Author Topic: Who is the most overrated fighter in the history of the sport?  (Read 20336 times)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
I think Fedor is the obvious answer.  But there are others like Bisbing, Lesnar and Liddell.  Who do you guys have?
w

coltrane

• Getbig IV
Re: Who is the most overrated fighter in the history of the sport?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 12:14:58 PM »
I think Fedor is the obvious answer.  But there are others like Bisbing, Lesnar and Liddell.  Who do you guys have?

Liddell overrated?  What?!
 ??? ???

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 10:33:52 AM »
This board is ridiculous, its no wonder almost nobody comes on here. Your statements have no reasoning / justification and in  all honesty all 3 of your choices are so far from being overrated you are now quite the laughing stock. We have tolerated your incessant rambling about Fedor for months but you come across now as someone that genuinely has NO idea about the sport. Simply writing this is an absolute waste of time but i shall view my opinion none the less because you sir are, in simplistic terms, an idiot.

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 01:02:52 AM »
1. chucky is overrated. fed wrestlers with no stand up his whole life. went to pride with dana thinking "chuckies da man" and got spanked by rampage.

2. randy is overrated. fought a bunch of nobodies and scrubs. his testing ground was pride and he didnt have the balls to fight there.

ANYONE IN THE UFC THAT WAS A HEAVY OR LIGHT HEAVY DURING THE PRIDE ERA WAS OVERRATED BECAUSE THEY NEVER TESTED THEMSELVES AGAINST THE BEST

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 02:43:17 AM »
1. chucky is overrated. fed wrestlers with no stand up his whole life. went to pride with dana thinking "chuckies da man" and got spanked by rampage.

2. randy is overrated. fought a bunch of nobodies and scrubs. his testing ground was pride and he didnt have the balls to fight there.

ANYONE IN THE UFC THAT WAS A HEAVY OR LIGHT HEAVY DURING THE PRIDE ERA WAS OVERRATED BECAUSE THEY NEVER TESTED THEMSELVES AGAINST THE BEST

yeah..liddel knocked overeem, and beat belfort. neither of them have great stand up. ::)
irongearco.com

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 12:07:05 AM »

yeah..liddel knocked overeem, and beat belfort. neither of them have great stand up. ::)

1.LOL at you for even thinking belfort has good standup. he only has fast hands and decent standup.

2. he defeats an ubereem who was only on cabbage juice as a light heavy. lets see him fight a non weight drained ubereem

WHAT DONT YOU GET? IF YOU WERE A HEAVY OR LIGHT HEAVY DURING THE PRIDE ERA AND NEVER FOUGHT THERE YOU HAVENT BEEN TESTED. except chucky, he went their and got his ass handed to him. he was just lucky he never made it to wandy beacuse he would of been stomped to death.

Internet Tough Guy

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 06:24:07 PM »
ESPN used to always talk up "Ice Man" then show the highlight of him getting owned beyond belief.  He's the Danica Patrick of MMA.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 08:41:06 PM »

1> Chuck Lidell
2> Randy Couture

End of list.

Anyone who has the slightest bit of intellectual curiosity on this board ( which means 5 people max) can confirm this as fact, not opinion.

It is remarkable that Randy stayed relevant into his 40's> However, lets be real here, he was a shadow of his former self and deeply flawed as a fighter, especially later on in his career.

Lidell was a tough mofo-- no doubt about it. Every UFC fighter should be forced to be as aggressive as Lidell (ala Pride yellow cards) . However, Rampage exposed what everyone else had always suspected; the man has a jaw made of eggshells. Rampage owned Lidell not once, but twice and to top it off, so did Shogun. It was a happy accident that a totally depleted and over the hill Franklin ko"d Chuck. He helped put MMA on the map, no doubt-- but in terms of actual skill, the man was legendary for a short period of time and then imminently beatable.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 02:05:23 AM »

Lesnar by a million miles.

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 01:41:48 PM »
Cro Cop by far
RIP Bob Probert

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 02:12:51 PM »
Kimbo Slice? 

Regarded by some as invincible before he got KTFO in 10 seconds by a guy with pink hair.
~

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 02:23:57 AM »
Kimbo Slice? 

Regarded by some as invincible before he got KTFO in 10 seconds by a guy with pink hair.

Oh yeh, Kimbo for sure!

OptimusPrime1980

• Getbig IV
  • FODA SE! ;)
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 01:44:53 PM »
agreed on Lesnar...!
but come on man ... fedor was a great fighter....
he beat a lot of top guys in pride.... when these guys were in their prime.... cro cop, noqueira, coleman, arlovski...herring etc ...

fedor is not overrated imo.
Lesnar very much so, big foot also, and cain.... jds will kill cain!
cheik kongo also, the guy is a baby on the ground. shane carwin also overrated..

Be Happy,
Optimus

ChopperRider

• Getbig V
  • Ugly, bald Shitso scalp for sale = $1
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 12:16:10 PM »
Kimbo
Lesnar
Franklin
Forrest
Leben
Bisping
Arlovski

All good fighters, but built up to "god" status by Dana/UFC to hype their fight cards when they first started out.

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 11:35:37 AM »
Why the hell would you put Liddell In there. Before his decline he was knocking dudes out left and right. One of the most feared strikers during that time. Stupid list!

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 03:05:16 PM »
Why the hell would you put Liddell In there. Before his decline he was knocking dudes out left and right. One of the most feared strikers during that time. Stupid list!

First of all, this is all OPINION based.  There are no right/wrong choices.  I put Liddell on there because most people consider him the greatest LHW of all time and some fools even consider him the greatest ever.  He is one of 2-3 MMA fighters that became household names.  Yet, he is far from the greatest LHV ever, let alone the greatest MMA fighter ever ::)  Liddell was good and he should definitely be mentioned in anyones list of the top 10 LHW of all time.  But, truth be told, he was fed a steady diet of wrestlers/grapplers with horrible standup...perfect for his sprawl & brawl style.  When he finally faced someone with better striking, he was KOd. He was overrated...
w

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 07:39:29 AM »

Totally agree.

Liddell was never overrated.  He was top dog for years.  He KO'd dudes all the time, and based upon his great sprawl, he fared well against wrestlers.  And he faced other strikers all the time.. look at his record. 

You can't base him being overrated on the fact that he started getting KO'd at the end of his career.  The guy had his issues outside of the sport. 

Honestly MS, this was a bad pick on your part.  Liddell was never overrated. 

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 08:17:04 AM »
As long as you can justify a pick to yourself for legitimate reasons, then you will always be correct. If MS genuinely sees these flaws with Chucks game as an objective viewer then he is entitled to state that and nobody can tell him he is wrong, however alot of people will view Chuck as one of the all time greats due to his prime fights and what he was able to do to world class fighters.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 08:40:31 AM »
Thank Granite...some people have a hard time differentiating fact from opinion.  Discussions about greatest of all time or greatest P4P or who is overrated are all opinion based. 
w

jedibrat

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 08:42:10 AM »
Akiyama.

He's won nothing since joining the UFC. And no I don't count the split decision "win" over Belcher.

jedibrat

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 09:02:46 AM »
He's also a Judo supremo but never tries takedowns. If he did one Parisyan-style sweep a match he'd at least be some entertainment. Maybe he wants to get cut so he can go back and fight in DREAM?

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 10:54:28 AM »
Of course it's all opinion.  So is my opinion when I say you're crazy for thinking Liddell is overrated.   ;D

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 01:09:30 PM »
Minspin has a point.For someone to be over rated it has to be loads of people calling them legends or greats. So his opinion based on lidell is kinda fair, although i dont agree.
People sayin lesnar??? WTF??? ??? I dont think anyones ever said he was one of the greatest fighters ever LOL thats the difference.He has/had alot of fans and nuthuggers but i dont think anyone ever really said he was the greatest ever or anything, get real!
Its hard to have an opinion on this, as alot of guys were amazing in their 20s then dropped big style when they hit mid 30s ( Crocop, Fedor,Wand etc )
Also Bisping??? Once again not many people have ever rated him highly to be 'over rated' ::)

OptimusPrime1980

• Getbig IV
  • FODA SE! ;)
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 07:25:09 PM »
lidell was the ufc representitive in pride tournaments... did not do to well if i remember.
that was in his primedays as well..
nevertheless one of the greats for sure...
Be Happy,
Optimus

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 10:13:49 PM »

i agree. guys say that he was feed wrestlers..guess what? thats what the best of the best was during that era.
irongearco.com