Author Topic: Barbell shrugs  (Read 8647 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Barbell shrugs
« on: September 02, 2011, 07:26:11 PM »
Anyone do these with a mixed grip? I've always used a double overhand, seen a few guys use mixed, any difference? I would assume you can hold more weight mixed but I don't have a problem holding the weight I use now, any other reason for it?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

wild willie

• Getbig V
Re: Barbell shrugs
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 08:15:15 PM »
Double overhand grip.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 12:43:19 AM »
Anyone do these with a mixed grip? I've always used a double overhand, seen a few guys use mixed, any difference? I would assume you can hold more weight mixed but I don't have a problem holding the weight I use now, any other reason for it?
I avoid them since they bother my "package".  ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 02:15:57 AM »
I like Dumbbells better... ;D

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 06:20:27 AM »
ive been doing seated dumbbells recently, have the d/bs touching together under my legs then shrug them up in an ark, pulling diagonally back.. feels much stricter

i used to go heavy on bbell shrugs, but they started to bother my forearms

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 07:02:41 PM »
i always worry about a torn bicep with underhand gips
w

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 07:57:37 AM »
The over/under (mixed grip.... though never heard it called that) grip is used by men when heavier weight is used. It helps to keep the bar from rolling away from the grip and dropped. Some guy's will switch the over/under grip from time to time. Like the right hand over and the left hand under. Next workout it will be right hand under and left hand over.

BB'ers tend to use the overhand grip with straps. Straps allow more focus on the muscle area being worked (lat's or traps...DL & Shrugs) and the worry about the grip slipping is not an issue. If you grip gives out before finishing a heavy set of shrugs, than the traps are not getting the full benefit of the shrugs and are cheated from being worked to their fullest. Quite a few men use straps on heavy lat pull downs or weighted chins.

The torque on the biceps, with an over/under grip should not be that much of a concern. Though a few PL'ers have torn the biceps. Usually going for max 1 reps work or setting new records at lifting meets. Men who use extreme amounts of drugs may be more open to this style injury  to the muscle inserts, tendons & ligaments.

If worried about "The Package" than use a Trap or Shrug bar. This type bar is preferred, whatever the case, because the grip is in a more natural position (thumbs forward) and less body torque from the spine/hips up. Doing DL's, no bother that the bar will be hitting the shines or knees. Good Luck.
F

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 01:23:42 PM »
shrugs with the standing calf machine im tellin you

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 08:05:25 AM »
Agree with TbombZ. Keeps the hands/grip free and you can also alternate shrugs from side to side. Not too many people take advantage of this trap movement.

There is a exercise, rarely used any more, that hits the traps well. That's the Hise shrug. Having the bar on the shoulders, like getting ready for squatting, just shrug the shoulders up as high as possible. Going to need a towel or some other form of light padding, for some guy's. Can work up to some impress weight this way. The Hise shrug, back in the day, was noted as a growth exercise when higher reps (20 or more), with deep breathing, was preformed.

Something to be said for just holding a heavy weight in place, which affects the joints, tendons & ligaments in a good way. Remembering that your only hold, and not move, that extra heavy weight.  Example being BB squats, DL's, overhead presses and top position benches. Even the middle position (90 degrees) of a BB curl. Good Luck.
F

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 12:21:16 PM »
shrugs with the standing calf machine im tellin you

Agreed...very good for the traps !

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 12:45:53 PM »
I have always done them with a double overhand and if the weight was too much for my grip then i used straps. One of the very few movements i would ever recommend straps for.

DB shrugs seem to work better for me today, but back when i was heavy into powerlifting i would do extremely heavy BB shrugs to help with the deadlift.

Shrugs in the calf machine are great but most gyms calf machines are very limited in weight. I know i can warm up with the entire stack on the calf machine at LA fitness and my calves are not nearly as strong as they were many years ago.

8)

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 03:18:31 PM »
Agree with TbombZ. Keeps the hands/grip free and you can also alternate shrugs from side to side. Not too many people take advantage of this trap movement.

There is a exercise, rarely used any more, that hits the traps well. That's the Hise shrug. Having the bar on the shoulders, like getting ready for squatting, just shrug the shoulders up as high as possible. Going to need a towel or some other form of light padding, for some guy's. Can work up to some impress weight this way. The Hise shrug, back in the day, was noted as a growth exercise when higher reps (20 or more), with deep breathing, was preformed.

Something to be said for just holding a heavy weight in place, which affects the joints, tendons & ligaments in a good way. Remembering that your only hold, and not move, that extra heavy weight.  Example being BB squats, DL's, overhead presses and top position benches. Even the middle position (90 degrees) of a BB curl. Good Luck.

Wow, interesting concept - I've never heard of those before - will give them a try next time I'm doing traps.  8)

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 08:11:20 PM »
x2, better rom.
T

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 08:22:57 PM »
This. Right motherfucking here is the. answer.
G

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 09:19:08 PM »
Nobody has answered the question about mixed grip though. :(

I prefer DB's but this new gym only goes to 145#, so I usually hit DB, then barbell, mostly in the angled smith machine as you can lean forward a bit and the barbell stays off your junk and the bar comes up and back for a nice contraction in the traps.

However, the question posed is WTF is up with people using mixed grip and does it have any advantage over double overhand?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 12:49:49 AM »
like jpm101 said it prevents the bar from rolling over...so you can use more weight without scared having the bar falling off
T

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 05:23:19 AM »
like jpm101 said it prevents the bar from rolling over...so you can use more weight without scared having the bar falling off
Funny, when I clicked on "new" for the replys it skipped over most everyones posts and I missed all that.

Interesting shrugs, those Hise shrugs....
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 07:01:36 AM »
Wouldnt a mixed grip be extremely dangerous tearing a bicep?

I feel my biceps tight with overhand...cant imagine with a mixed grip.. :-X

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 08:51:34 AM »

the only time i use mixed grip is when i do deadlift,and i never go too heavy on shrugs..
focus on lifting the bar by raising your shoulder...i found that gripping too much will accidently involve the forearm,biceps etc...so using straps is another good option..
T

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 12:51:27 PM »
the standing calf machine in my gym has a 500lb weight stack on it, i do three sets with the full stack, 8-10 reps each.. i could never do that much weight using a barbell or dumbells.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 06:39:43 AM »
Funny, when I clicked on "new" for the replys it skipped over most everyones posts and I missed all that.

Interesting shrugs, those Hise shrugs....

I tried doing shrugs with cables the last two times{front then rear}can only go as heavy as the bottom pin so I do alot of reps but damn it's a good stretch.

....got nice and sore both x's 8)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 08:20:55 AM »
Can also try a extra wide grip for shrugs or even a narrow (6" or closer) hand spacing.. The extra wide (collar to collar if you can)grip stretches the traps & upper back very well. Gives a whole new feeling to the exercise. Over hand grip preferred.

Only trouble wit DB's is that the heavier the weight the more the DB's drag or rub against the  legs. Even sitting on a bench, there will be some obstructions. That's why a trap/shrug bar is suggested. Each uses a more natural thumb forward grip. Good Luck.
F

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 01:49:41 PM »

Every single bicep tear i have heard of or seen with my own eyes was while doing heavy deads or shrugs with a mixed grip. If you understand body mechanics you will see why very quickly.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't use a mixed grip, it's just putting a little more pressure on that tendon and increasing the risk of injury IMO.

Plenty of world class deadlifters use a mixed grip with no problems, so a lot of it could just be odds or genetic weaknesses.

8)

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 05:15:27 PM »
I don't perform shrugs any more....

but when I did.....

I absolutely loved Hammer Strength shrugs!!!

Standing not seated.

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 05:21:49 PM »
I avoid them since they bother my "package".  ;D

I do shrugs with a cambered bar, so no problem for my package

:D