Author Topic: Is soreness an indication of a good training session?  (Read 7810 times)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Is soreness an indication of a good training session?
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2011, 09:25:45 AM »
DOMS is neither a positive or negative indicator that there is muscle growth/strength improvement. If people wish to believe that DOMS is a good thing, than that is their choice. But wishing never makes it so. There are exceptions to everything, so perhaps Mr Clavin & MrGut are the exception to any human response, recovery and adjustment basic rule. If their goal is to get "sore" every workout, than so be it. And more power to them.

If MrGut is a moderate to heavy drug user (as suggested by his past post) than that exceptional soreness he seeks must be really hard to obtain (on every workout). His workouts must be epic, Good Luck.
F

mrgut

• Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2011, 10:08:33 AM »
I answered the topic starters question. Research, doctors say soreness is a good indicator of a good workout and that is what the question was. The truth is it is... not whether or not progress  cannot be achieved without it. That is why I stand by my replies. Like I said before you don't think its an indicator of a good workout google DOMS... Look at the studies, articles that first come up backing what I say. Where is your proof DOMS is not what I say it is?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2011, 10:32:58 AM »
MrGut: Does your research team suggest (meeting the requirements of DOMS) that this will produce progressive muscle mass & strength gains, from that good workout? Being from long term (3 to 6 months) data, on a workout to workout? And with at least 20 test subjects? All things being equal, a good workout to lab tech people does not always transfer over to experiences lifters in a serious gym. Good Luck.

Side Bar: with your serious drug use, would your success be the same without chemical engineering? Going for DOMs each workout, that is.
F

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2011, 11:04:49 AM »
soreness is definitely an indicator of an intense workout where the muscle is pushed past its limits.

but theres a cut off point where intensity no longer promotes growth but inhibits recovery and gains.

mrgut

• Getbig II
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2011, 12:38:31 PM »
soreness is definitely an indicator of an intense workout where the muscle is pushed past its limits.

but theres a cut off point where intensity no longer promotes growth but inhibits recovery and gains.

Of course. But that was not the topic starters question. I don't kill myself in the gym that's not what I am there to do, however, with a delineated program of what needs to happen when I enter the gym. I.E progressive overload on one or maybe two core exercises, sets of the day I will always be sore usually DOMS. Now I will do this either by the preferred methods, increased weight/reps. Or the shortening of rest periods, increasing time under tension, changing tempo, pausing on the negative portion or eccentric phase of the lift, a static hold on the concentic portion of the lift etc. You can see some of the methods lead naturally to soreness.

And yes it does. IF all other nutritional and recovery measures are taken. Yes more effort needs to be taken to recovery but the greater the adaptive response. That means alot of different things not only the amount of rest and nutrition but what is done physically(training, other things) to facilitate it.

I am currently training an individual whom I was putting though a very intense traing program yet refused to adapt his nutritional or dietary needs to accommodate the stresses caused by such a regime. He started to get weaker, smaller and basically burnt out after two weeks.  I explained to him that unless requirements XYZ are met the greatest program and trainer means jackshit. After basically mommying him and bumped his calories up and convinced him to go to sleep at a decent hour he has since seen a 10 lbs increase in lean mass from his original starting weight as well as a very significant jump in strength, all in a week.

And no of course my progress wouldn't be as fast as if I train naturally. But regardless of whether I am on or not, i still have Doms and progress almost weekly, whether an increase in strength, stamina or size, progress is a constant. As mentioned before I do have many breaks in training but even when consistent for years at a time naturally I won't plateau, progress is much slower yes but it is always there in one or more of the above mentioned forms.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2011, 12:42:36 PM »
MrGut: Does your research team suggest (meeting the requirements of DOMS) that this will produce progressive muscle mass & strength gains, from that good workout? Being from long term (3 to 6 months) data, on a workout to workout? And with at least 20 test subjects? All things being equal, a good workout to lab tech people does not always transfer over to experiences lifters in a serious gym. Good Luck.

Side Bar: with your serious drug use, would your success be the same without chemical engineering? Going for DOMs each workout, that is.
LOL this dude is a user?

mrgut

• Getbig II
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2011, 01:01:15 PM »
LOL this dude is a user?

?????? Again reading comprehension? My first post in this thread says I am not natural. The pic you saw was after a complete 4 month lay off and clean for about 2 years, no pump to make myself look bigger.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2011, 04:33:20 PM »
If MrGut is a moderate to heavy drug user (as suggested by his past post) than that exceptional soreness he seeks must be really hard to obtain (on every workout). His workouts must be epic, Good Luck.

In all the years I've known you, this has got to be the first time I've seen you use the word "epic" in your verbiage.
 ;D

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2011, 08:42:55 PM »
?????? Again reading comprehension? My first post in this thread says I am not natural. The pic you saw was after a complete 4 month lay off and clean for about 2 years, no pump to make myself look bigger.
hahahahahahah, the pic you saw was me after years of continual work outs in which i didnt get sore every work out and lifetime natural...

i think my "personal experience" is just as good if not better than yours hoss ;)

mrgut

• Getbig II
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2011, 11:54:05 PM »
Ok ok im impressed! Let's see you now in different shots to se what you really look like.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2011, 12:47:57 PM »
Ok ok im impressed! Let's see you now in different shots to se what you really look like.
plenty of pics and videos of me on getbig my friend, im no mystery...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2011, 06:51:10 PM »
Montague: Yeah, soon as I posted that I wondered ,WTF did I use that word?  Going for unforgettable. Never happen again.

TMcTones: Maybe he's hinting that he wants a personal pic of you sent to him,with a handwritten note from you on it. You know, something sincere and warm. Don't know why but McGut reminds me of Pumpster. Fuzzy logic and all.

Tbombz: You explained it best about the soreness thing.

Good Luck.
F