Author Topic: Supporters of 'Personhood Amendment' Make Case to Mississippi Voters  (Read 95529 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: Supporters of 'Personhood Amendment' Make Case to Mississippi Voters
« Reply #225 on: March 26, 2015, 01:25:31 PM »
I support parental notification of minors getting abortions, because parents should know anytime their kids are having medical procedures done, especially if the kid is below the age of consent. 

Why do you ask? 
Would you go any further than that or is that it?  I ask because I am curious of the "logic" (lack thereof) of why someone would want to support or promote an anti-abortion agenda.  I never really get any decent answers from any pro-life people ever or they usually just don't answer or dodge all of the questions.  I guess doing so makes it easier for them to rationalize their position.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #226 on: March 26, 2015, 01:31:33 PM »
Would you go any further than that or is that it?  I ask because I am curious of the "logic" (lack thereof) of why someone would want to support or promote an anti-abortion agenda.  I never really get any decent answers from any pro-life people ever or they usually just don't answer or dodge all of the questions.  I guess doing so makes it easier for them to rationalize their position.

I don't know.  Would depend on the legislation.  As I've said numerous times, I'm torn on this issue.  I don't really have a political position.  I don't really believe there is a political solution. 

What I have focused regarding my own personal views is how both sides are a bit disingenuous.  Pro abortion people try and dehumanize the baby.  Pro life people ignore the woman's bodily integrity issue.  I've framed it as:  the woman's right to choose whether or not to kill her baby.  That's what it comes down to in my book.  What should happen legally?  I really don't know.  At the core, it's really a decision between a woman and her God.  Although it's much more complicated than that. 

But it is an interesting subject.   

That said, I am a big critic of Planned Parenthood.  They are an immoral abortion mill IMO.  "Immoral" because they encourage rape victims to have abortions without telling their parents or law enforcement.  Anything to make money off abortion.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #227 on: March 27, 2015, 09:19:02 PM »
I support parental notification of minors getting abortions, because parents should know anytime their kids are having medical procedures done, especially if the kid is below the age of consent. 

Why do you ask? 

so as long as parent and minor agree then you're all for them exercising their legal and god given choice to have an abortion

right?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #228 on: April 03, 2015, 10:35:01 AM »
Arizona first in nation to require patients be informed of abortion-reversal option
By Aalia Shaheed
Published April 02, 2015
FoxNews.com

Feb. 24, 2015: Arizona Republican Gov. Doug Ducey signs the American Civics Act into law during a bill signing ceremony at the Capitol in Phoenix. (AP)
Arizona will become the first state in the nation to require doctors to tell patients that abortions may be reversible, under a controversial bill that deals with an equally controversial method.

Republican Gov. Doug Ducey signed the bill earlier this week.

The highly debated abortion-reversal procedure is done to try and reverse the effects of the so-called abortion pill. It involves a woman being injected with progesterone to counteract the effects of mifepristone – a.k.a., the abortion pill.

Doctors say a patient must undergo the hormone treatment within 72 hours of taking the pill if she decides to keep her baby.

“Women who have initiated a medical abortion process and who change their minds for whatever reason should not have their babies stolen from them because Planned Parenthood or any abortionist withheld life-saving facts or withheld information,” anti-abortion advocate Dr. Allan Sawyer said in testimony before the legislature.

The relatively new procedure was pioneered by Dr. George Delgado, the medical director of California-based non-profit Culture of Life Family Services. He co-authored the first-ever medical literature detailing how progesterone could reverse an abortion in 2007.

That same year, his organization completed its first successful reversal.

“I received a call about a woman who had taken mifepristone, RUU 486, and changed her mind. She wanted help and I offered it,” he told Fox News. “Then I received calls from across the country of doctors and others seeking advice. In 2012, we established Abortion Pill Reversal and its attendant website and hotline.”

News eventually spread to Arizona Republican state Sen. Nancy Barto, who included the provision about disclosing information on abortion reversals as part of broader insurance legislation to prevent women who receive federal subsidies under Affordable Care Act exchanges from being able to buy optional abortion coverage with their plans.

Ducey signed the legislation Monday evening, but stayed mum on the abortion reversal provision, which would require doctors to inform patients about the option when they seek access to the abortion pill.

"The American people overwhelmingly oppose taxpayer funding of abortions, and it's no different in Arizona, where we have long-standing policy against subsidizing them with public dollars," Ducey said in a statement. "This legislation provides clarity to state law."

Critics of the bill have been vocal in their disappointment.

"Instead of delivering on his campaign promises to reduce the negative stigma our state has taken on because of extreme and out-of-touch politics, Gov. Ducey has put Arizona once again in the national spotlight for interfering in the medical decisions of women," Planned Parenthood of Arizona President Bryan Howard said in a statement.

Opponents also say there isn’t enough documented evidence on abortion reversals.

“We like to practice medicine that is evidenced based, and unfortunately the protocol that has been suggested for reversing a medication abortion has no evidence to support it,” Dr. Ilana Addis said in testimony against the bill.

But Delgado says his organization has a success rate of 60 percent, with 87 births since 2007 and 75 women currently still pregnant after successful reversals.

“There have been negative reactions from those who seem to have an agenda and can’t seem to imagine that a woman might change her mind after taking mifepristone … [but] many are relieved to know they have a second chance,” Delgado said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/04/02/arizona-first-in-nation-to-require-patients-be-informed-abortion-reversal/?intcmp=latestnews

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #229 on: April 08, 2015, 10:36:11 AM »
Kansas first state to ban second-trimester abortion procedure critics call 'dismemberment'
Published April 08, 2015
FoxNews.com

Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback has signed a bill making his state the first in the nation to ban a controversial second-trimester abortion procedure that critics describe as dismembering a fetus.

The new law, which takes effect July 1, was drafted by the National Right to Life Committee. The group hailed the signing of the bill Tuesday and is aiming to pass such a law in several other states next.

"The Unborn Child Protection from Dismemberment Abortion Act is the first of what we hope will be many state laws banning dismemberment abortions," group president Carol Tobias said in a statement. "This law has the power to transform the landscape of abortion policy in the United States."

Already, similar measures have been introduced in Missouri, Oklahoma and South Carolina.

The Kansas law would ban what's known as a dilation and evacuation procedure and redefine it as "dismemberment." Doctors now no longer can use forceps, clamps, scissors or similar instruments on a fetus to remove it from the womb in pieces.

Two abortion rights groups that operate Kansas clinics with abortion services, Trust Women and Planned Parenthood of Kansas and Mid-Missouri, said they're considering challenging the new law in court.

"We will become a bellwether for future introductions of this bill in the states," said Laura McQuade, president and CEO of the Planned Parenthood chapter.

Abortion rights supporters say the law could be vulnerable to a lawsuit because it bans some abortions before a fetus can survive outside the womb and contains no mental health exception for the mother. Under the new law, the procedure is banned except when necessary to save a woman's life or prevent irreversible damage to her physical health.

A Delaware-based law professor said U.S. Supreme Court precedents over the past 15 years suggest the Kansas law wouldn't survive a challenge but added that the justices may revise past stances.

Anti-abortion groups are confident the new law will withstand a legal challenge, based on a U.S. Supreme Court ruling in 2007 in which it upheld a federal ban on a late-term procedure described by abortion opponents as "partial-birth abortion."

But in that ruling, the court's 5-4 majority rejected an argument that the federal law would have banned the more common dilation and evacuation procedure described by the Kansas law, according to Widener University law professor John Culhane.

"If it was so obvious that it wouldn't run afoul of the court, you would have seen a law like this sooner," he said.

Brownback, a Republican and strong abortion opponent, signed the bill in a private ceremony at his official residence; his office said he would re-enact it at multiple public events later this month. A photo from Tuesday's ceremony tweeted by the governor's office showed Brownback flanked by anti-abortion leaders and two large photos of fetuses.

Abortion rights supporters said the procedure is often the safest for women seeking to terminate pregnancies during the second trimester. It accounted for about 9 percent of abortions last year in Kansas, where most pregnancies are terminated in the first trimester and the state already bans most abortions at or after the 22nd week.

Brownback spokeswoman Eileen Hawley called it "a horrific procedure." But Julie Burkhart, founder and CEO of Trust Women, said in a statement that the new law is "dangerous" and "dictates to qualified physicians how they can practice medicine and treat their patients."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/04/08/kansas-is-first-state-to-ban-second-term-abortions-redefine-procedure-as-fetus/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #230 on: April 22, 2015, 10:57:10 AM »
New abortion controversy hits Congress
By Deirdre Walsh, Senior Congressional Producer
Wed April 22, 2015

Washington (CNN)The same day that the Senate reached a deal on abortion language in a bill to combat human trafficking, the House of Representatives began considering legislation that is igniting a new controversy over the divisive social issue.

The House Oversight Committee approved a resolution on Tuesday night with a party line vote that would attempt to overturn a law passed by the District of Columbia Council in December that bans employers from taking punitive action against any employees for using abortion services or birth control. The bill could be scheduled for a full House vote as early as next week.

The new House resolution, sponsored by Tennessee Rep. Diane Black, says the D.C. law, the "Reproductive Health Non-Discrimination Amendment Act," accomplishes the opposite of what its name implies.

"This coercive measure would ban pro-life organizations in D.C. from even considering a job seeker's views on abortion as a condition of employment," Black said in a statement. "This is an affront to the conscience rights of every American who believes, as I do, in the cause of protecting the unborn. Congress must not remain silent while this injustice unfolds."

The Heritage Foundation and other conservative groups have pressed the GOP-led Congress to block the D.C. law. In an analysis published by two Heritage policy analysts, the group asserts that anti-abortion rights groups based in Washington would be faced with decisions about hiring candidates that could conflict with their beliefs.

"Organizations whose mission is to empower women facing unplanned pregnancies with physical and emotional support or who advocate for policies that affirm the dignity and value of both mother and child could be forced to provide health insurance for the life-ending procedure they oppose," the report states.

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi called this latest GOP abortion bill "outrageous."

"Allowing employers to fire employees for using birth control, or in vitro fertilization, or any other reproductive health care service is an unconscionable intrusion into workers' personal lives," said Pelosi in a written statement on Monday. "By disapproving D.C.'s law, House Republicans would even allow employers to fire employees for the reproductive health decisions that their employees' spouses and dependents make."

Debate on the measure in the oversight panel became both heated and personal on Tuesday.

"This is a continued attack on religion and a person's 1st Amendment rights of freedom of belief," Rep. Tim Walberg, R-Michigan, said the committee's markup on the bill.

But Democrats on the panel argued the GOP was once again raising a controversial issue and imposing its views on the District of Columbia.

"It is absurd and arrogant and ignorant that in 2015 we would be having these discussions," Democratic Rep. Watson Coleman of New Jersey said Tuesday. She added she would come back for the vote but refused to listen to the debate on the issue.

Congress has the authority under the Constitution to nullify a law passed by the District of Columbia government. To roll back the bill, both the House and Senate need to pass a resolution of disapproval 30 days after the measure was transmitted to Capitol Hill. The resolution would need to be signed into law by the President.

But the chances that this move by the House will actually overturn the law are low. Time is running out, since the legislation was sent up to the Hill on March 6, and even if the measure is approved by the full House and Senate, the President Barack Obama is expected to veto it.

Earlier this year many of the anti-abortion rights groups were disappointed when House Republican leaders pulled a bill from the bill that would have banned so-called "late-term" abortions for women who are beyond 20 weeks into their pregnancy. The decision to move this legislation could help quell the criticism from those groups as GOP leaders are still negotiating changes to that bill to address internal divisions.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/21/politics/congress-abortion-dc/index.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #231 on: April 23, 2015, 11:06:53 AM »
ACLU sues feds in bid to make Catholic groups provide abortion to illegal immigrants
By Aalia Shaheed
Published April 23, 2015
FoxNews.com

Providing food and shelter to illegal immigrants isn't enough for federally-funded Catholic organizations, according to the American Civil Liberties Union, which is suing the federal government to help ensure the religious organizations provide abortion and contraception to them as well. 

The suit aims to obtain government records related to reproductive healthcare policy for unaccompanied immigrant children in the care of federally funded Catholic agencies, which do not believe in abortion.

“We have heard reports that Catholic bishops are prohibiting Catholic charities from allowing teens in their care to access critical services like contraception and abortion- even if the teenager has been raped on her journey to the United States or in a detention facility,” said ACLU staff attorney Brigitte Amiri.

“Let’s be clear about the ACLU’s purpose here: ending the productive and successful partnership between the Catholic Church and the federal government on the care and shelter of vulnerable populations."

- Kevin Appleby, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
Almost 60,000 unaccompanied minors illegally crossed over from Mexico border last year. Nearly a third were young girls, and Amiri claims up to 80 percent were victims of sexual assault.

The government contracts with the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) to care for those children until they can either reunite with a relative or face an immigration hearing. The organization has received $73 million overall from the government- with $10 million coming in to care for unaccompanied minors in 2013 alone.

A letter from the USCCB shows the organization strongly objecting to a regulation proposed by the Obama administration requiring contractors provide abortions to immigrants who have been raped.

“The Catholic Bishops are taking millions of dollars in federal grants- and then imposing their beliefs on this vulnerable population who they are supposed to serve… and that raises serious concerns under the separation of church and state provision in our Constitution,” said Amiri.

But the bishops are hitting back at the ACLU- maintaining they are well within their rights to exercise religious freedom while taking care of the minors.

“For decades, we have provided exemplary services to this vulnerable population without facilitating abortions, and despite ACLU’s extreme assertions to the contrary, the law not only permits our doing so, but protects it,” said Kevin Appleby, Director of the USCCB's Office of Migration Policy and Public Affairs.

Appleby says instances in which a client under his organization’s care asks for a service contrary to the beliefs of the Church are rare. He insists the USCCB informs the government of a girl’s desire to access reproductive healthcare if the government has legal custody of that child.

“Let’s be clear about the ACLU’s purpose here: ending the productive and successful partnership between the Catholic Church and the federal government on the care and shelter of vulnerable populations. Denying us the freedom to serve betrays the very children the ACLU is purportedly attempting to help,” he told Fox News.

The ACLU is only suing for federal documents on the USCCB’s policies at the moment, but will consider further legal actions depending on what those documents indicate. The government has not yet officially responded to the ACLU’s request.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/23/aclu-sues-feds-in-bid-to-make-catholic-groups-provide-abortion-to-illegal/

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #232 on: April 23, 2015, 01:50:05 PM »
so as long as parent and minor agree then you're all for them exercising their legal and god given choice to have an abortion

right?

god given right to abortion?  jesus.  look it's a convenient way to make your life easier because you like to fuck without a condom and you don't want to pull out.  But don't call it a god given right.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #233 on: May 13, 2015, 06:34:03 PM »
U.S. House Passes Abortion Ban That Could Challenge Roe V. Wade [UPDATE]
Laura Bassett Become a fan
lbassett@huffingtonpost.com
Posted: 05/13/2015

Kate Williams was 21 weeks pregnant in 2011 when she had an ultrasound anatomy scan to check on the progress of her baby. The news was not good: Her unborn son had Potter syndrome, a fatal condition in which the kidneys fail to develop in the womb.

The doctor told Williams, then 31, that her baby had no kidneys and no bladder and would not develop lungs, and there was very little amniotic fluid left to support his life. She was told she could either choose to induce labor right then and go through a full delivery, only to have the baby die in the process, or she could undergo anesthesia and have an abortion procedure.

"I was absolutely devastated to get that news," Williams told The Huffington Post in an interview. "I called my regular OB-GYN to discuss with her if there was any chance this might not be true. But she looked at the ultrasounds and told me, 'No, this is the situation.'"

Williams, a retail store manager with a 9-month-old son at the time, decided to have the abortion procedure to avoid having to go through the labor and delivery. Because she lives in Philadelphia, where there are abortion providers who are trained to perform the second-trimester procedure, and because the abortion was covered by her insurance, she could afford to make that choice. "If I wasn't in Philadelphia, who knows where I would have had to go," she said.

The U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill on Wednesday that bans the procedure Williams chose to have. The so-called Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act aims to prohibit doctors from performing abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy, except in cases of rape, incest or when the mother's life is in danger. There is no exception for severe fetal anomalies, and the bill requires a neonatal doctor to try to save the fetus if there is any chance it could survive outside the womb.

Republicans claim the 20-week limit is based on the disputed theory that fetuses can feel pain at that point in their development.

"This is a vote all of us will remember forever, and it will be considered in the annals of history, and I believe the counsels of eternity itself," said Rep. Trent Franks (R-Ariz.), the author of the bill, on the House floor Wednesday. "But it shouldn’t be such a hard vote. Protecting little pain-capable unborn children and their mothers is not a Republican issue, or a Democrat issue. It is a test of our basic humanity and who we are as a human family."

The bill passed in the House Wednesday afternoon by a vote of 242 to 184.

House Republicans tried to pass the bill earlier this year, but they had to cancel the vote unexpectedly after a group of GOP women voiced their concerns that the rape exception was too narrow. The original bill required a woman to have reported her rape to the police in order to qualify for the exemption, but lawmakers have since tweaked it to say that a woman who has been raped must seek counseling or medical care at some point in the 48 hours before the abortion.

Anti-abortion activists hope the 20-week abortion ban will be their opening to challenge and ultimately overturn Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court's landmark abortion rights decision. The high court ruled in 1973 that laws cannot interfere with a woman's right to have an abortion before the fetus would be viable outside the womb, around the 22- to 24-week mark. This legislation would establish a limit at a point several weeks earlier than that. "Our belief is that this bill, in particular, would be upheld by the court," said Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of the anti-abortion group Susan B. Anthony List.

Abortions after 20 weeks are extremely rare, accounting for only about 1 percent of all abortions. Opponents of the legislation worry that it will hurt women like Williams who discover severe medical problems late into their pregnancies.

"This bill would deny abortion care to a woman even if her health care provider determined that abortion care was her best medical option," said Vicki Saporta, president of the National Abortion Federation. "It would also force a woman to wait until severe medical conditions became life-threatening before she could obtain the abortion care she needed."

The bill has little chance of becoming law this year. If Senate Democrats fail to block it, President Barack Obama will likely veto it. But the legislation is gaining momentum: Every single 2016 GOP presidential candidate has endorsed it, and 10 Republican-controlled state legislatures have already passed it into law. With a different administration after 2016, the abortion limit could easily become the law of the land.

Williams, who now has two healthy children, said she will be watching the legislation closely as it moves through Congress. "It doesn't make sense to me," she said. "Women in my situation or in any situation should not be forced to carry a pregnancy to term."

UPDATE: 5:50 p.m. -- Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, the Democratic front-runner for president, issued the following statement Wednesday evening, following the bill's passage:

This bill is a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade, which has protected a woman's constitutional right to privacy for over forty years. The bill puts women's health and rights at risk, undermines the role doctors play in health care decisions, burdens survivors of sexual assault, and is not based on sound science. It also follows a dangerous trend we are witnessing across the country. In just the first three months of 2015, more than 300 bills have been introduced in state legislatures -- on top of the nearly 30 measures introduced in Congress -- that restrict access to abortion. Politicians should not interfere with personal medical decisions, which should be left to a woman, her family and her faith, in consultation with her doctor or health care provider.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/13/20-week-abortion-ban_n_7274874.html

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #234 on: May 13, 2015, 06:44:28 PM »
U.S. House Passes Abortion Ban That Could Challenge Roe V. Wade [UPDATE]
Laura Bassett Become a fan
lbassett@huffingtonpost.com
Posted: 05/13/2015

Kate Williams was 21 weeks pregnant in 2011 when she had an ultrasound anatomy scan to check on the progress of her baby. The news was not good: Her unborn son had Potter syndrome, a fatal condition in which the kidneys fail to develop in the womb.

The doctor told Williams, then 31, that her baby had no kidneys and no bladder and would not develop lungs, and there was very little amniotic fluid left to support his life. She was told she could either choose to induce labor right then and go through a full delivery, only to have the baby die in the process, or she could undergo anesthesia and have an abortion procedure.

"I was absolutely devastated to get that news," Williams told The Huffington Post in an interview. "I called my regular OB-GYN to discuss with her if there was any chance this might not be true. But she looked at the ultrasounds and told me, 'No, this is the situation.'"

Williams, a retail store manager with a 9-month-old son at the time, decided to have the abortion procedure to avoid having to go through the labor and delivery. Because she lives in Philadelphia, where there are abortion providers who are trained to perform the second-trimester procedure, and because the abortion was covered by her insurance, she could afford to make that choice. "If I wasn't in Philadelphia, who knows where I would have had to go," she said.

The U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill on Wednesday that bans the procedure Williams chose to have. The so-called Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act aims to prohibit doctors from performing abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy, except in cases of rape, incest or when the mother's life is in danger. There is no exception for severe fetal anomalies, and the bill requires a neonatal doctor to try to save the fetus if there is any chance it could survive outside the womb.

Republicans claim the 20-week limit is based on the disputed theory that fetuses can feel pain at that point in their development.

"This is a vote all of us will remember forever, and it will be considered in the annals of history, and I believe the counsels of eternity itself," said Rep. Trent Franks (R-Ariz.), the author of the bill, on the House floor Wednesday. "But it shouldn’t be such a hard vote. Protecting little pain-capable unborn children and their mothers is not a Republican issue, or a Democrat issue. It is a test of our basic humanity and who we are as a human family."

The bill passed in the House Wednesday afternoon by a vote of 242 to 184.

House Republicans tried to pass the bill earlier this year, but they had to cancel the vote unexpectedly after a group of GOP women voiced their concerns that the rape exception was too narrow. The original bill required a woman to have reported her rape to the police in order to qualify for the exemption, but lawmakers have since tweaked it to say that a woman who has been raped must seek counseling or medical care at some point in the 48 hours before the abortion.

Anti-abortion activists hope the 20-week abortion ban will be their opening to challenge and ultimately overturn Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court's landmark abortion rights decision. The high court ruled in 1973 that laws cannot interfere with a woman's right to have an abortion before the fetus would be viable outside the womb, around the 22- to 24-week mark. This legislation would establish a limit at a point several weeks earlier than that. "Our belief is that this bill, in particular, would be upheld by the court," said Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of the anti-abortion group Susan B. Anthony List.

Abortions after 20 weeks are extremely rare, accounting for only about 1 percent of all abortions. Opponents of the legislation worry that it will hurt women like Williams who discover severe medical problems late into their pregnancies.

"This bill would deny abortion care to a woman even if her health care provider determined that abortion care was her best medical option," said Vicki Saporta, president of the National Abortion Federation. "It would also force a woman to wait until severe medical conditions became life-threatening before she could obtain the abortion care she needed."

The bill has little chance of becoming law this year. If Senate Democrats fail to block it, President Barack Obama will likely veto it. But the legislation is gaining momentum: Every single 2016 GOP presidential candidate has endorsed it, and 10 Republican-controlled state legislatures have already passed it into law. With a different administration after 2016, the abortion limit could easily become the law of the land.

Williams, who now has two healthy children, said she will be watching the legislation closely as it moves through Congress. "It doesn't make sense to me," she said. "Women in my situation or in any situation should not be forced to carry a pregnancy to term."

UPDATE: 5:50 p.m. -- Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, the Democratic front-runner for president, issued the following statement Wednesday evening, following the bill's passage:

This bill is a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade, which has protected a woman's constitutional right to privacy for over forty years. The bill puts women's health and rights at risk, undermines the role doctors play in health care decisions, burdens survivors of sexual assault, and is not based on sound science. It also follows a dangerous trend we are witnessing across the country. In just the first three months of 2015, more than 300 bills have been introduced in state legislatures -- on top of the nearly 30 measures introduced in Congress -- that restrict access to abortion. Politicians should not interfere with personal medical decisions, which should be left to a woman, her family and her faith, in consultation with her doctor or health care provider.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/13/20-week-abortion-ban_n_7274874.html

Great Job

So brain dead fundie assholes would prefer to force this unfortunate woman (who was already devastated by the news of her unborn childs fatal condition) to go through the trauma of inducing labor so that she can give birth to a baby that would die in the process

Praise Jeebus

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #235 on: May 19, 2015, 02:20:26 PM »
Tennessee Just Passed A Law Forcing Women To Wait 48 Hours For An Abortion
The Huffington Post    |  By   Alissa Scheller
Posted: 05/19/2015

Starting July 1, women seeking an abortion in Tennessee will have to wait 48 hours before they’re allowed to have the procedure.

Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam signed a bill on Monday requiring the two-day wait, which makes Tennessee the 27th state to impose a delay for women who want to end a pregnancy. Earlier this month, Oklahoma’s governor signed a law increasing that state's mandatory waiting period from 24 hours to 72.

Legislators who introduce bills requiring waiting periods typically claim that they afford women time to consider her decision and the information provided in pre-procedure counseling. However, research has shown that 87 percent of women seeking an abortion were highly confident in their decision prior to counseling, leading researchers to conclude that women don't benefit from these delays. All they serve to do, opponents say, is to make obtaining an abortion more difficult for low-income women or women who live far from an abortion clinic, and second-guess a woman’s right to make her own decisions about her body.

Many states that require waiting periods also require women to hear false information about fetal pain (research hasn’t proven fetuses feel pain prior to the first trimester), personhood (when personhood begins is a highly personal belief, not fact), and breast cancer (there is no proven link to abortion) before they have an abortion.

State legislatures in North Carolina and Florida recently approved bills requiring or increasing waiting periods as well. Laws in those states are still awaiting governor approval. According to the Guttmacher Institute, a pro-abortion rights research organization, legislation restricting abortion has surged in recent years. The organization says that by the end of 2014, more than half of American women of reproductive age lived in states that were hostile to abortion access.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/19/abortion-waiting-periods_n_7315042.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #236 on: June 11, 2015, 09:10:23 AM »
Court Upholds Texas Limits on Abortions
By MANNY FERNANDEZ and ERIK ECKHOLM
JUNE 9, 2015

A room at the Whole Woman’s Health clinic in McAllen, the sole abortion provider in its area. Credit Jennifer Whitney for The New York Times
Advertisement

WACO, Tex. — A federal appellate court upheld some of the toughest provisions of a Texas abortion law on Tuesday, putting about half of the state’s remaining abortion clinics at risk of permanently shutting their doors and leaving the nation’s second-most populous state with fewer than a dozen clinics across its more than 267,000 square miles. There were 41 when the law was passed.

Abortion providers and women’s rights groups vowed a quick appeal to the United States Supreme Court, setting the stage for what could be the most far-reaching ruling in years on when legislative restrictions pose an “undue burden” on the constitutional right to an abortion.

A three-judge panel of the appellate court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, in New Orleans, sided for the most part with Texas and the abortion law the Republican-dominated Legislature passed in 2013, known as House Bill 2.

The judges ruled that Texas can require all abortion clinics in the state to meet the same building, equipment and staffing standards that hospital-style surgical centers must meet, which could force numerous clinics to close, abortion rights advocates said.

If the law requiring abortion facilities to be licensed as ambulatory surgery centers takes effect, Texas would be left with fewer than 10 clinics.

In addition to the surgical standards, the court upheld a requirement that doctors performing abortions obtain admitting privileges at a hospital within 30 miles of a clinic. The court said that except as applied to one doctor working in McAllen in South Texas, the provision did not put an unconstitutional burden on women seeking abortions.

Texas lawmakers argued that the provisions were intended to improve safety. But major medical associations say these measures do not improve patient safety, and abortion rights advocates say they are really intended to restrict access to abortion.

Under the 1973 Roe v Wade decision and later cases, the Supreme Court has permitted a wide array of abortion regulations, including waiting periods and parental consent for minors, but said states may not impose an “undue burden” on the right to an abortion before a fetus is viable outside the womb.

Throughout the ruling, the Fifth Circuit judges cited the explanations given by the Texas Legislature for what is considered one of the most restrictive abortions laws in the country.

“Texas’ stated purpose for enacting H.B. 2 was to provide the highest quality of care to women seeking abortions and to protect the health and welfare of women seeking abortions,” the Fifth Circuit ruling read. “There is no question that this is a legitimate purpose that supports regulating physicians and the facilities in which they perform abortions.”

But clinic owners, women’s health groups and the American Civil Liberties Union said that if the Fifth Circuit’s decision were to take effect, the results would be “devastating” for women seeking abortions in Texas.

“Not since before Roe v. Wade has a law or court decision had the potential to devastate access to reproductive health care on such a sweeping scale,” said Nancy Northup, the president and chief executive of the Center for Reproductive Rights, whose lawyers were part of the legal team representing the clinics that sued the state. “Once again, women across the state of Texas face the near total elimination of safe and legal options for ending a pregnancy, and the denial of their constitutional rights.”

The decision by the Fifth Circuit, regarded as one of the most conservative federal appellate courts in the country, is expected to take effect in about 22 days. In the meantime, however, the clinics and their lawyers plan to ask the court to stay the decision while they appeal it. If the Fifth Circuit declines, the clinic lawyers said, they will seek an emergency stay from the Supreme Court that would prevent the ruling from taking effect while the Supreme Court considered whether to hear the case.

There are 18 facilities providing abortions in Texas, and if and when the Fifth Circuit’s decision goes into effect, eight clinics will close and 10 facilities are expected to remain open, largely because they are ambulatory surgery centers or have relationships with such centers, according to Dr. Daniel Grossman, an investigator with the Texas Policy Evaluation Project and one of the experts who testified for the clinics in the case. But the fate of at least one of the facilities expected to stay open, a clinic in McAllen in the Rio Grande Valley, remained uncertain.

Lawyers for the Texas clinics that sued the state said about 900,000 reproductive-age women will live more than 150 miles from the nearest open facility in the state when the surgical-center requirement and admitting-privileges rule take effect.

The Fifth Circuit panel found that the percentage of affected women who would face travel distances of 150 miles or more amounted to 17 percent, a figure that it said was not a “large fraction.” An abortion regulation cannot be invalidated unless it imposes an undue burden on what the Supreme Court has termed “a large fraction of relevant cases.”

Previously, a panel of the same federal appeals court ruled that Mississippi could not force its only remaining abortion clinic to close by arguing that women could always travel to neighboring states for the procedure. But the panel in the Texas case on Tuesday held that the closing of a clinic in El Paso — which left the nearest in-state clinic some 550 miles to the east — was permissible because many women had already been traveling to New Mexico for abortions, and because the rule did not close all the abortion clinics in Texas.

In the case of the McAllen clinic, the sole abortion provider in the Rio Grande Valley, Tuesday’s decision held that the distance of 235 miles or more to the nearest clinic did pose an undue burden. For now, at least, the Fifth Circuit panel exempted that clinic from aspects of the surgical-center and admitting-privileges requirements. But Amy Hagstrom Miller, the chief executive of Whole Woman’s Health, which runs the McAllen facility and was one of the abortion providers that sued the state, said the organization was evaluating whether the ruling would permit the clinic to continue operating.

The Texas attorney general, Ken Paxton, called the Fifth Circuit’s decision upholding the law a “victory for life and women’s health.”

“H.B. 2 both protects the unborn and ensures Texas women are not subjected to unsafe and unhealthy conditions,” Mr. Paxton said in a statement. “Today’s decision by the Fifth Circuit validates that the people of Texas have authority to establish safe, common-sense standards of care necessary to ensure the health of women.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/10/us/court-upholds-texas-law-criticized-as-blocking-access-to-abortions.html?_r=1

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #237 on: June 29, 2015, 03:25:11 PM »
Supreme Court blocks Texas abortion-clinic rules
Published June 29, 2015
Associated Press

The Supreme Court acted Monday to keep Texas' 19 abortion clinics open, amid a legal fight that threatens to close more than half of them.

The justices voted 5-4 to grant an emergency appeal from the clinics after a federal appeals court upheld new clinic regulations and refused to keep them on hold while the clinics appealed to the Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court order will remain in effect at least until the court decides whether to hear the clinics' appeal of the lower court ruling, not before the fall.

The court's decision to block the regulations is a strong indication that the justices will hear the full appeal, which could be the biggest abortion case at the Supreme Court in nearly 25 years.

If the court steps in, the hearing and the eventual ruling would come amid the 2016 presidential campaign.

Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Samuel Alito, Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas would have allowed the state to move ahead with regulations requiring abortion facilities to be constructed like surgical centers. Doctors at all clinics also would be required to have admitting privileges at a local hospital.

The clinics said enforcing the new regulations would lead to a second major wave of clinic closures statewide since the law was enacted in 2013. Texas had 41 abortion clinics in 2012; 19 remain.

The admitting privileges requirement already is in effect in much of the state. Stephanie Toti, a lawyer for the Center for Reproductive Rights who is representing the clinics, said some clinics that closed because doctors lacked admitting privileges might be able to reopen.

While the clinic operators said they were relieved by the court's action, supporters of the state law criticized the order. "Women and babies are being denied protections with the Supreme Court blocking pro-life legislation," said Lila Rose, president of Live Action, an anti-abortion advocacy group.

The regulations would have left the state with no clinic west of San Antonio. Only one would have been able to operate on a limited basis in the Rio Grande Valley.

The Supreme Court also is weighing an appeal from Mississippi, which is seeking to enforce an admitting privileges requirement that would close the last abortion clinic in the state. A different three-judge panel of the same federal appeals court, the New Orleans-based 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, has blocked the Mississippi law.

In November 2013, Justice Stephen Breyer wrote that four justices probably would want to review the constitutionality of the Texas regulations. Last year, the high court prevented enforcement while the case was on appeal to the 5th Circuit.

Backers of the regulations say they are common-sense measures intended to protect women. Abortion rights groups say the regulations have only one aim: to make it harder, if not impossible, for women to get abortions in Texas.

The case could be attractive to the justices because it might allow them to give more definition to the key phrase from their last big abortion ruling, Planned Parenthood v. Casey, in 1992. States generally can regulate abortion unless doing so places "an undue burden" on a woman's right to get an abortion.

Monday was the 23rd anniversary of the Casey ruling.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/06/29/supreme-court-blocks-texas-abortion-clinic-rules/

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2015, 06:42:22 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good News for Texas

Weird how the Republican argument against ANY kind of gun legislation is that it won't stop all gun violoence so what's the point

They seem to have forgotten about that arguement when it comes to abortion laws

I guess making it harder to get an abortion is worth the effort to save a few lives (from the point of view) but trying to make it harder to get a gun to save a few lives (fully formed human beings) is just not worth the effort

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #239 on: July 09, 2015, 09:34:32 AM »
Scott Walker set to revive abortion hard line on eve of presidential bid
Before his re-election last year, Governor Scott Walker struck a conciliatory tone on the issue. Now he’s behind a bill to ban terminations after 20 weeks

Governor Scott Walker addresses the Wisconsin legislature which is expected to present him with a bill to sign prohibiting abortions after 20 weeks, a bill reportedly instigated by Walker himself. Photograph: Andy Manis/AP
Lauren Gambino in New York
@LGamGam
Thursday 9 July 2015

In the final weeks of a tough, expensive re-election campaign for governor of Wisconsin, Scott Walker ran an advertisement that raised eyebrows on both sides of the culture war over abortion.

“Hi, I’m Scott Walker. I’m pro-life,” Walker says in the ad. “But there’s no doubt in my mind the decision of whether or not to end a pregnancy is an agonizing one. That’s why I support legislation to increase safety and to provide more information for a woman considering her options. The bill leaves the final decision to a woman and her doctor. Now, reasonable people can disagree on this issue. Our priority is to protect the health and safety of all Wisconsin citizens.”

The ad aired in October, when polls showed him unpopular with female voters, with his challenger, Democrat Mary Burke, leading among women. This softer tone from a politician with a long record of rolling back access to abortions angered social conservatives, who were upset that Walker appeared to have abandoned his staunchly pro-life views. The shift also outraged reproductive rights activists, who said the ad was misleading to obscure his extreme stances on women’s issues.

In the months since winning re-election, Walker, the son of a Baptist minister, has been under pressure to defend his record on opposing abortion and convince supporters that he is socially conservative enough to be the Republican nominee.

“My policies throughout my career have earned a 100% rating with pro-life groups in Wisconsin,” Walker wrote in an open letter in March. “Just in my first term I signed numerous pieces of pro-life legislation and I will continue working for every life.”

Since being elected governor in 2011, Walker has signed off on legislation requiring women seeking abortions to undergo ultrasounds, prohibiting the procedure from being covered by healthcare plans and defunding Planned Parenthood.

Now, days before he is expected to announce his candidacy for president, the Republican governor may get one more chance to reinforce his conservative credentials should a bill banning abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy land on his desk.

The Wisconsin bill, which is similar to legislation passed in 14 other states, is rooted in the belief that fetuses can feel pain at 20 weeks, a claim that has been disputed in medical research.

Walker’s office confirmed on Wednesday that he “plans to sign the bill” if it passes the legislature.

But in the runup to his re-election last year, Walker had refused to take a stand on the ban. Pressed in an interview with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel in mid-October, he demurred.

He said late-term abortions “raised some concerns” and repeated that he believes a fetus is “a human life”. He then offered a hypothetical: what if my wife had been in a terrible car accident while pregnant with one of our sons and lost the baby, he asked rhetorically. “You wouldn’t send just a get-well card you’d probably send a sympathy card to us because we lost that unborn child,” he said.

“To say one thing, when you’re seeking the vote, get elected, then operate in a way that’s completely antithetical to what you said when you were running, is incredibly frustrating,” said Dayna Long, president of the Madison chapter of the National Organization for Women.

“It’s a betrayal and frankly I think it makes him a really untrustworthy politician.”

Some critics say the ban was a calculated move by the governor to attract national conservatives.

Though he has repeatedly pledged his support for the bill, the governor has been more discreet about the genesis of the bill. The New York Times reported that Walker asked legislative leadership to deliver the bill to his desk during a meeting in his office earlier this year. A spokesman with the office of the state senate majority leader confirmed the report.

Wisconsin representative Chris Taylor, the former director of public policy for Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin, who opposes the ban, said she has no doubt the ban is at least in some way a part of a broader political calculation.

“He’ll say anything to get elected,” Taylor said. “And this is a guy who’s done a lot of devastating things for the women of the state.”

Taylor said she is prepared to argue against the bill, which she called “unconscionable”, on Thursday, when the Wisconsin assembly is expected to vote. The state senate approved the bill in June on a party-line vote, with Republicans in favor, after a nearly three-hour debate.

The bill would prohibit abortions 20 weeks after conception. The bill provides some exemptions for women in medical emergencies, but not in cases of rape or incest.

Doctors and medical professionals who perform abortions could face criminal charges, punishable by $10,000 in fines or three and a half years in prison. The legislation also allows the father to sue the doctor for damages.

Supporters of the legislation says it protects women’s health, because late-stage abortions can have more complications, as well as the fetus’s.

“It is undisputed that the risk to women from abortion increases with gestational age,” said Mailee Smith, a staff attorney for Americans United for Life.

“As such, bills limiting abortion at or after 20 weeks protect both women’s lives as well as protect unborn children from the pain inflicted in later-term abortions,” Smith added in a statement.

Abortions after 21 weeks of gestation are infrequent in the United States – nearly 99% of abortions in the US occur before 21 weeks, according to Planned Parenthood. The rate is similar in Wisconsin, where abortion clinics don’t perform the procedure at that point in a pregnancy. (They are performed in hospitals in cases involving medical problems.) In 2013, just over 1% – 89 out of 6,462 – abortions were performed after 20 weeks of gestation, according to state figures.

But opponents of the 20-week bans say that the women who have abortions at this stage in their pregnancy often do so out of medical urgency. Abortions later in the pregnancy, reproductive rights activists say, are more likely to involve severe fetal abnormalities and serious risks to women’s health.

Though the bill carves out exemptions for medical emergencies, women and their doctors have to meet a series of requirements that opponents say are too onerous before the procedure is allowed.

The Wisconsin bill is just the latest in a rash of bills seeking to ban abortion at or earlier than 20 weeks. Such bans challenge the fetal viability standard on abortions established by the 1973 US supreme court decision Roe v Wade, which legalized abortions. Fetal viability is generally believed to occur between 22 and 24 weeks.

Bans in Georgia, Idaho and Arizona have been struck down by courts. The ninth circuit court of appeals struck down the Arizona law in 2013, a decision the US supreme court declined to reconsider. In May, the same court found that Idaho’s law was unconstitutional.

Eleven other states have some version of the 20-week ban in place, according to the Guttmacher Institute, a reproductive rights research group. The US House also recently passed a bill banning abortion at 20 weeks, which includes an exemption for rape. Even if the bill were taken up and passed by the Senate, it would face a veto by President Barack Obama.

“Voters and the public are becoming more attuned to the fact that these are all part of a nationwide scheme to ban abortion altogether,”said Hayley Smith, an advocacy and policy associate at the American Civil Liberties Union.

“They might hear about a 20-week ban this year, and next year they might hear about a bill to close abortion clinics in their state,” she said. “And over time they realize it’s not just one piece of legislation. It’s a whole scheme of legislation designed to ban access altogether.”

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/09/scott-walker-abortion-20-week-ban-wisconsin

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #240 on: July 09, 2015, 10:18:09 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

great way to preach to the choir while turning off all independent and crossover voters on a national stage

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #241 on: July 20, 2015, 05:05:29 PM »
GOP presidential hopeful Scott Walker signs abortion ban bill
Published July 20, 2015
Associated Press

Republican presidential candidate Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker addresses a crowd at Giese Manufacturing, Sunday, July 19, 2015, in Dubuque, Iowa. (Mike Burley/Telegraph Herald via AP)

OSHKOSH, Wis. –  Republican Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, one week after launching his bid for the 2016 presidential nomination, signed a bill Monday that outlaws non-emergency abortions at or beyond 20 weeks of pregnancy.

Abortion is a core issue for the conservative Republican base whose support Walker will seek as he tries to stand out in a crowded presidential field that also includes former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and billionaire Donald Trump.

While Walker has a long history of opposing abortions, it's an issue where he could be targeted by rivals: Just nine months ago he ran a television ad during his gubernatorial re-election campaign where he said whether to obtain an abortion is an agonizing decision between a woman and her doctor.

Walker's record includes defunding Planned Parenthood, requiring abortion doctors to have admitting privileges at nearby hospitals, a law currently blocked by a federal court judge, and requiring women to have ultrasounds and be shown images of the fetus before having an abortion.

Walker last year, during his re-election campaign, refused to say last year whether he would support a 20-week abortion ban.

But in the face of questions from anti-abortion conservatives over his commitment to the issue in the light of the campaign ad,Walker in March came out in support of the 20-week abortion ban.

"The truth is that Scott Walker lied to Wisconsin voters when he was elected governor after saying that abortion is between a woman and her doctor," said Sasha Bruce with NARAL Pro-Choice America, a leading abortion rights advocacy group. "Now, in an effort to win the votes of the extreme base of the Republican Party, Walker has traded the health and well-being of women and families to score cheap political points."

The governor's signature makes Wisconsin the 15th state to pass similar bans. There is no exception for pregnancies resulting from rape or incest.

The new law — which cleared the Legislature without any Democratic support — is expected to be challenged in court. Walker, speaking with reporters after the bill signing, said he was confident it would survive any legal challenge, calling the five-month ban a "reasonable standard."

"For people, regardless of where they might stand, when an unborn child can feel pain I think most people feel it's appropriate to protect that child," Walker said.

But Kaylie Hanson, speaking for the Democratic National Committee, said the new law was nothing more than a "timely favor" for the Republican base days after Walker joined the presidential race.

"The harsh reality is that this law will hurt women, as it puts up barriers to care for rape and incest survivors - no exceptions - and threatens the health of the mother," Hanson said in a statement. "This law doesn't only undermine the most basic women's health services. It's radical, dangerous, and lacks respect for half the population of Wisconsin."

Bans on abortion after 20 weeks are popular, at least on the surface. A Quinnipiac University poll conducted in November of 2014 found that 6 in 10 Americans support banning abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy, except in cases of rape or incest.

On the other hand, a 2012 CNN/ORC poll found the vast majority of Americans — more than 8 in 10 — said abortion should be legal in cases of rape or incest.

An Associated Press-GfK poll conducted in January and February found that 51 percent of Americans think abortion should be legal in all or most cases, while 45 percent think it should be illegal in most or all cases.

Under the new Wisconsin law, doctors who perform an abortion at or after 20 weeks in non-emergency situations could be charged with a felony punishable by up to $10,000 in fines and 3½ years in prison. Doctors could also be sued for damages.

Doctors would be allowed to perform abortions beyond 20 weeks only if the mother is likely to die or suffer irreversible injuries within 24 hours.

The law's supporters say fetuses can feel pain after 20 weeks. They say the ban will spare those unborn children an excruciatingly painful death. The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, however, says fetuses can't feel pain until the third trimester starts at 27 weeks. Minority Democrats have complained that Republicans should leave women alone and let them decide how to handle their own bodies.

Abortions after 20 weeks are rare in Wisconsin. According to the most recent state Department of Health Services information, 89 of nearly 6,500 abortions performed in Wisconsin in 2013, or roughly 1 percent, occurred after the 20-week mark.

The U.S. Supreme Court's 1973 Roe v. Wade decision established a nationwide right to abortion but allowed states to restrict the procedures after the fetus reaches viability, the point where it could survive outside the womb. The ruling offered no legal definition of viability but said it could range from the 24th to 28th week of pregnancy.

Courts have blocked bans in Georgia, Idaho and Arizona. Litigation in other states is ongoing. A federal appellate court in May struck down Arkansas' ban on abortions after the 12th week of pregnancy if a doctor can detect a fetal heartbeat, finding that prohibition unconstitutionally burdens women.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/20/gop-presidential-hopeful-scott-walker-signs-abortion-ban-bill/?intcmp=latestnews

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #242 on: July 20, 2015, 05:57:00 PM »
It's weird the Repubs waste so much time on abortion legislation when they have no hope of stopping all abortions

Isn't that their favorite argument for why we can't have ANY gun legislation

It won't stop all gun violence so there is no points in doing anything

I'm starting to think that's just an excuse on their part

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #243 on: August 25, 2015, 10:50:05 AM »
Ohio mulls Down syndrome abortion ban, Kasich mum for now
By Adam Shaw
Published August 24, 2015
FoxNews.com

At left; the Ohio Statehouse. At right, Ohio Gov. John Kasich. (Reuters)

Ohio lawmakers are considering a controversial bill that would ban abortions sought because the baby has Down syndrome, placing the swing state at the center of a new battle for anti-abortion advocates.

The measure also has implications for the 2016 presidential race, as Ohio Gov. John Kasich seeks the Republican nomination and tries to walk a fine line between burnishing his pro-life credentials and positioning himself as a moderate member of the GOP field. He has not taken a position on the legislation.

"The governor is pro-life and believes strongly in the sanctity of human life, but we don't take a public position on every bill introduced into the Ohio General Assembly," Rob Nichols, a Kasich spokesman, told FoxNews.com.

The Ohio bill would ban a physician from performing an abortion if they know the woman is seeking the procedure solely because of a test indicating Down syndrome in the unborn child.

The bill would hold the doctor, not the mother, responsible for violating the proposed law, which carries a penalty of six-to-18 months in jail.

The legislation is unique, though not unprecedented. North Dakota passed a similar measure in 2013 that banned abortions motivated by the sex of the baby; a diagnosis for a genetic abnormality such as Down syndrome; or the potential for a genetic abnormality.

The proposal in politically purple Ohio, though, could have widespread implications, particularly if it spurs even more states to act. According to a 2012 study in the medical journal "Prenatal Diagnosis," U.S. women who receive a fetal diagnosis of Down syndrome choose to have an abortion between 50 and 80 percent of the time, down from 90 percent in 1999 from a study in the same journal.

The legislation is thought to have a good chance of passing. The bill recently passed out of committee in the state House of Representatives on a 9-3 bipartisan vote. Ohio Right to Life, which helped draft the bill, is hoping it will be voted on in a few weeks, when lawmakers return from recess, and reach Kasich’s desk by Christmas.

“What does that say of us as a society if we make decisions about who lives or who dies dependent on if they are going to be an inconvenience, or they are [costing] too much money for health care costs?” Ohio Right to Life President Michael Gonidakis told FoxNews.com. “Someday we are going to find a genetic marker for autism. Are we going to have a 90 percent abortion rate for people with autism? I hope not.”

Gonidakis says he thinks the legislation will pass and Kasich will ultimately sign it.

“We have a track record of being strategic and putting forth an incremental approach to all our initiatives,” Gonidakis said, adding that they have worked with Kasich on roughly a dozen pro-life measures, including a late-term abortion ban.

Republican state Rep. Sarah LaTourette, a co-sponsor of the bill, also told FoxNews.com she is confident the bill will pass.

"While I make no effort to conceal my pro-life convictions, I firmly believe this bill is about discrimination, not abortion. Choosing to end an individual's life simply because they are different, or might have Down syndrome, is discrimination," she said in an email. "There is simply no other way to look at it."

However, if Kasich chooses to back the bill, he is sure to face stiff opposition from pro-choice groups.

"We believe we should all work to ensure people with disabilities are treated with equality and dignity. However, we oppose this ban because it interferes with the medical decisions of Ohioans and does nothing to help people with disabilities or their families,” Kellie Copeland, executive director of NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio, told FoxNews.com.

Copeland said she believes it will be an “uphill battle” to oppose the legislation, but people have flooded her group's phone lines with calls offering donations to fight it.

“We have to make it clear to Gov. Kasich that this is not good health care, this is not what the people of Ohio want,” Copeland said. “This ban would encourage patients to keep information from their doctors and that is bad medicine.”

Gonidakis said he is “100 percent” confident the governor will sign the bill. “He is the most pro-life governor in our state’s history,” he said.

Copeland seemed to agree with Gonidakis: “He’s signed everything they slapped on his desk so far so I don’t see why this would be anything different.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/08/24/ohio-legislature-to-consider-down-syndrome-abortion-ban/?intcmp=hplnws

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #244 on: October 15, 2015, 03:50:34 PM »
Planned Parenthood approved. 

Police search home of Michigan doctor after finding what seems to be fetus parts in car trunk

By  Cody Derespina
Published October 15, 2015
FoxNews.com

Dr. Michael Roth's car allegedly had plastic containers of human tissue in its trunk when cops searched it. (FOX2)

Police in Michigan raided the home and office of an allegedly rogue abortion doctor Tuesday night, following the discovery of what appeared to be a dozen containers of aborted fetus parts and a powerful anesthetic in the trunk of his car.

The grisly discoveries were made after Dr. Michael Roth, an OB/GYN who has been repeatedly sued by patients and sanctioned by health authorities, asked police to retrieve items from his car, which was impounded after Roth allegedly struck a 32-year-old disabled man in West Bloomfield two weeks ago. Roth has not yet been charged in connection with the accident or the aborted remains allegedly found in his car, though local, state and federal authorities are investigating, according to the Detroit Free Press.

"We do have an opinion from the medical examiner's office that this is remnants of conception, but there was nothing that was seen within the containers that were recognizable," West Bloomfield Deputy Chief Curt Lawson told the Detroit Free Press.

“I think that abortion should be available on demand...I haven’t turned anybody down”

- Dr. Michael Roth, 1988

The state Attorney General's Office suspects Roth may be performing illegal abortions, according to Fox2, which cited sources.

Roth is listed as the primary doctor at the Novi Laser & Aesthetic Center in Novi, Mich., about 30 miles northwest of Detroit. The clinic's website says that “with over 30 years of experience, Dr. Roth strives to provide the best possible care for his patients.” Calls placed to the Novi clinic went straight to voicemail, and a listing for Roth's home number was disconnected.

Roth's request for items from his car, including a garage door opener, allegedly turned up a drug later identified as Fentanyl, a drug the Drug Enforcement Administration describes as “potentially lethal, even at very low levels,” and which is frequently used to reduce pain during abortion procedures. That discovery prompted cops to open the trunk, where they allegedly found 14 jars containing suspected fetal parts.

On Tuesday night, police executed a search warrant at Roth’s West Bloomfield apartment and were later seen carrying out grocery bags full of evidence, according to Fox2.

Roth is well known to pro-life groups in Michigan, including one which has posted at least six malpractice complaints and judgments lodged against Roth from 1988 to 2015, some involving home abortions that led to alleged complications and allegedly botched procedures that later necessitated hysterectomies.

“He has a long and sordid history,” Right to Life of Michigan's legislative director Ed Rivet told FoxNews.com. “This isn’t just like, ‘Oh wow, this guy all of a sudden did something off the legal or ethical path.’ This has been a whole career of this stuff.”

A state health inspector found during a January 2002 check that Roth’s drug-control license had expired more than 20 years previously and resulted in Roth being placed on professional probation for six months, fined $15,000 and barred from performing abortions outside of a clinical setting.

He also has been sanctioned for shoddy record-keeping and improprieties in prescribing medication, and in 2012 was fined $2,000 and sanctioned by a state disciplinary committee for a range of violations.

In 2005, Roth's wife claimed in an application for a restraining order that she “lives locked in the basement” out of fear Roth “would continue to assault, attack, molest, wound, follow, confront and otherwise injure her as well as continue to prescribe and administer medication to her.”

A 1988 New York Times article on sex-selective abortions quoted Roth.

“I think that abortion should be available on demand," he said, later adding, “I haven’t turned anybody down.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/10/15/police-search-home-michigan-doctor-after-allegedly-finding-fetus-parts-in-car/?intcmp=hpbt3

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #245 on: January 04, 2016, 10:06:26 AM »
Supreme Court Prepares to Hear Key Texas Abortion Case

Image: Supreme Court Prepares to Hear Key Texas Abortion Case
Sunday, 03 Jan 2016

As the U.S. Supreme Court prepares to hear its first abortion case in nearly a decade, both sides have been quietly gathering vivid personal accounts from women to supplement the dry legal arguments, believing the effort could appeal particularly to swing-vote Justice Anthony Kennedy.

The case, which arises from a challenge to new Texas regulations covering clinics and physicians that perform abortions, could have broad political repercussions in a presidential election year. Depending how the nine justices rule, the court could embolden -- or discourage -- other states in imposing regulations affecting women's access to abortion.

A ruling in the dispute over the socially and politically contentious issue of abortion rights is expected by late June.

Some opponents of abortion are seizing on past comments by Kennedy, who has said that some women come to "regret" the procedure and, while affirming a right to abortion, has voted for certain regulations governing the procedure. Seeking to bolster the argument for Texas's strict requirements, they are signing up women who say they suffered medical complications.

The group of health clinics challenging the state, meanwhile, is trying to counter any perception of abortion as an option used only by the young and inexperienced.

Taking a page from the successful approach of gay-marriage proponents, they have sought lawyers and other professional women who say abortions helped them for economic, medical or other reasons. They hope the vignettes from lawyers will help justices identify with their view.

The diverging experiences will emerge in "friend of the court" briefs - the clinics' set due on Jan. 4, the Texas state government's set on Feb. 3.

The briefs, known as amicus curiae, are compiled to represent the broader outside interests at stake in a case, and are rarely so devoted to personal narratives.

The disputed Texas law requires clinics that perform abortions to have hospital-grade facilities and clinic doctors to obtain admitting privileges at a local hospital.

The clinics challenging the regulations as an unconstitutional burden on women say Texas is using costly, needless requirements to shut down facilities and restrict access to the procedure. Texas counters that it is safeguarding women's health.

The Center for Reproductive Rights (CRR), a New York-based non-profit group, is representing the clinics in the case of Whole Woman's Health v. Cole. Texas's legal strategy is being coordinated in Austin by state Solicitor General Scott Keller, who worked as a law clerk to Kennedy in 2009-2010.

Texas and CRR lawyers would not comment before filing deadlines on details of their respective briefs.

PERSONAL NARRATIVES

For months CRR lawyers have been reaching out for personal testimonies through emails and phone calls, according to women who have been contacted in Texas and elsewhere.

Former Democratic Texas state senator Wendy Davis, who led a filibuster against the abortion legislation in 2013 and revealed her two abortions in a memoir a year later, said she was asked in August to join a brief of public officials. She agreed.

David terminated two pregnancies in the 1990s for medical reasons. "Did I grieve tremendously? Yes, I did, in an indescribable way," she said in an interview with Reuters. "But never did I regret it."

Heather Busby, director of NARAL Pro-Choice Texas in Austin, provided her story for a brief to be filed on behalf of lawyers who had abortions. She said she often wonders whether she would have finished college and gone to law school if she had not ended an unwanted pregnancy at age 22, two decades ago.

Among those preparing briefs to support Texas is lawyer Allan Parker of the San Antonio-based Justice Foundation, which runs an "Operation Outcry" website asking women to sign declarations labeled "How My Abortion Hurt Me."

Parker said many women will not be fully identified in the filing, such as a Cindy H., who lived in Texas and now resides in Washington state.

She told Reuters her uterus was punctured during an abortion in the 1990s in a Texas clinic and she began hemorrhaging. "I thought I could have bled to death," she said.

Separately, Cindy Collins, an outspoken anti-abortion advocate in Louisiana, said she will be lending her full name to that brief about the harms of abortion.

Disputes over abortion rights, like gay marriage, have come down to Kennedy, a 1988 appointee of Republican President Ronald Reagan. Kennedy tipped the balance to the liberal side in gay marriage disputes in 2013 and 2015, notably in last June's landmark ruling for a nationwide right to same-sex marriage.

Over a series of decisions, Kennedy moved consistently toward greater protection for gay men and lesbians. On abortion rights, his record has not been as predictable.

Based on their records, the current four conservatives are likely to favor the Texas law; the four liberals are likely to reject it.

The last time the Supreme Court heard an abortion case, in 2007, Kennedy cited a friend of the court brief from women who said they regretted going through with the procedure.

"While we find no reliable data to measure the phenomenon," Kennedy wrote, "it seems unexceptionable to conclude some women come to regret their choice to abort the infant life they once created and sustained."

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/supreme-court-abortion-texas/2016/01/03/id/707941/#ixzz3wIfbnhRh

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #246 on: January 04, 2016, 10:19:30 AM »
Republicans just love government intrusion.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #247 on: January 12, 2016, 08:47:34 AM »
Cardinal Wuerl on Election: Abortion 'Fundamental Issue,' Has Taught Generation 'It's Alright to Kill'
By Bill Hoffmann
Monday, 11 Jan 2016

The hot-button issue of abortion and the "disrespect for human life" it represents will be a key issue in the upcoming presidential race, Cardinal Donald Wuerl, the Archbishop of Washington, D.C., tells Newsmax TV.

"It remains the fundamental basic issue," the influential Roman Catholic leader said Monday on Newsmax Prime.

"One reason it strikes me, one reason why we are so casual in our country with violence, we see violence exercised with such ease, such disrespect for human life."

Wuerl, who is archbishop of Washington, DC, said that a generation growing up in the wake of the notorious Roe vs. Wade decision, in which the U.S. Supreme Court legalized abortion, has been "taught since they were infants, that it's alright to kill."

"It's all right to kill as long as the person is inconvenient to you and fits into a certain category. This category is nine months or less," he told Newsmax Chief Political Correspondent John Gizzi.

"What we have done is create a mentality that so depreciates the value of life, that all these other things follow very easily. You can't say to someone, life only has the value you give it and expect that they're not going to apply that principle in areas where you might differ."

Wuerl's  archdiocese is currently embroiled in a lawsuit involving the church’s Little Sisters of the Poor Home for the Aged, which has challenged the Affordable Care Act’s requirement that some religious-affiliated organizations provide insurance that includes birth control.

"We're challenging the government on two points. One, we don't believe the government has the right to tell us what we should or shouldn't be doing when it comes to activities that we consider immoral," he told Gizzi.

"And secondly, we don't believe the government has the right to tell us that there's a distinction between what the Gospel tells us to do and how we worship. That's all part of being Catholic, of being part of a religious community.

"So we're in court for multiple reasons and we have to wait and see what the court actually decides. It's outrageous that we're even forced to this point and I know there are those that suggest maybe you should just all shut down."

Wuerl said he is hoping the Supreme Court will come to a decision that "recognizes that the right to religious freedom, the right to religious liberty is every bit as much our right as is the government's right to impose contraceptives."

Wuerl — the former Auxiliary Bishop of Seattle and Bishop of Pittsburgh before being promoted to the cardinalate by Pope Benedict XVI in 2010 — is author of  "Ways to Pray: Growing Closer to God," published by Our Sunday Visitor.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsmax-Tv/cardinal-wuerl-abortion-obamacare/2016/01/11/id/709047/#ixzz3x37wreuQ

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #248 on: February 04, 2016, 10:13:06 AM »
Zika Virus Threat Puts Abortion Rights And Disability Rights On Collision Course
As the epidemic spreads, women's right to an abortion are a hot topic -- but what about the rights of the disabled?
02/04/2016
Chloe Angyal
Front Page Editor, The Huffington Post

FELIPE DANA/ASSOCIATED PRESS
As more cases of Zika virus pop up in the U.S., abortion rights advocates are raising concerns about whether harsh abortion restrictions will affect pregnant women’s ability to terminate pregnancies if they’re infected with the virus.

Zika has been linked to microcephaly, in which babies are born with underdeveloped brains and abnormally small heads. Some cases seen in Brazil and elsewhere in the Americas have been severe. As The Huffington Post reported last week, people born with microcephaly “may suffer from additional ailments, including convulsions, impaired vision and hearing, deformed limbs and severe breathing problems.”

In El Salvador, where abortion is completely outlawed, the government has advised women to simply not get pregnant until 2018. In Brazil and other Latin American countries, the outbreak has officials re-examining strict abortion laws. Here in the U.S., officials have stayed mum on the topic, but abortion rights advocates are rightly wondering what an increase in fetal abnormalities would mean at a time where abortion restrictions -- from lengthy waiting periods to laws designed to shutter clinics -- have left millions of American women without access to abortion care.

But if what the WHO calls an “explosion” of Zika does indeed lead to an uptick in fetal abnormalities in the U.S., the abortion rights movement faces another problem: a coming clash with the disability rights movement.

While abortion rights advocates might well point to Zika-linked microcephaly as evidence that the U.S. needs to liberalize abortion laws, disability rights advocates might argue otherwise. On the issue of abortion, the feminist and disability rights movement often come into uncomfortable conflict as they struggle to accommodate both the rights of a woman to control her own fertility and the rights of people with disabilities to exist.

SUSAN WALSH/ASSOCIATED PRESS
Pro-choice supporters rally outside the Supreme Court in Washington, D.C., Jan. 22, 2016, during the annual March for Life 2016.

Now, with the threat of Zika-linked fetal abnormalities looming, that fault line could well crack open, and at least one thought leader in disability rights is concerned by the hastiness with which calls for loosened abortion restrictions are being made.

There are clear parallels between the experiences of women and those of people with disabilities (not to mention overlaps between the two groups), noted Rosemarie Garland-Thompson, a professor of English at Emory University and a pioneer of the discipline of disability studies. Through much of history, she said, able-bodied women were not allowed to control their own reproduction.

“There’s a long, deep and troubling history of women’s reproduction being taken over by men and by a variety of other cultural institutions,” she told HuffPost. Likewise, people with disabilities have long been subject to reproductive coercion, from the abandonment of newborns with disabilities to mandatory sterilization of women with disabilities. They have, said Garland-Thompson, “been eugenically eliminated from the world through selective abortion and other biomedical practices.”

Both groups have similar histories of subjugation, particularly around medical decision-making. And on the issue of access to abortion, particularly in the age of prenatal fetal testing, those histories collide.

It’s important to note that the causal connection between Zika and microcephaly has not been clearly established. In Colombia, for example, many cases of Zika have been reported, with no corresponding increase in microcephaly. “I think everyone is concerned about that and with good reason, but we don’t know that 100 percent for sure yet. It’s not completely established," said Dr. Anne Davis, a practicing OB-GYN and an associate professor of Clinical Obstetrics at Columbia University.

And, though this week saw the first U.S. case of sexually transmitted Zika, most reproductive rights organizations are calling for a measured response, while the CDC is warning pregnant women to postpone travel to areas affected by Zika.

Complicating the abortion issue is the fact that microcephaly in a fetus cannot be detected until well into the second trimester of a pregnancy. “Late in the first trimester you can see the complete absence of the brain, anencephaly, but not microcephaly,” says Davis, who is also an abortion provider who performs second-trimester abortions.

This presents a problem if microcephaly cases spike in the U.S. One percent of abortions performed in the U.S. happen in the second trimester and when they do, they usually happen because of a threat to the life of the mother or due to fetal abnormalities.

Luiza, who has her head measured at the Mestre Vitalino Hospital in Caruaru, Pernambuco state, Brazil, was born in October with a head just 11.4 inches in diameter, more than an inch below the range doctors define as healthy.

Abortion at this point in a pregnancy is rare and hard to come by. It’s expensive -- often well over $1,000 -- and that’s before you factor in the cost of traveling and accommodation to see the few providers who perform the procedure, skipping days of work for travel and recovery (and waiting periods in between appointments, which some states require), securing childcare for any kids you might already have, and so on. “Once you detect [a fetal abnormality], it’s not like you have an ultrasound and right that second they say ‘OK, if it’s the right choice for you, you can have your abortion,’” Davis says. The longer a woman waits -- to make her choice, or to raise the money to exercise it -- the more expensive the procedure becomes.

Pregnant women who choose to have an abortion when microcephaly shows up in fetal testing have an enormously difficult decision to make, Davis said. She does her best to explain to expecting families what they can expect their child’s life to be like. “It depends on the severity of the microcephaly,” she said. “There’s a range, and you do have some information about that from ultrasounds. We can guide families about the severity of what we see. And that’s where the real conversation occurs, doctor to family, doctor to woman. You can give people some guidance, it’s not just a diagnosis and then you say ‘well we’ll see what happens.’”

Still, it’s not an easy decision, as reproductive rights advocates acknowledge, and considering a potential child's quality of life is central to it. “What we argue for is empowered, informed decision-making,” says Ilyse Hogue, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America. “Women make decisions for all sorts of reasons, and no one walks in their shoes but them. At the end of the day, we could litigate every individual case, but that undercuts the core value that’s at stake, which is that we live in a country that prizes autonomy and information.”

Embedded in the calls for re-examining abortion policies as Zika looms is the assumption that aborting a fetus with microcephaly is ethical and that women will want and should have the right to ability-selective abortions. There’s little room, in the usual pro-choice argument, for the notion that that disabled child has the right to exist, or for questioning the notion that life with a disability is inherently worse than life without one. That having a child with a disability is undesirable is usually taken as a given, not just by pro-choice advocates, but by much of U.S. society.

Somehow, what got written into the idea of reproductive choice and freedom is the assumption no woman is prepared or would want to parent a child with a disability.

Rosemarie Garland-Thompson
Disability rights advocates argue otherwise. "Somehow, what got written into the idea of reproductive choice and freedom and self determination for women is the assumption that no woman is prepared or would want to parent a child with a disability," Garland-Thompson said.

She acknowledges that there are very real challenges involved in parenting a child with disabilities. Raising special needs children can be enormously resource-intensive, and is often done with limited government or other structural support. The same states that are narrowing abortion access “also offer almost no support for women who need quality care for special needs children,” Hogue observed.

Nicole Cliffe, editor of The Toast and the mother of a special needs child, expressed her frustration this week in a series of tweets. “We fail so terribly not just at providing disability resources, but for providing parents (esp[ecially] ESL parents) with the info to ACCESS them," she wrote. "My child needs such minor support and I do not know how people without money and/or education navigate the paperwork and services and hoops."

"It's days off work, it's out-of-pocket therapies until diagnoses kick in, it's fighting your insurance, it's becoming a full-time advocate," she continued. "A kid with disabilities born into poverty should be able to receive adequate support and care, and we just do not provide that.”

How is it just, abortion rights advocates rightly ask, that the government force women to bring children with disabilities into the world under these circumstances? Garland-Thompson isn’t unsympathetic to this argument, but she notes that it wouldn’t hold water were we to substitute “disability” for race or gender.

She blames the lack of public knowledge about the lives of people with disabilities for the widespread belief that ability-selective abortions are normal, desirable and ethical.

“Reproductive self-determination is understood as a kind of carte blanche for women to exercise basically a kind of set of discriminatory attitudes and practices,” she said.

To allow reproductive justice and disability justice to coexist more harmoniously, Garland-Thompson doesn’t advocate restricting reproductive rights any further than they’ve been curtailed. "I think what we have to do is rescript the story: the story of disability is almost always a grim one, particularly in terms of prognosis,” she says. The solution, she argues, is to expand reproductive choices, “but we expand them in a deliberative way. I don’t think we should have a no-questions-asked abortion policy -- we should have a lot of questions asked after viability.” The decision to terminate a pregnancy, she said, “should be a very deliberative process where there is full consideration of all the possible vectors of consideration for women, rather than just “holy shit, I don’t want to have a disabled kid.’”

Daniele Ferreira dos Santos holds her son Juan Pedro, who was born with microcephaly, outside her house in Recife, Pernambuco state, Brazil.

It’s hard to imagine, in the current political climate, how American states might enact policies to genuinely encourage that deliberative process. Disguising hurdles to abortion access as a way of ensuring that women carefully consider their choices -- making them look at the ultrasound image, explaining to them what the fetus looks like -- is a favored tactic of the anti-abortion movement. The result, as Davis says, is that “abortion access has been shrunken down to the size of a postage stamp.” Garland-Thompson is calling for a genuine, non-coercive version of that process, but in the U.S. in 2016, it’s hard to imagine how to protect it from anti-abortion hijacking. She also calls for new policies and systems that will allow all parents, regardless of means and the abilities of their children to flourish.

While that sounds intensely desirable -- as a long-term societal project -- it doesn’t suggest an answer to the fiercely urgent question: what do we do now? What do we do if a few months from now, when mosquito season arrives, hundreds or thousands of low-income women in Texas and Florida find themselves pregnant with fetuses that show severe brain damage? What does ethical behavior look like in the here and now, in this political reality?

As is often the case when it comes to abortion, the stakes are high -- and there are no easy answers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/zika-virus-us-abortion-disability_us_56b2601be4b04f9b57d83192

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #249 on: February 08, 2016, 08:07:09 PM »
Abortion Activists Trash Doritos Super Bowl Commercial Because It “Humanizes Fetuses”
STEVEN ERTELT, MICAIAH BILGER   
FEB 8, 2016   

The abortion activists to NARAL were demonstrably upset last night during the Super Bowl — and not because the Denver Broncos beat the Carolina Panthers in the big game seen bi billions of people across the globe.

No, NARAL had a huge problem with a Super Bowl commercial from Doritos, which shows an unborn baby reacting to his father on an ultrasound screen.

The 30-second commercial (see below) shows a father and mother in a doctor’s office watching the ultrasound of their unborn baby boy. As the father snacks on a bag of chips, he notices that his unborn son is reaching out in the womb, grabbing for the snack. As the father moves the chip near his wife’s stomach, the baby reaches out again.

While most viewers probably thought the ad was cute and pro-life viewers appreciated that ultrasound images of unborn children were seen by millions, the pro-abortion stalwarts at NARAL were beside themselves and trashed the ad as “humanizing fetuses.”

Writing at The Federalist, pro-life columnist Mollie Hemingway had this to say in response:

This is what hating babies and the scientific technology that allows us to see them in utero looks like, I guess.

It’s easy to mock the pro-choice activists’ tweets and headlines deriding depictions of the beauty of human lives that result from a good sex life, but it also speaks to a deeper truth. There is no art or beauty in the pro-choice message, which is about ending human lives after they’ve begun and at their most nascent. Abortion is dark and sterile, even when it’s not performed in Gosnell-like conditions. The pro-life message is artistically overwhelming in its combination of reality and possibility.

Still, NARAL should have known that the best course of action when faced with the beauty of human life is simply to be quiet, not showing the world how much it rejects science and wonder.
Peter Carstairs, a Melbourne, Australia filmmaker who created the life-affirming commercial for the contest, said he was inspired after seeing his second child, Freddy, on an ultrasound screen. Carstairs said the ultrasound image that he used in his commercial actually is his son Freddy, who is now 9-months old.

Though Carstairs manipulated his son’s ultrasound image for the commercial, his portrayal of unborn babies isn’t far from the truth. Studies have shown unborn babies reacting to various stimuli in the womb, including music and sound. Researchers also found that unborn babies develop a sense of taste in the womb and learn to recognize the flavors and spices of the culture’s cuisine.

http://www.lifenews.com/2016/02/08/abortion-activists-trash-doritos-super-bowl-commercial-because-it-humanizes-fetuses/