Author Topic: Vegetables - how do you eat them?  (Read 6810 times)

cephissus

• Getbig V
Vegetables - how do you eat them?
« on: July 25, 2011, 08:24:58 PM »
how do you guys eat vegetables?  they taste horrible and take forever to get down (i'm thinking greens in particular here).

from what (admittedly, little) i've heard, most people say a healthy consumption of vegetables entails:

1.  relatively large quantities.  they have few calories and are mostly consumed for micronutrient benefit, but to get enough of these nutrients you have to eat a lot.
2.  relatively raw.  most cooking techniques are said to "destroy" the micronutrients contained in these vegetables.
3.  wide variety.  it seems like people could talk all day about what vegetables you "really, truly need" and at the end of the day you'd have a list a mile long.
4.  frequent consumption (ideally with every meal).  it's said the body can only absorb so much at a time.

what is the solution?!  i dunno about you but i find it hard to eat / prepare any substantial amount of vegetables more than once or twice a day, an even then it's a total pain.  are "greens" type shakes / powders an adequate replacement?  is there a sane way to satisfy the nutritional demand for greens, and vegetables in general?

or is there even any need?  are they a waste of time?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: vegetables
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 08:26:16 PM »
Quit being a pussy and eat your fucking green beans!
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

cart@@n

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 08:34:15 PM »
I like boiled potatos and carrots.
Raw chopped tomatos with some salt.

I know, no greens....

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 08:37:35 PM »
how do you guys eat vegetables?  they taste horrible and take forever to get down (i'm thinking greens in particular here).

from what (admittedly, little) i've heard, most people say a healthy consumption of vegetables entails:

1.  relatively large quantities.  they have few calories and are mostly consumed for micronutrient benefit, but to get enough of these nutrients you have to eat a lot.
2.  relatively raw.  most cooking techniques are said to "destroy" the micronutrients contained in these vegetables.
3.  wide variety.  it seems like people could talk all day about what vegetables you "really, truly need" and at the end of the day you'd have a list a mile long.
4.  frequent consumption (ideally with every meal).  it's said the body can only absorb so much at a time.

what is the solution?!  i dunno about you but i find it hard to eat / prepare any substantial amount of vegetables more than once or twice a day, an even then it's a total pain.  are "greens" type shakes / powders an adequate replacement?  is there a sane way to satisfy the nutritional demand for greens, and vegetables in general?

or is there even any need?  are they a waste of time?
Look into greens plus. Haven't tried it myself but I have read good things about it.
T

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 08:38:29 PM »
I love vegetables, moreso as I get older.

Big broccoli fan, go through 1/2 lb per day easily.

Spinach is cool, but only as a salad.

Asparagus is my fave, but too expensive so I eat broccoli instead.

I eat a lot of squash zucchini salads all kinds of shit.

No corn, it's the sugar of vegetables.

Also eat a lot of fruit, again more and more as I get older.

Nectarines, peaches, grapes, bananas, you get the picture. Rasberrys are awesome. I buy what's on sale and I can eat within 4-5 days max. Fruit never lasts long sadly...

Veggies all day, fruit post workout ONLY, epic leans ensue.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 08:42:39 PM »
You don't have to eat them everday, even 3 or 4 times a week is good.

I do a boilup 2 or 3 times a week - just boil up some chicken or any meat and add a lot of veggies to it - potatoes, carrots, beans, spinach, broccoli, celery etc, let it cook in a slow cooker for 3-4 hours and then just eat the stuff all day whenever I feel hungry. You can flavour the soup with chicken stock, salt, pepper and whatever else you fancy.

Great way to lower your calories and still eat a lot of food. Tastes great and very healthy too.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 08:45:07 PM »
You don't have to eat them everday, even 3 or 4 times a week is good.

I do a boilup 2 or 3 times a week - just boil up some chicken or any meat and add a lot of veggies to it - potatoes, carrots, beans, spinach, broccoli, celery etc, let it cook in a slow cooker for 3-4 hours and then just eat the stuff all day whenever I feel hungry. You can flavour the soup with chicken stock or whatever you fancy.

Great way to lower your calories and still eat a lot of food. Tastes great and very healthy too.
Sounds horrible.  I don`t even know where to start with you people anymore.  Name one vegetable and I will give you a thousand recipes so you don`t have to eat this type of crap anymore.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 08:46:41 PM »
Sounds horrible.  I don`t even know where to start with you people anymore.  Name one vegetable and I will give you a thousand recipes so you don`t have to eat this type of crap anymore.

LMAO, it's all I can get my lazy ass to cook at home or I'll simply eat out. I enjoy eating food more than preparing it.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 08:48:18 PM »
LMAO, it's all I can get my lazy ass to cook at home or I'll simply eat out. I enjoy eating food more than preparing it.
You and I both know you are capable of doing better than that.  The way I see it, you are going to have to eat the rest of your life, you might as well master how to prepare and cook the food instead of just settling.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 08:50:18 PM »
just treat vegetables as a supplement, simply chew and swallow.  :)

and then eat whatever and however as you see fit

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 08:52:36 PM »
I hardly eat any veg. I used to eat a ton of it, then got all veggied out.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 09:03:06 PM »
how do you guys eat vegetables?  they taste horrible and take forever to get down (i'm thinking greens in particular here).

what is the solution?! 

Just about anything can be roasted (asparagus, broc., cauliflower, carrots, brussels sprouts, green beans, yellow beans, peppers, sweet potatoes, etc.) Just sprinkle with a little olive oil and Kosher salt into a 425 oven - 20-25 min.  Couldn't be any more simple.  Very flavorable.   Spinach; just heat some olive oil in a pan with (or without) some garlic, medium heat, throw in raw spinach, keep turning and tossing til "cooked" - about 5 min.  Season w/ s&p.

Got any ideas for fresh beets?
:

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 09:06:03 PM »
You and I both know you are capable of doing better than that.  The way I see it, you are going to have to eat the rest of your life, you might as well master how to prepare and cook the food instead of just settling.
Pull it off the plant and eat it......why over complicate things?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 09:13:57 PM »

If I can think of a veggie I have a hard time eating i'll let you know! Right now only restricted by finances, and I am growing my own anyway.

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 09:49:38 PM »
You're a fucking idiot to not eat vegetables every single day. I eat tons and I really don't like them all that much. In my opinion eating your veggies is as important as drinking water and breathing air.

I eat most for breakfast...I wake up hungry and can down anything pretty much so I may as well get them down while I can.

Tons of ways to make them tasty.

I cup up onions, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes...put them in a whole grain pizza with some light ranch...yummers.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 10:07:59 PM »
To all of you.

Youre not eating real "veggies".  ::)

Hope this helps.

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 10:15:25 PM »
To all of you.

Youre not eating real "veggies".  ::)

Hope this helps.

Not at all.

Clarify "real" veggies.

Most of us eat broccoli, spinach, green beans, etc.

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 10:20:38 PM »
just about all veggies work with olive oil and lemon, just cook until lightly done then add olive oil, lemon and salt to taste.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 10:21:13 PM »
Not at all.

Clarify "real" veggies.

Most of us eat broccoli, spinach, green beans, etc.
Im talking about those green "things" comming in massive quantities, in bags (veggetables in "bags" lol) or in huge baskets, at large grocery chains.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 10:29:46 PM »
Man the fuck up and eat them raw  8)

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 10:38:57 PM »

I like you WillGrant. I like you.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 11:45:51 PM »
Quit being a pussy and eat your fucking green beans!

lol....if you had a kid, I could see you saying that Chaos.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 11:46:51 PM »
I like you WillGrant. I like you.

He meant veggies not pussy.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 12:19:07 AM »
I hate vegetables - always have, always will - even when I was a little kid and knew nothing of bodybuilding I hated them.

These days the only veg I eat (occasionally), is raw carrot, raw spinach, cabbage, potatoes (roasted or boiled, but not mashed), onions (mixed in with curry) and the rare piece of broccoli.

Eat loads of fruit though - bananas and apples every day. The only fruit I don't like is watermelon.

jedibrat

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 12:36:38 AM »

Hey what other veggies are good raw? Raw Carrots are a favorite, but I've also tried broccoli and asparagus raw and they're too bitter and I'm not picky about tasty food: I have unflavoured protein shakes all day.

Was thinking maybe 1/3 cucumber would be ok and is easy to pickup and chomp on whilst you're walking around. Maybe celery too. Any others?