Author Topic: Shortened muscle bellies- long term effects of bad form with very heavy weights?  (Read 13912 times)

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
gaspari trains like an ego lifter did you guys see his training video with genova?

needs to use his brain

dustin

Yep.

Once your mind switches from working the muscle and getting a strong contraction..to "oh fuck I hope I get this rep" you're training too heavy.

The only thing you can show from that sort of lifting is an eventual torn muscle.

Even at my absolute best I've felt a twing or a twang unexpectedly and even with lighter weights. Doing trillions of reps in a lifetime means there's a huge opportunity to fuck something up. I try mitigating my risk by not being a retarded shitstain and it's done me well so far. ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I think it's a drug thing and not heavy weights.  If you take anabolic steroids, straight testosterone, growth hormone, anti estrogens, insulin, LH hormone, thyroid, speed, diuretics and maybe even EPO your body is going to fall apart. Plumboism, where your body just doesn't respond to the drugs the way it use to. 

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
Annnnnd that's why I don't lift so heavy anymore that my max sets have me thinking "fuck, one more rep and I'm tearing a muscle".

Call it lifting like a pussy, but I've lifted heavier than most people my size and have nothing to prove. If you tear a muscle, it's over. He's got 14"guns that look like 200 year old tree branches. I lift heavy enough to challenge the muscle asked find that going too heavy doesn't permit a strong mind muscle connection. Bodybuilding requires some moderately heavy lifting with a strong focus on quality time under tension, and I believe a good pump can help too. Ultra heavy lifting is too reckless and has too many dangers to be warranted, IMHO.

Good stuff here.  Older trainers really need to heed this advice.  I've been barbell curling only about 70-90lbs... the mind muscle connection is great and pump is fantastic.  Doesn't look very impressive, but who gives a fuck.  I can't even feel my bi's working if I use anything over 100lbs.

dustin

I think it's a drug thing and not heavy weights.  If you take anabolic steroids, straight testosterone, growth hormone, anti estrogens, insulin, LH hormone, thyroid, speed, diuretics and maybe even EPO your body is going to fall apart. Plumboism, where your body just doesn't respond to the drugs the way it use to. 

Most drugs make your body brittle. I don't care if someone's jacked and shredded, if they push too hard they'll burn out quickly. I use juice but low doses and don't blow out my muscles every workout.

Palumbo stage you're big and lean but insides are destroyed and body starts to morph in a very bad way.

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
when you getting older,should lift lighter and higher reps with full range.

JasonH

• Getbig V
It's genetics. Some people, when they age..they age hard and fall apart. They turn into old men.

Others (like me) basically retain who we are, just a wrinkle here or there gives away that we aren't kids anymore

The first group are what is known as "shitty people"

The second are known as "great people"

Hahaha  ;D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
It's genetics. Some people, when they age..they age hard and fall apart. They turn into old men.

Others (like me) basically retain who we are, just a wrinkle here or there gives away that we aren't kids anymore

The first group are what is known as "shitty people"

The second are known as "great people"
LOL  ;D

subseven

• Getbig II
It's definitely tight muscle, poke around in your triceps, any trigger points? sensitive areas? when you get these it's due to the muscle cell, the myocyte, not wanting to die. The constant stress, whether postural, hyperonicity etc causes massive calcium influx, in order for the cell not to undergo auto oxidation it basically knots itself to avoid this fate, making it an ostensible scar tissue. If you have trigger points and sore points, get them out first as strecthing wont do it. To remove the trigger point, you need ischemia, no oxygen, forcing the cell to release.

That's my theory

Can you elaborate on this?
How would you accomplish the ischemia? Occlusion training? What else?
Have you seen this work -on yourself or anyone else?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Can you elaborate on this?
How would you accomplish the ischemia? Occlusion training? What else?
Have you seen this work -on yourself or anyone else?

massage is a form of ischemia, just pressure straight on the trigger point will cause release. Dry needling is the best, basically you take an acupuncture needle and stick it in the trigger point and it will release. Compression (manual) or acupuncture will work.

I have seen and do it constantly. Just feel the muscle for knots and sore points, it's usually a restriction or trigger point that has to be worked through for full contraction.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
This happens not for everyone, far from that, so it depends...

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
Not stretccing
choice is an illusion

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
A lot of these guys are type II Diabetics...Which I believe is one of many causes of Palumboism...Diabetes and nerve damage go hand and hand...

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
Ask Mel Gibson

Necrosis

• Getbig V
A lot of these guys are type II Diabetics...Which I believe is one of many causes of Palumboism...Diabetes and nerve damage go hand and hand...

That's a really good point actually, the probably have neuropathy.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
I have been waiting all this time to reply to this most fascinating topic........

So I was training in my former gym recently, the olympic lifting gym with the old nagging coach running the show.

I was pumping out 11 reps with 120kg shoulder width bench press really good form no locking out to make it harder on the muscles.

Now this old man says

"Huh... you not locking out .... why?"

"to keep the tension on the muscles and make it easier on the elbows" i say

"partial reps like that indeed have that advantage" he says

"but also have a disadvantage!!!!!!!! because you are not doing full rom you are over time shortening the muscle belly and the longer a muscle belly the better it looks when contracted in a pose, there fore you must train with full rom"

my mind exploded with doubts and millions of questions and the issue has given me no rest since

only vanwilderbas can solve this !

Wolfox

• Getbig V
I have been waiting all this time to reply to this most fascinating topic........

So I was training in my former gym recently, the olympic lifting gym with the old nagging coach running the show.

I was pumping out 11 reps with 120kg shoulder width bench press really good form no locking out to make it harder on the muscles.

Now this old man says

"Huh... you not locking out .... why?"

"to keep the tension on the muscles and make it easier on the elbows" i say

"partial reps like that indeed have that advantage" he says

"but also have a disadvantage!!!!!!!! because you are not doing full rom you are over time shortening the muscle belly and the longer a muscle belly the better it looks when contracted in a pose, there fore you must train with full rom"

my mind exploded with doubts and millions of questions and the issue has given me no rest since

only vanwilderbas can solve this !

Brandon Lilly and Eric Spoto believe the same when it comes to tricep development. Brandon made a good point that if you take a lifter who doesn't lockout and add up all those reps not locked out over the years it will make a significant difference. So Brandon Lilly trains EVERY rep to lockout...even warmups. He said since doing this he has seen increase in strength on the bench.

I dunno about the whole shortening and lengthening but it makes perfect logical sense when it comes to tricep development both size and strength.
A

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
I'm bumping this. As I am getting older I notice I've lost some of my muscle belly esp on my left tricep where it inserts on the elbow. So where once my tri would tie in really low on my elbow, there is now a tendonis gap of maybe 1-2 inches before the muscle starts. U see it in a lot of older men.

Funny how if a guy starts lifting n juicing late in life like someone posted a vid recently of some old guy, not Colbert, if u start late many still have full muscle bellies cuz they worked desk jobs their whole lives n never abused their muscle.

I think some of the m belly loss comes from constant injury not just from lifting but working hard manual labor jobs all your life.

Comments?
Electricity. Not paying attention?   

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
Brandon Lilly and Eric Spoto believe the same when it comes to tricep development. Brandon made a good point that if you take a lifter who doesn't lockout and add up all those reps not locked out over the years it will make a significant difference. So Brandon Lilly trains EVERY rep to lockout...even warmups. He said since doing this he has seen increase in strength on the bench.

I dunno about the whole shortening and lengthening but it makes perfect logical sense when it comes to tricep development both size and strength.
goddamnit that old fart is always right?

or just broken clock right twice a day

let's see his other claims

he said

-musclesnatch is a supreme back exercise for a bodybuilder
-push press really trains upperchest like nothing else
-parallel to the floor barbel rows anything else is bullshit
-you must always train chest pressing in super set with lat pull downs to avoid shortening of the muscles in the chest

all this sounds like bullshit but i dont know what to believe anymore

please somebody page vanwilderbas

jamesjenkinsfitness

• Getbig II
  • instagram @jamesjenkinsfitness
I'm curious as to whether drugs over the years also contribute to this. I'm no expert by any means but here's my guess
Insulin, activates satellite cells into new muscle tissue. And then you have things like gh, mgf1 igf1, and the assortment. All of which basically mutate the actual muscle belly. Steroids make existing muscle grow. But gh slin, mgf etc. Actually mutate the cells. Enough to cause this, I have no idea, but it's just a thought.
I'm curious as to if anyone here knows the reason?
i

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
what about lack of stretching and too much buildup of basal tension levels in the muscles?

maybe bodybuilders should incorporate yoga

Danny-Boy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Prolonged abuse of Growth Hormone coupled w/ the abuse of insulin..... Remember the main mechanisms behind IGF-1s functions...  One function being- Increased skeletal growth...This mechanism does not discriminate... as one is likely to see overgrowth of vertebral foramen  (Canal that allows spinal cord to exit to it's corresponding anatomical regions)   Unfortunately, one usually observes one side impinging on the nerve more than the other... Here,  less nerve stimulation and efficiency of the contraction...and other endless circumstances surrounding this....      Why all the atrophic looking muscles seen on one side?!?!    Here u go fellas...    bone has to grow  and there is a reason why our homeostatic body tells it to stop when it is supposed to....   There is such thing as "too much of a good thing"

Danny-Boy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Keep abusing GH consistently for years .. This will inevitably happen.....  your training regimens and nutrition won't be able to put up a fight against the power of physiology...

Mawse

• Getbig IV
Stick needles in your arms every day for two decades

Report back with results on what happens to the tissue

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
Stick needles in your arms every day for two decades

Report back with results on what happens to the tissue
most bodybuilders are afraid of injecting the arm because scar tissue can tear the bicep easily ???