Author Topic: FLEX Magazine - moving to NY and other rumors  (Read 5578 times)

Spicy Shushi

• Getbig III
  • KNOW HOMO?
FLEX Magazine - moving to NY and other rumors
« on: August 09, 2011, 10:15:05 PM »
Publication To Join Other AMI Men's Enthusiast Group Titles in New Corporate Headquarters

NEW YORK, Aug. 9, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- American Media, Inc.'s (AMI) Flex magazine will relocate to AMI's headquarters in New York from Woodland Hills, California, the final step in the Enthusiast Group consolidation strategy, AMI's Executive Vice President/Group Publisher, Chris Scardino, announced today.

The move will allow Flex to join its brother publications, Men's Fitness and Muscle & Fitness, which, like Flex, are also under the leadership of Editorial Director, Seth Kelly. Allan Donnelly, Editor-in-Chief of Flex, the go-to information source for serious bodybuilders, will make the move to New York.

Commenting on the consolidation, Chris Scardino said, "Combining the content for Men's Fitness, Muscle & Fitness and Flex under one roof in our brand new office space creates synergies that allow us to further expand these powerful brands in both the print and digital arenas. The long tradition of providing cutting edge training and nutrition content to our loyal readers will continue on an even bigger scale."

The move of Flex to AMI's new office at 4 New York Plaza in lower Manhattan, is effective in October 2011 and follows the signature Mr. Olympia event taking place in Las Vegas on September 15, 2011.

"I'm thrilled to have all of the enthusiast brands in the AMI portfolio together. The consolidation provides us with a great opportunity for our print and online editorial teams; it will enable us to produce more of the content our readers have come to expect and to pursue new editorial opportunities and initiatives from mobile to standalone iPad apps," added Seth Kelly.

Allan Donnelley will continue to report directly to Seth Kelly who reports to AMI's Chairman, President and CEO, David. J. Pecker.

About American Media, Inc.

American Media, Inc. owns and operates the leading print and digital celebrity and health and fitness media brands in the United States. AMI's titles include Star, OK!, National Enquirer, Globe, Soap Opera Digest, Soap Opera Weekly, Pixie, Shape, Men's Fitness, Muscle & Fitness, Flex, Muscle & Fitness Hers, Fit Pregnancy and Natural Health. AMI also manages 18 different digital sites including RadarOnline.com, OKmagazine.com, Shape.com, MensFitness.com, MuscleandFitness.com and FitPregnancy.com. AMI's magazines have a combined total circulation of almost 7 million and reach more than 55 million men and women each month. AMI's digital properties reach an average of 10 million unique visitors and 80 million page views monthly.

AMI also operates a Publishing Services business unit which includes Distribution Services, Inc. (DSI), the No. 1 in-store magazine sales and merchandising marketing company in the U.S. and Canada. DSI places and monitors AMI’s publications and third-party publications to ensure proper displays in major retail chains and national and regional supermarket chains. DSI also provides marketing, merchandising and information gathering services to third parties including non-magazine clients. Publishing Services also provides print and digital advertising sales and strategic management direction in the following areas: manufacturing, subscription circulation, logistics, event marketing and full back office financial functions. Playboy is one of many publishers who have taken advantage of these additional services.

SOURCE American Media, Inc.

Enjoy your dish...

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
Re: FLEX magazine will relocate to AMI's headquarters in New York
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 10:16:35 PM »
I've just seen this on CNN, it's all over BBC too.

TK

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 08:52:55 AM »

Shame to see the glory days of Weider going away, from a storied building in Woodland Hills to a nameless corner in a floor in NYC. At least the Flex staff will stay around, writers can work from anywhere via a laptop, but too bad for the employees that don't want to relocate from Cal to NY.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 08:54:12 AM »
men in thongs is serious business.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 09:44:21 PM »
September 30th.... wow... the end of a tradition out here...

I hope that AMI treats its employees that have been there for quite a while fairly.  The Weider AMI family have always been respectful and have worked hard, and was literally, 10 minutes away from where I live.  I hope they take care of the people that are not able to go to New York, and respect the fact that many of them enjoy what they are doing, and deeply cared here in Los Angeles (Woodland Hills)

I assume that many of the editorial will stay on - after all, writers can write from anywhere.  

With the Olympia being 5 weeks away, lets hope the transition is good. Hopefully, we will see many of them for the last time as Woodland Hills Weider AMI personal there.

Will try to stop by next week (or after that) just to take some pics, and say hello.

Insider X

• Getbig II
FLEX Magazine - moving to NY with Romano in charge?
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 10:23:08 PM »

Welcome to New York, FLEX Magazine.  By October 1st, FLEX Magazine is giving up its home in California and moving to New York, where a new staff is taking over.   A new staff? So it seems.

Rumors are buzzing here in Dallas at the Europa Super Show when NONE of the Flex Magazine team showed up.  Yes, none.   Oh, there was this Andros guy from NY who does commentary videos for FLEX, using Bob Chicherillo and Isaac Hinds as his sidekick.  As for the pics, the same guy Isaac who is shooting for NPC News is shooting for them.

So where is the FLEX staff? Why is no one here from California? Last year, they had a staff of six come out.

Prejudging this evening, a friend of ours said that FLEX is interested in Romano. Yes, the John Romano that screwed MD, RX Muscle, and thinks the NPC/IFBB is bad,  to be the editor when they move to New York.   What are they thinking?  No one wants Romano to come back to NY. 

Get off Romano's nuts - he is caput.

Oh, everyone is being told that NO ONE from California is going to move to New York, and that ALL the staff that helped build up FLEX is going to be fired.  Nice move, but don't think the other magazines are rejoicing about it. No one is happy when a rival magazine is getting chopped, cut and hacked in staff and budgets.  So don't blame MD or Musclemag in any of this.  It isn't a happy time to see a fellow magazine go down like this.

jwb

• Getbig V
Re: FLEX Magazine - moving to NY with Romano in charge?
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 11:32:47 PM »
FLEX won't exist in 2 years.

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 12:03:22 AM »
it always amazes me how a bbing mag can exist, whats the point of buying one?

maxkane69

• Getbig IV
  • PALUMBOISM DESTROYED BODYBUILDING!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 12:26:33 AM »
Good riddance!

99 Bananas

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 01:55:04 AM »
Just think of what you'd say about a bodybuilding scene and insert a confusing amount of adjectives. Bam! you're doing flex commentary.

Spicy Shushi

• Getbig III
  • KNOW HOMO?
MD buying FLEX???
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 05:42:17 AM »
The New York glute man Steve Blechman buying FLEX?

"I had an interest in buying Flex, and maybe even Muscle & Fitness, too. I just didn’t think AMI was committed to bodybuilding. I was very disappointed with the way the meeting unfolded."  - Steve Blechman
Enjoy your dish...

Tito24

• Getbig V
Re: MD buying FLEX???
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 05:43:42 AM »
twinklab

Spicy Shushi

• Getbig III
  • KNOW HOMO?
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 06:02:31 AM »
AMI has a guy with the name PECKER in charge what do you expect?

The megalomaniac has run the magazines into a pile of shit. Nine years ago this is what the blow bag said... "With this purchase, we will go from $375 million in revenues to $550 million and we want to be over a billion in the next five years," Mr. Pecker said.

A meeting with Dr. Evil David Pecker probably goes a bit like this...

Enjoy your dish...

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 06:10:39 AM »
balik and kennedy were the last 2 publishers to give a fuck, even their mags became overrun with promo

I dont know the current state of any mag, havent looked at one in maybe 3 or 4 yrs

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 06:20:12 AM »
Immenent bankruptcy
U

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 08:36:08 AM »
ROMANO IS AN EPIC FAILRUE, CROOK & LOSER. No fit here, just remember how he shit all over Ben Weider upon his passing.

THE BEEF

abijahmaniaco

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 09:47:07 AM »
i think flex is a joke bc i bought one of their magazines and they have no articles about aas so it just pissed me off. at least md is straightforward about it. flex has articles about nutrition, but not hormones wtf?! both are equally necessary for growth. ???

io856

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 10:34:18 AM »
The New York glute man Steve Blechman buying FLEX?

"I had an interest in buying Flex, and maybe even Muscle & Fitness, too. I just didn’t think AMI was committed to bodybuilding. I was very disappointed with the way the meeting unfolded."  - Steve Blechman
::)

haha yes "had" an interest as if buying out your main competitors in the same market is no longer of interest  ::)

I can only but imagine this conversation  ::)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 11:41:48 AM »
FLEX has been making every effort to mimmick MD in every way in hopes of more sales.

Surely it isn't working. I won't even touch the mag anymore.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 12:11:14 PM »
FLEX was god from 1996-2002

now all mags are shit poop

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
Re: FLEX Magazine - moving to NY and other rumors
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 01:29:52 AM »
New York, the Mecca of Bodybuilding, this is where the action is.

Good move from FLEX magazine to move, looking forward to more exciting stories, amazing cover photo shoots and training articles written by the pros themselves!!!

FLEX FTW!!

adipo8

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 09:34:28 AM »
Move to NY from LA

hmmm..... From  paradise to Babylon

Would not be my choice . I am from Brookyln

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 11:38:47 AM »
it always amazes me how a bbing mag can exist, whats the point of buying one?

Suckers...there born every minute.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 02:43:54 PM »
FLEX won't exist in 2 years.

Less...

It already doesn't in the minds of many.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2011, 01:13:26 AM »
Who needs Flex Magazine when we have the amazing Flexonline.... ;D