Author Topic: Barbell shrugs  (Read 8657 times)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Barbell shrugs
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 07:11:56 PM »
Some PL'ers I know include heavy BB cheat curls (or DB) from time to time, in good form (you can do any cheating exercise in "good" form). Tend to work at strengthen the bicep inserts, they say. Heavy can mean from 225 up.

Football linemen tend to receive their share of bicep ruptures. As well as tricep tears. They all include forms of Dl's, puills & shrugs in their workouts. Of course drug abuse will have a  effect on muscle tears/ruptures. Biceps, quads & pecs usually. Good Luck.
F

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 03:42:00 AM »
I don't perform shrugs any more....

but when I did.....

I absolutely loved Hammer Strength shrugs!!!

Standing not seated.
The "shrug machine"?

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 08:02:24 AM »
Aside from a barbell and dumbbell I like to use the smith machine and the hammer strength machine is good too.  Specifically this one:  http://www.lifefitness.com/commercial/hammerstrength/plateloaded/groundbase/squathighpull.html

8)

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2011, 10:43:03 AM »

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 03:34:40 PM »
Aside from a barbell and dumbbell I like to use the smith machine and the hammer strength machine is good too.  Specifically this one:  http://www.lifefitness.com/commercial/hammerstrength/plateloaded/groundbase/squathighpull.html

8)
smith is good to do behind back reverse shrug .

SaltShaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2011, 10:13:36 AM »
Anyone do these with a mixed grip? I've always used a double overhand, seen a few guys use mixed, any difference? I would assume you can hold more weight mixed but I don't have a problem holding the weight I use now, any other reason for it?
i can never do it properly with double overhand.. i used a mixed grip successfully for a while, but couldnt stop thinking that it might fuck up the symetricity of the muscles if one is overhand and one is underhand ( even though i changed the hands every set).

now i just use dumbells, upright rows  and shrug machines

Loc

• Getbig II
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 03:16:50 PM »
I don't recommend using mixed grip on barbell shrugs because 1 trap might be hit differently than the other, and biceps might get involved. Use straps if you have to.

Domthemilky

• Getbig II
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2012, 06:31:48 AM »
Always find that barbell shrugs do not hit my traps anywhere near as hard as dumbell shrugs. Just very awkward holding the bar like that. I also never use straps so my grip is alot stronger in dumbell shrugs or machien shrugs where your hands are neutral not overhand.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2012, 10:24:54 AM »
Anyone do these with a mixed grip? I've always used a double overhand, seen a few guys use mixed, any difference? I would assume you can hold more weight mixed but I don't have a problem holding the weight I use now, any other reason for it?
i use a mixed grip and chalk once i get to 405 and over, the reason is that i hate straps, they always end up balling up in my hand.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2012, 06:48:20 PM »
When shruging, the attempt (or picture in the mind) is to try raising the traps as high as the ears. In other words, raise the traps as high as possible for you. At the highest point that the traps reach, hold that contraction for 2 seconds and than release the bar down to the starting position. You also want quick, powerful reps.  Doing reps, for the traps, as quickly as you can influence that short range, but powerful , muscle group greatly. Also make sure the elbows are locked throughout the pulling motion of the traps, you do not want the biceps to help with this exercise in any way. Mistake most guy's make. Go forth the 12 to 15 reps range for BB'ing.

As stated before, the trap/shrug bar will match the purpose of most lifters. The thumbs are facing forward, in a more natiral and functional position.

Just my view, but the best execise for the traps are cleans. So many men really do not get the most out of regular shrugs. For BB'er, you might try a set of strict shrugs (elbows locked) followed right away with cleans. This form of SS'ing (actually pre-exhaust) almost forces traps to grow. 10-12 reps for this combo. Good luck.
F

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2012, 08:32:54 AM »
lowered the weight on shrugs to 135lbs last few workouts and traps are respoding nicely.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2012, 09:42:48 AM »
lowered the weight on shrugs to 135lbs last few workouts and traps are respoding nicely.
i go for a good range of motion with a weight that allows this. .. some people go too heavy and end up with bad form.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2012, 04:48:31 PM »
IMO most go too heavy and don't get a full range of motion. I find it helps if I lean my head forward to allow the traps to get a peak contraction at the top of the movement and let my arms "hang" at the bottom.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2012, 07:51:24 PM »
bumped the weight to 155 today, sore as fuck !!!  ;D

NY MUSCLE

• Getbig II
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2012, 06:18:43 PM »
i find over hand grip works best for me and when your weights go up and they will over time straps need to come into play. I am a big fan of behind the back shrugs i find they take a lot of pressure off the lower back and enables a different range of motion. 

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2012, 09:12:07 PM »
back down to 135, using the smith machine, holy fuck im sore for fucking days afterwards, and just 2 or 3 sets of 10-12 reps too. hahah. fucking helll.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2012, 12:18:23 AM »
 When I realized that deadlifts do way more for my traps than shrugs, I pretty much stopped doing them.
Occasionally when I do them though  my rule is to never use more weight on shrugs than I can pull from the floor.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2012, 12:40:17 PM »
cant believe how my traps are responding to this low weight, squeezing stuff.  finally poppping up off mmy shoulders, coming up to my neck nicely.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2012, 05:04:57 PM »
double overhand... mixing up the grip makes no sense... if it's a grip issue strap it up