Author Topic: My monitor just blew up!  (Read 5033 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
My monitor just blew up!
« on: August 21, 2011, 07:00:55 PM »
My monitor just blew up!  It’s a Dell 2407WFP.  I was sitting here using it when it made a funny buzzing sound.  The screen image shook like I’ve never seen… then the screen went black as a little puff of smoke rose from the vents on top.  I’m gonna trash it.  Does anyone even fix flatscreens?

Luckily, I still had my old NEC CRT in the storage room, so I quickly pulled it out and connected it to my computer—didn’t even have to restart. The CRT is a big heavy monitor; after using a flat screen for so long the CRT screen looks tiny, dim, and repulsive.  It is hard to believe we used to use monitors like this daily.

At work, the tech guy said they were gonna buy me a new computer in the next week or two.   I selected a 27” iMac.  So my current work computer 24” iMac is gonna come home with me and be networked to my MacPro; it seems a shame to use the Pro only for it’s drive bays rather than its processing power, but it is a solution for now. :-\

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: My monitor just blew up!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 07:01:44 PM »
My monitor just blew up!  It’s a Dell 2407WFP.  I was sitting here using it when it made a funny buzzing sound.  The screen image shook like I’ve never seen… then the screen went black as a little puff of smoke rose from the vents on top.  I’m gonna trash it.  Does anyone even fix flatscreens?

Luckily, I still had my old NEC CRT in the storage room, so I quickly pulled it out and connected it to my computer—didn’t even have to restart. The CRT is a big heavy monitor; after using a flat screen for so long the CRT screen looks tiny, dim, and repulsive.  It is hard to believe we used to use monitors like this daily.

At work, the tech guy said they were gonna buy me a new computer in the next week or two.   I selected a 27” iMac.  So my current work computer 24” iMac is gonna come home with me and be networked to my MacPro; it seems a shame to use the Pro only for it’s drive bays rather than its processing power, but it is a solution for now. :-\

Were you in "mid-jerk"?

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 07:01:50 PM »
that's because you re a sinner.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 07:04:15 PM »
Johan did it.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 07:04:27 PM »

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 07:11:49 PM »
Who else was expecting the post to be something along the lines of "...when I saw this picture" and then some picture of a muscle hunk

This is disappointing  >:(

:D

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 07:14:07 PM »
In b4 designed to fail conspiracy.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 07:15:19 PM »
Who else was expecting the post to be something along the lines of "...when I saw this picture" and then some picture of a muscle hunk

This is disappointing  >:(

:D
Specifically, a Scaly-Skinned, Oversized Pawed, Pink-Toned, Pig Bear with facial hair and with a Brutal GH gut.

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 07:28:31 PM »
Riveting.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 07:29:21 PM »
In b4 designed to fail conspiracy.

Yah, but what about building 7?

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 07:31:15 PM »
it's all over once the essential magic smoke escapes

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 07:33:47 PM »
aren't you a university professor?

does that mean we, the taxpayer, are partially funding your masturbation sessions?
Deep Tissue Massage

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 08:00:05 PM »
Things fall apart.  It's scientific.

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 08:04:10 PM »

reppingfor20

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 08:16:24 PM »
you were using a PC???!!!!!!   
TEAM Nasser

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 08:18:52 PM »
If you're getting a new computer, please send your old keyboard to assbruise.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 08:20:09 PM »
Things fall apart.  It's scientific.
x2 

sorry for your loss  bay..    :P

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 08:30:59 PM »
Get you a new hewlett Packard they been in business for years ... they will be in the PC industry foever  ;D

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 08:40:14 PM »
I selected a 27” iMac. 

Get a Wang.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 08:44:35 PM »

Easier to fix yourself.  Just google possible fixes....order the parts....take the thing apart and do it yourself.  Then again, 24" screens are damn near $120 now.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 09:02:27 PM »
Easier to fix yourself.  Just google possible fixes....order the parts....take the thing apart and do it yourself.  Then again, 24" screens are damn near $120 now.

Nothing is easier than throwing it away!  :)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 09:19:02 PM »
Bay, I seem to have the same problem with expensive cameras and their accessories. These past five years I've thrown away 4 expensive cameras including one Nikon because of one failure or another because I couldn't find anyone who was capable of fixing them without charging a huge expense.

So now I accept the fact that I somehow unknowningly abuse cameras and their accessories (lens's), etc ... and now only purchase cheap cameras  in the $100 to $125 price range which seem to work just as well photo-wise  but they do .... BREAK A LOT FASTER.

I actually cried when my Nikonos was broken down to ever conceivable part in my attempt to clean it and discovered that it was impossible to place together again. So now I use a Kodak in a plastic see through baggy.

Might be a lesson here someplace for ya.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 09:23:29 PM »

LOL I blew up my computer once, smoke and everything...  I was living in London at the time, and the desktop I was using had a switch that accepts dual-voltages,  UK obviously runs on 220 Volts.....  By accident once I flicked the switch over to 110 Volts, and BOOM, heard this explosion inside the case and smoke just starts coming up!  Shit made me jump!   ;D

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 09:24:57 PM »
LOL I blew up my computer once, smoke and everything...  I was living in London at the time, and the desktop I was using had a switch that accepts dual-voltages,  UK obviously runs on 220 Volts.....  By accident once I flicked the switch over to 110 Volts, and BOOM, heard this explosion inside the case and smoke just starts coming up!  Shit made me jump!   ;D
ach will you be purchasing battlefield 3 and if so will you be purchasing console or pc and if pc would you be upset if i quick or no scope you over and over

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2011, 10:02:59 PM »

Did the London Police then arrest you under the terrorism act?