Author Topic: HOW TO MANAGE/WHAT TO TAKE FOR BRUTAL POST-WORKOUT MUSCLE PAIN????  (Read 5423 times)

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
I generally work out 4 to 5 days a week for just over an hour each time, medium-heavy weights for maximum 6 sets of 10 reps each body part entire body worked 2X a week, abs and calves every session...  what BOTHERS me is (even though I supplement with lots of vitamin C, a couple of multis,  extra calcium & magnesium, potassium, fish oil, kelp, alfalfa, turmeric, lecithin, and vitamin D-3) I get terrible muscle pain- hurts like hell when I put on my seatbelt, can't sit for more than 10-15 min. as I stiffen up, etc....

My diet is high protein, I'm 6ft 225-230lb so I eat 6 eggs and one piece of multi-grain toast/bagel ever morning and 6 eggs & 1 bread again for dinner. 

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Re: HOW TO MANAGE/WHAT TO TAKE FOR BRUTAL POST-WORKOUT MUSCLE PAIN????
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 12:35:33 PM »
Are you talking soreness or something more than that?

Have you ever used glutamine? 
R

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:19:22 AM »
Are you talking soreness or something more than that?

Have you ever used glutamine? 
Soreness that seems like it's right to the bone- arms, back, legs after squats, etc...  I take two or three 2-scoop protein shakes plus 12 eggs a day so I thought my Glutamine intake was OK??  Or am I wrong?

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 08:26:01 AM »
Soreness that seems like it's right to the bone- arms, back, legs after squats, etc...  I take two or three 2-scoop protein shakes plus 12 eggs a day so I thought my Glutamine intake was OK??  Or am I wrong?

I'm talking about an L- Glutamine powder that you mix w/liquid....really has no taste....    It seemed to help me w/soreness when I was working out intensely.

I wonder if the soreness you are talking about is something more than regular soreness?  When you say you can't sit for more than 10-15 min afterward do you mean you have to get up and walk around because the pain is so intense in the muscle group you worked?  How old are you (you can PM this or just give a range if you want)?  How much water are you drinking per day?

R

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 08:45:57 AM »
I'm talking about an L- Glutamine powder that you mix w/liquid....really has no taste....    It seemed to help me w/soreness when I was working out intensely.

I wonder if the soreness you are talking about is something more than regular soreness?  When you say you can't sit for more than 10-15 min afterward do you mean you have to get up and walk around because the pain is so intense in the muscle group you worked?  How old are you (you can PM this or just give a range if you want)?  How much water are you drinking per day?

I drink at LEAST 8 glasses of filtered water a day (3 big workout bottles during a workout for instance), my age is 43 (I just look a lot younger), the pain isn't so bad I have to get up, it is that I will become VERY stiff if I don't.  The extra Glutamine really helped??

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 02:13:13 PM »
Sounds like hydration and post-workout stretching might help.  Also, make sure you warm up before hitting the weights.
:

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 11:16:05 AM »
I drink at LEAST 8 glasses of filtered water a day (3 big workout bottles during a workout for instance), my age is 43 (I just look a lot younger), the pain isn't so bad I have to get up, it is that I will become VERY stiff if I don't.  The extra Glutamine really helped??

I do feel like the Glutamine helped a lot. 

Maybe you're getting enough water but if not maybe try to drink about 1 and 1/2 gallons to even 2 gallons of water a day and see if that helps.  Yes, you will be peeing a lot!

R

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 12:09:46 PM »
Sounds like hydration and post-workout stretching might help.  Also, make sure you warm up before hitting the weights.

I'm already doing a good warm up but I really have to start now doing post-workout stretching as you say.  I have been leaving the gym immediately after finishing my last set and then 15-20 min. when I get home & shower it really hits...  ALSO I will be taking Butterbean's advice, I got the Glutamine this morning and I'll report back.....  Thanks again!!

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 12:11:28 PM »
I do feel like the Glutamine helped a lot. 

Maybe you're getting enough water but if not maybe try to drink about 1 and 1/2 gallons to even 2 gallons of water a day and see if that helps.  Yes, you will be peeing a lot!

^^
I will be taking your advice, I got the Glutamine this A.M., also I have to start doing post-workout stretching.  Thanks guys, I will report back here on my progress.....

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
^^
I will be taking your advice, I got the Glutamine this A.M., also I have to start doing post-workout stretching.  Thanks guys, I will report back here on my progress.....

I hope you get relief!  Don't forget to up the water intake if you need to.
R

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 09:33:21 AM »
I hope you get relief!  Don't forget to up the water intake if you need to.
^^
Thanks bro, I will monitor EVERYTHING from now on... I'll update in a week!

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 10:27:39 AM »
^^
Thanks bro, I will monitor EVERYTHING from now on... I'll update in a week!

Looking forward to the update broham  :)
R

w8m8

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 11:25:33 AM »
Looking forward to the update broham  :)

LOL  ;D

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 11:31:02 AM »
 ;D
R

Dr Kincaid

• Getbig III
  • Ice machine broken
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 02:20:47 AM »
I generally work out 4 to 5 days a week for just over an hour each time, medium-heavy weights for maximum 6 sets of 10 reps each body part entire body worked 2X a week, abs and calves every session...  what BOTHERS me is (even though I supplement with lots of vitamin C, a couple of multis,  extra calcium & magnesium, potassium, fish oil, kelp, alfalfa, turmeric, lecithin, and vitamin D-3) I get terrible muscle pain- hurts like hell when I put on my seatbelt, can't sit for more than 10-15 min. as I stiffen up, etc....

My diet is high protein, I'm 6ft 225-230lb so I eat 6 eggs and one piece of multi-grain toast/bagel ever morning and 6 eggs & 1 bread again for dinner. 

Sounds like you have gone to hard for to long.
Draining of the central nervous system is tough to avoid with that kind of schedule that focus's on the compounds.
You ain't going to like it but a break is the only remedy.
When you come back after 3 weeks Start with a 3 day a week split for 2 weeks.
You may find a new appreciation for recovery and how it is a factor that needs nurturing to get the most out of everything.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 10:39:25 AM »
Sounds like you have gone to hard for to long.
Draining of the central nervous system is tough to avoid with that kind of schedule that focus's on the compounds.
You ain't going to like it but a break is the only remedy.
When you come back after 3 weeks Start with a 3 day a week split for 2 weeks.
You may find a new appreciation for recovery and how it is a factor that needs nurturing to get the most out of everything.

Thanks for your advice, I have already started a time limit in the gym- 45 minutes and no more.  I figure if your rest periods are short anyway you can only hammer yourself so hard.... 4 days a week at 45 min. each session.  Previously I was spending on average 1 hour + 15 minutes.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 10:19:41 AM »
^^

How's it going?
R

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
How's it going?
^^^
One week after, I feel surprisingly so much better!!!  IF someone had told me it was a Glutamine deficiency before I would have SWORN it wasn't (I was convinced personally I was using up MASS amounts of vitamin C, so I had increased that to 5g a day!!).  THANK YOU GUYS,  and GAL (Princess L) if you guys hadn't helped me I would have had no other clues- I'm sure other people go thru this as well!!!  Thanks again....

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 02:10:24 PM »
^^^
One week after, I feel surprisingly so much better!!!  IF someone had told me it was a Glutamine deficiency before I would have SWORN it wasn't (I was convinced personally I was using up MASS amounts of vitamin C, so I had increased that to 5g a day!!).  THANK YOU GUYS,  and GAL (Princess L) if you guys hadn't helped me I would have had no other clues- I'm sure other people go thru this as well!!!  Thanks again....

Getbig has all the answers ;D

Glad you are feeling better/found relief!
R

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 09:28:36 PM »
Getbig has all the answers ;D

Glad you are feeling better/found relief!
^^
I'm feeling even BETTER today- Labor Day- had a 7 mile power-walk, felt incredible even though it was pretty hot!!!  Very little residual deep-ache muscle pain even though I hit the weights hard 45 min, 4 days a week now (5 days just TOO MUCH... :o).

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 11:47:19 PM »

Has it occurred to you that you might be over training? If you are doing everything else right and you are still this sore, something isn't right, obviously. You could try training each muscle group once a week to see if that makes a difference. Another thing to try would be to do three to five, instead of six sets on each exercise. Lastly, you could reduce the weight and concentrate instead on using excellent form. Contrary to what some folks think, soreness is not indicative of muscle or strength growth. In fact if you over train, you can actually retard muscle development.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 09:11:46 AM »
Has it occurred to you that you might be over training? If you are doing everything else right and you are still this sore, something isn't right, obviously. You could try training each muscle group once a week to see if that makes a difference. Another thing to try would be to do three to five, instead of six sets on each exercise. Lastly, you could reduce the weight and concentrate instead on using excellent form. Contrary to what some folks think, soreness is not indicative of muscle or strength growth. In fact if you over train, you can actually retard muscle development.

^^
I have already reduced my workouts to 45min X 4 days a week, and the Glutamine, Stretching, CLOSER monitoring of water intake, and upping my vitamin intake particularly Cal-Mag, multi's, and Fish Oil.  My pain has virtually gone and I just feel the same "sweet ache" of growth pain I USED to feel when I was in my teens.  You guys all helped me a lot, AND it was hard to come to grips with my obvious over-trained state I was stuck in.  I hope everyone who has this condition reads this and applies some or all of the advice- in my case it really worked!

Again, thanks to everyone and maybe I can help someone in time... :) :) :)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 08:01:16 PM »
^^^
One week after, I feel surprisingly so much better!!!  IF someone had told me it was a Glutamine deficiency before I would have SWORN it wasn't (I was convinced personally I was using up MASS amounts of vitamin C, so I had increased that to 5g a day!!).  THANK YOU GUYS,  and GAL (Princess L) if you guys hadn't helped me I would have had no other clues- I'm sure other people go thru this as well!!!  Thanks again....

Butters is a gal too ;D

:

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 07:47:56 AM »
^^
I have already reduced my workouts to 45min X 4 days a week, and the Glutamine, Stretching, CLOSER monitoring of water intake, and upping my vitamin intake particularly Cal-Mag, multi's, and Fish Oil.  My pain has virtually gone and I just feel the same "sweet ache" of growth pain I USED to feel when I was in my teens.  You guys all helped me a lot, AND it was hard to come to grips with my obvious over-trained state I was stuck in.  I hope everyone who has this condition reads this and applies some or all of the advice- in my case it really worked!

Again, thanks to everyone and maybe I can help someone in time... :) :) :)

Very nice post

Butters is a gal too ;D

lol @ the pic ;D
R

Bigmacdaddy18

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 11:44:28 AM »
you need to start repairing BEFORE you get that pain. buy some bcaa's and take 3-5 before you train(about 1500mgs) and take a great intro-workout bcaa/eaa formula DURING your workout. i like Champions Amino Shooter Core, tastes good, high potency and mixes easy.