Author Topic: So Mormons are not even Christian? It's a totally different religion?  (Read 8857 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Looking at all this stuff and reading about the differences, it seems to have enough fundamental differences to constitute a totally different religion than christianity.  Looking at some of the stuff they believe, it would be like me making up a strange religion, calling god Jesus Christ and then saying it's christianity too.  I don't think anyone would go for that so why do some think Mormons are Christian?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: So Mormons are not even Christian? It's a totally different religion?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 11:50:40 PM »
"Can you be a Christian and deny most of the Christian doctrines?"

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 12:37:40 AM »
Quite different religions indeed, not sure where the confusion comes from.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 01:18:10 AM »
According to Mormons, they are Christians... According to all other Christians, they are not.

You tell me what that means.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 01:39:41 AM »
According to Mormons, they are Christians... According to all other Christians, they are not.

I think the conflict has to do with some basic theology dfiferences, mainly with John Smith and the question of divinity of the Book of Mormon as well as early beliefs in polygamy and the divinity of prophets based on birth right.

There are quite a few similarities between the two, however.  Maybe classifying them not as Christian, but a differing doctorine of Christianity, i.e. Presbyterian, Baptist, etc. would be more accurate.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 01:52:18 AM »

that's funny because I just watched a mormon saying that the religion started because there was no true christians.  So they not only believe they are christians, they believe they are the only real christians and everything else is false.

"The claim of the Mormons is, that they constitute the only true church now upon the earth, that all other denominations of Christians, so called, are out of the true path to heaven, which can only be attained through the administration of the ordinances of their church, by the " Melchisedec priesthood."

http://books.google.com/books?pg=PA135&dq=%22joseph%20smith%22%20theocracy&ei=Fi1KToXtMIL9sQLTuejMCA&ct=result&id=ZJY9AAAAYAAJ&output=text

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 02:12:25 AM »
I think the conflict has to do with some basic theology dfiferences, mainly with John Smith and the question of divinity of the Book of Mormon as well as early beliefs in polygamy and the divinity of prophets based on birth right.

There are quite a few similarities between the two, however.  Maybe classifying them not as Christian, but a differing doctorine of Christianity, i.e. Presbyterian, Baptist, etc. would be more accurate.
even though different churches, presbyterian, baptist etc disagree on some things, they still seem to acknowledge eachother as christians.  With mormons, the guy who created it flat out said god chose him because all other christians were false.

I like what the guy says in that last video I posted above, can you be a buddhist and deny most of the fundamental tenets of buddhism?  Nope...  That probably goes for most every religion but Mormons have an alternate view for most of the fundamental tenets of christianity?  Seems like the same name, different religion.  If I have this right, this 14 year old kid, joseph smith, who wasn't christian at the time wanted to join a religion but couldn't find one that he liked.  So he goes out into the forest and some angel hooks him up with the true religion... something like that lol...

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 02:18:53 AM »
I think I'll experiment... I'll go out into the forest and come back with testimony from god.  I'll also call it christian and Jesus will be part of it too but mix up shit and invent crazy new stuff.  I'll start a webpage and see how it goes.  Would I be a christian?

Actually I'm not going to do that...  within a few months I would probably have hundreds of people on my lawn and thousands of followers nationwide...  scratch that idea lol...

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 03:53:25 AM »
HOLY CRAP LOL...   :o

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 07:20:02 AM »
Following is a comparison between Christian doctrine and Mormon doctrine. It will become very obvious that Mormonism does not agree with the Bible. In fact, Mormonism has simply used the same words found in Christianity and redefined them. But with a proper understanding of what Mormonism really teaches, you will be able to see past those definitions into the real differences between Christianity and Mormonism.
www.carm.org

GOD
Christian
There is only one God (Isaiah 43:11; 44:6,8; 45:5).

Mormon:
"And they (the Gods) said: Let there be light: and there was light (Book of Abraham 4:3).

Christian:
God has always been God (Psalm 90:2; Isaiah 57:15).

Mormon:
"God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!!! . . . We have imagined that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea and take away the veil, so that you may see," (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345).

Christian:
God is a spirit without flesh and bones (John 4:24; Luke 24:39).

Mormon:
"The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's," (Doctrine and Covenants 130:22; Compare with Alma 18:26-27; 22:9-10).
"Therefore we know that both the Father and the Son are in form and stature perfect men; each of them possesses a tangible body . . . of flesh and bones," (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 38).

TRINITY

Christian:
The Trinity is the doctrine that there is only one God in all the universe and that He exists in three eternal, simultaneous persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Mormon:
The trinity is three separate Gods: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. "That these three are separate individuals, physically distinct from each other, is demonstrated by the accepted records of divine dealings with man," (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 35).

JESUS

Jesus:
Jesus was born of the virgin Mary (Isaiah 7:14; Matt. 1:23).

Mormon:
"The birth of the Saviour was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood - was begotten of his Father, as we were of our fathers," (Journal of Discourses, vol. 8, p. 115).
"Christ was begotten by an Immortal Father in the same way that mortal men are begotten by mortal fathers" (Mormon Doctrine, by Bruce McConkie, p. 547).

Christian:
Jesus is the eternal Son. He is second person of the Trinity. He has two natures. He is God in flesh and man (John 1:1, 14; Col. 2;9) and the creator of all things (Col. 1:15-17).

Mormon:
Jesus is the literal spirit-brother of Lucifer, a creation (Gospel Through the Ages, p. 15).

THE
HOLY
SPIRIT

ChristiAN:
The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity.  (Acts 5:3-4; 13:2)

Mormon:
Mormonism distinguishes between the Holy Spirit (God's presence via an essence) and the Holy Ghost (the third god in the Mormon doctrine of the trinity).
"He [the Holy Ghost] is a being endowed with the attributes and powers of Deity, and not a mere force, or essence," (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 144).

SALVATION

Christian:
Salvation is the forgiveness of sin and deliverance of the sinner from damnation. It is a free gift received by God's grace (Eph. 2:8; Rom. 6:23) and cannot be earned (Rom. 11:6).

Mormon:
Salvation has a double meaning in Mormonism: universal resurrection and . . .
"The first effect [of the atonement] is to secure to all mankind alike, exemption from the penalty of the fall, thus providing a plan of General Salvation. The second effect is to open a way for Individual Salvation whereby mankind may secure remission of personal sins," (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 78-79).

Christian:
Salvation (forgiveness of sins) is not by works (Eph. 2:8; Rom. 4:5; Gal. 2:21).

Mormon:
"As these sins are the result of individual acts it is just that forgiveness for them should be conditioned on individual compliance with prescribed requirements -- 'obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel,'" (Articles of Faith, p. 79).

BIBLE

Christian:
The inspired inerrant word of God (2 Tim. 3:16). It is authoritative in all subjects it addresses.

Mormon:
"We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly. . ." (8th Article of Faith of the Mormon Church).

This is only a sample of many of the differences between Christianity and Mormonism. As you can see, they are quite different doctrines. God cannot be uncreated and created at the same time. There cannot be only one God and many gods at the same time. The Trinity cannot be one God in three persons and three gods in an office known as the Trinity, etc. These teachings are mutually exclusive.

This is important because faith is only as good as the object in which it is placed. Is the Mormon god the real one? Or, is the God of historic and biblical Christianity the real one?

Mormonism is obviously not the biblical version of Christianity.
R

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 05:47:26 PM »
Following is a comparison between Christian doctrine and Mormon doctrine. It will become very obvious that Mormonism does not agree with the Bible. In fact, Mormonism has simply used the same words found in Christianity and redefined them. But with a proper understanding of what Mormonism really teaches, you will be able to see past those definitions into the real differences between Christianity and Mormonism.
www.carm.org

Excellent summation.  After reading that, they would definitely be a differing religion. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 06:11:47 PM »
Excellent summation.  After reading that, they would definitely be a differing religion. 
In reading through some of the old victorian era stuff about and by Joseph Smith it seems quite clear even he would agree it's a different religion.  Seems he intentionally designed it to be a new religion.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 04:14:44 AM »
I think I'll experiment... I'll go out into the forest and come back with testimony from god.  I'll also call it christian and Jesus will be part of it too but mix up shit and invent crazy new stuff.  I'll start a webpage and see how it goes.  Would I be a christian?

Actually I'm not going to do that...  within a few months I would probably have hundreds of people on my lawn and thousands of followers nationwide...  scratch that idea lol...

hahaha!!!

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 05:26:04 AM »

maybe the santorum example of a napkin and a paper towel can be used here.
they (mormons) call themselves christian{napkin} but they are not {paper towel}.
Moses found the 10 commandments by following the voice of a burning bush up to the mountains.
Joseph Smith found his gold tablets in the mountains in the East.
w

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 12:00:58 PM »
Whatever happened to that Mormon with he five wives that use to post here?

I heard he got death threats all the time?

???

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 01:11:36 PM »
lol ;D

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 01:13:12 PM »
lol ;D

Bring back the old getbig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :(  ;D

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 03:54:37 AM »
Bring back the old getbig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :(  ;D
which was?
pre 333386 ?
w

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 08:25:54 AM »
Whatever happened to that Mormon with he five wives that use to post here?

I heard he got death threats all the time?

???

Who was it?
R

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 03:59:13 AM »
Who was it?
;D  

This is not true with us, we all live in the same house and we're not on welfare... It is a hard journey, especially all fitting into one king size bed...

Pip has exposed me, there will be a reckoning >:(

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 08:57:52 AM »
;D  

Ahhhh! ;D
R

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 09:53:42 AM »
Ahhhh! ;D
Is that a yes that you'll be my next wife? lol...

Reeves

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 06:27:15 PM »
LDS are not true followers of the Christ.  But you already knew that, ace.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 04:51:18 AM »
;D  

Please forgive me papa!!!!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2011, 12:47:26 PM »

Please forgive me papa!!!!
LOL, that was a good show.  didn't expect it to be.