Author Topic: Study - Diet Sodas are of no benefit to dieters - I call bullshit  (Read 35694 times)

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
If you're going to drink soda, look for some that have STEVIA in it instead of the other stuff. The gov/was trying to keep stevia off the shelves but too many people smartened up on the benefits of it. I believe coke and pepsi caved and are making or going to make stevia type products.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
Switching from tea to diet soda has plunged me into a one week carb-crave-junk-food-eating-spree after the first day.

I was fine without the carbs, and also the only sweet stuff i had was a protein shake after WO ed, but drinking 500ml of some lemon diet soda made me raid the nearest 7/11 for ice cream, chocolate, more diet sodas and i was fucked for a week....

I don't get that cravings from eating carbs, only from the fucking sweeteners.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
What about diet Snapple? I love that shit. Crystal light???

Crystal Light is in every bodybuilder's fridge that I know.

It's a staple of bodybuilding, just like g4p, tanning, gear, having no job..

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
So I think the theory here is that if your body produces insulin without the presence of glucose to transport, you end up with excess insulin floating in your bloodstream. This in turn may lead to insulin resistance? I see the logic, and I believe when dieting you want to mitigate insulin as much as possible. Insulin and glucagon are inversely related, when insulin is low glucagon (and GH not to mention) are high and vice versa.

It makes sense to me. Nothing sweet seems to be the rule. So just meat water and fruit around training time, little bit of brown rice with meals 1 and 2. That is the diet that I am on right now.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
So I think the theory here is that if your body produces insulin without the presence of glucose to transport, you end up with excess insulin floating in your bloodstream. This in turn may lead to insulin resistance? I see the logic, and I believe when dieting you want to mitigate insulin as much as possible. Insulin and glucagon are inversely related, when insulin is low glucagon (and GH not to mention) are high and vice versa.

It makes sense to me. Nothing sweet seems to be the rule. So just meat water and fruit around training time, little bit of brown rice with meals 1 and 2. That is the diet that I am not right now.

Epic freudian slip by Methyl "pass me the courvoisier" Mike.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
Epic freudian slip by Methyl "pass me the courvoisier" Mike.

Yeah except I have drank 3 times since what early May? Nice try. It took a while, but slowly I have overcome my alcohol addiction. Getting back in shape and getting SUNSHINE every day has helped turn me around.

evandatp

• Getbig IV
  • Haunted4Pay

It makes sense to me. Nothing sweet seems to be the rule. So just meat water and fruit around training time, little bit of brown rice with meals 1 and 2. That is the diet that I am on right now.
So insulin is released in response to what? Aspartame's sweet taste or some chemical reaction to it once it's ingested/digested?

Help a biochemically ignorant brother out, Mike.

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
I don't know about any health issues with diet drink but I do know they taste like shit.

that's reason enough not to drink them.

X2..

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
So insulin is released in response to what? Aspartame's sweet taste or some chemical reaction to it once it's ingested/digested?

The theory (I believe it has not been proven yet) is that your body becomes conditioned to expect glucose when sweetness is detected in something you eat or drink. Thus, consuming anything sweet TASTING may elicit an insulin response to the presumed glucose it is expecting.

Human studies are inconclusive, and I believe I know what the missing puzzle is-that you need to have a history of steadily consuming sugary things, sodas maybe specifically, to obtain this conditioning.

What I mean is, some people drink a shit load of soda. If you take a person who has drunk soda for years in large quantities and have them switch to diet soda, I would assume their body would produce insulin as it always has.

However, if you take a person like me for example who doesn't drink much soda or eat sweet foods and have that person drink a diet soda, they may not see a corresponding spike in insulin levels.

I would think, from here, it might be prudent to take a sample of volunteers from all walks of life, age, gender, whatever, a large sample size possibly 1,000 persons and have them drink a diet soda and then monitor both insulin and blood glucose levels.

I say to measure both because IF insulin is produced it might not be purely from conditioned response but possibly other factors. Anyway, if some persons do in fact see a rise in blood insulin levels, we then check for what they have in common like family history of type 2 diabetes, history of drinking sugary beverages, sugary food, are they obese, young old male female etc. and see what we get.

I have theory that for persons who are or were obese and also definitely anyone with a family history of type-2 diabetes sweetened products may spike insulin levels. Not sure, I do not have enough information, and a legit study has not (to my knowledge) been done. I do believe this is important enough to be researched, artificially sweetened products may be directly contributing to the obesity epidemic, more research needs to be done, but it's an interesting premise IMO..

Also, there are also several other causes for an increase in blood sugar levels. Among them are the 'stress' hormones such as adrenaline, several of the steroids, infections, trauma, and of course, the ingestion of food. SO, POSSIBLY there IF there is in fact a spike in insulin levels when drinking diet soda, it's possible there IS a spike in blood sugar preceding the insulin from some kind of a physiological response such as stress or inflammation, I don't know honestly. However, I will say diet soda's bloat me very badly and I no longer drink them.

I can definitely say I lose fat much faster if I totally abandon anything sweet, drinking on water etc. I think there is really something to this idea that artificial sweeteners can contribute to obesity...Just not sure how, yet...

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
Diet and zero calorie sodas are for people looking to eat the cake and keep it.

I like methyl mike also have the belief that aspartame and sucralose are skimmy.

You shouldn't be looking to substitute sugar, you should decrease intake.

If the product gives the same psychological reward as soda shouldn't that ring an alarm bell?

If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150

any insulin release, which there isnt any, wud be due to the amino acids that make up the sweetener, not to sweet taste. but there may be somethign to wat dk is saying about appetite for some people

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
Diet and zero calorie sodas are for people looking to eat the cake and keep it.

I like methyl mike also have the belief that aspartame and sucralose are skimmy.

You shouldn't be looking to substitute sugar, you should decrease intake.

If the product gives the same psychological reward as soda shouldn't that ring an alarm bell?

If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

DING DING DING

WE HAVE A WINNER FOLKS.

What do I hear time and time again? "Drinking a diet soda kills my cravings for sugar". Imagine that...

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
other than my own post, I haven't read this thread at all so please tell me- are people REALLY trying to argue the point that you will get fat from Diet Soda?

REALLY?!

I mean, I know that people like to troll on these forums/the internet but if you are taking that cause of the actual ingredients in Diet Soda will make you fat then you are either a retard or a troll of Andy Kaufman-esque aspirations

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
other than my own post, I haven't read this thread at all so please tell me- are people REALLY trying to argue the point that you will get fat from Diet Soda?

REALLY?!

I mean, I know that people like to troll on these forums/the internet but if you are taking that cause of the actual ingredients in Diet Soda will make you fat then you are either a retard or a troll of Andy Kaufman-esque aspirations

Try actually reading what some of us (me in particular) have said before you say something ignorant...Also you are drawing the right conclusion (diet sodas may lead to weight gain) but thinking about it the wrong way...If you consider diet sodas may spike insulin levels, you are actually looking at a double whammy- firstly, high blood insulin levels are BAD. You are looking at potential insulin resistance by cells because of over-exposure to it. Second, diet products increase hunger by the insulin release, you see the same thing when you eat a high carbohydrate meal. Here, I have a graph that may help you.

When you eat a high carb meal, your body kicks out insulin. Unfortunately, after the blood sugar has been cleared, there is still insulin present in your bloodstream. What's a lonely insulin molecule to do? It's got nothing to shuttle around! So your blood sugar crashes and goes below baseline, and presto you have carb cravings!!!

So, keeping that fact in mind here, what do you suppose will happen if you consume a beverage which increases insulin without supplying any glucose/calories for the insulin to shuttle?

YOU WILL GET CARB CRAVINGS

I see bad from two sides, hunger creation as well as a decrease in cell's sensitivity to insulin. It seems pretty clear to me...

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150

So, keeping that fact in mind here, what do you suppose will happen if you consume a beverage which increases insulin without supplying any glucose/calories for the insulin to shuttle?

I see bad from two sides, hunger creation as well as a decrease in cell's sensitivity to insulin. It seems pretty clear to me...

blood glucose is very tightly regulated in non-diabetics. hypoglycemia will not occur after even a massive sugar load. in fact mild hyper glycemia would be the case.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
Try actually reading what some of us (me in particular) have said before you say something ignorant...Also you are drawing the right conclusion (diet sodas may lead to weight gain) but thinking about it the wrong way...If you consider diet sodas may spike insulin levels, you are actually looking at a double whammy- firstly, high blood insulin levels are BAD. You are looking at potential insulin resistance by cells because of over-exposure to it. Second, diet products increase hunger by the insulin release, you see the same thing when you eat a high carbohydrate meal. Here, I have a graph that may help you.

When you eat a high carb meal, your body kicks out insulin. Unfortunately, after the blood sugar has been cleared, there is still insulin present in your bloodstream. What's a lonely insulin molecule to do? It's got nothing to shuttle around! So your blood sugar crashes and goes below baseline, and presto you have carb cravings!!!

see, I didn't read anything anyone here said....i'll admit it

you know why...because you're a schmuck if you think that diet soda makes you fat

and "no" i have no proof and i'm not gonna do a google search or post a graph or copy and paste some research by the New England Medical journal

it is something called common sense people.

....and this is where people are gonna post more research telling me that i'm "wrong" and I'll be like "really?!"

seriously....if you see someone the size of Gabourey Sidibe walking down the street are you gonna say to yourself "Wow- she needs to cut down on the Diet Sprite"

again- REALLY?!

Omega

• Getbig III
I avoid anything with aspartame now even chewing gum.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
I avoid anything with aspartame now even chewing gum.
Irrational and not based on science or evidence.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
Irrational and not based on science or evidence.

I agree, chewing gum should hardly be considered.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
blood glucose is very tightly regulated in non-diabetics. hypoglycemia will not occur after even a massive sugar load. in fact mild hyper glycemia would be the case.

I understand you chase hard facts, and I can get behind that, but if there is anything physiology taught me about the human body, it is that the body is SO COMPLEX that it becomes rather difficult to predict future actions and consequences of the things that we do. There are many, MANY unforeseen factors involved in every single thing that we do, and the body has so many systems of such complexity that, like I said, it is difficult to truly predict. Which means, in short, that hard facts can sometimes be misleading, precisely because they can not take unforeseen (or as of yet unknown or misunderstood) factors into the equation.

I know what I see in the mirror. Diet soda's bloat me all to hell. Could be their acidic nature, could be the aspartame, could be the fucking tin can who knows??? I cannot quantitatively explain why I see what I see, just verbalize my feelings and attempt to explain them with the best theories that I can come up with.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.

You have not provided any evidence or any study that links insulin with diet drink consumption directly. Diet sodas do not spike Insulin levels and it is there your whole argument fails.

evandatp

• Getbig IV
  • Haunted4Pay
Thanks for the epic reply, Mike.

The_Leafy_Bug

You have not provided any evidence or any study that links insulin with diet drink consumption directly. Diet sodas do not spike Insulin levels and it is there your whole argument fails.
Hahahah mike gave you the reach around. Instead of explaining how diet sodas cause weight gain he explained what insulin does  ::)