Author Topic: Westboro Baptist Church family disowns daughter — 20/20  (Read 20840 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Re: Westboro Baptist Church family disowns daughter — 20/20
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2011, 06:09:03 AM »
ok, seriously....  Let's say there is in reality only one god and one path as butterbean undersands there to be and thus as is said, only one way to enternal life.

Now lets say we have this silly stupid dude who has gone about his merry way in life doing the best he can and treating others along the way in a fair and reasonable way all along... actually there are people like that!  He's done his best to live his life in a fashion that doesn't take advantage of others, but he has never been the religious type.  according to most christian doctrine, this man is going to hell despite what life he has led if he does not accept Jesus as his freaking savior ::)  Sounds like bollocks to me...

That is part of Christian exceptionalism and every time you hear that they have pity for nonbelievers or pary for them it is really just arrogance disguised as piety and means that we are the 'chosen ones' and you are not, not to mention it makes them feel better thinking they are special when others are not.
I hate the State.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2011, 07:25:32 AM »
That is part of Christian exceptionalism and every time you hear that they have pity for nonbelievers or pary for them it is really just arrogance disguised as piety and means that we are the 'chosen ones' and you are not, not to mention it makes them feel better thinking they are special when others are not.

If this is true, why would we devote any time/money/etc at all to spreading the gospel?

Not everyone looks down on you.  Some of us love you and want what we believe is the best for you!
R

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2011, 07:27:54 AM »
If this is true, why would we devote any time/money/etc at all to spreading the gospel?

Not everyone looks down on you.  Some of us love you and want what we believe is the best for you!

Another good question. I'm sure partly because you care, but I wonder if it could also be attributed to "If I get him/her to share my belief, or agree with my belief,  it validates my belief, because deep down, when many christians really think about their belief, they probably have doubts. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2011, 07:33:14 AM »
Another good question. I'm sure partly because you care, but I wonder if it could also be attributed to "If I get him/her to share my belief, or agree with my belief,  it validates my belief, because deep down, when many christians really think about their belief, they probably have doubts. 

Never considered the "validation" theory.  That does not apply to me and I wouldn't think it would apply to others but of course I can't speak for others on that.
R

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2011, 07:43:26 AM »
ok, seriously....  Let's say there is in reality only one god and one path as butterbean undersands there to be and thus as is said, only one way to enternal life.

Now lets say we have this silly stupid dude who has gone about his merry way in life doing the best he can and treating others along the way in a fair and reasonable way all along... actually there are people like that!  He's done his best to live his life in a fashion that doesn't take advantage of others, but he has never been the religious type.  according to most christian doctrine, this man is going to hell despite what life he has led if he does not accept Jesus as his freaking savior ::)  Sounds like bollocks to me...

The Christian faith, according to the Bible teaches that such a person will be given a chance, one way or another, to receive the the good news about Jesus Christ, an opportunity to be forgiven of his/her sins.

Cornelius

Acts 10:1-6, 34-36
New International Version (NIV)

1 At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment.
2 He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly.
3  One day at about three in the afternoon he had a vision. He distinctly saw an angel of God, who came to him and said, “Cornelius!”
4 Cornelius stared at him in fear. “What is it, Lord?” he asked.  The angel answered, “Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God.
5 Now send men to Joppa to bring back a man named Simon who is called Peter.
6 He is staying with Simon the tanner, whose house is by the sea.”

34 Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism
35 but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right.
36 You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, announcing the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all.

The Ethiopian

Acts 8:26-31, 34-35

26 Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, “Go south to the road—the desert road—that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.”
27 So he started out, and on his way he met an Ethiopian eunuch, an important official in charge of all the treasury of the Kandake (which means “queen of the Ethiopians”). This man had gone to Jerusalem to worship,
28 and on his way home was sitting in his chariot reading the Book of Isaiah the prophet.
29 The Spirit told Philip, “Go to that chariot and stay near it.”
30 Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. “Do you understand what you are reading?” Philip asked.
31 “How can I,” he said, “unless someone explains it to me?” So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.

34 The eunuch asked Philip, “Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?”
35 Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2011, 07:58:53 AM »

Agreed.
I hate the State.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2011, 08:09:36 AM »

No.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2011, 08:24:35 AM »
No.

I know right? God forbid they should admit they have doubts about it..

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2011, 08:50:46 AM »

I know right? God forbid they should admit they have doubts about it..

Doubts?  Sometimes, yes.  Doing all they can to spread the good news of Jesus Christ to somehow validate their faith?  No.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2011, 12:40:08 PM »
Doubts?  Sometimes, yes.  Doing all they can to spread the good news of Jesus Christ to somehow validate their faith?  No.

Ok, I'm clear thanks

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2011, 01:18:52 PM »

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2011, 09:42:06 AM »
Sihk warriors are cool!   :)

One-hundred-year-old Singh crosses the finish line in a 100 meter race for centenarians in Toronto, Thursday Oct. 13, 2011

Centenarian Fauja Singh, originally from India now living in London, England, is competing in Toronto's Waterfront Marathon on Sunday.

http://news.yahoo.com/100-old-marathoner-finishes-race-235239203.html

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2011, 12:24:07 PM »
Seeing as how the message of Christianity is to accept Christ as Savior and help others, no, I don't see it as terrorism

Of course you are horrified about what happened to your mother, as you should be, but I see nothing in the NT that advocates ignoring/rejecting needed medical attention. 

Like you said, this guy was or became warped, but if you read the NT I believe you would see it advocates good and helpfulness.  But you think that since it exists and so it's possible that people can twist it to become dangerous that it should be wiped out.  I can't agree because it is something entirely different at that point.  Just like these Westboro people.   

Isn't the "choice" basically to accept JC as your saviour or face eternity in hell ?