Author Topic: and people have the cheek to say mma is better than boxing.. chuckle !  (Read 12747 times)

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
Boxers clinch very often during a match when things get a little too heated.

Or when theyre gassed.

Lets not ignore the fact that boxing requires a supreme level of conditioning compared to mma.

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
An MMA fighter would own a boxer in an MMA fight.
A boxer would own an MMA fighter in a boxing match.

Not sure why these threads always devolve into this stupid argument.

Your avatar - SHARK vs Bear
 Who wins?
Depends on combatants environment.

Sort of like this MMA vs boxing debate that keeps cropping up every few months :D

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
Or when theyre gassed.

Lets not ignore the fact that boxing requires a supreme level of conditioning compared to mma.

Well... yeah 
3-5 rounds vs 12 rounds. 
A boxer would have to have good cardio or it'll be a short night.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
I like both. Boxing is interesting because of it's limitations - same with wrestling.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
I like both. Boxing is interesting because of it's limitations - same with wrestling.

Yes I think this is why I like boxing more...seems like more of a "sport" with rules and stipulations while MMA is more of a brawl / straight-up fight, which stopped interesting me about the same time I stopped playing Street Fighter games.

Cliff Clavin

• Getbig II
  • It's a little known fact
Boxing is the most corrupt sport on the planet..there has been more fixed outcomes in boxing than all other sports combined..throw in the don kings of the world along with the boxers who claim to be the best yet duck other top competition and you have what boxing is today a dead sport...

what are 8,10,15 year olds watching these days?...trust me its not boxing its mma...when all those kids grow up it will be the nail in the boxing coffin and MMA will be 10 times as popular...the only thing keeping boxing going are the old guys that are holding onto yesteryear...when they die off so does the outdated sport off boxing..

che

• Getbig V
Of course it matters who hits you but we have to compare apples to apples. Meaning the same guy hitting you. BTW, I meant to write that MMA fighter's chin are NOT any weaker or stronger than boxers. They have more targets to protect and more of a chance to leaving the chin open.
How do you compare apples to apples when you are talking about MMA vs Boxing   ???

che

• Getbig V
They have more targets to protect and more of a chance to leaving the chin open.

Are you saying that boxing is easier than MMA  because all you have to do in boxing  is protect your chin   :o

Swede!

• Getbig IV
  • www.letskillsometime.com Direct link in signature
This is a cool video showing the Highest level of groundgame

And the guy with the curly hair is an olympic wrestler. And he literally Dies within 30 sec.
Sweeping Olympic level wrestler without breaking a sweat.

Ali at his best is to boxing what this dude is to jitzzz. But as always with mma, you have to have some experience to understand what you're watching

Swede!

• Getbig IV
Also a cool video,

Natural Man

• Getbig V
edit* the new positive swede aint even gonna bother with threads like these  ;D
spermastase tried a "positive" come back  some weeks ago too. It lasted two days and he became his former mentally troubled self again.

Swede!

• Getbig IV
spermastase tried a "positive" come back  some weeks ago too. It lasted two days and he became his former mentally troubled self again.

Im staying Alot more positive, my old self would have adressed Alot of the comments in this thread since as always in mma thread most of them are retarded lol, now just a few and just adding a few videos lol

you should try the same =) All your negativity is certainly spilling over into your personal life in one way or another

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
I watched boxing for years. Couldn't count the number of times me and the boys stayed up til 3/4am UK time to see a US staged fight.

I've only started watching MMA over the past couple of years, and i started watching just to see knock-outs.

I'm not gonna pretend i'm an MMA expert but i can see more in a fight these days than just two guys brawling. More and more i'm growing to appreciate the skills involved in .

These days i'm far more willing to watch two guys fight it out for 3/5 rounds than two guys paw away at each other for 12. I also find when i watch boxing, i won't watch the whole card, there never tends to be much if any talent on the undercard whereas with for example UFC fight nights, there's a good variety of talent at different weights on view.

Boxing and MMA, apples and oranges like someone already said.

chess315

hell boxers have did worse in mma then almost any other athletes prowrestler have done better and even bodybuidlers/strong man and such have had a few days in the sun. There have been a few nfl palyers to win fights. I cant name one boxer that has done worth a shit lol

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
what are 8,10,15 year olds watching these days?...trust me its not boxing its mma...when all those kids grow up it will be the nail in the boxing coffin and MMA will be 10 times as popular...the only thing keeping boxing going are the old guys that are holding onto yesteryear...when they die off so does the outdated sport off boxing..

Nail in boxing's coffin? You're kidding right?

That's good stuff.  :D

chess315

genraly speaking boxers pose very little threat in a mma match even less then a athletic football player or prowrestler. I would take john cena in a cage fight over mike tyson in a hearbeat lol or warren sapp. Even brock lesnar and kurt angle have made mention to such things

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
I dont know how you can say MMA fighters have the same chins as boxers.
Just look at Oliver Mcall, Erik Morales, Shane Mosley (prime) Antonio Magarito and the list goes on and on. Boxers train to be punched in the face through thousands of rounds of sparring, granted they have better defence but the constant punishment they take in the gym is a strong contributing factor to why they can take a punch so well.

An example:

The infamous incident with Luis Resto boxing Billy Collins Jr without any padding inside the gloves, this is very comparable to a 4oz glove.
Billy Collins took his best punches for 10 rounds without falling or getting knocked out, and people are supposed to tell me that MMA fighters chins (who get knocked out by an uppercut without any leverage via Silva) are even remotely comparable?
aha sure keep dreaming

oh heres a picture of Billy Collins Jr after the fight. Boxers are real fighters, not homos who love to wrestle on the floor.

che

• Getbig V
. Boxers train to be punched in the face through thousands of rounds of sparring, granted they have better defence but the constant punishment they take in the gym is a strong contributing factor to why they can take a punch so well.

Haha , you sound just as ignorant as Swede and all the MMA nuthuggers.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
it takes years and years and years to become good on the ground. Anyone without Years and Years of experience on the ground, either from wrestling or bjj would be submitted/dominated Right away from anyone half ass decent.

So ..no. People that have no clue post like that..  Anyone can get up in a boxing ring and throw a punch. Will they do good again someone decent? no. Same goes for mma.
And no you have never seen anyone with bjj black belt skills in the street.  But I have seen people box and it looks exactly like what boxers do in the ring!! Sounds legit huh? lol.

When I first walked into Rorion's academy in Torrance, CA and watch some of their tapes I didn't get what the big fuss was about. Just two homos rolling around of the ground. When I would watch the same tape years later I would see things that I absolutely missed the first time around. The subtle aspects that I just wasn't sophisticated enough to appreciate at the time.

It was around 2000-2001 that I felt I was at an advance level. That though I wasn't going to beat a world class Jiu-Jitsu champ I was at least going to hang with him. I wasn't going to be his bitch like I use to be. I was going to hold my own. And I started training serious, and I mean it consumed my life and everything revolved around Jiu-Jitsu, in 1991. So you are looking at a good ten years.

Swede!

• Getbig IV
When I first walked into Rorion's academy in Torrance, CA and watch some of their tapes I didn't get what the big fuss was about. Just two homos rolling around of the ground. When I would watch the same tape years later I would see things that I absolutely missed the first time around. The subtle aspects that I just wasn't sophisticated enough to appreciate at the time.

Most people seems to be that ignorant at first, Especially americans, and especially boxing fans. I dont know why. Would be funny to argue with the same type of ignorance boxing fans are using when talking about mma though just for the fun of it , but I dont care that much haha.
But boxing fans seem to care alot more about mma then mma fans does about boxing which is pretty funny to see lol.

Boxers are dragsters and mma fighters are f-1 cars.

pellius

• Getbig V
How do you compare apples to apples when you are talking about MMA vs Boxing   ???

You were talking about punching power and who was doing the punching and the type of gloves worn.

pellius

• Getbig V
Are you saying that boxing is easier than MMA  because all you have to do in boxing  is protect your chin   :o

I'm not sure what you mean by "easier." Easier training? Easier on the body? I am of the opinion that the most brutal "sport" in terms of the toll it takes on your body is professional wrestling. The life style is a killer.

But there is no doubt that in MMA you have to have a much more varied skill set, and that includes boxing. Of course, as with everything in life, there's trade offs because, generally speaking, an MMA fighter is not ever going to be at the level of a boxer in regard to boxing. Just like a boxer will never be at the same level of an MMA figher in grappling.

Boxers have to work their ass off improving their boxing skills. MMA have to spread out their training to encompass other disciplines. But they are both busting their ass. One is just far more specialized. 

Swede!

• Getbig IV
Just like a boxer will never be at the same level of an MMA figher in grappling.

or wrestling or kicking or clinching or elbowing, or throwing knees etc  ;)

SgtSpar

• Getbig III
I disagree ,I've been hit by  4 ,6 ,8 ,10, 12 ,16oz gloves , bare knuckle..etc , it all depend who hits you ,trust me.

C'mon Che, I was obviously talking about the same guy hitting you with different size gloves.  That comment was beneath you.

che

• Getbig V
C'mon Che, I was obviously talking about the same guy hitting you with different size gloves.  That comment was beneath you.
Nah the argument was boxing vs MMA (ko ratio )  not the same guy , BTW I fought boxers that punched like girls and MMA guys with pretty heavy hands , IMHO the size  of the  gloves  (between 4oz  MMA and  say Cleto Reyes 8 oz ) don't make  any  difference ,

Check this out ,Martinez isn't a heavy handed boxer ,   big gloves , 2nd round,  Williams  fresh ""ironchin"" fighter........etc ,  doesn't matter  what size gloves  you are wearing, you don't see the punch coming  you are going to sleep as simple as that.