Author Topic: The Lone Ranger  (Read 8348 times)

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
The Lone Ranger
« on: July 12, 2011, 09:59:57 PM »
The Luther actress is in talks to play 'Rebecca' in the upcoming Disney remake of The Lone Ranger. Check out the details after the jump!

Deadline is reporting that Ruth Wlison - seen on the TV series Luther and miniseries Jane Eyre - is in talks to join Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp in the upcoming remake of The Lone Ranger. Little is known about her character, but what we do know is that the role is the female lead named Rebecca.

Ruth Wilson is in negotiations to play the female lead in Disney's Lone Ranger, the Jerry Bruckheimer-produced film that stars Armie Hammer as the Masked Man and Johnny Depp as Tonto. Details of her role are sketchy, but it is the female lead by the name of Rebecca.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=41591

bradistani

• Getbig V
Re: The Lone Ranger
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 03:13:35 PM »
god, i loved the lone ranger when i was little.. and i still do now  :D

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 09:19:27 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=42225

Dwight Yoakam, Helena Bonham Carter And More In Talks To Join The Lone Ranger!
As well as the above two actors, Barry Pepper and James Badge Dale are also in talks to join the cast of the upcoming movie, and you can find more about which role they're up for here...
Variety report that Dwight Yoakam, Barry Pepper, James Badge Dale and Helena Bonham Carter are all in talks to join The Lone Ranger. They'll join Armie Hammer, Johnny Depp, Tom Wilkinson and Ruth Wilson in the Gore Verbinski movie from Disney. Here are some excerpts from the site, detailing the roles each of the actors are up for.

Yoakam would play Butch Cavendish, leader of the Cavendish gang and the pic's primary villain, while Pepper would play Captain J. Fuller, the leader of the seventh cavalry.

Dale, best known for starring in "The Pacific" for HBO and AMC's "Rubicon, would play Dan Reid, the Lone Ranger's older brother and leader of the Texas Rangers.

Carter, who is currently lensing Tim Burton's "Dark Shadows," at WB, is still in early discussions -- but if a deal closes, she would play the colorful madam of a local brothel.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 11:20:21 PM »
What I don't get is why the movie has a budget over $200 million.  ???

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=44298

Disney Shuts Down Production On The Lone Ranger; Fate Of Movie Uncertain!
In a truly shocking turn of events, Disney have halted production on The Lone Ranger, which was set to star Armie Hammer in the lead role, Johnny Depp as Tonto and an impressive supporting cast. Find out why here...

I don't think anyone would have seen this coming! After months of impressive casting news, it was believed that work was well underway on The Lone Ranger, but Disney have now decided to halt production on the project altogether. Deadline broke the news just a few minutes ago, and here are a few excerpts from their report. Click on the link below to read more details over on the site.

In a stunning development, Disney has shut down production on The Lone Ranger, the Gore Verbinski-directed film that was to star Johnny Depp as Tonto and Armie Hammer as the title character. Jerry Bruckheimer is the producer. I'm told this all just happened, and Disney pulled the plug because the budget, which the filmmakers reduced from $242 million to $232 million was too expensive for the studio.

This is stunning because Bruckheimer is the long time cornerstone producer on the Disney lot and because Depp has starred in the studio's all time biggest films, including Alice in Wonderland and the Pirates of the Caribbean films. Deep and Verbinski teamed for three of those pictures., grossing billions of dollars for the studio. Verbinski most recently directed Rango, the Paramount film that is a front runner for Best Animated Film Oscar.

The film was scheduled to be released December 21, 2012, smack up against The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which opens December 14, and the Brad Pitt-starrer World War Z, which was just slated for December 21. It's unclear whether that factored into the decision. The studio and filmmakers are trying to figure out the next step, which would either be to shop it elsewhere or put it back together at a later date at a lower budget. Calls to Disney were not returned.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 12:28:50 AM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/debbiedowner/news/?a=44426

Did Werewolves Cause The $250 Million Budget for Johnny Depp's The Lone Ranger?
A source has contacted Hollywood-elsewhere with new information, and provided a revealing page of the script that suggests werewolves as the antagonist. Also, Cowboys and Aliens flopping was the final nail in the coffin.

The reason The Lone Ranger's budget was so astronomically high that Disney execs decided to shut it down was because it's an effects-heavy CG thing due to being a kind of an Indian-spirituality werewolf movie, a.k.a., The Lone Ranger Meets the Wolfman. Yes, I'm serious. A 3.29.09 draft of Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio's script makes it clear it was going to be partially about some kind of Native American wolfbeast tearing victims apart and leaving a bloody mess.

"It was always going to be a big Bruckheimer CG movie with traditional Bruckheimer elements with an eye toward being a tentpole, totally Pirates-style," says a gadfly screenwriter who always hears stuff and has been following the project through postings on writersactionbss.com -- a private writers' website that Elliott has posted on.

"It was never going to be a semi-traditional western...it was never going to be Zorro. It was going to be a Tonto show mainly. Tonto as the top dog and more dominant than the Lone Ranger. Tonto and the Indian spirits like Obi Wan Kenobi and the force. The driving engine was going to be Native American occult aspects worked in with werewolves and special effects. But flavored with doses of Native American spirituality in a serious way."

"But then Cowboys & Aliens came along and tanked and Disney got cold tenderfeet, spooked by the idea of a pricey mashup. If Cowboys & Aliens had made $200 million, this wouldn't be happening. A Bruckheimer-style western in the wake of Cowboys & Aliens is nothing anyone is feeling secure about at this stage. Trust me, the writers of tentpole garbage are all scared now."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Werewolves vs. The Lone Ranger? What the heck is that? Wow! Now I understand why the budget ballooned to $250 million dollars. And I also understand why Disney put a halt to it.

The word of mouth on Cowboys and Aliens was very good, and then the movie was shown and instead of cheers it got jeers. If creative heavyweights like Ron Howard, Brian Grazer and Jon Favreau can't make a successful film mixing the western with a monster (alien) than you can't earmark $250 million to Depp's project.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 08:25:39 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BooYah/news/?a=44601

The Lone Ranger Movie Not Dead?
The Lone Ranger movie still has hope! Click the jump to find out how it's possible.

As most of you know by now the Lone Ranger movie that was going to star Johnny Depp got cancelled due to a big budget. Normally western movie are very low cost but the film was said to have Native American werewolves and "the biggest train sequence in film history".

Well according to comingsoon.net Gore Verbinski, who would have been director if the movie was going to be made, is making moves to lower the ridiculous $250 million budget.

It was also rumored that Verbinski may be dropped altogether as Disney may start from scratch. Although they arent sure if big star Johnny Depp would still be attached.

I know many of you think this is a bad idea but they do have all the pieces to make this a great film. And how about that train sequence they mentioned? That sounds exciting

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 09:22:08 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=44918

The Lone Ranger To Go Ahead WITHOUT Director Gore Verbinski?
Offering an update about the recently delayed movie, Disney executive Rich Ross has mysteriously omitted the name of director Gore Verbinski while talking about the studios plans for the big budget Western...

Talking to Deadline, Disney executive Rich Ross told the site at this weekends D23: "I’m hoping to do it. I’m certainly hoping. I think it’s a compelling story and no one wants to work with Jerry and Johnny more than me so we’ll see how it works." As they point out, the omission of Verbinski may be a telling sign that they'll be moving ahead with the project without him. Here is an excerpt from their report.

Verbinski and Bruckheimer have been working hard to tone down or lose some of the budget-busting spectacular scenes in Justin Haythe's script. At the same time, Bruckheimer as well as reps for Depp and Verbinski have been discussing ways to defer big chunks of their upfront paydays. Salary between all three likely accounts for $30 million or more. And if the trio's back end deals weren't at cash break before, they likely will be now if the film moves forward. Because simply adjusting above-the-line salaries isn't enough to bring down what insiders told Deadline 9 days ago was a $75 million budget gap to get to the $200 million Disney wants to spend on the Western. I've heard since that the studio will agree to make The Lone Ranger at $215 million. One major question is whether Verbinski can deliver at that number and retain enough spectacle "wow" factor to give The Lone Ranger a shot at a big overseas gross and sequels.

With Cowboys & Aliens only grossing $85.6 million domestically during its opening weekend recently and Disney spending around $450 million in total on John Carter and The Great And Powerful Oz, it's understandable that they're unwilling to take a big risk on the pricey Western. What would you guys think about Disney dropping Verbinski from the project? Could that potentially mean that Johnny Depp walks away from the movie as well?

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 10:34:35 PM »
I love the old black and white episodes of the Lone Ranger!!!

Actually met Clayton Moore when I was 8 years old.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 06:58:11 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=46937

The Lone Ranger Likely To Start Production Next Year; Will The Cast Also Return?
It seems that Disney are finally at the point of giving the movie the go ahead, but there have been some casualties! Does that include cast members like Johnny Depp, Armie Hammer and Ruth Wilson? Find all the details here...

Deadline, who have been keeping us updated on the progress of The Lone Ranger since it was first put on hold due to budgetary concerns, now reveal that things are finally looking up for the Disney movie. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Gore Verbinski have managed to bring what the studio feared would be a $250 million budget to a far more manageable level, with the paychecks for them and star Johnny Depp (as well as the production budget and shooting schedule) being the main casualties.

The site reveal that everything should be finalized by next week, and the crew is expected to be rehired then for a production start date of next January or February. Whether this will effect the planned release of December 21, 2012 is unknown (but it more than likely will) although on a brighter note, Johnny Depp (Disney wouldn't make the movie without him apparently) Armie Hammer and Luther;s Ruth Wilson will all return after being cast earlier this year.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 06:59:21 PM »
I've never heard of Armie Hammer before but I was told he played both parts of the twin brothers in The Social Network.

And I was also told that he is one of the major heirs of the Arm and Hammer fortune.

Any truth to this?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 07:23:57 PM »
I've never heard of Armie Hammer before but I was told he played both parts of the twin brothers in The Social Network.

And I was also told that he is one of the major heirs of the Arm and Hammer fortune.

Any truth to this?

No... His dad is Armand Hammer... He owns a production company and had considerable stock in the company Church and Dwight who owns Arm and Hammer, however Arm and Hammer has been around since the 1890s and the Hammer family only immigrated to the US in the 20th century.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 07:47:23 PM »
god, i loved the lone ranger when i was little.. and i still do now  :D

hated the cartoons ..they were so boring

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
No... His dad is Armand Hammer... He owns a production company and had considerable stock in the company Church and Dwight who owns Arm and Hammer, however Arm and Hammer has been around since the 1890s and the Hammer family only immigrated to the US in the 20th century.

He is the great-grandson of industrialist, art collector, and philanthropist Armand Hammer.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 06:52:27 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=47956

Disney Moving Forward With The Lone Ranger
Walt Disney has re-greenlit the troubled Western production, which is set to begin filming early next year. Both Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer will return to the production...check out the details after the jump!
Back in August, Disney shelved its planned film for The Lone Ranger due to its huge budget of $275 mil. at the highest (after Cowboys & Aliens bombed, they were worried about doing a Western film with such a high budget). But now, Deadline (who's been covering progress on the film ever since it was shelved) is reporting that Disney will form a new start date for the Western, with actors Armie Hammer (Lone Ranger), Johnny Depp (Tonto), producer Jerry Bruckheimer, and director Gore Verbinski confirmed to return. The film will begin production early next year in New Mexico, so it definitely won't reach its proposed release date of December 21st, 2012. The new budget for the film will be $215 million, much lower than the proposed $250-275 mil.

Well, it took a week longer than I thought it would, but Disney has finally reached a meeting of the minds on The Lone Ranger with director Gore Verbinski, Johnny Depp and producer Jerry Bruckheimer. The studio is expected to formalize a new start date imminently and announced it has green lit the film that puts Depp back in the saddle as Tonto, with Armie Hammer as the title character. It looked like the studio was going to announce last week when the picture brightened for the film, but it will be this week’s business instead. I don’t think Disney was able to salvage its December 21 release date because production won’t start in New Mexico until early next year.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 03:04:17 AM »

Armand Hammer literally bought the sodium bicarbonate company as a joke!...So when people would ask him if he was the baking soda magnate,...he would be able to say yes.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 03:08:01 AM »
I hope they have the sense to augment the Los Angeles Philharmonic to 150 pieces and have it thundering quotes from every romantic composer for the score...

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 05:43:01 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/debbiedowner/news/?a=49565

Armie Hammer Talks The Lone Ranger and Snow White Movie Mirror, Mirror
The actor that won over critics with his marvelous dual performance as the Winklevoss twins in David Fincher's The Social Network talks about his upcoming roles.

Armie Hammer has been nearing stardom for quite sometime, and it looks like he has finally arrived. In 2007 he was cast in George Miller's Justice League as Bruce Wayne/Batman, but the film never got off the ground.

After his success in The Social Network he landed the plumb role of The Lone Ranger which will also star Johnny Depp, but that too almost didn't get made. Now the project is back on after Disney and directer Gore Verbinski made some highly publicized budget cuts.

That's an interesting role. How do you prepare to play The Lone Ranger?
Well, my researcher is prepping again. She's looking up Texas Ranger lore and Texas history and locations that are in the movie that I want to know about. What the general population would know in the day -- how informed were they? How did they get their news? What sort of education would this guy have? All of those things. So, really, a lot of stuff. I'm excited about getting into it.

You might want to stay away from the 1981 movie 'The Legend of the Lone Ranger.'
[Laughs] Yeah, right! That was the real lame one. Yeah, yeah.

Why are there two Snow White movies coming out next year?
There are two Snow White movies coming out for the same reason that you remember back in the day there was 'Armageddon' and then 'Deep Impact.' You know, 'Andromeda Strain' and then 'Outbreak.' Like, all of those things. It's common because basically studios have no imagination in making the decisions. They go, "Oh, they just had success with that movie, so we'll do a movie like that."

The pictures look nice.
Those pictures aren't even recut. Like, those are just pictures that some guy took on stage. Wait until you see. I've seen little things that after Tarsem [Singh] has done his Tarsem magic on it, those pictures look drastically different. Don't think that's what it's going to look like. It's going to look so much cooler.

The untitled Snow White project that Armie Hammer is playing Prince Charming in has finally gotten a title, Mirror, Mirror.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 10:30:10 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JakeLester/news/?a=50093

The Lone Ranger Filming Under The Name Silver Bullet; Looking For Native American Extras In New Mexico
A recent casting report has revealed that Disney's The Lone Ranger has adopted the shoot name Silver Bullet, and that they are looking for Native American extras to start shooting in New Mexico.
The folks over at Sindication have obtained a casting report for the filming of Gore Verbinski's The Lone Ranger. The report is looking for Native Americans both Male and Female for the shoot of the film, which will be in New Mexico. The report also calls for a Native American boy between the ages of 9-11 for a featured speaking part. Another interesting part on the sheet is that the film will be shooting under the production name Silver Bullet.

From Sindication:

Major Motion Picture, Silver Bullet is currently seeking Native American males and females for featured extra roles to film in the Shiprock New Mexico area.

Individuals who are experienced horse riders are particular encouraged to apply.

The production is also casting for a Native American Boy age range 9-11 for a featured speaking role in the film.

If you meet these specifications, call 505-368-2490 to schedule an audition.

The Lone Ranger is scheduled to start filming in early 2013 and will star Armie Hammer in the title role with Johny Depp as Tonto.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 10:01:37 AM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=55955

After a period of instability the film is off and running. Here's the first look at Johnny Depp as Tonto and Armie Hammer as the titular protagonist.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=55955

After a period of instability the film is off and running. Here's the first look at Johnny Depp as Tonto and Armie Hammer as the titular protagonist.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 12:50:31 AM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=68130

Hi-Yo Silver! First Trailer For THE LONE RANGER Hits!

Armie Hammer was on Jay Leno's talk show last night and he brought along with him the first trailer for Gore Verbinski's The Lone Ranger. Shockingly, it features Johnny Depp wearing a gawdy amount of white makeup, and talking in a funny voice

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 08:30:22 PM »