Author Topic: MLK Memorial made in China and sculpted with 10 Chinese Masons  (Read 7768 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: MLK Memorial made in China and sculpted with 10 Chinese Masons
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 06:27:20 AM »
Martin Luther King memorial made in China

It is perhaps a fitting tribute to racial co-operation. However, the decision to outsource to China the carving of a new national memorial to Martin Luther King has raised eyebrows in the United States.

The 30ft-tall statue, which forms the centrepiece of a $120 million (£73 million), four-acre memorial to Dr King, opened to the public on Monday on the National Mall in Washington. It is the only memorial on the Mall that does not honour a president or fallen soldiers.

Standing in the shadow of the Washington Monument, the statue shows Dr King emerging from a mountain of Chinese granite with his arms crossed and is called The Stone of Hope.

However, there has been controversy over the choice of Lei Yixin, a 57-year-old master sculptor from Changsha in Hunan province, to carry out the work. Critics have openly asked why a black, or at least an American, artist was not chosen and even remarked that Dr King appears slightly Asian in Mr Lei's rendering.

Mr Lei, who has in the past carved two statues of Mao Tse-tung, one of which stands in the former garden of Mao Anqing, the Chinese leader's son, carried out almost all of the work in Changsha.

More than 150 granite blocks, weighing some 1,600 tons, were then shipped from Xiamen to the port of Baltimore, and reassembled by a team of 100 workmen, including ten Chinese stone masons brought over specifically for the project.

"I have seen probably 50 sculptures of my dad, and I would say 47 of them are not good reflections," he said, to USA Today."This particular artist: he has done a good job."

However, Ed Dwight, a sculptor in Denver, said Dr King would be "turning over in his grave" if he knew his likeness had been conceived by someone living under a Communist regime.

"He would rise up from his grave and walk into their offices and go, 'How dare you?'"

Mr Lei was chosen after the memorial's fund-raisers observed him at work at a stone carver's symposium in Minnesota. Amid the criticism, the architects in charge of the project said that they had visited Mr Lei's studio in Changsha to find he had already carved several versions of the work.

He has also prepared a bronze bust of Barack Obama which he intends to gift to the president.

The new memorial is next to the Lincoln Memorial, on whose steps Dr King delivered his "I have a dream" speech in 1963, a defining moment in the American Civil Rights movement. The statue will be officially dedicated on Sunday, the anniversary of the speech, but the park has opened in advance to visitors. Around 400,000 people are expected in the run-up to Sunday's event.

The statue, meanwhile, will be 11ft taller than the statues in the Lincoln and Jefferson memorials. It is unclear how much money was saved by making it in China.

________________________ ________________________

Unfreaking real.   Disgusting. 

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 06:41:43 AM »
You forgot about the designer of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in your rush to racism, thimble-brain.   ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 06:44:50 AM »
You forgot about the designer of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in your rush to racism, thimble-brain.   ::)

Your point? 

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 06:47:22 AM »
Your point? 
Now you can't read!? Oh brother.

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 06:54:57 AM »
You know ... it's quite funny, 333386. I've NEVER seen you once post anything remotely related to bb'ing. Tell me something. Do you even like bb'ing ?? Or do you just prefer to showcase the evils of the black race ? Or, as some of you have been popularized in saying, the " negroid " race. LOL. What year is this again ?? LOL !!

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 07:03:43 AM »
You know ... it's quite funny, 333386. I've NEVER seen you once post anything remotely related to bb'ing. Tell me something. Do you even like bb'ing ?? Or do you just prefer to showcase the evils of the black race ? Or, as some of you have been popularized in saying, the " negroid " race. LOL. What year is this again ?? LOL !!
He just posts these horrible stories so he can 'exercise' his racism. Kind of like the pyro who sets the fire, and then returns when a crowd has assembled to watch the building burn. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 07:06:31 AM »
Yawn - as opposed to saying:   "This is fucked up, we should be building this stuff instead of the chinese"

No, make the poster the issue. 

Typical and predictable.   

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 07:08:59 AM »
Yawn - as opposed to saying:   "This is fucked up, we should be building this stuff instead of the chinese"

No, make the poster the issue. 

Typical and predictable.   
If anyone is 'typical and predictable' it's you. Same shit, different day. Not an imaginative bone in your body. ::)

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 07:18:30 AM »
Very good posts, Dr. Chimps. Very good posts. :)

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 07:29:48 AM »
However, Ed Dwight, a sculptor in Denver, said Dr King would be "turning over in his grave" if he knew his likeness had been conceived by someone living under a Communist regime.

Speaking for the dead.  ::)

American vision of foreigners.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 07:30:52 AM »
Speaking for the dead.  ::)

American vision of foreigners.

I don't understand this post.
G

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 07:33:31 AM »

You're actually on to something...I've never seen number boy post anything bodybuilding related, has he competed, does he work in the fitness industry???. 
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 07:36:32 AM »

You're actually on to something...I've never seen number boy post anything bodybuilding related, has he competed, does he work in the fitness industry???. 

Did 5 shows - already posted a few pics awhile back - and trust me - I dont have man boobs like you do. 

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 07:39:48 AM »
Did 5 shows - already posted a few pics awhile back - and trust me - I dont have man boobs like you do. 

Really, please show us those pictures
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 07:43:06 AM »

Really, please show us those pictures

Go ask TA.     

Never did roids or the sauce.   

Have been lifting since 16, competed in track n field Div 1 in college in the throwing events, have done various martial arts since 17 y/o. 

Did a few shows for shits and giggles, but it got boring going through all that nonsense and now I just do martial arts and lift.   

First show I did was way back  - Ronnie guest posed and Kai won the overall. 

jedibrat

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 07:48:41 AM »
Dr. King would have been pleased by this example of racial harmony and cooperation. Now children, lets all join hands and sing Kumbayah.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 07:54:13 AM »
Dr. King would have been pleased by this example of racial harmony and cooperation. Now children, lets all join hands and sing Kumbayah.

At least his family got paid

________________________ _______________________

KING 'MONUMENT TO GREED'
AP

Last Updated: 3:29 AM, April 18, 2009

WASHINGTON -- The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s family has charged the foundation building a monument to the civil-rights leader on the National Mall about $800,000 to use his words and image -- and at least one scholar thinks that Dr. King would find such an arrangement offensive.

The memorial is being paid for almost entirely through a fund-raising campaign led by the Martin Luther King Jr. National Memorial Project Foundation.

"I don't think the Jefferson family, the Lincoln family [or] any other group of family ancestors has been paid a licensing fee for a memorial in Washington," said Cambridge University historian David Garrow, author of a Pulitzer Prize-winning biography of Dr. King. ". . . [He would've been] absolutely scandalized."

Financial documents revealed that the foundation paid $761,160 in 2007 to Intellectual Properties Management Inc., an entity run by the King family. They also showed that a $71,700 "management" fee was paid to the family estate in 2003.

NEW YORK POST is a registered trademark of NYP Holdings, Inc.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/item_4DTe3bj9QcHd7Y2Hpvmp1O#ixzz1VrclAe2D

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 08:00:43 AM »
that's awesome, generation nothingness profiting off their dad taking bricks to the head.
Deep Tissue Massage

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 08:02:25 AM »
that's awesome, generation nothingness profiting off their dad taking bricks to the head.

Keepin it real. 

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 10:09:24 AM »
Martin won't recover.

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 10:14:30 AM »
haha, good shit!!

:D

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 10:18:40 AM »
what? NO love for Timothy Jones   ???

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 10:28:12 AM »
Go ask TA.     

Never did roids or the sauce.   

Have been lifting since 16, competed in track n field Div 1 in college in the throwing events, have done various martial arts since 17 y/o. 

Did a few shows for shits and giggles, but it got boring going through all that nonsense and now I just do martial arts and lift.   

First show I did was way back  - Ronnie guest posed and Kai won the overall. 
He did a few shows and presented a very good physique.  I have seen the pictures.

The NAACP was actually outraged at this and rightfully so.  American Granite should have been used along with an American Artist in my opinion.  The symbolism means too much to just outsource it, although King`s message was one of unity so I do not think he would have minded.