actual post one is quoting.  Look:

"Arguing on the Internet is like the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you are still retarded."

See how easy that is?    ;)

I've already clearly stated my point and given an abundance of reasons for it.  Go back and actually read what I've posted, and try your best not to forget what you read before you reply.   ::)

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2011, 11:22:15 AM »
Yes you are putting words in my mouth and you are not quoting me.  It is not my fault that you are Internet Forum illiterate.  It is actually easier to use the "Quote" feature because it includes a link that one can click and be redirected to the actual post one is quoting.  Look:

See how easy that is?    ;)

I've already clearly stated my point and given an abundance of reasons for it.  Go back and actually read what I've posted, and try your best not to forget what you read before you reply.   ::)

If that is your only reply, that I should actually quote Replies #2, #15, etc, in one post instead of saying "Reply #2" and "Reply #15" etc, then that is the end of this thread. You really have nothing else going for you. You do know those "In Reply..." all referred to just this one thread, right? It's not that hard to click back and see what you said in reply 2, 15, etc.

You have not clearly stated your point. You have had many different points (as I pointed out) and you even changed some of those points (as I pointed out). I'm not sure if you're just being a dick, or you dont understand my long reference post (Reply #72), or you really just don't have any further arguments. Except that "it's just the internet dude"

End of thread.

Let's recap: 1) The United States is not a Christian Nation 2) The United States was not founded on Christian principles 3) Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and Ben Franklin were not christians. 4) John Adams and John Jay may have been Christians  5) There are a lot of christians living in the United States today  6) Some Christians were once on the supreme court. 7) Many people believe the United States was founded on Christian principles

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2011, 11:46:25 AM »
If that is your only reply, that I should actually quote Replies #2, #15, etc, in one post instead of saying "Reply #2" and "Reply #15" etc, then that is the end of this thread. You really have nothing else going for you. You do know those "In Reply..." all referred to just this one thread, right? It's not that hard to click back and see what you said in reply 2, 15, etc.

You have not clearly stated your point. You have had many different points (as I pointed out) and you even changed some of those points (as I pointed out). I'm not sure if you're just being a dick, or you dont understand my long reference post (Reply #72), or you really just don't have any further arguments. Except that "it's just the internet dude"

End of thread.

Let's recap: 1) The United States is not a Christian Nation 2) The United States was not founded on Christian principles 3) Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and Ben Franklin were not christians. 4) John Adams and John Jay may have been Christians  5) There are a lot of christians living in the United States today  6) Some Christians were once on the supreme court. 7) Many people believe the United States was founded on Christian principles

Man, you are either lazy or you lack reading comprehension.  I did clearly state my point, and I have changed nothing.  Quote me if you dare and stop putting words in my mouth.  I thought the Mr. Magoo thing was just an Internet name, but maybe you are an old, blind man with dementia.  And I am not "being a dick", but you are.  I don't appreciate you posting over and over that I said the US is a Christian nation when I actually said the opposite from the beginning, and all the other stuff you claim that I did and said.  Go back and actually read my posts.    ::)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2011, 12:08:22 PM »
3) Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and Ben Franklin were not christians.

Now that's very interesting!  

Why Have Scholars Underplayed George Washington’s Faith?

Historian Peter A. Lillback, Ph.D., is president of The Providence Forum, president of Westminster Theological Seminary, and senior pastor at Proclamation Presbyterian Church in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. He is the author of the bestseller George Washington’s Sacred Fire (2006, Providence Forum Press).

Within this vast collection of Washington’s own words and writings, we now have a remarkable ability to uncover what earlier scholars were unable to access. And when we let Washington’s own words and deeds speak for his faith we get quite a different perspective than that of most recent modern historians. Washington referred to himself frequently using the words “ardent,” “fervent,” “pious,” and “devout.” There are over one hundred different prayers composed and written by Washington in his own hand, with his own words, in his writings. He described himself as one of the deepest men of faith of his day when he confessed to a clergyman, “No Man has a more perfect Reliance on the alwise, and powerful dispensations of the Supreme Being than I have nor thinks his aid more necessary.”

Rather than avoid the word “God,” on the very first national Thanksgiving under the U.S. Constitution, he said, “It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor.” Although he never once used the word “Deist” in his voluminous writings, he often mentioned religion, Christianity, and the Gospel. He spoke of Christ as “the divine Author of our blessed religion.” He encouraged missionaries who were seeking to “Christianize” the “aboriginals.” He took an oath in a private letter, “on my honor and the faith of a Christian.” He wrote of “the blessed religion revealed in the Word of God.” He encouraged seekers to learn “the religion of Jesus Christ.” He even said to his soldiers, “To the distinguished Character of Patriot, it should be our highest Glory to add the more distinguished Character of Christian.” Not bad for a “lukewarm” Episcopalian!

Historians ought no longer be permitted to do the legerdemain of turning Washington into a Deist even if they found it necessary and acceptable to do so in the past. Simply put, it is time to let the words and writings of Washington’s faith speak for themselves.

http://hnn.us/articles/34925.html

What we did prove, and quite conclusively, is that Washington cannot be called a Deist—at least, not in a sense that excludes his being Christian. Although he did most often address God in the proper names a Deist might use—such as "Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be" and "Disposer of all human events"—the actions that Washington expected God to perform, as expressed both in his official public prayers (whether as general or as president) and in his private prayers as recorded, are the sorts of actions only the God of the Bible performs: interposing his actions in human events, forgiving sins, enlightening minds, bringing good harvests, intervening on behalf of one party in a struggle between good and evil (in this case, between liberty and the deprivation of liberty), etc. Many persons at the end of the 18th century were both Christians and Deists. But it cannot be said, in the simpleminded sense in which historians have become accustomed to putting it, that Washington was merely a Deist, or even that the God to whom he prayed was expected to behave like a Deist God at all.

Michael Novak - Washington’s Sun God: Reviewing a review. National Review Online, March 14, 2006

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/217044/washingtons-i-sun-i-god/michael-novak

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2011, 02:54:53 PM »
Stop this already. I have already pointed you to a new book and a new york times article discussing the myth around George Washington's religion. That article you posted by a preacher, is wrong. (Needless to say, I never called Washington a deist, I said he is not a Christian as we understand the term today; of course you know that is completely compatible even if George Washington stood on top of a mountain and shouted "I am a Christian" 400 times a day. Of course, He never admitted to being a Christian, nor really discussed his faith).

Please read back over my posts in this thread, find the title of that book, and read it. Stop google searching to prove me wrong, politics and political philosophy is my area of interest Loco.

You are wrong. How many times do I have to say this or prove it before you'll stop this childish nonsense. I'm beginning to think you aren't being sincere and are just trying to get on my nerves.

This thread is already finished. The conclusions have already been stated.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2011, 03:49:10 PM »
Stop this already. I have already pointed you to a new book and a new york times article discussing the myth around George Washington's religion. That article you posted by a preacher, is wrong. (Needless to say, I never called Washington a deist, I said he is not a Christian as we understand the term today; of course you know that is completely compatible even if George Washington stood on top of a mountain and shouted "I am a Christian" 400 times a day. Of course, He never admitted to being a Christian, nor really discussed his faith).

Please read back over my posts in this thread, find the title of that book, and read it. Stop google searching to prove me wrong, politics and political philosophy is my area of interest Loco.

You are wrong. How many times do I have to say this or prove it before you'll stop this childish nonsense. I'm beginning to think you aren't being sincere and are just trying to get on my nerves.

This thread is already finished. The conclusions have already been stated.

QFT

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2011, 12:06:32 AM »
I can't believe I spent 10 minutes doing this. But here.

These are your points:
In reply #2: You said “Founded on Judeo-Christian principles” as a fact.

Reply #2, 4, 8, 11: You only sought to show that America has/had Christians in it

In Reply #13, you discussed the treaty of Tripoli (Which you have noticed I have left out of my own discussion. My point can be made without referring to that document)

In Reply #15: You said the founders were Christian, and you told P.I.P to follow the link to see the evidence that they were Christians.

In Reply #22, you quoted Thomas Jefferson and John Adams to show that they were Christians

In Reply #23, you did the same for George Washington; #24, you did the same for Ben Franklin

In Reply #30 and #31, you talked about the buildings of courthouses and how Congress opens up with prayer

In #32, you cited a Supreme Court case

In #43 you changed your point from Reply #2 by saying “I am showing why so many people believe that the US was founded on Judeo-Christian principles

In #43, you changed your point from Reply #15 by saying “I have no idea whether or not the founding fathers trusted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior”

In #44, you cited John Jay’s claim to be a Christian

Once again in #54 you changed your point from #2 by saying “I am giving you an abundance of reasons why so many people inside and outside the US believe that the nation was founded on Judeo-Christian principles.”

In Reply #63, you said “IF the U.S. Government is atheist, then why…”

This is how I have responded to those points:
First you said for certain the U.S. was founded on Christian principles. I asked you to explain this in detail, you still have not done this. I agreed with your point that there are Christians that live and have lived in the United States, that is a given. I disproved your next point that the founders were Christians, but I granted that John Adams was, and John Jay was. However, those are not enough. I disproved your point about Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and Ben Franklin. Buildings of courthouses and Congress praying does not mean this country was founded on Christianity. If I said the only reason they pray is to appeal to Christian voters, that would be equally valid, but it would also disprove that this country was founded on Christian principles as opposed to politicians appealing to voters. I said the government is secular, not atheist. Also the Supreme Court has made decisions both supporting and refuting your argument, so appealing to them is not enough. You need to reformulate your point on what Christian principles exactly was the slave owning/raping, native American killing, sexist, violent, prideful founders of this country held near and dear to their heart.

checkmate?

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2011, 05:13:43 PM »
Government/Worldly Religion.....Same thing.

Whats that one verse in the bible??

" Every sperm is sacred.................. .." ?

True. SPERM IS SACRED too GOVERNMENT/WORLDLY RELIGION. All about REPRODUCTION. MORE PEOPLE EQUALS MORE MONEY for the government-(worldly religion)

SPERM=$$$$$$$$$

Whats that other verse also...........

" Do not conform to the world but instead conform by the renewing of your mind..............?"

WORLDLY RELIGION is conformity. Its conformity to the world and its religious believes.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2011, 11:54:32 AM »
The modern motto of the United States of America, as established in a 1956 law signed by President Dwight D Eisenhower, is In God We Trust.

http://www.treasury.gov/about/education/Pages/in-god-we-trust.aspx

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2011, 12:13:17 PM »

Whats that other verse also...........

" Do not conform to the world but instead conform by the renewing of your mind..............?"

WORLDLY RELIGION is conformity. Its conformity to the world and its religious believes.

;D

Romans 12:2

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.

Government/Worldly Religion.....Same thing.

Whats that one verse in the bible??

" Every sperm is sacred.................. .." ?

I don't remember ever reading that one  ???  Can you please post the scripture?
R

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2011, 01:35:23 PM »
The modern motto of the United States of America, as established in a 1956 law signed by President Dwight D Eisenhower, is In God We Trust.

http://www.treasury.gov/about/education/Pages/in-god-we-trust.aspx

God, not Jesus?

Does God belong to Christianity exclusively?  I thought the title of the thread was Christian Nation, not Religious Nation? ???

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2011, 04:20:06 PM »
I don't remember ever reading that one  ???  Can you please post the scripture?

It's right after the one that says "Don't go swimming for an hour after you eat or you'll get cramps"    ;D

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2011, 05:24:33 PM »
3) Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and Ben Franklin were not christians.

Now that's very interesting!  If Benjamin Franklin was not a Christian, then what was he, a deist?  I deist would not have said the following:

Benjamin Franklin

Letter to Messrs, the Abbes Chalut, and Arnaud, 17 April 1787:

Constitutional Convention, 1787:
In the beginning of the contest with Britain, when we were sensible of danger, we had daily prayers in this room for Divine protection. Our prayers, Sir, were heard, and they were graciously answered. All of us who were engaged in the struggle must have observed frequent instances of a superintending Providence in our favor.… and have we not forgotten this powerful Friend? Or do we imagine we no longer need His assistance? I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth: “that God governs in the affairs of man.” And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? …

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2011, 06:27:26 PM »
Loco, I'm done with this thread. You can keep google searching for little lines here and there taken out of context to try to unravel some mystery that supports your religious beliefs, but it's a waste of time. Whatever point you was trying to prove is wrong. It looks like you're google searching each person trying to find a hint here and a hint there. I've spent a lot of time on this subject and I have talked it over with several political theorists/historians/literature professors/political philosophers, etc. This is my field. No one I have talked to agrees with the point that I think you are trying to make. The only people I have seen try to depict the founding fathers as bible carrying, jesus believing, born again christians who we today should emulate are christians (or Fox news employees) without any background knowledge in the subject.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2011, 06:39:58 PM »
Loco, I'm done with this thread. You can keep google searching for little lines here and there taken out of context to try to unravel some mystery that supports your religious beliefs, but it's a waste of time. Whatever point you was trying to prove is wrong. It looks like you're google searching each person trying to find a hint here and a hint there. I've spent a lot of time on this subject and I have talked it over with several political theorists/historians/literature professors/political philosophers, etc. This is my field. No one I have talked to agrees with the point that I think you are trying to make. The only people I have seen try to depict the founding fathers as bible carrying, jesus believing, born again christians who we today should emulate are christians (or Fox news employees) without any background knowledge in the subject.

Mr. Magoo,  you are just a name on the Internet.  You may just as well tell us that you have  Ph.D s in American History, in Philosophy, Politics, Religion and it wouldn't make a difference.  You are not presenting evidence of anything, just telling me to go read a book.    ::)

Happy Independence Day, commonly known as the Fourth of July!    ;D

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2011, 07:08:49 PM »
In the Spirit of July 4th:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
    Self-evident, as in not from a Bible or a preacher. Evident by nature, not to be interpreted from a book.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
    Not really all men. Only white men who owned land, etc

Men, not women.

Endowed by their creator. No mention of God of judeo-christian. No mention of Jesus. For example, Aristotle talked about a Creator but he did not believe in God nor Jesus.

Life is not an inalienable right. It has been taken away from many for a long time. At the time of the declaration, capital punishment/slavery/etc was widely used, so it was not even true in that time.

See how taking things out of context serves no purpose?. What is written down in a sentence on paper does not always reflect what is the objective reality. These were slave owning/raping, native american killing, sexist, prideful men who advocated a violent overthrow of government. If I showed you a group of people like that now, I highly doubt you would dare call them "Christian".

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2011, 10:33:56 PM »
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Again, do those terms belong exclusively to Christianity? 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2011, 05:49:29 AM »
In the Spirit of July 4th:

Self-evident, as in not from a Bible or a preacher. Evident by nature, not to be interpreted from a book.

Not really all men. Only white men who owned land, etc

Men, not women.

Endowed by their creator. No mention of God of judeo-christian. No mention of Jesus. For example, Aristotle talked about a Creator but he did not believe in God nor Jesus.

Life is not an inalienable right. It has been taken away from many for a long time. At the time of the declaration, capital punishment/slavery/etc was widely used, so it was not even true in that time.

See how taking things out of context serves no purpose?. What is written down in a sentence on paper does not always reflect what is the objective reality. These were slave owning/raping, native american killing, sexist, prideful men who advocated a violent overthrow of government. If I showed you a group of people like that now, I highly doubt you would dare call them "Christian".

I thought you were done with this thread:

Loco, I'm done with this thread.

Obsessed much?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2011, 05:52:06 AM »
Again, do those terms belong exclusively to Christianity? 

Yes, in this case!

Mottoes of the American Revolution:

"Don’t Tread on Me"

"Join or Die"

"Liberty or Death"

"NO KING BUT KING JESUS!"

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2011, 07:38:55 AM »
Good article.

(CNN) -- As America celebrates its birthday on July 4, the timeless words of Thomas Jefferson will surely be invoked to remind us of our founding ideals -- that "All men are created equal" and are "endowed by their Creator" with the right to "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." These phrases, a cherished part of our history, have rightly been called "American Scripture."

But Jefferson penned another phrase, arguably his most famous after those from the Declaration of Independence. These far more contentious words -- "a wall of separation between church and state" -- lie at the heart of the ongoing debate between those who see America as a "Christian Nation" and those who see it as a secular republic, a debate that is hotter than a Washington Fourth of July.

It is true these words do not appear in any early national document. What may be Jefferson's second most-quoted phrase is found instead in a letter he sent to a Baptist association in Danbury, Connecticut.

While president in 1802, Jefferson wrote: "Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State ... "
Tattoos and freedom
The framers ... understood the long history of sectarian bloodshed in Europe that brought many pilgrims to America.
--Kenneth C. Davis