Author Topic: question for christians, AGAIN...  (Read 14319 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: question for christians, AGAIN...
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2011, 08:16:22 AM »
Feel teh love :)
R

Reeves

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
Feel teh love :)

I be all about de loves. Positively.   ;D

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2011, 10:01:58 AM »

;D
R

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2011, 11:48:17 PM »
just not cool with any criticism right?

Reeves

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2011, 07:21:17 AM »
just not cool with any criticism right?

It depends entirely upon whether or not I think said criticism is justified or not.  For example, criticism regarding Jim and Tammy Baker or any number of false witness, name it and claim it charlatans?  Justifiable.

Criticism against the comedic genius that is Bill Murray in the landmark film, "Caddyshack"?  Blasphemy.  ;D

As would be criticism against the genuine teachings of Jesus of Nazareth. 

For the greater part (as I am only human and thereby subject to all that entails)  I do not play favorites.  Unless of course one would call what another holds to be true a "favorite".  I have known more phony christians than real Christians and I lambast the former with equal vigor as I do any that come here and espouse lies about what the man Jesus said or belittle his teachings. 

I think the tripe homohammed ejaculated upon the world in his fetid tome the Queeran is more deserving of their disgust, but most are too scared to speak against silicon schwartzs than against the Christ. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
It depends entirely upon whether or not I think said criticism is justified or not.  For example, criticism regarding Jim and Tammy Baker or any number of false witness, name it and claim it charlatans?  Justifiable.

Criticism against the comedic genius that is Bill Murray in the landmark film, "Caddyshack"?  Blasphemy.  ;D

As would be criticism against the genuine teachings of Jesus of Nazareth. 

For the greater part (as I am only human and thereby subject to all that entails)  I do not play favorites.  Unless of course one would call what another holds to be true a "favorite".  I have known more phony christians than real Christians and I lambast the former with equal vigor as I do any that come here and espouse lies about what the man Jesus said or belittle his teachings. 

I think the tripe homohammed ejaculated upon the world in his fetid tome the Queeran is more deserving of their disgust, but most are too scared to speak against silicon schwartzs than against the Christ. 

you sure hand down judgement pretty quick and show no mercy for what you consider to be bogus criticism. 

No big deal, you flipped out so hard, it was kinda funny, just glad you don't mod the forum lol...   

Reeves

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2011, 07:43:45 AM »
you sure hand down judgement pretty quick and show no mercy for what you consider to be bogus criticism. 

No big deal, you flipped out so hard, it was kinda funny, just glad you don't mod the forum lol...   

Oh, please.  This little Matrix is so far removed from reality and yet you think someone that writes instead of simply types a reply has "flipped out"?  I may not yet think highly of you but neither do I think you are ignorant.   

I have neither the time nor the inclination to moderate a forum but I respect those that do.  Thanks.

probound2

• Getbig II
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2011, 07:52:04 PM »
The resurrection of the wicked does not insinuate they will rise to eternal life with God, all still must be judged.

Daniel 12:2
"And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt."

Yes, this is correct. However, the reason I pointed this out was due to the OP. Most professed christian organizations preach the idea that as of now, if one doesn't believe in Jesus  they will go to hell. This isn't true.

However, like you pointed out, when this resurrection happens those people who come back that didn't believe will be given a second chance to do so. If they choose to not accept him then, that's when they will be destroyed forever.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2011, 08:29:29 AM »
that's when they will be destroyed forever.

Heh.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2011, 06:26:05 AM »

Yes, this is correct. However, the reason I pointed this out was due to the OP. Most professed christian organizations preach the idea that as of now, if one doesn't believe in Jesus  they will go to hell. This isn't true.

However, like you pointed out, when this resurrection happens those people who come back that didn't believe will be given a second chance to do so. If they choose to not accept him then, that's when they will be destroyed forever.

I'm curious as to your belief on this, what exactly do you base this premise on, the giving of a second chance?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2011, 08:13:30 AM »
I'm curious as to your belief on this, what exactly do you base this premise on, the giving of a second chance?

I've never heard of this as well although I must say I think I would like it to be true.

probound, can you please post the scriptures you're basing this on?
R

probound2

• Getbig II
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2011, 03:11:16 AM »

Acts 24:15 - "And I have the same hope in God as these men themselves have, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked."

After the battle of Amageddon, Christ will rule for the 1000 years. People will know who he is without a doubt unlike now. After the 1000 years rule by Christ, satan will be loosed from the 'pit' and will be given a chance to mislead people again. The bible says there will be tons of folks, whom, even knowing who Jesus is, without doubt, will still choose to go with the devil and his demons. Then Jesus will execute those people for good along with satan and his demons.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2011, 12:49:11 PM »
Acts 24:15 - "And I have the same hope in God as these men themselves have, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked."

After the battle of Amageddon, Christ will rule for the 1000 years. People will know who he is without a doubt unlike now. After the 1000 years rule by Christ, satan will be loosed from the 'pit' and will be given a chance to mislead people again. The bible says there will be tons of folks, whom, even knowing who Jesus is, without doubt, will still choose to go with the devil and his demons. Then Jesus will execute those people for good along with satan and his demons.

So when you say people will have a second chance are you mainly talking about people that are alive in their earthly bodies in the millenium and not those that have lived and died already?

Your Acts 24:15 reference shows that there will indeed be a resurrection..of both the wicked and the dead, but other passages show that these will be judged in different judgments as far as I can tell.

In your passage, Paul is pleading his case in front of Felix explaining that he was not guilty of the things the crowd was accusing him of, and in fact was a former Pharisee who believed everything written in accordance w/the Law and the prophets and also believed in the resurrection of the dead. ...just as they did...and so wouldn't be engaged in the things he was being accused of by the crowd.

I don't see anywhere in that area of scripture where he indicates that people will have a second chance to accept Christ as Savior after they die?

From what I can tell there will be a resurrection of all...and the believers will be judged in one judgment (Judgment Seat of Christ) and unbelievers in another (Great White Throne Judgment).

Rev 20:4-15

I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. They[a] had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

The Judgment of Satan
 7 When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison 8 and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth—Gog and Magog—and to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore. 9 They marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of God’s people, the city he loves. But fire came down from heaven and devoured them. 10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
The Judgment of the Dead
 11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.
R

probound2

• Getbig II
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2011, 11:52:57 AM »
So when you say people will have a second chance are you mainly talking about people that are alive in their earthly bodies in the millenium and not those that have lived and died already?

No, the ones who survive the millennium (which will be all people who made it thru the battle of Armageddon) will be tested one last time by the devil, as evidenced by your scripture you quoted at the bottom in Rev. The bible says that there will be tons of those people who will turn away from God, and go back to being deceived by satan and his demons. At that point, God will destroy them and the devil with the demons. The show is over at this point. The ones who are not deceived will continue to serve God and be spared this everlasting destruction.

Your Acts 24:15 reference shows that there will indeed be a resurrection..of both the wicked and the dead, but other passages show that these will be judged in different judgments as far as I can tell.

Yes, I agree with you on this. During the 1,000 yr reign of Christ, the resurrection will occur. Those wicked ones who were resurrected will essentially be judged during this time, because they didn't show interest in Jesus before the battle of Armageddon. The righteous ones in that scripture, had already proved their loyalty to God before they died, hence, why they won't be considered to be judged during that time frame (1,000 yrs).

In your passage, Paul is pleading his case in front of Felix explaining that he was not guilty of the things the crowd was accusing him of, and in fact was a former Pharisee who believed everything written in accordance w/the Law and the prophets and also believed in the resurrection of the dead. ...just as they did...and so wouldn't be engaged in the things he was being accused of by the crowd.

I don't see anywhere in that area of scripture where he indicates that people will have a second chance to accept Christ as Savior after they die?

The second chance I'm referring too, is pertaining to the ones now. In other words, people who have died before Armageddon, whom didn't accept Jesus due to ignorance. However, after the 1,000 yr reign, and the release of satan and his demons to deceive the people whom have lived thru the millennium, there will be no second chance at this point. The bible says they will be destroyed with satan and his demons at that time for good.

This is the wickeds' second chance (living thru the millennium after they are resurrected). But the bible makes it clear that even then, there will be tons of people, that will allow the devil to deceive them, even tho, they know without a doubt God exist and what he expects of them.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2011, 11:48:24 AM »
:)

I wonder if some people truly truly would choose hell/separation from God for eternity and these are the people that God allows to go to hell.  Even our faith (believers) is a gift from God, and since He knows the heart, perhaps the gift is given to those that would want to believe? 

I used to agonize over the thought of anyone not going to heaven but reading many of the posts on this website I do think that some people may truly not wish to spend eternity w/God.  It makes me think of bowl judgments in Revelation that are being poured out and men are still cursing God.  Imo, the people going through that are not ignorant of what is happening but still curse God.

Atheist Matt Dillahunty (who says he is morally superior to God) says he wants nothing to do with God.  Both he and Christopher Hitchens said they want to be eternally separated from God even if everything in the bible was proven 100% to them and verified completely.

Reeves

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2011, 05:16:16 PM »
:)
I wonder if some people truly truly would choose hell/separation from God for eternity and these are the people that God allows to go to hell.  Even our faith (believers) is a gift from God, and since He knows the heart, perhaps the gift is given to those that would want to believe?  

I used to agonize over the thought of anyone not going to heaven but reading many of the posts on this website I do think that some people may truly not wish to spend eternity w/God.  It makes me think of bowl judgments in Revelation that are being poured out and men are still cursing God.  Imo, the people going through that are not ignorant of what is happening but still curse God.

Atheist Matt Dillahunty (who says he is morally superior to God) says he wants nothing to do with God.  Both he and Christopher Hitchens said they want to be eternally separated from God even if everything in the bible was proven 100% to them and verified completely.

If I may?

There are more than a few people out there that do not like being "made" to do something.  Even being "told" to do something goes against our nature if you will.  As I've said in the past, there is much good in the Bible, especially so in the words of the Christ, but...

Men and women will be who and what we are.  How many times as a child were you told not to do something and even knowing you would be hurt or punished for the deed  you went right ahead and did it?  George Washington and the tale of him chopping down the cherry tree comes to mind - "I cannot tell  a lie. I chopped down the tree."  In the telling (and reading) of this story it appears as though our first president was proud of both his act and of admitting to it.  

People tend to rebel against authority, especially so when it is as autonomous, omnipotent, omniscient and "self evident" as God is purported to be.  Jesus himself posed the question of would God, being so much more loving and benevolent than man, not provide for his children (ref. the parable on what parent would give their child a stone when they asked for bread, etc.)?

In a similar fashion I ask this question.  What God would so hide from his children and still expect them to not only believe in him but worship him?  If a parent hid from their children as  does God, then I can assure you that said children would be given over to the state and placed elsewhere so that someone would care for them.  I came to the conclusion that I could not make a leap of faith in two (or more) jumps.  Especially since I saw no proof of someone waiting to catch me. ;D

But setting aside all that I can still say with more authority than most that if I were to follow any person's teachings it would be those of Jesus of Nazareth.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2011, 08:00:45 AM »

If I may?

There are more than a few people out there that do not like being "made" to do something.  Even being "told" to do something goes against our nature if you will.  As I've said in the past, there is much good in the Bible, especially so in the words of the Christ, but...

Men and women will be who and what we are.  How many times as a child were you told not to do something and even knowing you would be hurt or punished for the deed  you went right ahead and did it?  George Washington and the tale of him chopping down the cherry tree comes to mind - "I cannot tell  a lie. I chopped down the tree."  In the telling (and reading) of this story it appears as though our first president was proud of both his act and of admitting to it.   

People tend to rebel against authority, especially so when it is as autonomous, omnipotent, omniscient and "self evident" as God is purported to be.  Jesus himself posed the question of would God, being so much more loving and benevolent than man, not provide for his children (ref. the parable on what parent would give their child a stone when they asked for bread, etc.)?

In a similar fashion I ask this question.  What God would so hide from his children and still expect them to not only believe in him but worship him?  If a parent hid from their children as  does God, then I can assure you that said children would be given over to the state and placed elsewhere so that someone would care for them.  I came to the conclusion that I could not make a leap of faith in two (or more) jumps.  Especially since I saw no proof of someone waiting to catch me. ;D

But setting aside all that I can still say with more authority than most that if I were to follow any person's teachings it would be those of Jesus of Nazareth.

Well of course you may LOL!! 

In my humble opinion, the evidence for God is now most clearly found/experienced in a personal relationship with his son Christ Jesus.  Never in my life has God made his presence known to me more so that when I humbly surrendered to his will.  It's the crux of the debate, the missing variable in the equation, the undiscovered element, etc LOL!!  A truly humble heart, one that desires to know the real God, is the best way to experience him (again IMHO).  God doesn't hide from his children, his children experience him on a daily basis.  It's those that don't desire to humble themselves, cast aside their doubts and fully surrender that don't experience him personally.  So often I hear how narrow-minded Christians are.  It's true, because Christ represents the narrow gate to salvation.  Well articulated philosophical positions, peer-reviewed scientific concepts, etc....just kinda fall flat when you experience Christ for yourself.  It's not that the philosophy and science isn't relevant, it's just that I've now experienced something that transcends both. I know now I'll never understand enough scripture, read enough philosophy, study enough science, present enough apologetic positions to convince some folks.  My best friend, a man I've know since junior high, has witnessed the transformation in my life through Jesus Christ and even still he can't be convinced enough to reconcile his own heart and pursue his own relationship and we've known each other approaching 30 years.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2011, 12:36:24 PM »
Really like your posts MOS.
R

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2011, 09:25:14 PM »
Question: "Do mentally ill people go to heaven? Does God show mercy to those who are mentally retarded, challenged, disabled, or handicapped?"
QUESTION: Hey, what about ants, do ants go to heaven?, I have always wondered if their was like a mini heaven, you know like a small one for insects - do you think that is silly?, or is heaven just for the more intelligent species? Thanks in advance  ;)
V

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2011, 09:50:26 AM »

An atheist can't say he is morally superior to something they don't believe exists.

Having read the bible more than once, I too have a problem with the bible gods character and actions. To kill so many men women and children as the bible god is proclaimed to have done, to make rules about stoning and killing people for such sins as picking up wood on Sunday, and condoning the beating of slaves, to be a jealous god demanding our love or else be damned, I too would have a problem worshipping such a diety were it to exist.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2011, 02:08:15 PM »
its hard to take the Rom 6.23 literally because even an "innocent" child has sinned. we sin without knowing. I think we exist for salvation , we are given many chances to make up good ground.

God is more of a science to me. if i cuss you or belittle you that counts for something against me. But i can make up ground with good intentions. But it gets very confusing and hard to keep track, more than likely under strict ruling we are all in the "red" and should go to hell of varying degrees in order to be fair

who says everlasting life is a good thing or bad. there could be sinister undertones with that word, its difficult to interpret. What is "everlasting life"? "ever" "last"... but either way there isnt any-way out or even heaven

i wouldnt want to burden my god for accepting that he died for me, i would like to repay him if i could even if its not paid in full, i wish to do my best for god.

I think one is less likely to get into a heaven if they just beleived they are saved and do not let logic lead them to make good choices in life. But arguing from your point of view... i would add that alot of good choices are fueled by ego because i cant possibly know the perfect choices because im not the smartest person ever, so i can make bad choices thinking they are good..

so regardless our fate will be decided more with god and less with our decisions and decisions to simply accept him.  In conclusion we arent sure what everlasting life is. what does that mean to you? Perhaps the words can trick you in the bible to thinking its all good but there are alot of things left out of the bible wich can only lead to a very permeable understanding of the true meanings. thus we shouldnt hold too tight to any beleifs and still do the right thing brother
A

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2011, 11:23:30 AM »
its hard to take the Rom 6.23 literally because even an "innocent" child has sinned. we sin without knowing. I think we exist for salvation , we are given many chances to make up good ground.

God is more of a science to me. if i cuss you or belittle you that counts for something against me. But i can make up ground with good intentions. But it gets very confusing and hard to keep track, more than likely under strict ruling we are all in the "red" and should go to hell of varying degrees in order to be fair

who says everlasting life is a good thing or bad. there could be sinister undertones with that word, its difficult to interpret. What is "everlasting life"? "ever" "last"... but either way there isnt any-way out or even heaven

i wouldnt want to burden my god for accepting that he died for me, i would like to repay him if i could even if its not paid in full, i wish to do my best for god.

I think one is less likely to get into a heaven if they just beleived they are saved and do not let logic lead them to make good choices in life. But arguing from your point of view... i would add that alot of good choices are fueled by ego because i cant possibly know the perfect choices because im not the smartest person ever, so i can make bad choices thinking they are good..

so regardless our fate will be decided more with god and less with our decisions and decisions to simply accept him.  In conclusion we arent sure what everlasting life is. what does that mean to you? Perhaps the words can trick you in the bible to thinking its all good but there are alot of things left out of the bible wich can only lead to a very permeable understanding of the true meanings. thus we shouldnt hold too tight to any beleifs and still do the right thing brother

If sin is death then everlasting life is an existance without sin enjoying an eternity of God's presence and divine, wonderful attributes.  An eternity in hell would then be seperation from God and all those same divine, wonderful attributes.  We understand the severity of our sin and the ultimate holiness of God and the incompatibility therein.  God is essence of life and all that is good, righteous and holy and because of that "condition" sin has a penalty of death.....clearly shows the gravity of our sin as defined by God.   

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2011, 11:50:15 AM »
An atheist can't say he is morally superior to something they don't believe exists.

Having read the bible more than once, I too have a problem with the bible gods character and actions. To kill so many men women and children as the bible god is proclaimed to have done, to make rules about stoning and killing people for such sins as picking up wood on Sunday, and condoning the beating of slaves, to be a jealous god demanding our love or else be damned, I too would have a problem worshipping such a diety were it to exist.

You know man, I completely understand where you're coming from....I really do; although, a lot of these discussions often require that all important context.  That context adds the necessary color that the generalized statements alone can't convey properly (unless a person is highly intuitive...which I am not).   I'll address a couple of your examples:

The death of innocent women and children:
From a previous post 1 ==>

The Amalekites had hundreds of years to repent and they did not.  Generation after generation of children grew to adults who were fully accountable for their actions and feel prey to the depravity of the generations before them.  God stepped in and said enough.  And yes the unaccountable 2 year olds lives were ended, but what about the fate of their souls?  Their parents choose to rebel and defy God at every point in their lives.  God is a god of second, third, fourth, fifth.....chances, but after generations lived and died and refused God's grace they chose to then spend an eternity without him.   The 2 year olds you speak of can't make that choice and aren't accountable for their actions, but like generations before them they would've done exactly what their parents and their parent's parent and their parent's parent's parents did......separate themselves from God.   God recognized the hopelessness in these people and the idolotrous, depravity they repeatedly chose.  That said, he ended their unrepentant ways.  The Amalakite children of that last generation, the unaccountable 2 year olds, God showed them mercy and grace because upon their deaths they entered paradise while those before them (accountable adults) remain separate from God (as they chose to be) for all eternity.  If you don't believe all you see is death, if you do believe you see mercy, grace and love.    

From a previous post 2 ==>

If children are not accountable for the difference between right and wrong, they can't be held accountable for a making a choice for salvation.  None are more precious to God than the children and unaccountable children aren't banished to an eternity without God because they weren't saved like their accountable elders.

Luke 17:2

"It would be better for them to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around their neck than to cause one of these little ones to stumble. "

The babies and other unaccountables have no reason to repent and were taken to God's eternal kingdom upon their death.....another aspect of love and mercy.

Condoning the beating of slaves:
Excerpt from a saved link ==>

Does the Old Testament condone slavery?
Absolutely not.
The Old Testament speaks of slavery often, and lays out rules on how slaves were to be treated. This has caused some to become confused...but a basic understanding of the context for ancient near-eastern slavery shows that the Old Testament does not condone slavery. Let's look at some common assumptions:

ASSUMPTION #1: Regulating a behavior shows approval
There are 33 Bible verses (NIV) containing the word "divorce". Divorce is specifically regulated in Scripture, but does that mean that the Bible condones divorce? Let's see:

I hate divorce," says the LORD God of Israel...

God hates divorce. Why would He give specific instructions governing it? Simple: because divorce was a fact of life. Failing to provide practical instructions on divorce would be like pretending it didn't actually happen. Well, slavery was also a fact of life. Regulations for slavery should not be confused with the approval of slavery. The existence of regulations for specific behaviors is not the same as approval for those behaviors.

However, Assumption #1 is not relevant to the issue of slavery in the Old Testament. As we'll see, other faulty assumptions are at work:

ASSUMPTION #2: Slavery was involuntary servitude
Many incorrectly assume that the slavery in the Old Testament was like the modern western slavery of the 1700's and 1800's. Western slavery primarily benefited the rich, but Israelite slavery primarily benefited the poor. You see, slavery was almost always voluntary...the basic types of "enslavement" are known as self-sale, family sale, and indentured servitude. These relationships were usually initiated by the slave as a remedy for poverty.

Poor families would sometimes sell their children as slaves. Were this situation like modern western slavery, we could justifiably condemn the practice...but the reality is that this was of great benefit to the child.

Slavery contracts often emphasized that the slave agreed to work in exchange for economic security and personal protection. While modern western slaves were forbidden to own property of any kind, Hebrew slaves could take part in business, borrow money, and buy their own freedom...in other words, they were free to "buy out" the contract they'd made. They were also able to own property, pay betrothal monies, and pay civic fines. Slaves could appear in court as witnesses, plaintiffs, and defendants.

Many ancient near-eastern slaves were able to buy time off as well, paying a fixed fee called a "quitrent" to their owner. This bought them a year where they didn't have to work. The amount paid was roughly equivalent to the average annual pay of a hired worker, regardless of whether he was free or a slave.

ASSUMPTION #3: Slavery was cruel and inhumane
While human nature tells us that abuse certainly must have occurred, the Old Testament forbids the cruel treatment of slaves. In fact, slaves were afforded the same legal protections as free citizens.

Leviticus 25 instructed Israelites to not mistreat slaves:

Do not rule over them ruthlessly, but fear your God.
...you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.
...you must see to it that his owner does not rule over him ruthlessly.
Instead of being cruel and inhumane, the relationships between slaves and owners appear to have been, at the very least, respectful. Many slaves were treated much like members of the owner's family. Deuteronomy 15 has a very instructive passage regarding setting a slave free:

If a fellow Hebrew, a man or a woman, sells himself to you and serves you six years, in the seventh year you must let him go free. And when you release him, do not send him away empty-handed. Supply him liberally from your flock, your threshing floor and your winepress. Give to him as the LORD your God has blessed you. Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and the LORD your God redeemed you. That is why I give you this command today.

But if your servant says to you, "I do not want to leave you," because he loves you and your family and is well off with you, then take an awl and push it through his ear lobe into the door, and he will become your servant for life. Do the same for your maidservant.

Do not consider it a hardship to set your servant free, because his service to you these six years has been worth twice as much as that of a hired hand. And the LORD your God will bless you in everything you do.

The personal rights and responsibilities of a slave were clearly more important than the owner's "property rights". Slavery was generally an economic transaction and not a human rights violation. As but one example, slaves were forbidden to work on the Sabbath and were expected to take part in social celebrations...just like their masters. It's clear that the slavery in the Old Testament wasn't like modern western slavery at all. Obviously, these slaves recieved great benefits from making such arrangements.

Assumption #4: It was okay to harm a slave
If a master beat a slave and the slave died, he was to be killed. If he caused any sort of permanent damage to the slave, the slave was to be set free immediately. Note that "permanent damage" included such things as knocking out a tooth! This was a stark contrast to other near-eastern cultures, where a master was allowed to put out the eyes of his slaves with no consequences. An Israelite master had incentive to avoid striking a slave in the face, which was considered a civic wrong.

Some try to use Exodus 21:20-21 as evidence that Assumption #4 is accurate:

If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.

On the surface, this looks as though a master could get away with mistreating a slave. When we look more closely, it's clear that this wasn't considered mistreatment. In fact, this verse shows that slaves were treated in much the same way as free citizens.

Being beaten by a rod was a common punishment. The community elders employed the rod to punish wrongdoers, and fathers applied the rod to rebellious older sons. Using a rod to discipline a slave would be common, if not customary. The punishments for harming slaves and free men were equivalent:

If the slave died, the owner was killed.
If the slave was permanently harmed, they were set free.
If the slave was temporarily harmed, the owner was not punished.
A free citizen who was temporarily harmed would be compensated for lost work time and medical bills, but the slave would not. The difference was simply economic: the owner was financially responsible for the slave, so he absorbed the loss of work time and made sure the slave was healed instead of paying them cash.

Assumption #5: Women were sex slaves
Women were sometimes sold into slavery (self-sale or family sale) as concubines. While westerners typically consider this the equivalent of being an involuntary sex slave, that's clearly not the case, as we read in Exodus 21:

If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as menservants do. If she does not please the master who has selected her for himself, he must let her be redeemed. He has no right to sell her to foreigners, because he has broken faith with her. If he selects her for his son, he must grant her the rights of a daughter. If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights. If he does not provide her with these three things, she is to go free, without any payment of money.

A concubine wasn't held against her will and used for sex. She was a true wife, but a secondary or subordinate one. The phrase "marital rights" as well as those in Judges 3 give us insight into a concubine's life: the man who bought her is her husband, his father is her father-in-law, and so on. The practice of keeping concubines is related to polygamy and not to enforced servitude.

These relationships could hardly be considered negative. They let young women voluntarily escape poverty, offered them security and protection, and gave them upward social mobility in the home of a wealthy family. They were also safe from favoritism: if the man took another wife, she was afforded the same basic legal protections as any other wife: food, clothing, and conjugal rights.

Exodus 21:8 says that such women could not be sold to foreigners. The implication is that foreigners wouldn't recognize her personal rights as afforded by Israeli law, and so she could never be redeemed. This shows that a slave's personal rights were more important than a slave owner's "property rights".

Assumption #6: The Old Testament condones involuntary slavery
The Old Testament is clear in its position on involuntary slavery: it was punishable by death:

Anyone who kidnaps another and either sells him or still has him when he is caught must be put to death. Exodus 21:16
If a man is caught kidnapping one of his brother Israelites and treats him as a slave or sells him, the kidnapper must die. You must purge the evil from among you. Deuteronomy 24:7
Involuntary enslavement was, according to the Old Testament, evil.

Assumption #7: The selling of slaves is proof of cruelty
The most common verse used for this claim is Leviticus 25:44...

Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

The assumption here is that this sale would be against the slave's will. However, there's nothing in the Old Testament to bear this out. The Hebrew word from that verse that's translated "buy" suggests a transaction. Considering the Old Testament's view of slavery and the lack of contrary evidence, one could reasonably assume that these transactions were entirely voluntary.

The ancient definitions of freedom and slavery were more relative than absolute. Kings were masters and their subjects were slaves. Rulers subject to others (e.g. emperors) were slaves. Child adoptions were recorded as sales transactions, with the new parents being considered masters. Virtually any subordinate could be considered a slave. The modern definitions of freedom, slavery, property, and ownership don't adequately express the ancient reality.

For an example, read the 15th and 16th verses of Deuteronomy 23:

If a slave has taken refuge with you, do not hand him over to his master. Let him live among you wherever he likes and in whatever town he chooses. Do not oppress him.

The implication here is that the slave belongs to a foreigner, but should be allowed to make a home among the Israelites as he pleases. If slaves were considered property, extradition would have been immediate...since the slave would "belong" to someone else. Extradition back to a foreign slave owner was forbidden, and we might safely assume that this had to do with the difference in how slaves were treated by other cultures.

Note as well the wording of Leviticus 25:46...

You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life...

While it was possible to will foreign slaves to your children, that was not the default. While it was possible to make them slaves for life, that was not the default. It's entirely reasonable to assume that the 'slave for life' clause would be based on the slave's wishes, as it would be for a Hebrew slave.

Assumption #8: Slaves were captured in wartime
During wartime, a city might surrender to Israel. It would then become a vassal state to Israel, and its people would be considered serfs instead of slaves. They would be expected to work on civic projects, as the Israelites did under Solomon's rule.

Considering the fact that such conscriptions included both Hebrews and foreigners, such serfdom would be entirely voluntary. The serf as well as the slave enjoyed the protection and prosperity of the community.

Conclusion
While the Old Testament clearly lists guidelines regarding slavery, it's clear that the type of slavery involved was overwhelmingly voluntary. Most relationships were either initiated by the slave or as an arrangement by the family of the slave as an economic and social benefit. Mistreatment of a slave was forbidden, and slaves were afforded most of the same freedoms and responsibilities as free citizens. The charge that the Bible condones slavery, as the modern western world understands it, is entirely without merit.

Jealous god demanding our love or else be damned:

Absolutely God wants us to love him with all our being, but that love pales in comparison to his love for us.  It pales in comparison to his payment for our sin.  You want to talk the death of a true innocent then consider Jesus Christ....the one without sin, the lamb worthy to be slain.  He gave his life (and experienced a horrific death) as the ultimate payment for our sins.  We neglect the severity of sin because we can only view it with human eyes.  

From post above ==>
If sin is death then everlasting life is an existance without sin enjoying an eternity of God's presence and divine, wonderful attributes.  An eternity in hell would then be seperation from God and all those same divine, wonderful attributes.  We understand the severity of our sin and the ultimate holiness of God and the incompatibility therein.  God is essence of life and all that is good, righteous and holy and because of that "condition" sin has a penalty of death.....clearly shows the gravity of our sin as defined by God.

At this time, that's all I can provide.....thx!!    

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2011, 07:54:46 AM »
It's a lot of information, and a lot of assumptions addressing assumptions.

I'm sure, giving the opportunity, Hitler would pose a similar argument as to why his actions were reasonable given "context". The bible CLEARLY condoned slavery and if God had one iota of problem with slavery he could have forbade it as easily as he forbade adultery, murder, worshipping other gods. Just my 2 cents.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2011, 08:52:44 AM »
It's a lot of information, and a lot of assumptions addressing assumptions.

I'm sure, giving the opportunity, Hitler would pose a similar argument as to why his actions were reasonable given "context". The bible CLEARLY condoned slavery and if God had one iota of problem with slavery he could have forbade it as easily as he forbade adultery, murder, worshipping other gods. Just my 2 cents.

My bad, it was a wall of text LOL!!

You seem to attribute the controlled slavery in the bible to that of say Civil War slavery....forced labor that would work some to death.  This isn't the same situation.  Also remember that the Israelites were delivered from slavery in Egypt.  That was a clear example of forced labor in which people were worked to death.  The slavery depicted among the Israelites is not forced servitude.  This type of slavery was readily used a method for payment of debt when families owing a sum of money had no means to pay.  In essence these men, women and children entered into an agreement with the lender to work off their debt, but they weren't in chains or working day and night with no rest.   There did not exist a formal Human Resources center to protect the worker; therefore, God implemented rules for the ethical treatment of slaves (indebted workers with no other means but sweat to repay said debt).  Some owners of slaves (debt lenders) would get out of hand and beat their slaves (workers)....this treatment wasn't tolerated and was punishable.  No where in scripture does it say we are not to work for others....God wants us to work and work ethically.  Sometimes the sweat from our brows is the only way to pay debt.  People barter their physical services to this day.  Again, this slavery is not Civil War based slavery...this is entirely different.  Why would God deliver the Israelites from forced bondage and then institute forced bondage within their ranks?  And no, the Hilter-context situation, again, the workcamps for the Jews was forced labor, torture, etc.....that relates to the Egyptian slavery God delivered the Israelites from.  The rules for slavery are not about Civil War, Jewish workcamps and that tortorous, barbaric, hellish slavery.  This slavery is about folks working off debt with their hands and being treated appropriately and fairly while doing so.