Author Topic: my bench press blows  (Read 9255 times)

lesaucer

Re: my bench press blows
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 12:05:12 PM »
been doing the dumbbell press for 2 days now.

I will respond back to this in a few weeks.  The program says not to deviate but maybe this will help my bench press in the long run.

I am doing 30lbs dumbbell press in each hand.

damn, watch out so you dont tear a pec with that weight

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 04:39:55 PM »
haha you are funny.  ;D

I could always be one of the guys who grabs the heaviest weights doing half a rep with poor form and calling it quits lol.

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2011, 11:51:45 PM »
my bench press has gone up 15 pounds since I made this topic in July LOL  :-X

my squat has gone up 55 pounds.  feels good man.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2011, 10:34:58 AM »
After seeing the pics you didn't post, I can say I believe your problem lies in your delts, they are very small. I bet your weight for flies is pretty good but your press numbers suck? Work the delts man.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 03:00:47 PM »
chaos that wasn't me in the picture LOL.  I can only wish I had delts like that.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2011, 08:20:37 AM »
chaos that wasn't me in the picture LOL.  I can only wish I had delts like that.
If your delts are smaller than the guy in the picture, you need to work on strengthening your shoulder girdle before you worry any more about your bench.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 02:33:27 PM »
yep past 3 weeks been doing rear delt flyes on a machine and shoulder press machine.  anything else I should add?  I think it's helping.  doing it 2x a week.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 03:41:06 PM »
yep past 3 weeks been doing rear delt flyes on a machine and shoulder press machine.  anything else I should add?  I think it's helping.  doing it 2x a week.
Full range barbell presses, seated and standing, also db's seated and standing.
DB side laterals seated or standing, also throw in front raises, barbell or db's every other week or so.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2011, 09:22:55 PM »
also I do standing military 1-2x a week.  :P

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2011, 08:51:23 AM »
Do warmup well, working to the heaviest weight , doing half reps (with less than by the book form ) may be a start to increasing shoulder girdle strength.  Including 4 to 5 inch partial reps at the lockout position. Add the Press Behind The Neck to the workout, which many top benchers do. The only other overhead press you might alternate with are jerk or push presses. Try working out only twice a week on any pressing (flat/incline/overhead) movement. Try not adding this or that exercise, just stick to the basic stuff, for now. The exception being, the weighted dip. Only an personal view, but I consider the dip a better upper chest/upper body/triceps  movement that the bench.

People have given a lot of good advice since July. Most BB'er would have added at least 20-30lbs to the bench ,for 8 to 10 reps in a normal workout, by now. Not being critical, just factual, judging by some of the lifters I have been around. Not everyone is equipped for big weight in the bench. Lot of massive pecs/chest built with 220 to 240 benches for BB'ers. And than again, 400lb+ for some high school kids, who are just naturals for that lift. Still can't figure out way so many BB'ers seem obsessed with the weight they use on the bench. For a pure BB'er, it should not be that important, but exercise performance is. Good luck.

F

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2011, 08:54:37 AM »
I think it's all psychological.....althou gh it is good to make sure you are working out your full body to its highest potential.....make sure you don't shortchange your back exercises and your legs as well...those body parts really help to determine your overall strength levels..as you get stronger with your other exercises your Bench will go up as well

but you really need to work on the psychological part...when I first started lifting I was stuck on a 135 bench for many many months.....I wasn't weak, but I was afraid of the bar....I thought the bar might come crashing down on me....but one day I said damn it and I loaded the weight on....I automatically went to 185 in one day...now I am at 285 max...you gotta get yourself a spotter and load the weigh on or you will stay stuck like I was

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2011, 09:18:57 AM »
Andreisdaman is right on. Always thought lifting was 50% physical and 50% mental. At times maybe much more mental. Worked with a lot of men who would confess about having a fear of that basic Olympic bar being over them (either lying or standing). Why a lot would rather use DB's or a machines, avoiding that dreaded BB. Women seemed to have that problem to a lesser degree than a few men, very surprising to me.

Also most notable in the squat. With the DL, a lot had the feeling that their back's would break somehow, even with a light weight. I would usually suggest working in a safe PR, to get accustomed to a little heavier weight. Or having a good spotter (or two ) at hand. Once the confidence is built up, the problem seems to go away. Good luck.
F

unrageable

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2011, 05:48:25 PM »
I don't even like bench press.  It's just the fact that it has not improved compared to my other exercises.  I don't like to compare myself to others but there are kids in the gym who bench 20-30 pounds more than me LOL

My squat and deadlift have improved so much.  Those are my 2 favourite exercises.  Bench, not going anywhere.

I tried to go heavier today since you said maybe it's mental.  I slapped 10 more pounds total on.

First set was 7 reps, second was 5, third was barely 3 LOL.

I have tried to tense up.  People I ask say you should be squeezing your quads tight and pushing your stomach out.  Don't think that is helping.  I have kept my legs as close in as I can.  I also dig my shoulder blades in but I don't think that is doing anything.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2011, 06:01:05 PM »
I don't even like bench press.  It's just the fact that it has not improved compared to my other exercises.  I don't like to compare myself to others but there are kids in the gym who bench 20-30 pounds more than me LOL

My squat and deadlift have improved so much.  Those are my 2 favourite exercises.  Bench, not going anywhere.

I tried to go heavier today since you said maybe it's mental.  I slapped 10 more pounds total on.

I have tried to tense up.  People I ask say you should be squeezing your quads tight and pushing your stomach out.  Don't think that is helping.  I have kept my legs as close in as I can.  I also dig my shoulder blades in but I don't think that is doing anything.

thats still good progress...keep loading up that bar and get yourself a spotter...you'll begin to get stronger as you gain confidence

Domthemilky

• Getbig II
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2011, 05:49:51 AM »

Try keeping your traps very very tight and imagine pushing yourself into the bench. I find a fairly close grip is much more suitable for me and after including push presses into my workouts my lockout was alot smoother in the bench press and I could move heavier weights alot easier. But like others have said bench is pretty much mostly triceps and shoulders, work on dips, pressups and overhead pressing and it should go up if you are working hard enough.